Page 9 of 125 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Bank & Poké Transporter Thread [READ FIRST POST]

Quote Originally Posted by mr jordaroo View Post
    I'm confused with all this, sorry if its already been asked on this thread

Will the ds games be able to connect to this pokemon bank through the 3ds using standardised wifi? Because ds games use the old style of wifi whereas 3ds games use the new protected wifi which has become the standard in most routers. Basically I can't connect ds games to the internet, but 3ds games i can.

One of the main reasons I was happy with Pokemon X/Y was that I could finally be connected to the internet and trade/ battle online, etc. But if the only way to transfer is through this bank thing, then will the old games be compatible with the new wifi settings?
    Generation IV could only operate on WEP protocol, but Generation V could operate on WPA protocol when used in a Nintendo DSi or newer. But, the Pokémon from the DS games are transferred through the 3DS app into the Bank, so you shouldn't have issues either way.
    4768-7442-5469
    Friend Safari

I want to share the bank with my friend that way we collect more pokemon faster. and share easily..

I don't think this argument is really going anywhere because people feel how they feel, and that's pretty much it. So I'm just going to say one more thing and be on my way.

Re-read what I said midway down page one. I'm not saying this service is BAD. To be honest, I think it is a great service at a great, more-than-fair price! I think there are a LOT of pro's to it, and I think I'd totally subscribe to it for its ease and convenience. It's something that will make playing pokemon a lot more convenient and maybe even more fun.

That said, despite what people want to believe, there ARE potential negatives to it. And I, personally, really don't like the way they are going about it. They could have just offered the cloud services and the increased capacity and all the benefits as brand new paid services. But they took a traditional, almost mandatory feature we've had for over almost a decade for free, and bunched it in with this new service as a way of forcing people into it whether they want all the new benefits or not. I find that to be a little deceitful and dishonest. But maybe that's just me. It just seems like a way to force people into an "optional" service; it's not what I consider to be good business, and I haven't been afraid of voicing that concern about the direction I fear this is going in.
    Last edited by Sid87; 4th September 2013 at 9:19 PM.

Sid87's Gen 6 Igloo Shop!

FC: 3823-9867-2750

Quote Originally Posted by LavaPLUME View Post
    I want to share the bank with my friend that way we collect more pokemon faster. and share easily..
    I believe it operates on a per system basis, so if you both use the same 3DS with your copies, they should share a Bank account.
    4768-7442-5469
    Friend Safari

Quote Originally Posted by EverChanger View Post
    Generation IV could only operate on WEP protocol, but Generation V could operate on WPA protocol when used in a Nintendo DSi or newer. But, the Pokémon from the DS games are transferred through the 3DS app into the Bank, so you shouldn't have issues either way.
    I'm actually having this issue as well. I'm not able to connect Black/White 2 through my 3DS, but 3DS games connect fine.

I know it's a little off topic, but this was a concern for Poke Bank or me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    So how much did you pay for that extra DS that you needed to transfer Pokémon from Gen IV to Gen V?
    Nothing. I have three DS consoles, two of which belonged to my older brother who let me borrow them for transferring purposes. I didn't spend a dime. And $5 may not be a lot, but the fact that we have to spend even a cent to get our old Pokemon into X and Y is enough to get me riled up. I mean it's bad enough that I have to spend over $100 for a 3DS and at least another $40 for Y version. Why should we have to pay for Pokemon Bank at all just to enjoy our Gen 5 Pokemon in Gen 6?

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Nothing. I have three DS consoles, two of which belonged to my older brother who let me borrow them for transferring purposes. I didn't spend a dime. And $5 may not be a lot, but the fact that we have to spend even a cent to get our old Pokemon into X and Y is enough to get me riled up. I mean why should we have to pay at all just to enjoy our Gen 5 Pokemon in Gen 6?
    Guaranteed transfer for a few gens? Totally not worth it.

It's either this or no transfer.

Nothing. I have three DS consoles, two of which belonged to my older brother who let me borrow them for transferring purposes. I didn't spend a dime. And $5 may not be a lot, but the fact that we have to spend even a cent to get our old Pokemon into X and Y is enough to get me riled up. I mean why should we have to pay at all just to enjoy our Gen 5 Pokemon in Gen 6?
    Not everybody has an older brother with two DS consoles. I had to wait 5 months to transfer my Pokemon because I didn't get my 3DS until several months later. If I hadn't gotten the 3DS for my birthday, I would not have been able to transfer my Pokemon. Trust me, $5 is a hell of a lot cheaper than the cheapest DS.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

Nothing. I have three DS consoles, two of which belonged to my older brother who let me borrow them for transferring purposes. I didn't spend a dime. And $5 may not be a lot, but the fact that we have to spend even a cent to get our old Pokemon into X and Y is enough to get me riled up. I mean it's bad enough that I have to spend over $100 for a 3DS at at least another $40 for Y version. Why should we have to pay at all just to enjoy our Gen 5 Pokemon in Gen 6?
    You have a point.. You spent money on the Gen 5 game, shed blood, sweat and tears (as well as spent a lot of time) catching, training and trading your Pokemon to be the very best, that no one ever was.. and then to be told you would have to spend more money or else you can not take your Pokemon with you, as well as buying the Gen 6 game and a 3ds or 2ds...

<-- Click to go to an amazing guild, Edge of Neo Destruction are always recruiting!

Friend Code.. 1220-6368-0567!

Nothing. I have three DS consoles, two of which belonged to my older brother who let me borrow them for transferring purposes. I didn't spend a dime. And $5 may not be a lot, but the fact that we have to spend even a cent to get our old Pokemon into X and Y is enough to get me riled up. I mean it's bad enough that I have to spend over $100 for a 3DS and at least another $40 for Y version. Why should we have to pay for Pokemon Bank at all just to enjoy our Gen 5 Pokemon in Gen 6?
    tbh we have been very lucky they allowed (yes im saying allowed) us to transfer our pokemon in the last gens they didn't have to let us

it was just a handy feature to have at the end of the day they could have made us restart our games every gen if they wanted (which would you be more annoyed at? not being able to get your pokemon or paying a small yearly fee that you don't even need to do if you transfer them within the first month)

Maybe you didn't need to spend money on a 2nd DS (nor did I), but I'm sure there are people out there who are happy they only need to spend $5 a year. Makes people like us a little bit annoyed (though it is only a minor amount, especially when compared to getting a 12 month Xbox Live Gold membership), but it makes others happy. If we had it the usual way, we'd be happy and others would be very annoyed at having to buy a 2nd DS.

Oh wait, here's something good: So you know the free trial in Japan? If that comes to the Americas, Europe and other countries, then you could just transfer over all your Generation V Pokémon during the free trial.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Damn it and I just bought a 2nd 3DS in preparation for X & Y !!
    The concept of being able to store your Pokémon in one game and transfer them to any other is not new - if anyone as old as me can remember Pokémon Stadium on the N64 allowed you to download your Pokémon from one game onto its storage and then onto any other game you wanted as long as you'd caught over 100 in your Dex.
    They changed this with Pokémon Box on the Gamecube and Pokémon Ranch on the Wii so you could only put them back on the same game they'd come off which was really annoying!
    Oh well looks like I'll be paying then lol
    2013 Global Showdown - 418 (1705pts)
    2013 I C June - 261 (1705pts - 18th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2013 UK VGC Birmingham - 127 (10 Championship Points)
    2013 Spring Friendly May - 360 (1655pts)
    2013 I C April - 1195 (1585pts - 86th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 I C March - 1122 (1613pts - 69th in Europe: 1 Championship Point)
    2013 Winter Friendly - 567 (1602pts)
    2013 I C January - DQ'd (1704pts) - Damn RQer's
    2012 VGCS Winter Battle - 240 (1626pts - 39th in Europe: 2 Championship Points)
    2012 Autumn Friendly - DNF (1510pts) - Only managed 6 matches
    2012 I C (Black) - 1879 (1594pts)
    2012 I C (White) - 3334 (1529pts)
    2011 Autumn Friendly - 2760 (1510pts)

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    What if you just want the transfer app and not the cloud storage? You're being ripped off by it being bundled with an additional feature that costs money.
    The problem is that the Nintendo Direct implies the storage app and the transferring app work together. So you will obviously have to move your Pokes from the BW/BW2 carts to the cloud storage boxes and then move those boxes from the cloud servers to your X/Y carts. If you have just the transfer app by itself, by implication, you will only have the mechanic that's responsible for moving Pokemon into new generations, not the storage app that keeps your Pokemon until you change the cart to X/Y.

The interesting (and somewhat unrelated) thing I find about this, is that it says the IV system hasn't been changed, but somehow they HAVE to have accounted for Fairy being a new type, and as such a new Hidden Power type. Could we be seeing a new Hidden Power algorithm? Could we be seeing the Cloud storage as a means of converting the Pokemon files so that they're compatible with Gen VI mechanics?

Finally someone with a decent counterpoint in this argument. I completely forgot about having to pay for things like link cables or extra DSes. However, I still don't see why a standalone transfer app isn't possible, they could simply make a downgraded app that extracts them from the 5th gen games and holds onto them while you switch cartridges. The time those Pokemon would spend in cloud storage would be short enough that they could afford to give it away for free.
    As mentioned above, for the standalone transfer app to work, it would've meant that GameFreak found a way for the DS and 3DS carts to communicate directly. It doesn't sound like that's the case, seeing how the cloud storage appears as a middle-man/arbiter between the two different carts (implying that the best they could do is an indirect communication between the DS and 3DS). If I had to speculate, it's probably that the cloud storage option is the key to this, maybe it also acts as a file converter where it changes the Pokemon files to be made compatible with X and Y. But we won't know unless someone can deconstruct the software (and probably never seeing how guarded the 3DS is against hacking).

This is another question I had, what about 7th gen and onwards. I practically LOLd at that Japanese music star that said she wanted her kids and grandkids to be able to use her Pokemon, I'm not saying that can't happen, but you're probably going to have to do some work to keep them in storage each time a new gen rolls around.
    At least that's a bit better and more feasible than constantly having to think of new transferring methods for each generation, and it puts an end to the constant rumours about "No Poketransfer" that seem to surface each generation (this gen most especially).
    Last edited by BurningWhiteKyurem; 4th September 2013 at 9:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid87 View Post
    I don't think this argument is really going anywhere because people feel how they feel, and that's pretty much it. So I'm just going to say one more thing and be on my way.

Re-read what I said midway down page one. I'm not saying this service is BAD. To be honest, I think it is a great service at a great price! I think there are a LOT of pro's to it, and I think I'd totally subscribe to it for its ease and convenience. It's something that will make playing pokemon a lot more convenient and maybe even more fun.

That said, despite what people want to believe, there ARE potential negatives to it. And I, personally, really don't like the way they are going about it. They could have just offered the cloud services and the increased capacity and all the benefits as brand new paid services. But they took a traditional, almost mandatory feature we've had for over almost a decade for free, and bunched it in with this new service as a way of forcing people into it whether they want all the new benefits or not. I find that to be a little deceitful and dishonest. But maybe that's just me. It just seems like a way to force people into an "optional" service; it's not what I consider to be good business, and I haven't been afraid of voicing that concern about the direction I fear this is going in.
    I think their decision to go to a cloud based service rather than a free in-game service stems from the inability of DS games and 3DS games to communicate. And cloud services are not free what with maintaining the servers and updating security for the things the cloud is supposed to store. In essence, they are no longer using the same free model because it has been outdated and to them, a cloud based service was probably the best way they could go about letting us save our old pokemon with multiple benefits.

And technically they did not lie to us or were being dishonest. They said they were working on a way. Trading up old Gen Pokemon to the new gen was a certainty in the past. However, since they said they were working on a way, there was no precedent and that gave them leeway to think of the best solution to go about it.
    Top five favorite pokemon from each generation:

Normal Type Gym trainer

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5789-0631

Friend Safari Type: Poison; Seviper, Venomoth, and Toxicroak.

Id like to remind people that bought a 2nd DS that it wasn't wasted money as I doubt Pokémon Bank will evolve Trade pokemon lol

I dont like the yearly subscription, I would rather pay a flat amount. But it is a really low amount that I guess anyone should be able to be happy with.

I do really like the idea of an easily accessible way to transfer pokemon on and off your game so you can restart your game if you like. I like to do multiple playthroughs on my games but my collection of pokemon makes that way too unmanagable.

All I have to say is.... A very bold move for nintendo and gamefreak.
    Pokemon Bank is a very smart concept, providing you with storage for 3,000 pokemon which im sure is going to be more than 3 times the total pokemon. Well one may think this will not be neccassary, it sort of is. If gamefreak provide insufficient storage you will need it if you are a collector even BEFORE considering old pokemon. I think its great that you can transfer and store all of you lr pokemon, but perhaps the cleverest move is making it purchasable. A great money maker this. And as I am somewhat of a collector, I will be puchasing.
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

Jesus people we're talking about five dollars here, not an extra limb. If you can honestly tell me you have no way to get five dollars in 365 days, then you aren't being creative enough. If this was a monthly charge, yeah I could understand, but we're talking about a year, a YEAR.

Also, they plan on working on this so it works for future generations. The point of this was so that there wouldn't be anymore problems with cross-gen trading, hence the example of that actress talking about her wanting her grandkids to see her Pokemon when she played.

The only negative side to this is possible hacking which is going to be tried, lets not kid our selves.
    #BuyUltraviolance

I don't like paying extra money. I am paying for the game, that should be more than enough. The price is very low, though, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Sid87 View Post
    Except your point assumes that transferring was always free. As I explained to Bolt the Cat, that concept was and will always be an illusion. The system in place forced people that did not have friends/siblings that play Pokemon to buy another console to transfer their Pokemon from Gen IV > V (Gen III > IV is especially ridiculous if you owned a DSi with no GBA port, and didn't have a DS Lite). As you said yourself, you spent 70 bucks on 2 3DSs, that's still more money than a $5 annual fee that you can cancel at any time.

Not to mention, back in Gen I, you had to buy a link cable to move Pokemon between Gens I and II. Either way, there was always something proprietary about transferring dating back to Gen I, 5 bucks in comparison to all of that really isn't bad. The closest comparable DLC to Poketransfer, is what happened to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. You had limited time to get free DLC until it became paid events. The same thing is happening with Poketransfer with the advent of free trial.

We cannot really judge it until we have seen how well it does, and many other things..

Like is the cloud storage hackable? Allowing people to delete everyones Pokemon..

I mean it is the first time they have done something like this, it could be incredibly glitchy and cause massive errors.

<-- Click to go to an amazing guild, Edge of Neo Destruction are always recruiting!

Friend Code.. 1220-6368-0567!

Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Damn it and I just bought a 2nd 3DS in preparation for X & Y !!
    The concept of being able to store your Pokémon in one game and transfer them to any other is not new - if anyone as old as me can remember Pokémon Stadium on the N64 allowed you to download your Pokémon from one game onto its storage and then onto any other game you wanted as long as you'd caught over 100 in your Dex.
    They changed this with Pokémon Box on the Gamecube and Pokémon Ranch on the Wii so you could only put them back on the same game they'd come off which was really annoying!
    Oh well looks like I'll be paying then lol
    Not a bad thing you bought a 2nd 3DS. How else will you evolve trade-only Pokémon in XY?

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

People have got to get with the times. This is modern day gaming people.
    Finally completed the Pokedex and Obtained them all.

Time to prepare for X and Y!

Genuinely surprised people are still complaining about this. If they'd said it would be Ł15/$22-$25, I still wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

Nobody seems to understand the costs of technology/servers etc. Do some research people! $5 is cheap as chips.

Rant over :P

3DS Friend Code: 2750-1184-2669 (Pokemon X - 3DS/Game Name: Dave)

Quote Originally Posted by Tytus View Post
    I'm actually having this issue as well. I'm not able to connect Black/White 2 through my 3DS, but 3DS games connect fine.
    Pokémon BW & B2W2 all are DSi enhanced, which means that they should operate using the connection settings for Nintendo 3DS games. They should work under any security settings for your router that the 3DS will accept. For example, my Black 2 can connect to Wi-Fi with the 3DS game settings pointing to a WPA2-PSK (AES) connection. I don't know what could be wrong...

For any help regarding this issue, maybe you should consult the Tech Help board or the B2W2 Help Thread. I also found this, which may also help.
    4768-7442-5469
    Friend Safari

Page 9 of 125 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast