Page 6 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Quote Originally Posted by Flame metal View Post
    How do you teach a togekiss moonblast? Is it an egg move? I hope not, then I will have to use dazzling gleam instead.
    http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/468.shtml

You'll have to use Dazzling Gleam anyway. It doesn't get Moon Blast.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post

You'll have to use Dazzling Gleam anyway. It doesn't get Moon Blast.
    yeah i just found that out unfortunately...on a side note dazzeling gleam is very awesome. what held item should i use for my bold serene grace togekiss?
    FCcoming soon)
    Favourite Pokemoncoming soon)
    Current Line-up:
    Tyranitar
    Togekiss
    Gengar
    Starmie
    Aegislash
    Alakazam

Quote Originally Posted by Flame metal View Post
    yeah i just found that out unfortunately...on a side note dazzeling gleam is very awesome. what held item should i use for my bold serene grace togekiss?
    Leftovers will almost always be the ideal item for bulky attackers such as Togekiss. Unless there is an Item Clause in effect, that is.

hey guys quick question about competitive play

so i've been farming dittos like crazy lately, found lots of crap ones but i've found some golden boys as well and i'm just curious if they are good enough to breed competitive pokemon

for example; i have a ditto with IV stats 29/22/29/29/31/31.. the numbers that are not 31 are not guaranteed and may have one more or less on the numbers

now this is the single best ditto i've caught to date.. even better than my 4 x 31 IV ditto that has a 5 iv in both HP and Speed

but my question remains, is the ditto above good enough to create a special sweeper that can even stand up to say a perfect IV spred?

will the 2 points less in HP, Def and SpA make all the difference?
    3DS Friend Code 0473-8400-6843
    My Friend Safari contains Mankey, Pancham and Tyrogue

Is it actually worth it to train your pokemon to level 100 if they are just going to get halved to level 50 in competitive battling? Basically, is there a difference between a level 100 or level 80 for competitive?
    X and Y Friend Code: 2079-7318-8031

but my question remains, is the ditto above good enough to create a special sweeper that can even stand up to say a perfect IV spred?

will the 2 points less in HP, Def and SpA make all the difference?
    No, 2 points hardly makes a difference at all. The only exception is really in speed, in which it garuntees a pokemon of the same base speed will outrun it, but even then, that's rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilchiz34 View Post
    Is it actually worth it to train your pokemon to level 100 if they are just going to get halved to level 50 in competitive battling? Basically, is there a difference between a level 100 or level 80 for competitive?
    If you play at level 50, then no, there is not difference.

Ok so I just finished breeding my perfect charmander (jolly, 31/31/31/x/31/31, dd egg move) and I'm looking for two more mons to create my battle maison team. I suck at team building and am new to this altogether. Any suggested mons or such?

I was wondering if anyone might be able to assist me. I've been striving to add an Evolite Rhydon to my team for a while now, but I'm torn on how I should spread stats. Would it be worthwhile do you think to add some EVs into its Spec Defense? i know Rhydon suffers from a poor Sp.D base anyway, so would it even make much difference? Even with Evolite?
    Achievement: Kalos Dex - Fully Completed

X Friend Code: 4742-5346-1092 (Contains Tangela and Ivysaur, Maractus)
    (Pm me your code if you add me, so I can add you!)

Shines Owned:
    <3 <3

Quote Originally Posted by sugbukz View Post
    Ok so I just finished breeding my perfect charmander (jolly, 31/31/31/x/31/31, dd egg move) and I'm looking for two more mons to create my battle maison team. I suck at team building and am new to this altogether. Any suggested mons or such?
    What are you doing with that Charmander? MegaX? If so you are going to want something that can deal with Fairies and common EQ users as that would be your biggest issues with M-CharizardX. Any idea on what you plan on for a moveset? That will help with determining coverage weaknesses.

That said, it is probably best to choose a second Pokemon you like that doesn't overlap with that Charizard and then figure out your third based on what those two don't cover. For example, I run Azumarill and M-Lucario which offers pretty good coverage, so I ended up using a hazards Pokemon for my third slot to make their jobs easier.

3DS Friend Code: 4468-1031-4570

If a pokemon is confused and goes first but hurts themselves in confusion, does the move "Payback" still get double the damage?
    X and Y Friend Code: 2079-7318-8031

Quote Originally Posted by lilchiz34 View Post
    If a pokemon is confused and goes first but hurts themselves in confusion, does the move "Payback" still get double the damage?
    I don't believe so. I always thought the opponent had to deal damage to you directly for it to do double damage.

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitAngel View Post
    What are you doing with that Charmander? MegaX? If so you are going to want something that can deal with Fairies and common EQ users as that would be your biggest issues with M-CharizardX. Any idea on what you plan on for a moveset? That will help with determining coverage weaknesses.

That said, it is probably best to choose a second Pokemon you like that doesn't overlap with that Charizard and then figure out your third based on what those two don't cover. For example, I run Azumarill and M-Lucario which offers pretty good coverage, so I ended up using a hazards Pokemon for my third slot to make their jobs easier.
    Yes I'm going to run megaX with a move set of: dd, flare blitz,dragon claw, eq. I was thinking of running it with a jolteon perhaps. If I did that I'd need a support or hazard/defogger for my third I presume?

I would be hesitant about adding something that doesn't resist ground to be honest with you. Skarmory may be a good idea for some tankiness that can set up Spikes/Toxic/Taunt/Roost I would pick three of those and add in Brave Bird incase you get out Taunted - maybe Spikes Roost Taunt Bravebird (or if you don't care about them setting up, switch Taunt for Toxic). That said, you don't see many hazards in Maison from what I have seen, so I wouldn't worry about a dedicated Spinner. A Wish Togekiss (or Wish/Heal Bell if you can get that over from B2W2 when Pokebank opens) may be a good option? You get your support from there.

Either of them prevents a Scarfed Excadrill from wiping your team?

I prefer Spider Web as an entry hazard with Rocks on top of that if possible, but outside of a Smeargle that wouldn't be an option on a single Pokemon. Setup Smeargles aren't typically fast enough to outspeed the faster taunters I see in Maison though.
    Last edited by CircuitAngel; 20th November 2013 at 2:45 PM.

Ok cool thanks for the ideas!

I was wondering if anyone might be able to assist me. I've been striving to add an Evolite Rhydon to my team for a while now, but I'm torn on how I should spread stats. Would it be worthwhile do you think to add some EVs into its Spec Defense? i know Rhydon suffers from a poor Sp.D base anyway, so would it even make much difference? Even with Evolite?

Shines Owned:
    <3 <3

Quote Originally Posted by CircuitAngel View Post
    I would be hesitant about adding something that doesn't resist ground to be honest with you. Skarmory may be a good idea for some tankiness that can set up Spikes/Toxic/Taunt/Roost I would pick three of those and add in Brave Bird incase you get out Taunted - maybe Spikes Roost Taunt Bravebird (or if you don't care about them setting up, switch Taunt for Toxic). That said, you don't see many hazards in Maison from what I have seen, so I wouldn't worry about a dedicated Spinner. A Wish Togekiss (or Wish/Heal Bell if you can get that over from B2W2 when Pokebank opens) may be a good option? You get your support from there.

Either of them prevents a Scarfed Excadrill from wiping your team?

I prefer Spider Web as an entry hazard with Rocks on top of that if possible, but outside of a Smeargle that wouldn't be an option on a single Pokemon. Setup Smeargles aren't typically fast enough to outspeed the faster taunters I see in Maison though.
    Just as a heads up, spikes suck in 3vs3 matches.

Don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask but here goes:

I had a 3 vs 3 unranked wifi battle.
    It came down to my Politoed and the opponents Umbreon.

I use Perish Song and we stall each other to death.

I was expecting a tie, but my Toed dies first then Umbreon and the opposition won the bout.....what gives??

Quote Originally Posted by Handle Name: Ak-48 View Post
    Don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask but here goes:

I had a 3 vs 3 unranked wifi battle.
    It came down to my Politoed and the opponents Umbreon.

I use Perish Song and we stall each other to death.

I was expecting a tie, but my Toed dies first then Umbreon and the opposition won the bout.....what gives??
    If I'm not mistaken, the game will give the win to the opponent every time. I think the game doesn't like tie matches between two live players, unlike what it will do in offline mode.

Shines Owned:
    <3 <3

Quote Originally Posted by Melevolence View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the game will give the win to the opponent every time. I think the game doesn't like tie matches between two live players, unlike what it will do in offline mode.
    Thanks for that.

I was mad and feel that a tie was warranted.

Thy defeats the purpose if I lose regardless and I could have forfeit.

Quote Originally Posted by Handle Name: Ak-48 View Post
    Thanks for that.

I was mad and feel that a tie was warranted.

Thy defeats the purpose if I lose regardless and I could have forfeit.
    It sucks, but I guess the game doesn't want people to do the 'I'm taking you with me' strat when its down to the last 2 Pokémon. At the same time, it robs someone of a victory if they have earned it, especially after a close fight.

Shines Owned:
    <3 <3

Repost: I'm learning the basics of competitive teams and I was wondering what Pokemon can go well for Salamence (Mix Attacker), Ninjask (Baton Passer), and Forretress (Spinner) ?
    Credit goes to kyogreblue3 for the banner and Fairywitch for the userbar.

Quote Originally Posted by luigiis View Post
    Repost: I'm learning the basics of competitive teams and I was wondering what Pokemon can go well for Salamence (Mix Attacker), Ninjask (Baton Passer), and Forretress (Spinner) ?
    I'm not a pro by any means, but I'll give my input For a Baton Passer, I'm not sure if Ninjask will hold up. He is without a doubt quick enough, but it seems like you would have to hope for a good opening or pray he isn't paired up poorly if you plan on starting a battle with him. I myself am trying to figure out a good Passer for a Rhyperior Sweeper I want to try to put together, but only Scizor seems to come to mind as a reliable choice. Strong, fast with recovery until he gets the Pass.

Edit* To explain a little better about Ninjask, the reason I personally wouldn't pick him is soley due to his very poor defenses. If you can get him in though on their obvious wall, and can get the boosts off, then he isn't bad. His Speed Boost is cool since you can pass on at least an agility-equivalent boost along with a swords dance or two. Again, one strong hit and its all wasted though

As for Spinners, I think most people may start using Defog over Spinners once Pokébank comes out, mostly because Defog can't be walled by Ghost types like Rapid Spin can. But, most say Foretress is one of the better Spinners, since Bug/Steel seems to be one of the best typings out there (Just watch out for a Flame-Blast/Thrower).
    Last edited by Melevolence; 21st November 2013 at 2:47 AM. Reason: better insight

Shines Owned:
    <3 <3

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Just as a heads up, spikes suck in 3vs3 matches.
    No doubt, I really don't bother with any hazards in 3v3; it is a very different meta game. Since he is looking for a 3 person team though, I assume he is focused on Singles and Super Singles; in that case Spikes can be useful for breaking Sashes/Sturdies

Correct I'm doing super singles

Is there a way to play 6v6 rated battles on wifi or is it only 3v3? On the 3ds
    Shinys up for trade:
    Shack - 1392-5021-7831 Safari.

Page 6 of 69 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast