Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Wishes Until We Meet Again! (802)

This episode was really meh. I hope that in Cilan and Iris' specials, they at least act a bit sad about being alone.

Random : PokéRadar

Iris and Cilan's farewell was fine, do we really need to see character crying their eyes out everytime they stop traveling together?

In fact I'd say they made past departures too over-dramatic, since Ash saw all his past friends again anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Iris and Cilan's farewell was fine, do we really need to see character crying their eyes out everytime they stop traveling together?
    How was it fine? Iris and Cilan clearly expressed their desire to travel through Kanto and the moment they reach Kanto, they're like 'lol gtg bye!' an decide to go to Johto. What? This episode should have at least had Iris and Cilan being unable to accompany Ash or something. They devoted this episode and Team Rocket and shoved the departure at the ending, that's not how you do a departure episode.

....and now, her story begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucario At Service View Post
    Please go back and review the episode "Zuruggu and the Selfish Gothimu!" (Scraggy and the Demanding Gothita!) and then tell me that what people felt regarding Axew & Scraggy getting a good-bye moment was wrong.
    Are we really going to use a filler episode to justify Axew and Scraggy having a tearful farewell? That's reaching a bit imo. For sure, they interacted and spent some time together, but the same could be said about several Pokemon and yet only Axew and Scraggy were predicted to say good-bye to each other. Like I said before, the fact that it didn't happen sort of proves that the writers never meant for their friendship to be integral to the plot. That's how I feel about it.

In fact I'd say they made past departures too over-dramatic, since Ash saw all his past friends again anyway.
    While i agree that we didn't really need a over-dramatic departure for Cilan & Iris. But atleast they could have shown a bit of sadness about there separation after traveling for so long.

Iris was just too happy to goto Blackthorn City and Cilan didn't even show any interest to meet Prof. Oak (i mean he is considered to be the top most person in pokemon research and meeting him would have given Cilan more more knowledge regarding how to understand pokemons which would have been beneficial to his Sommelier work).

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Are we really going to use a filler episode to justify Axew and Scraggy having a tearful farewell?
    When the BW Saga mostly consisted of filler episode, using that as an example is ok.

The main point of that episode was the relation between Axew & Scraggy. In that episode, Axew was really sad with the idea of separating with Scraggy. Whether its a filler or not is another point, which is useless in the topic we are discussing (and that is the relation between them).

Also what do you define as a filler episode.

To me that episode wasn't a filler episode as the person who appeared in it also took part in the Unova League (which means that person was not a simple COTD).
    Last edited by Lucario At Service; 20th September 2013 at 10:23 PM.

Are we really going to use a filler episode to justify Axew and Scraggy having a tearful farewell? That's reaching a bit imo. For sure, they interacted and spent some time together, but the same could be said about several Pokemon and yet only Axew and Scraggy were predicted to say good-bye to each other. Like I said before, the fact that it didn't happen sort of proves that the writers never meant for their friendship to be integral to the plot. That's how I feel about it.
    I can't see how you'd argue this when the departure between the human characters wasn't anything to write home about.

This was about Team Rocket and nothing else. If this was a departure episode, then Scraggy and Axew would have said goodbye.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

Ok guys i will be sincere.i didn't like this goodbye!station,the hurried excitation by writers of getting rid of iris and cilan!everything so cold!ash and iris neiborhood ..... i didn't have many expectations! But cilan and ash cabbage at least ..... neiborhood i hope that cilan and iris have a goodbye more substantial!

Clearly, Axew has gotten a Deux Ex Machina right before the train scene, and thus he was manly enough not to say good bye to his brother Scraggy.

In hindsight, this made him look like a bastard, however. Or both of them.

Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

Special: Ace Attorney - All Breakdowns (+ PL & PW:AA)

Iris and cilan leaving did nothing for me, showed how poorly developed they were.

7/10
    Latest AmourShipping AMV
    Proud Advance/AmourShipper ~ I would Also like to thank Larvitarr from tumblr who created this sig

Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more? ~ Before Sunrise ~
    Grooveshark | Tumblr | BulbaGarden | MyAnimeList | PSNProfiles | Youtube | Last.FM

Now Pansy has Ash all to herself temporarily, just as planned. :P

Why were people so convinced about Axew and Scraggy having a farewell scene together? I mean I argued about that in the other episode thread but people kept saying that they were 100% sure it would happen...and yet it didn't. I think my previous arguments that the Axew/Scraggy "bromance" only existed in the minds of the fans proved to be true in the end since the writers didn't even attempt to show said "bromance" one last time. :x
    Yeah I know that since I agreed with what you said but as I posted previously a summary acknowledged that they were in fact best friends and there was a good chemistry between them during Best Wishes 1. Best friends or not, they created a great bond in the beginning which is undeniable.

And the Best Wishes thing was used as a pun so often in BW that I literally didn't care for it being used here. It was just overdone throughout the saga so it wasn't that special imo.
    But this time it was used while the cast was leaving for good... Exactly during the very last scene. That is an emotional moment to shout such a thing and at least it had an impact on me (while during the other times it was just a mix between "nice pun" and "meh").
    Shiny Pokémon (47)

Shiny Event Pokémon (11)

Cilan didn't even show any interest to meet Prof. Oak (i mean he is considered to be the top most person in pokemon research and meeting him would have given Cilan more more knowledge regarding how to understand pokemons which would have been beneficial to his Sommelier work).
    Didn't they meet in the Rotom episode?

For once, I actually agree with freaking Cyber. Hell, DP's farewell episode didn't have Ash and Dawn act that emotional about splitting, Piplup and Pikachu were the ones who did.

When the BW Saga mostly consisted of filler episode, using that as an example is ok.
    BW had alot less filler than most sagas, actually. Someone on another site even compared it to DP recently: 50 filler episodes (DP) vs. 28 filler episodes (BW).

I'm honestly beginning to suspect most people on this board didn't actually watch BW. Or more specifically: they watched, but they didn't really pay attention. The parts of their brain that actually receives the stuff in the episodes was blocked by a big "THIS IS DIFFERENT! WHY IS IT DIFFERENT!? WHY ISN'T THIS EXACTLY LIKE AG/DP!?" tumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter1988 View Post
    I don't think the problem was that Iris followed Ash, its that she didn't do much towards achieving her goal while with him. Apart from reaching Axew two really powerful moves, catching Dragonite out of nowhere and meeting Clair there wasn't really a lot going on for Iris. May and Dawn got their own story lines at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    - Being able to read the hearts of dragons (Dragonite's capture episode and Emolga joins Team Rocket)
    - Getting the approval of the Village Elder
    - Calming a Hydreigon all by herself
    - Getting Drayden's approval and proposal to be the next Opelucid Gym Leader

Yeah, there wasn't really a lot going on with Iris (¬_¬)

I'm just glad that Iris and Cilan are gone so the stupid childish bashing can stop once and for all ... until his/her/their visit to Kalos
    You forgot to mention the Deino episode as the build-up for her being able to read the hearts of dragons.

Also, connecting with Dragonite and getting him to listen to her took work. That's working for her goal, in my view.

Iris very clearly HAD her own storyline, but it wasn't done in the co-star/coordinator way and RAR! DIFFERENT BAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    How was it fine? Iris and Cilan clearly expressed their desire to travel through Kanto and the moment they reach Kanto, they're like 'lol gtg bye!' an decide to go to Johto. What?
    You get to Johto by travelling through Kanto; they're on the same freaking continent. That's not changing focus at all, just changing destination.
    Last edited by AgentPierce; 21st September 2013 at 4:14 PM.

While i agree that we didn't really need a over-dramatic departure for Cilan & Iris. But atleast they could have shown a bit of sadness about there separation after traveling for so long.

Iris was just too happy to goto Blackthorn City and Cilan didn't even show any interest to meet Prof. Oak (i mean he is considered to be the top most person in pokemon research and meeting him would have given Cilan more more knowledge regarding how to understand pokemons which would have been beneficial to his Sommelier work).

The main point of that episode was the relation between Axew & Scraggy. In that episode, Axew was really sad with the idea of separating with Scraggy. Whether its a filler or not is another point, which is useless in the topic we are discussing (and that is the relation between them).

To me that episode wasn't a filler episode as the person who appeared in it also took part in the Unova League (which means that person was not a simple COTD).
    And lol, Katharine placed higher then Ash! xD

But my main point here was going to be that Cilan met with Oak, and Oak disappointed I guess.. Not metro enough..
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstar1994 View Post
    Didn't they meet in the Rotom episode?
    Yes they meet, but i believe he would have wanted to meet him again at the place of his work and learn more from him (i mean he was only able to be with him for a few hours in that episode).

Plus he did show interest in Ash's older pokemon like Charizard, so he should have shown more interest to meet Ash's other pokemons as well before going on his own journey (i mean how much time would that have taken for him).

Iris have been a impatient person from the start, but Cilan wasn't but this episode made him into one.
    Last edited by Lucario At Service; 21st September 2013 at 5:44 PM.

Emotion didn't meet me with this goodbye. I'm more upset because I wasn't upset.

breathe it in, i'm gonna shine. it's my moment, i'm going to fly.

Well I re-watched this episode (more precisely, the scenes leading up to this ending) and as much as it pains me that Iris and Cilan didn't get as much focus as I wanted them to, watching the ending scene again, well, it really got to me. I guess I can understand. Iris and Cilan said they wanted to go to Kanto with Ash but they never really said they would be traveling with him, Ash never really said that either - he was just heading home. They simply accompanied him until they made further plans. The ending scene was short but sweet. Ash not crying was expected, because he has grown over the last couple of years and learned how to deal with departures of his friends and Iris and Cilan weren't sad because, well...

As this scene symbolizes, their memories of Ash, the experience they went through with him, will always be with them. I never realized this before. I'm now kinda happy no one cried or got emotional. They WILL meet up again, almost definitely.

Iris will make her cameo and so will (hopefully) Cilan. This wasn't a goodbye, but more of a 'see ya later'.

As the title says 'Until The Day We Meet Again'.

And that really is what this departure is all about. They are certain they will meet again one day and so am I. And that makes me so much happier. The ending was subtle and sweet, the flashbacks were touching and the background music during the scene where Iris and Cilan talked about their plans was really bittersweet. Not as good as I had hoped for, but definitely better than I initially though. I like this ending.
    Last edited by Janovy; 24th September 2013 at 9:44 AM.

I wanted to throw in my 2 cents too.

This IMO felt like the most natural departure. After watching Piplup's drama in DP, I would say this departure was a fresh change. It felt natural,like how you'd feel when you are parting with your college friends after spending a year with them. The music, the slow dramatic-ness, a few scenes in the animation like the window of the train reflecting them together even though they are on opposite sides of the door, Ash's eyes showing that he was barely holding back his tears. Pansy running up and giving them souvenirs, there's a lot of classic stuff being done here. Pansy kept supporting Ash throughout the last few minutes of the departure.

You don't need to cry like a baby and give emotional monologues to convey an emotion. Best Wishes did it with a simple scene with good animation and matching music.

This is the best departure episode for me. The Kanto one was the first, so it could be more emotionally touching for nostalgia reasons, but the Unova one wasn't the first and each and every second of the last few minutes was precious, and I loved watching it.

People might say more could be done, but no, this was perfect. Any more is just overly done.

EDIT: I like how Janovy posted the image I was talking about.
    Last edited by Alfred the Second; 24th September 2013 at 10:11 AM.

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

They also had the shortest amount of time to spend with ash by far. I guess it seems natural, but it still seems weird that ash didn't have even a small conversation at all with either of the two, forget crying.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

These two had the least emotional attachment to Ash out of any of the others excluding Tracey.

There was no reason for emotion. They were the shortest lived main group of the series and Ash is used to traveling with new people.

Quote Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
    They also had the shortest amount of time to spend with ash by far. I guess it seems natural, but it still seems weird that ash didn't have even a small conversation at all with either of the two, forget crying.
    What did Ash talk with Dawn though? They only had a high five and Ash cheered her up when they were on the boat. It was equally short and good enough for me. (The high touch was worth many words :P:P) The rest of the episode was Piplup making fuss out of it.

@cybercubed While I agree with the "getting used" part, I disagree with the "least attachment" part. The number of episodes tells you the pacing of the saga not the time they spent together. It's entirely possible Ash spent more time in Unova than with May and Max in AG+BF.

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    What did Ash talk with Dawn though? They only had a high five and Ash cheered her up when they were on the boat. It was equally short and good enough for me. (The high touch was worth many words :P:P) The rest of the episode was Piplup making fuss out of it.

@cybercubed While I agree with the "getting used" part, I disagree with the "least attachment" part. The number of episodes tells you the pacing of the saga not the time they spent together. It's entirely possible Ash spent more time in Unova than with May and Max in AG+BF.
    IMOthe high five was what made DPs ending most memorable and touching for me. Like the trio had gone such a long way... And the high five and handshake. It doesn't really help since im a huge fan of Piplup and seeing Piplup feeling sad about Pikachu was sad, and then Togekiss comforting them... OH GOD THE FEELS.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Quote Originally Posted by OceanicLanturn View Post
    IMOthe high five was what made DPs ending most memorable and touching for me. Like the trio had gone such a long way... And the high five and handshake. It doesn't really help since im a huge fan of Piplup and seeing Piplup feeling sad about Pikachu was sad, and then Togekiss comforting them... OH GOD THE FEELS.
    Also Dawn did start to cry a bit as Ash and Brock's boat was pulling away.

Anyway we can safely agree that Tracey, Iris and Cilan had the least attachment to Ash of all the characters.

Anyway we can safely agree that Tracey, Iris and Cilan had the least attachment to Ash of all the characters.
    No. Just stop it Cyber.

Move your BW hate somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    No. Just stop it Cyber.

Move your BW hate somewhere else.
    I liked parts of BW, and I thought the BW trio had good chemistry but it's honestly the truth.

Misty/Brock were the original friends and May/Max and Dawn all learned and bonded with Ash.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast