Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Competitive Forum Suggestions Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,955

    Default Competitive Forum Suggestions Thread

    Suggest anything (within reason) here and the competitive mods will consider what is posted in the thread.

    Rule:

    No spamming.
    No flaming.
    No forum name suggestions.
    No tiering suggestions.
    No Tutor program suggestions.
    No Official League suggestions.
    Last edited by Ragnarok; 4th January 2014 at 3:19 AM.
    *Ahem*

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SE asia, Phiippines.
    Posts
    743

    Default

    If it is possible, would it be ok to have a thread where the topic talks about pokemon that are yet to come in X and Y: aka Pokes still in the Pokebank. You see, it could talk about those pokemon's 5th Generation competitive sets and stats, and evaluate its performance on the current 6th gen.

    But what could be applied on it is what are theoretically the other possible pokemon getting the new fairy type once pokebank comes in december.

    Just a thought to probably consider. But its all on you to decide. Not really a request from me
    Last edited by jireh the provider; 13th November 2013 at 10:55 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    173

    Default

    how about inverse battles?
    they are tricky but fun

  4. #4

    Default

    Could we get a tier discussion thread like what we had in the 5th Gen Competitive Discussion section? Just somewhere to post updates to Smogon's tier list for those that don't regularly check the forums, as well as a place to discuss those changes.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rising
    Posts
    1,813

    Default

    ^ Seconding this. Maybe it isn't all that important right now because we are in the early stages of the generation and still trying to figure out what'll be OU/Uber and what will be UU or lower, but since we just had Gengarite get a ban, it's coming up. Discussions of the type have been going on over at Smogon since October.
    "I'm fighting because there's a battle to be fought, Archer. I'm fighting to win. That's all."
    "Hm. Alright, Rin. You are indeed my ideal Master. There is no one else I could hope to serve."



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,955

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Please bring back Serebii Battle Frontier

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    under the scarlet sky
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    the league threads have minimal activity, so at the moment its not going to happen



  9. #9

    Default

    Since the 6th Gen RMT section is where all the RMT activity is now, I feel that some of the old RMT projects need to be moved there, namely the EV/IV guide, RMT nominations thread, and Lost Heroes project. We might also wait for a month or two and let the metagame settle a bit more before starting Lost Heroes back up, although to be honest, I think starting in January wouldn't be such a bad idea.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Citadark Isle
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    I personally would like to see the Battle of The Week return it was a fun time and it had a brief return a month or two ago but is now gone once again. I feel it would raise interest within the community

    Credits to Sworn Metalhead l PASBL

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eliteknight View Post
    I personally would like to see the Battle of The Week return it was a fun time and it had a brief return a month or two ago but is now gone once again. I feel it would raise interest within the community
    I second this decision as well, but maybe different tiered BOTW as well, not just OverUsed.
    Credit to Astral Shadow!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    under the scarlet sky
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Since the 6th Gen RMT section is where all the RMT activity is now, I feel that some of the old RMT projects need to be moved there, namely the EV/IV guide, RMT nominations thread, and Lost Heroes project. We might also wait for a month or two and let the metagame settle a bit more before starting Lost Heroes back up, although to be honest, I think starting in January wouldn't be such a bad idea.
    We were waiting for January to do the archieve and Lost heroes, I can move everything over tho in the next few days

    Quote Originally Posted by Eliteknight View Post
    I personally would like to see the Battle of The Week return it was a fun time and it had a brief return a month or two ago but is now gone once again. I feel it would raise interest within the community
    I`ll talk to Ragnarok about this, I personally don't mind but i would like to wait till xy tiers are set so there's more options



  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Up someone's a**crack
    Posts
    380

    Default

    We need an Articles section, where people can write articles about Competitive Battling.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

    [In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

    RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

    RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    under the scarlet sky
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    we have that, its called the guide section



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    An Other Metagames forum for special metagames that aren't the standard OU. Examples are found at http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/...metagames.206/.

  16. #16

    Default

    This section isn't limited to just OU discussions. You can discuss any competitive metagame here. Besides, there's nowhere near enough activity in the competitive section to warrant making a whole new sub-forum just to discuss non-standard metagames.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Citadark Isle
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    I personally feel that when the CRMT section gets up in activity that the Archive should be updated. There is a pending RMT from January still awaiting approval

    Credits to Sworn Metalhead l PASBL

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A handful of dust
    Posts
    2,996

    Default

    I'd like to suggest not having a separate Nintendo Format subforum, as it's incredibly inactive. With the exception of Rotation, all also have simulator parallels, and it kind of strikes me as ridiculous that the main board is simulator-specific whereas official formats have sort of an unread niche.

    If both were active, I could see it, but there doesn't seem to be enough activity to justify separating them out. It's all competitive Pokemon.
    Last edited by Cipher; 30th July 2014 at 2:41 AM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Irresistiville
    Posts
    1,627

    Default

    Two separate sub forums exist in an attempt to reduce confusion. Say, for example, the "counter this Pokemon" thread. If there weren't desperate subforums, we would have people suggesting both OU counters and VGC counters. Combining the forums wouldn't generate more activity for the Nintendo Formats either, so seeing as it already exists, why so away with a good thing?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    A handful of dust
    Posts
    2,996

    Default

    It was admittedly posted somewhat in self-interest as I recently had a thread moved there (the only new one in six months), where I expect it to die, but on the whole it seems like a strange setup to me.

    Mostly because there are 1) more formats than just Smogon's (which already has multiple tiers and metagames) or VGC, so you need to clarify the format you're discussing regardless. And 2) I have to think the lack of activity and forum separation have something of a recursive effect. Posts on Nintendo formats aren't responded to if they aren't seen; things aren't seen and discussion on Nintendo formats isn't furthered because the forum is known for inactivity.

    I know I've thought about making Battle Spot threads before only to check that subforum and figure it'd been totally abandoned. There hadn't been a post in six months, with prior ones months before that. Generally subforums are made because there's so much activity on disparate topics in one place it becomes helpful to split off into different boards. If there isn't enough activity to need both, and especially in this case where clarification is an issue regardless, it just seems like a better promotion of discussion to merge them back together. And if there really are so few interested, couldn't those threads just come and go in the main forum without needing the clutter of a secondary one?

    Opinions may vary; just explaining my reasoning.
    Last edited by Cipher; 30th July 2014 at 8:40 AM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,195

    Default

    So I don't what is and isn't already being planned for this section at the moment, but some discussion starter is better than no discussion at all. Judging by tournaments and the like, there's definitely still people that care about the competitive forum, but it kinda feels like everyone is just waiting for someone else to start a general discussion.

    As far as thread ideas go, has there ever been threads for discussing each individual tier? I don't really have any knowledge of what happened here before early X/Y, but I remember there was the standard metagame thread that discussed OU for awhile and threads for Ubers and LC. The latter two never got too much activity but I know people play UU/RU/NU (and probably PU if that counts). Activity is kinda low in this section in general I guess, so they could just end up being empty threads that don't attract a lot of discussion, but activity is kind of a two-way street.

    On a different note, what about a thread for discussion on how the new Megas are going to affect each tier now that we know the stats? The New Mega Evolutions thread in the OR/AS section talks about this already, though I kinda feel this forum is a better place to discuss the competitive nature of the Megas.

    Just tossing out some ideas, I don't know if there's already plans set in place for what to do once OR/AS takes off, but it's never to early to start some discussion.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Bagon // Platinum Nuzlocke




  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Up someone's a**crack
    Posts
    380

    Default

    I'm going to reword my previous statement to staff's liking.

    First off, I think it'd be beneficial to update the guides section, either through writing new ones or updating the existing ones. Most of the guide links are dead, which misleads users looking for it as a resource.

    Furthermore, we need something that can bolster Serebii's playerbase (and competitive userbase). Right now the entire sub-forum is just nothing but three threads, a couple of RMTs, and nothing else. I don't know if the mods here have some way of reaching out to the Serebii community to come here and post a bit. I hope some of the better players on the site can also come up with some ways to revamp this clearly comatose Competitive section.

    Also, if it isn't too much for auth to handle, you could try registering a chat room on the main Pokemon Showdown server. It'd be a great way to have a collective for the Serebii Competitive Community.

    Finally, I would like to state that this post complies with the rules of this thread. This post is neither an act of spamming nor flaming. This post does not advocate any forum name suggestions, tiering suggestions, Competitive tutoring suggestions, or Official League suggestions.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

    [In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

    RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

    RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pizza Planet
    Posts
    2,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    I'm going to reword my previous statement to staff's liking.

    First off, I think it'd be beneficial to update the guides section, either through writing new ones or updating the existing ones. Most of the guide links are dead, which misleads users looking for it as a resource.

    Furthermore, we need something that can bolster Serebii's playerbase (and competitive userbase). Right now the entire sub-forum is just nothing but three threads, a couple of RMTs, and nothing else. I don't know if the mods here have some way of reaching out to the Serebii community to come here and post a bit. I hope some of the better players on the site can also come up with some ways to revamp this clearly comatose Competitive section.

    Also, if it isn't too much for auth to handle, you could try registering a chat room on the main Pokemon Showdown server. It'd be a great way to have a collective for the Serebii Competitive Community.

    Finally, I would like to state that this post complies with the rules of this thread. This post is neither an act of spamming nor flaming. This post does not advocate any forum name suggestions, tiering suggestions, Competitive tutoring suggestions, or Official League suggestions.
    We're actually working on a few basic guides (or I'am at least) to go with the new section we made, and I'm gonna be reworking alot of things there so that it's not such a mess. If you or anyone else would like to write a guide , or start one though and have other people add to it feel free. Post away.

    Probably won't be registering a chat room on ps right now , but we do have a few other things in the works too like an unofficial gym league coming within the next week or so (which MAY become official again if it's popular enough) and some other smaller changes that hopefully will help.

    Thanks very much for your suggestions
    Last edited by Archangel; 28th July 2015 at 5:54 AM.

  24. #24

    Default

    Unpopular opinion time.

    The competitive guides should just be links to Smogon or Nugget Bridge. After reading through the POTW and metagame discussions for the past few months it's very clear that very few people here have any actual experience in Smogon formats. POTW consistently gets very blatantly bad set suggestions (see the current Skarmory discussion with people insisting on running sweeper sets), suggesting sh*tmons to be mentioned as checks or counters unironically (Golduck in the Rayquaza thread), and some of the final write-ups have glaring errors (i.e. saying Yveltal has bad STAB coverage when it's literally resisted by 7 things in the entire series and providing some of most worthless OOs I've ever seen). If people are that serious about competitive they're going to have to visit Smogon or Nugget Bridge eventually, so we should just send them there in the first place with warnings to lurk their forums before posting anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairyu_Gen1
    Oh, and nobody respects Smogon, they use us because they have to, and because they know that we're right, but they ***** about it all day long, and we don't care.
    Quote Originally Posted by AM
    To be frank..... [Ubers] is boring as **** and cancerous to play.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pizza Planet
    Posts
    2,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karxrida View Post
    Unpopular opinion time.

    The competitive guides should just be links to Smogon or Nugget Bridge. After reading through the POTW and metagame discussions for the past few months it's very clear that very few people here have any actual experience in Smogon formats. POTW consistently gets very blatantly bad set suggestions (see the current Skarmory discussion with people insisting on running sweeper sets), suggesting sh*tmons to be mentioned as checks or counters unironically (Golduck in the Rayquaza thread), and some of the final write-ups have glaring errors (i.e. saying Yveltal has bad STAB coverage when it's literally resisted by 7 things in the entire series and providing some of most worthless OOs I've ever seen). If people are that serious about competitive they're going to have to visit Smogon or Nugget Bridge eventually, so we should just send them there in the first place with warnings to lurk their forums before posting anything.
    I appreciate your opinion , but to me that only further highlights the need to update our own guides and start bridging that gap again. I mean it makes things simpler and you're right in some ways , but sending our people elsewhere isn't going to solve anything in the long run.

    We need to start overhauling things and come together as a community again. Once we accomplish that then we can actually do some of the things people have been asking us about for years now like bringing back the tutoring program and sbf/osl, and give new people and people from other sites a reason to stay here again. It'll take time of course , but I believe we can still get there.

    At any rate I'm going to close this thread for now, but stay tuned changes are coming soon and once those occur a new suggestions thread will be made. If any of you have concerns or questions between now and then feel to drop me a PM.

    Edit: I ran into some unexpected health problems so it's going to take a little longer than I wanted to get some of this stuff up and running
    Last edited by Archangel; 8th August 2015 at 11:45 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •