Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Harry Potter general fan thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1988 View Post
    Maybe. It still seems strange though. If I had a some mad bloke and his army of sychophants out to get me, I'd be training all the time to make sure I didn't get killed. Harry doesn't get any extra training in defence or in duelling. He doesn't even continue the D.A, another thing that he actually enjoyed as he felt like he was making a difference and maybe giving his friends a fighting chance. It's a strange thing that Harry facd of one of the biggest Dark Lords ever with only six years' worth the the standard Hogwarts curriculum for Defence Against the Dark Arts under his belt (and even that's debateable after Quirrel, Lockhart and Umbridge were done with the course). In fact, most of the spells Harry ever uses in battle are ones that Harry and Hermione chose for him to learn during the Tri-Wizard Tournement.
    He beat Voldemort with deus ex machina, which was disappointing since I expected them to have a real duel. I was just disappointed that Harry didn't learn any advanced magic. Like you said, he mostly used the spells he learned for the Triwizard Tournament during the last three books and he became predictable. It's like he didn't advance any from that point and it was one of my biggest problems with the second half of the series. And Harry's angst was actually entertaining in book five imo. I actually laughed a few times when he would explode and rant about how terrible his life was. He was so dramatic about it, but at least Rowling addressed his growing arrogance. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    He beat Voldemort with deus ex machina, which was disappointing since I expected them to have a real duel.
    Not really when you think about the Elder Wand and how it works. Voldemort had the Elder Wand when he wasn't the true master, and because the Wand recognized its master, when Voldemort tried to use the Killing Curse, it backfired on him. Though yeah, I wish the duel went on longer, but it's like Voldemort was addicted to the Killing Curse due to how easy it is to just point the wand at someone and chant the spell and that there's really no countercurse. So obviously, Voldemort was going to use his signature spell to try and shorten the duel.

And Harry's angst was actually entertaining in book five imo. I actually laughed a few times when he would explode and rant about how terrible his life was. He was so dramatic about it, but at least Rowling addressed his growing arrogance. :P
    I always felt it was rather jarring to suddenly read dialogue in all-caps, even though it appeared to have been the norm since the first book. When it came to the all-caps, what I thought was unintentionally hilarious was in the first book when Harry had that nightmare about the Forbidden Forest or something, and he was screaming (paraphrased): "AAAAAAARRRRRGHHH--NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Took up like an entire line or something, I couldn't take it seriously. (Didn't help I had no idea what was really going on, anyway.)
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I just saw the half blood prince movie yesterday! I loved it and felt really bad for hermione ): she loves Ron . I think Luna deserves more love . I really like her character
    I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature.(Started by Tyranitar)

'Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favourites.' - Karen

[IMG]http://oi43.*******.com/sawqqo.jpg[/IMG] I have officially claimed Jumpluff

I just wanted to respond to this thread and say I love the Harry Potter series. I haven't read too many books, but the HP books was a series I don't regret reading. I loved the setting, story, the magic, but most of all the characters. I hated that a lot of the secondary characters died, but I understand why. The 3 main characters are all great, but Hermione is my favorite character.

I recently read that there is going to be another movie based in the HP universe. Idk for sure if that rumor is true, but I am hoping so.
    Pokémon Y Friend Code: 4441-9508-9799
    In-game name: Daniel

I have an Electric Safari: Dedenne, Helioptile, and Luxio.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueLapras View Post
    I recently read that there is going to be another movie based in the HP universe. Idk for sure if that rumor is true, but I am hoping so.
    Not a rumour.

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Cool. Thanks for letting me know. I was hoping for more Harry, Hermione, and Ron (and the others)... maybe one day. This new movie sounds good though. I'm sure I'll go watch it.
    Pokémon Y Friend Code: 4441-9508-9799
    In-game name: Daniel

I have an Electric Safari: Dedenne, Helioptile, and Luxio.

I think the new HP movie will flop. There just isn't much hype for the movie at the moment and I personally have no plans to watch it. It just seems like they're milking the franchise for all it's worth and that will probably cause more harm than good. I wouldn't have minded a Tales of Beedle the Bard movie though. That would have been interesting.

A new movie based on the creatures of Harry Potter. I'm in; beats all the crap that's nothing but vampires,zombies and tweenie boppers that's been coming out!

I think the new HP movie will flop. There just isn't much hype for the movie at the moment and I personally have no plans to watch it. It just seems like they're milking the franchise for all it's worth and that will probably cause more harm than good. I wouldn't have minded a Tales of Beedle the Bard movie though. That would have been interesting.
    I don't know - the simple fact that it is even remotely related to the HP universe will ensure that the fans flock to see it, or the first at least (I believe it's going to be a series now, but don't quote me on that!)
    Personally I don't see how following Newt Scamander around as he writes his book will be all that interesting. Now, if it were done in the style of a nature documentary with Luna narrating, there you have something interesting.
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

Current Y team (champions)

Current X team (6th gym badge won)

anyone hear about the new harry potter movie thats in the works. It takes place like 70 years before harry's birth or something like that. I'm excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Heldigunner1 View Post
    anyone hear about the new harry potter movie thats in the works. It takes place like 70 years before harry's birth or something like that. I'm excited.
    Haven't heard about that, but if it is happening then I would be excited to see it!

" You called me out upon the waters
    The great unknown, Where feet may fail
    And there I find You in the mystery
    In oceans deep, my Faith will stand ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Heldigunner1 View Post
    What the hell would it be about? Dumbledore?
    Credit goes to MagicMochi. Check out their shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder
    While it is very reminiscent of a lot of journey trainer fics, it held my attention. It stands out among a lot of the other fics I've read lately and I'm excited to continue the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lucario View Post
    What the hell would it be about? Dumbledore?
    No, it's about a wizard called Newt Scamander who wrote the book "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them."
    Friend code: 5257-9947-2315. PM me so I can add you too. Safari contains Phanpy, Marowak and Palpitoad.

Current Y team (champions)

Current X team (6th gym badge won)

@ shadow lucario honestly, i think if they did do a dumdledoor side thing, it would be pretty cool. i could see it almost as a syfy original mini. that could be just me.

am i the only one that wants one of the new movies to be based on Hogwarts: A History?

Click the images to help a single parent raise his dragon children

Quote Originally Posted by scizor lover View Post
    am i the only one that wants one of the new movies to be based on Hogwarts: A History?
    Well maybe not by itself, but as we only ever got word-of-mouth about who the founders are and their roles in Hogwarts, something about them alone would be interesting to see. Especially since I don't believe we ever got the full story behind Godric Gryffindor and Salazar Slytherin as the two used to be friends. (Yeah, I'm sure it was because the two had very different mindsets, but there must've been more to it.) I always wondered if we were ever going to see them as spirits or something, but it never really happened, particularly with Godric Gryffindor. Though the other two deserve their share in the spotlight as well.
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

He beat Voldemort with deus ex machina, which was disappointing since I expected them to have a real duel. I was just disappointed that Harry didn't learn any advanced magic. Like you said, he mostly used the spells he learned for the Triwizard Tournament during the last three books and he became predictable. It's like he didn't advance any from that point and it was one of my biggest problems with the second half of the series. And Harry's angst was actually entertaining in book five imo. I actually laughed a few times when he would explode and rant about how terrible his life was. He was so dramatic about it, but at least Rowling addressed his growing arrogance. :P
    In my opinion the whole book was Harry fighting Voldamort. Think about about it Harry had to find and destroy the Hourcruxs that housed parts of Voldy's soul. In each one there where tricks and spells that tried to prevent them form doing so. After all the Hourcruxs where destroyed only than could Voldamort's mortal body be finally killed. It was like Voldamort was a Hydra and Harry had to cut of the heads first before than killing the body.

Quote Originally Posted by leafgreen5050 View Post
    I think Luna deserves more love . I really like her character
    This. I totally agree with this. Initially my favourite was Hermione, but then Luna was introduced in book 5... I really wish she had been a part of the "main group" after that, especially at the end during the Deathly Hallows hunt. But no, instead they handed her the distress ball. What I find really strange is how her father actually tried to turn Harry and friends in just to get Luna back. Given how cuckoo he is himself, I wouldn't have thought he would take such drastic measures as that. He was still a lunatic... but in a bad way.

My other favourite characters are Dobby, Sirius, Severus, and (oddly enough) Bellatrix. The former is just too lovable to resist. And then he has his heroic moment in book 7... and that's the end of him. Sirius and Severus both receive credit for a blend of interesting yet dark backstory and nobility and willpower in the face of it. Plus I love how despite how dark and serious they both are, they ultimately act out of love. I was really upset when both of them were killed of, thus...

And as for Bellatrix, I always have a thing for characters who are evil and twisted in a cool way, especially if they are incredibly sadistic and equally hate-worthy as they are coolness-worthy. Especially if said character is female, for some reason. Bellatrix satisfies all of these criteria, especially with her love of using the Cruciatus Curse (which I believe is way more evil than the Killing Curse as it actually causes suffering rather than just... killing someone). In a way, I believe she was more evil than Voldemort, with all the bad things she did to characters such as Neville's grandparents and especially Sirius. So unlike the others, I actually cheered when she died. Especially in the movie, because Mrs. Weasley cussing her out beforehand made it all the more epic.

Truly, the reason why I enjoyed the story so much wasn't because of Harry himself (he was kind of meh as a character to me, not to mention a major Gary Stu), but because of the interesting characters around him and (even moreso) the world it takes place in, the ideas and concepts and everything. If only a school like Hogwarts existed in real life...
    Actually, the Grey School of Wizardry is pretty darn similar, or at least the closest real-world equivalent, but still not the same - no actual flying broomsticks or hippogriff rides, or even the same type of spells, sadly.

I have claimed Celestia Ludenberg from Dangan Ronpa. --My Updated RPer profile--

RPG's I'm in now: Gauntlet of the Greek God Guardians (Zuri), Castle of the Vampire King (Bianca and Lilith)
    Current RPG Project: Earthbound: The Rainbow Omen (Sign-ups) (RPG thread) (Discussion)

I remember when the fifth book came out that my mom (correctly in hindsight) predicted the house elves would have a role in the final battle (the house elves were her favorite in the books), if not being the key to victory. I unfortunately don't remember what it was she said about them, but she mentioned how the house elves do have power that most of us may have overlooked. She personally told me and a few other of her acquaintances about it, though they apparently pretend that she never said anything even though she was all "I told you" for a little bit afterwards.

However, I can back this up a bit by pointing out this little essay someone made about the house elves and their roles in the final book. In particular, it points out Kreacher and Dobby and how they progressed into their final characterizations for Deathly Hallows. Very interesting insight, if I do say so myself.
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by WildHennaCharizard View Post
    In my opinion the whole book was Harry fighting Voldamort. Think about about it Harry had to find and destroy the Hourcruxs that housed parts of Voldy's soul. In each one there where tricks and spells that tried to prevent them form doing so. After all the Hourcruxs where destroyed only than could Voldamort's mortal body be finally killed. It was like Voldamort was a Hydra and Harry had to cut of the heads first before than killing the body.
    I personally didn't think the enchantments that Voldemort put in place to protect his Horcruxes were that impressive; the only exception being the cave where Slytherin's locket was hidden which was difficult to get into since it was well-hidden, then there was the lake full of Inferi, and then the potion that had to be drunk in order to retrieve the locket. Those were impressive enchantments but Hufflepuff's cup wasn't that well protected imo. The vault where it was hidden could have easily been broken into by a goblin so if one of them had learned about its location, they could've gotten in whenever they wanted. The spells that made the items inside the vault multiply and get hot were interesting, but not completely fool proof either. And Marvolo's ring apparently had little to no protection which is why Voldemort was worried that Harry might have gotten the ring once he learned that Harry broke into Gringotts, and then Ravenclaw's diadem had virtually no protection itself.
    Last edited by Lorde; 7th October 2013 at 7:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    I remember when the fifth book came out that my mom (correctly in hindsight) predicted the house elves would have a role in the final battle (the house elves were her favorite in the books), if not being the key to victory. I unfortunately don't remember what it was she said about them, but she mentioned how the house elves do have power that most of us may have overlooked. She personally told me and a few other of her acquaintances about it, though they apparently pretend that she never said anything even though she was all "I told you" for a little bit afterwards.

However, I can back this up a bit by pointing out this little essay someone made about the house elves and their roles in the final book. In particular, it points out Kreacher and Dobby and how they progressed into their final characterizations for Deathly Hallows. Very interesting insight, if I do say so myself.
    I felt as though just about everything Rowling introduced in a previous book played a part in [The] Deathly Hallows. I think this reflects just how much planning was put into the series.

I also remember how Luna x Neville was the only ship I've ever participated in... Even though they didn't end up together... : /
    font size one

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234