Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1656

Thread: Ask a Question Thread - READ FIRST POST

Mega Ampharos is not the best partner for Greninja. Sure, the two are a decent duo, but there is no "best partner" for Greninja. They are both hard walled by specially bulky Fairies and specially bulky Pokemon in general, and can only really hurt certain team styles.

A partner for Greninja that I personally love is Mega Mawile, as the two each do an incredible job at eliminating the other's counters. Mawile dispatches pink blobs and bulky fairies that laugh at Greninja, while Extrasensory Greninja can defeat Mega Venusaur and Gliscor/Hippowdon. The core beats both offensive teams and many defensive teams alike, and in general is pretty solid. Pair it with a Lati@s to provide extra Mega Venu insurance and put pressure on many bulky Waters, and you have yourself a great core that can pressure many teams.

If you are set on using Mega Amphy, however, use Dragon Pulse, Thunderbolt/Focus Blast, and Thunder Wave in the other slots.

I will definetely keep your suggestion in mind but ill try with mega ampharos first to see how it works for me, thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by LegitReason View Post
    sounds interesting. other than volt switch which moves would you recomend?
    Dragon pulse is pretty obligatory, as is discharge/thunderbolt. As for the last move, I'd suggest either focus blast or cotton guard as the former gives it coverage while the latter makes it scarily bulky after one turn (calcs below).

252+ Atk Mamoswine Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 344-408 (89.5 - 106.2%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
    252+ Atk Mamoswine Earthquake vs. +3 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Ampharos: 138-164 (35.9 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252+ SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Dragon Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 274-324 (64.6 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    ~Currently own: X and Y (4597-0364-2569), current 6th gen OU record: 199W/44L/6D-, UU record: 31W/0L/4D
    NXT fan, RU supporter, and steam enthusiast.

Don't forget Heal Bell! It's a pretty rare move to come by, and it's a pretty solid move since Mega Ampharos is arguably the best offensive Heal Bell user in the game. This makes it a pretty decent option on balanced teams that might need some way to eliminate status problems and take that weight off the team's shoulders and will appreciate the unique typing, bulk, and raw power that Mega Ampharos brings to the table. Your best bet for an offensive moveset is probably something like Volt Switch / Dragon Pulse / Focus Blast with Heal Bell, Discharge, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave, etc. filling in the last slot, depending on what your team needs.
    Last edited by jesusfreak94; 18th April 2014 at 3:51 AM.

Hey i have got an odd question, im heading to a local tordemnt soon and OU however there is a catch NO legendary . So this makes a problem i have Heatran on my sand storm team which i would like to use however i can not use heatran and i am unsure a pokemon that can fill in it defensive role

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Def
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Roar
    - Protect

that the heatran im using does anyone have a good alternative

Quote Originally Posted by insanejames View Post
    Hey i have got an odd question, im heading to a local tordemnt soon and OU however there is a catch NO legendary . So this makes a problem i have Heatran on my sand storm team which i would like to use however i can not use heatran and i am unsure a pokemon that can fill in it defensive role

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Calm Nature
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Roar
    - Protect

that the heatran im using does anyone have a good alternative
    We'll want to know the rest of the team for synergy purposes, or at least the defensive core it participates in.

Anyway, if you're looking for a MCY/Volcarona/Fire in general counter, I presume you already have Tyranitar on this team and with an Assault Vest it will fulfill that role. As for the offensive capabilities, a Volcarona of your own could do a fair job, as long as you have Spin/Defog support.

Would speed passing (speed boost + baton pass) into a stored power user be a viable strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by Natural View Post
    Would speed passing (speed boost + baton pass) into a stored power user be a viable strategy?
    Stored Power is for the most part only effective in BP chains, though the Pokemon that can take advantage of Stored Power (Espeon, Clefable, and Sigilyph come to mind) are either fast enough to not really need it or too slow to make use of it. They all also have self-sufficient methods of boosting Stored Power's strength.

It would work, but in most cases would not be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Imposter View Post
    We'll want to know the rest of the team for synergy purposes, or at least the defensive core it participates in.

Anyway, if you're looking for a MCY/Volcarona/Fire in general counter, I presume you already have Tyranitar on this team and with an Assault Vest it will fulfill that role. As for the offensive capabilities, a Volcarona of your own could do a fair job, as long as you have Spin/Defog support.
    thanks for that the rest of the team is odd but works for me

Hippowdon (F) @ Smooth Rock
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Slack Off
    - Stealth Rock
    - Whirlwind

Excadrill @ Life Orb
    Ability: Sand Rush
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Rapid Spin
    - Rock Slide

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Calm Nature
    - Lava Plume
    - Earth Power
    - Roar
    - Protect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
    Ability: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Calm Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Giga Drain
    - Sleep Powder
    - Sludge Bomb

Goodra @ Assault Vest
    Ability: Gooey
    EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Thunderbolt
    - Sludge Wave
    - Flamethrower

im a very slow player taking the offene to early is not my style

Another question an I will be self-sustaining for a while
    I generally like to run bulky offensive + stall (even before I knew what those were) and think I read set up sweepers are a the awnser to those teams. My question is, would imposter ditto be a good addition to a team like that? And can ditto pass down imposter to its ditto offspring?

Another question an I will be self-sustaining for a while
    I generally like to run bulky offensive + stall (even before I knew what those were) and think I read set up sweepers are a the awnser to those teams. My question is, would imposter ditto be a good addition to a team like that? And can ditto pass down imposter to its ditto offspring?
    Ditto cannot breed, meaning that you have to actually catch a perfect one in order to use it. To answer the first part, I would only ever use ditto on a stall team due to its ability to completely shut down boosting sweepers that try to set up alongside your pokemon.
    ~Currently own: X and Y (4597-0364-2569), current 6th gen OU record: 199W/44L/6D-, UU record: 31W/0L/4D

Quote Originally Posted by Mye View Post
    Ditto cannot breed, meaning that you have to actually catch a perfect one in order to use it. To answer the first part, I would only ever use ditto on a stall team due to its ability to completely shut down boosting sweepers that try to set up alongside your pokemon.
    Ditto can't breed? How come it can breed with any pokemon?

Edit: I've watched youtube videos were people used ditto to pass down ivs
    Last edited by Natural; 22nd April 2014 at 5:55 PM.

A ditto can't be bred with another ditto
    I have claimed

"Ditto cannot breed" just means that you can't put two Dittos in the Day Care to get a Ditto Egg. Ditto can only breed with other Pokemon that can breed, but not with itself. In other words, Ditto eggs do not exist, so the only way to get Ditto is in the wild. For a competitive Imposter Ditto, though, only HP really matters since the other stats and stat changes are copied.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

Quote Originally Posted by Psynergy View Post
    "Ditto cannot breed" just means that you can't put two Dittos in the Day Care to get a Ditto Egg. Ditto can only breed with other Pokemon that can breed, but not with itself. In other words, Ditto eggs do not exist, so the only way to get Ditto is in the wild. For a competitive Imposter Ditto, though, only HP really matters since the other stats and stat changes are copied.
    I know that. I was just thinking raising it from level 1 could increase the stats from Evs more. And to the person that first answered my question, sorry I thought you were giving misleading information

Quote Originally Posted by Psynergy View Post
    Not entirely true. When using ditto competitively, it'd be best to run one with flawless IVs minus speed (with said speed IV set to 0). Then in the off chance you get into a 1v1 ditto struggle war, you'll go last barring a speed tie and therefore win.

'Really' implies the general sense. While what you said is true, it's really not that big of a deal if HP is the only perfect IV, since people who use ditto are few and far between, and getting into a ditto struggle war is even rarer.

As someone who's a user of Imposter Ditto on stall teams (look at my username lol) I can say that the only perfect or close-to-perfect IV you need is HP (no other IVs need special attention) due to that being the only stat that Ditto will constantly retain. It's best used on stall teams as a Choice Scarf user, eliminating boosted offensive juggernauts like Mega Pinsir that can be hard to counter without compromising synergy. It's more of an advanced Pokemon to use effectively, requiring knowledge of when to bring it in and how to use it to scout movesets, so if you are just starting out I would not recommend it. Having specialized walls who can force out these powerful set-up sweepers is better if you're just getting into stall play.

On the flip side, however, Ditto does work as a catch-all counter to certain sweepers should your stall team not be able to counter these threats without losing synergy. It takes some skill to optimize it, but it can still function as a dedicated counter to a few specific threats. Just beware that it won't do anything against stall.
    Last edited by The Imposter; 22nd April 2014 at 8:31 PM.

With RU having begun its beta testing, I have decided to have a go at building an RU team myself and running it during said testing (BW RU being one of my favourite tiers due to the different array of typings and lack of any powerful weather bar Snover, who I never encountered much anyway). But I'm going to be building around Crustle, because I like Crustle and it's got a load of things going for it (Sturdy and Shell Smash come to mind). I am aware though that 45 Speed, even when boosted isn't great. But I'll give it a shot (being a fan of bulky set up attackers). I'm thinking of running Weakness Policy, my reasoning being most opponents went for Super Effective moves on Crustle to take it out, meaning if I have full HP and thus Sturdy unactivated, and use Shell Smash as I get hit by the SE move, I could potentially receive a +4 Attack and +3 Speed. This could make Crustle into the late game cleaner I like to run.

The main thing which I'm not sure on is the EVs. What Speed does Crustle hit at +2, and what does it really need to outspeed? I'm sure I'll get someone saying it's not viable, and I accept that. But I'd like to try it (it's for TESTING, and potentially more if it works out) anyway.

Thank you.

After a shell smash boost, crustle reaches 378speed with an adamant nature/max EVs and 414 speed with a jolly nature/max EVs. Thus, you'll be outspeeding base 80 scarfers with adamant and base 85's with jolly. Weakness policy could work on crustle, as in the lower tiers there are a sheer lack of priority users who aren't weak to his STABs (things like dusknoir/dusclops being the only "safe" switch ins I can think of). If you could find one with knock off, it could be pretty potent.

Quote Originally Posted by The Imposter View Post
    As someone who's a user of Imposter Ditto on stall teams (look at my username lol) I can say that the only perfect or close-to-perfect IV you need is HP (no other IVs need special attention) due to that being the only stat that Ditto will constantly retain. It's best used on stall teams as a Choice Scarf user, eliminating boosted offensive juggernauts like Mega Pinsir that can be hard to counter without compromising synergy. It's more of an advanced Pokemon to use effectively, requiring knowledge of when to bring it in and how to use it to scout movesets, so if you are just starting out I would not recommend it. Having specialized walls who can force out these powerful set-up sweepers is better if you're just getting into stall play.

On the flip side, however, Ditto does work as a catch-all counter to certain sweepers should your stall team not be able to counter these threats without losing synergy. It takes some skill to optimize it, but it can still function as a dedicated counter to a few specific threats. Just beware that it won't do anything against stall.
    I have been playing for a long time and already stumbled across the basics of checking/luring/trapping. I might need a little practice because I took a break after heart gold/soul silver, but think I can pick up on imposter ditto relatively quickly. And thanks, this realy helps

Edit: though would it work on a bulky offensive/stall team?
    Last edited by Natural; 22nd April 2014 at 11:14 PM.

Ok a question moreso about making Pokemon that are battle-ready:

It is about Egg Moves. Say I were to try to get the move Curse and Double Edge on a Mudkip, while simultaneously breeding it to have perfect IV's in HP, Attack, Defense, and Special Defense. I already have issues such as nature (Adamant) and Perfect IV parents (a pair of ditto's with perfect IV's in each stat I needed them in for this pokemon) covered, it would simply be an issue of getting the moves on the baby in the first place.

The thing is, from what I know, the parent needs to be in possession of the move in order for the child to be able to learn it. However, Mudkip would end up having at least one of those moves replaced by level 15, and it usually takes a while to get the perfect IV's onto a child from prior experience (usually about 4-5 eggs to get 2 or 3 perfect IV's from my luck, and usually 10+ or 20+to get another baby with either 4 or 5 perfect IV's), and even then it takes a while for an egg to appear at ALL, because both parents belong to me, and they are not the same species, which means that I only have a 20% chance for an egg to appear every time the game decides if it is time to determine if an egg will appear, and currently I do not have the Oval Charm due to not feeling like completing the Kalos Dex (which I take full responsibility for my own laziness :| ). And because the parent mudkip is level 1 when I first put it in the Day care, it will level up at a fast rate, no?

Is there a way to make it so that either the parent can pass on egg moves as long as it BEGAN with the egg moves in its move set when it was first put into the Daycare, or to make it so that the parent with the egg move does not forget it while it is in the daycare?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have little experience with egg moves, so I know very little about the subject.

(Also the above example has already happened a week prior to this post, and it was sheer luck that I got the moves onto a 4 perfect IVed mudkip within only about 20 eggs, which prevented all parents used from going above level 15. The scenario has already happened, and therefore I do not need to be told if the IV spread and/or passed on egg moves were a good idea or not.)
    Last edited by Xatuish; 22nd April 2014 at 11:50 PM.
    Friend Safari: Ground Type
    Slot 1: Phanpy Slot 2: Camerupt Slot 3: Diggersby (...)
    Friend Code: 3926-5853-1176

Pokedex Pokemon Y version: 428/719 (721 technically)

Leftover Pokedex list http://pastebin.com/Tc8Sid5n (Remember, the * means I can technically get it myself, but if you wish to help, do not hesitate to offer the pokemon up. Also while it isn't mentioned, Genesect and Meloetta are Optional)

What you do is make sure that the moves you want to pass down are on the bottom of the movelist. Keep moving them to the bottom every once and a while by dragging them there with the stylus. This allows you to pass on egg moves when the RNG is being uncooperative with making eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Xatuish View Post
    Ok a question moreso about making Pokemon that are battle-ready:

It is about Egg Moves. Say I were to try to get the move Curse and Double Edge on a Mudkip, while simultaneously breeding it to have perfect IV's in HP, Attack, Defense, and Special Defense. I already have issues such as nature (Adamant) and Perfect IV parents (a pair of ditto's with perfect IV's in each stat I needed them in for this pokemon) covered, it would simply be an issue of getting the moves on the baby in the first place.

The thing is, from what I know, the parent needs to be in possession of the move in order for the child to be able to learn it. However, Mudkip would end up having at least one of those moves replaced by level 15, and it usually takes a while to get the perfect IV's onto a child from prior experience (usually about 4-5 eggs to get 2 or 3 perfect IV's from my luck, and usually 10+ or 20+to get another baby with either 4 or 5 perfect IV's), and even then it takes a while for an egg to appear at ALL, because both parents belong to me, and they are not the same species, which means that I only have a 20% chance for an egg to appear every time the game decides if it is time to determine if an egg will appear, and currently I do not have the Oval Charm due to not feeling like completing the Kalos Dex (which I take full responsibility for my own laziness :| ). And because the parent mudkip is level 1 when I first put it in the Day care, it will level up at a fast rate, no?

Is there a way to make it so that either the parent can pass on egg moves as long as it BEGAN with the egg moves in its move set when it was first put into the Daycare, or to make it so that the parent with the egg move does not forget it while it is in the daycare?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have little experience with egg moves, so I know very little about the subject.

(Also the above example has already happened a week prior to this post, and it was sheer luck that I got the moves onto a 4 perfect IVed mudkip within only about 20 eggs, which prevented all parents used from going above level 15. The scenario has already happened, and therefore I do not need to be told if the IV spread and/or passed on egg moves were a good idea or not.)
    Alright. I'm not 100% sure I'm following exactly what you're trying to do here, but I think I understand. As it turns out, you DO have some 4-6 IV'd Ditto parents, which makes this process a lot easier. You want your Mudkips to have Curse and Double-Edge, along with being Adamant and having 4 or more perfect IVs, and you can't figure out how to breed the Egg moves on without losing them as they level up in the Daycare. Is that the problem?

If it is, here's how you do this. Since you have Dittos, this is a lot easier. I think your problem might be that you're worrying about IVs too early on in the process. You need to get the Egg Moves on Mudkip before you even start IV breeding.

1. You said you already have Adamant parents. Obtain a female Adamant Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert. If you don't have an Adamant parent, the easy thing to do here is to go to a Bergmite Friend Safari with an Adamant Synchronize Ralts and catch a male one with an Adamant nature. It should already know Curse.

2. Breed Bergmite with female Mudkip until you get a female offspring that knows Curse. Give the Adamant parent the Everstone while you're doing this.

3. Take that female Adamant Mudkip with Curse, give it the Everstone, and breed it to a father that knows Double-Edge. Male Ivysaur and male Azumarill from the Friend Safari will both know Double-Edge. Nature does not matter on this father. Unless you're going for an HA on Mudkip, you will only need ONE egg from this pair. It should be Adamant with Curse and Double-Edge.

(Alternatively, Bergmite can learn Double-Edge as well on level 49 if you want to skip steps 1 and 2. If you have a male Bergmite with both moves, you'll only need one egg from the Bergmite-Mudkip pair).

4. NOW you can start IV breeding. Take the offspring Mudkip that knows Curse and Double-Edge (male or female doesn't matter), give it the Everstone, and put it in the DayCare with Ditto holding the Destiny Knot. Breed eggs until you get a Mudkip with more IVs than the parent Mudkip had. The baby IV'd Mudkip should also have Curse and Double-Edge. DO NOT TAKE THE PARENTS OUT OF THE DAYCARE UNTIL YOU HAVE A REPLACEMENT. That is key to this. Replace first Mudkip with the offspring one with more IVs. Release the parent. Continue doing this process until you have a 4-5 IV Mudkip. Then breed until you get the IV spread you want. EVERY offspring that you get should have Curse and Double-Edge, and you shouldn't have to worry about the moves getting replaced. Although the Pokemon do level up, they do NOT lose the moves they are passing on until you take them out of the DayCare. Therefore, if you follow my directions, every offspring Mudkip you get should have the right nature and Egg Moves.

I hope this helped.
    Last edited by varanus_komodoensis; 23rd April 2014 at 12:17 AM.

3DS FC: 5129-1087-8128 Friend Safari: Phanpy, Dugtrio, Diggersby
    IGN: Varanus ~I have officially claimed Chompy!~

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
    Varanus already said not to and she's smarter than me so I should Listen to her.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by varanus_komodoensis View Post
    Alright. I'm not 100% sure I'm following exactly what you're trying to do here, but I think I understand. As it turns out, you DO have some 4-6 IV'd Ditto parents, which makes this process a lot easier. You want your Mudkips to have Curse and Double-Edge, along with being Adamant and having 4 or more perfect IVs, and you can't figure out how to breed the Egg moves on without losing them as they level up in the Daycare. Is that the problem?

If it is, here's how you do this. Since you have Dittos, this is a lot easier. I think your problem might be that you're worrying about IVs too early on in the process. You need to get the Egg Moves on Mudkip before you even start IV breeding.

1. You said you already have Adamant parents. Obtain a female Adamant Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert. If you don't have an Adamant parent, the easy thing to do here is to go to a Bergmite Friend Safari with an Adamant Synchronize Ralts and catch a male one with an Adamant nature. It should already know Curse.

2. Breed Bergmite with female Mudkip until you get a female offspring that knows Curse. Give the Adamant parent the Everstone while you're doing this.

3. Take that female Adamant Mudkip with Curse, give it the Everstone, and breed it to a father that knows Double-Edge. Male Ivysaur and male Azumarill from the Friend Safari will both know Double-Edge. Nature does not matter on this father. Unless you're going for an HA on Mudkip, you will only need ONE egg from this pair. It should be Adamant with Curse and Double-Edge.

(Alternatively, Bergmite can learn Double-Edge as well on level 49 if you want to skip steps 1 and 2. If you have a male Bergmite with both moves, you'll only need one egg from the Bergmite-Mudkip pair).

4. NOW you can start IV breeding. Take the offspring Mudkip that knows Curse and Double-Edge (male or female doesn't matter), give it the Everstone, and put it in the DayCare with Ditto holding the Destiny Knot. Breed eggs until you get a Mudkip with more IVs than the parent Mudkip had. The baby IV'd Mudkip should also have Curse and Double-Edge. DO NOT TAKE THE PARENTS OUT OF THE DAYCARE UNTIL YOU HAVE A REPLACEMENT. That is key to this. Replace first Mudkip with the offspring one with more IVs. Release the parent. Continue doing this process until you have a 4-5 IV Mudkip. Then breed until you get the IV spread you want. EVERY offspring that you get should have Curse and Double-Edge, and you shouldn't have to worry about the moves getting replaced. Although the Pokemon do level up, they do NOT lose the moves they are passing on until you take them out of the DayCare. Therefore, if you follow my directions, every offspring Mudkip you get should have the right nature and Egg Moves.

I hope this helped.

It helped me! Thank you.
    I had been wondering why all the eggs I received were getting the right moves when the parents had gone up a lot of levels, like 15-20.
    I was also worried about losing egg moves in some of my parents.
    LLR

P.S.
    East Sea Shellos (blue) with HA available
    I trade Vivillons for Vivillons and have a All 18 non-event of patterns. Ask!
    Dex 718/718 Thank you ShinyPanda! Living Dex: 711/718.

My Friend Code: 1907-9797-0140. In game name: Sage.
    I'm using this one for trades and to check safaris for folks.
    I'll be periodically deleting older cards from my friend list.
    If you still want access just let me know and I'll be happy to add you again.

Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast