Thread: Horde/Inverse/Sky Battles

Default Horde/Inverse/Sky Battles

X & Y introduced three new battle styles:

1.) Horde battles - Where you battle five Pokemon at once.
    2.) Inverse battles - Essentially, type effectiveness is reversed (Ex. Fire beating water instead of the normal way)
    3.) Sky battles - Where only flying/levitating Pokemon are able to participate (with some exceptions)

My take on these new styles:

1.) I liked how you could face five Pokemon at once instead of the usual one. Disliked how horde Pokemon were always at a lower level, though.

2.) I can't really say anything regarding this style since I never felt bothered enough to try it.

3.) Sky battles - Didn't like this battle style at all. It was way too restrictive. I usually only have at least one flying type on my team, so I would have ended up losing in no time flat when doing one of these. I've done the first two in Y, but that was it. To me, the only good thing about them was that they were totally optional. I definitely won't miss this style of battle if it dosen't come back in gen 7.

What was your take on the new battle styles?
    Last edited by Painkiller2001; 11th October 2015 at 7:07 AM.

My top favorites

Claimed by me!

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" - Sgt. Greg Parker, SRU

The horde battles are pretty good and I found a lot of shiny pokemon from them. Inverse battles are interesting and great to do as a challenge. Sky Battles were fun and I love to see more of it.
    Dragon user - can counter Steel with Fire attacks and counter Fairy with Poison and Steel attacks.

Currently playing Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Waiting for Sun and Moon to come out.

Currently own: All gen 4, 5 and 6 main series games.

Considering Goodra released until confirmed otherwise.

Obtained shiny Latias on the 14/4/2016

I have Asperger Syndrome which makes it hard to socialize, make friends, date and communicate.

Currently the most hated person.

My apologies to the users and mods of Serebii for my unprofessional posts.

1. Horde Battles allowed me to make it easier to find Shinies so I liked it.

2. I enjoyed the concept of reversing type matchups in a battle so therefore I liked Inverse Battles.

3. Sky Battles were alright, but I didn't like the fact that it was available in limited places.

Sugimori art used; quote from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
    Banner created by me
        Spoiler:- Claims:

Images from Bulbapedia, Banner from upload to Imgur

I liked the concept of inverse battles the most. Horde battles were okay but sky battles were completely useless imo.

Horde battles made EV training quick and simple. The feature should stay in gen 7 when the time comes
    FC: 3711-9176-7509
    IGN: Creyk

Inverse battles were my favorite of the bunch. I like how it shakes up the type chart. It is anything but balanced, but it is still fun. My only problem with it is how underrepresented the battle style actually is in the games. Hope to see more of it in later games.
    Horde battles are also cool. Sure they aren't anything special if you carry multiple-target attacks, but otherwise they can be a pain(in a kind of good way), like if you're trying to catch one. They can be some of the most interesting(and frustrating) battles if the horde decides to stack the wrong moves. They're also a godsend in terms of competitive training.

I didn't like Sky battles that much. It felt too restrictive for me and didn't add anything new besides that. I wouldn't mind if it only appeared in Kalos.

1) I don't mind horde battles for wild Pokemon, but horde battles with trainers was a bit much if you ask me.

2) I didn't care for inverse battles.

3) I liked the concept of sky battles, but it was limited. You couldn't use all bird Pokemon. I wouldn't mind seeing it again if they expanded it.
    Currently completing the National Dex for the first time ever!
    10 more to go!

I didn't like horde battles much since 5 against 1 seemed kind of annoying. As for inverse battles: I thought the concept was original, but I rarely participated in them. I'm kind of neutral on sky battles though.

horde battles are very useful for EV training

I like the concept of inverse battles and it shoud appear a bit more in the game

sky battles are pointless

--><--
    Credit goes to american--pi
    LET THE GAME SECTION FLOURISH AGAIN!!
    claimed super mario, SSB3DS and grasswalk

Just to represent an opposite view to most in this thread:

I actually enjoyed the concept of Sky Battles. It can get a bit boring using the same team in any circumstances and always having a Pokemon prepared for any in-game situation. It's quite fun having 1 or 2 Pokemon and trying to get them through some really difficult fights (those Emolga!). It would be cool if they made more situations where only a subset of Pokemon were usable - only Fire Pokemon in a Volcano, or Fighting Pokemon in a Dojo. The reverse might also be fun: no Fairies in a certain Urban Area (where people don't believe in Faries).

It was good they made Sky Battles optional of course - I'd hate them if they were compulsary. If I am doing a Nuzlocke run for example I can leave them alone. I wouldn't want any of the above to be compulsary.

I suppose to fight Sky Battles it is a bit like HMs, in that they force the player to carry ceratin Pokemon. But I think it is less annoying that HMs, and at least battles are important in the game and fun in their own right.

I also think they didn't do enough with the Sky Battles - there was no Reward for winning them all. In ORAS (where I don't recall ANY Sky Battles) it would have been perfect to get a special Secret Base item for winning them all etc. Not sure what you could have got in XY that would have been appropriate.
    Friend Code - 2767-0156-6561 - Doduo Tranquill and Rufflet

Plenty of 5IVs to trade - particularly Ground Pokemon. I'm not looking for anything and am happy to help people out - though appreciate interesting breeding rejects.

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller2001 View Post
    X & Y introduced three new battle styles:

1.) Horde battles - Where you battle five Pokemon at once.
    2.) Inverse battles - Essentially, type effectiveness is reversed (Ex. Fire beating water instead of the normal way)
    3.) Sky battles - Where only flying/levitating Pokemon are able to participate (with some exceptions)

My take on these new styles:

1.) I liked how you could face five Pokemon at once instead of the usual one. Disliked how horde Pokemon were always at a lower level, though.

2.) I can't really say anything regarding this style since I never felt bothered enough to try it.

3.) Sky battles - Didn't like this battle style at all. It was way too restrictive. I usually only have at least one flying type on my team, so I would have ended up losing in no time flat when doing one of these. I've done the first two in Y, but that was it. To me, the only good thing about them was that they were totally optional. I definitely won't miss this style of battle if it dosen't come back in gen 7.

What was your take on the new battle styles?
    Horde Battles: As great of a concept as it is especially when it comes to catching Shinies, it would be great if we had more variety with Horde battles. For instance, one horde encounter with all the possible field Pokemon that appear within the game (then again, that is a very petite nitpick). Horde encounters are nothing more than wild Pokemon encounters. Can't really consider it as "battle".

Inverse Battles: The saving grace for Ice Type Pokemon. It's such a shame on GameFreaks part that they have not placed this as an official battle option. Inverse battles practically place the fundamental element chart upside down and really differentiates a competitive battler from a casual battler. The potential XY&Z game better have inverse battle as an official battle option, or at the very least, have Inverse Battles be a fundamental element of Pokemon XY&Z.

Sky Battles It's nothing special. Really, it's just a challenge mode that took advantage of the 3DS Engine by having flying Pokemon fly. I have nothing more on the matter.

Horde Battles were great. Fighting Five Pokemon at once made the battle a bit more intense. Even if they were at lower levels than what was the standard for the current area, it could still be difficult at times. I liked how they also usually contained Pokemon that were not found in the area, though it was often just the unevolved forms of some Pokemon that could otherwise be found in the areas. They were also great for EV-training, it has never gone so fast to EV-train Pokemon before so that alone makes them awesome.

Inverse Battles were also great. A simple change to the battle mechanics that completely changed how the battles turn out. I'm somewhat surprised that this was never done in any earlier generation. But now it is here, hopefully to stay. I like the Inverse Battles but I wish there had been more of them, I'm hoping they might be extended on in future games/generations. Though from what I have understood, OR/AS already did that to a small extent by having them as an option in Secret Bases.

Sky Battles were interesting, though they are probably my least favorite of the three battle styles here. They were yet another way of changing the regular battles but the "banlist" was a bit weird. I don't know why they didn't include all Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate as opposed to deciding it based on if the model for the Pokemon is levitating or not. Compared to the Horde and Inverse Battles, another negative thing is that once you have battled all Sky Trainers, there are no more Sky Battles, while the Horde and Inverse Battles can be done an infinite amount of times. Anyway, they were fun for what they were, but there is an excellent opportunity to improve and expand on them in future games which I hope will be done.
    ---

----

I adored horde battles. Later on in the game I just kept my Pokemon with Surf in my first slot, and I'd just decimate all five in one shot for kicks and quick levels. Also gave me an idea for my own stories and role plays, which is always fun.

I didn't like inverse battles. Too much to keep track of. And using Ninjask you sneaky NPC? Cheap!

I liked sky battles! My Talonflame was so over levelled I could destroy everything with Brave Bird.

I don't really like sky battles. I almost never have a pokemon to battle in them anyways, as for hoard battles I think they are ok except that there's always one I can never find >.>

Pokemon fan girl since 1999 =D
    Raichu is #1 Forever!!!

I forgot about this thread of mine...

Quote Originally Posted by Nibbles4Ever View Post
    as for hoard battles I think they are ok except that there's always one I can never find >.>
    I had this problem for maybe 99.9% of ORAS. I very, very rarely ran in to a horde of anything.

My top favorites

Claimed by me!

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" - Sgt. Greg Parker, SRU

I understand why Hoarde battles have weaker pokemon; it makes sense both balance wise and behaviourally (weaker pokemon stick together), but I feel they overdid it a bit. After the first few routes, they just became too easy after 2 or 3 badges. I feel it would have been a better addition if they ramped up the difficulty a bit.

I like the concept for Sky battles, but I think it could have been implemented better. I wish they had done flying sprites for more pokemon, so it felt a little less restricted. Maybe if some less adept flying pokemon only used their flying sprites in sky battles, if they didn't feel like making all birds fly.

I haven't really tried inverse battles, but my memory sucks, so I reckon I'd suck at them..

fear my gible army. mwa ha ha ha haaaaaaa!

I didn't particularly find Horde Battles all that fun. However, I didn't think they were un-fun either, and more importantly, were very useful for obtaining shiny pokemon and doing EV-training.

Inverse Battle (There was only one, right? I only remember doing one) was pretty tricky to do, I wish I could have seen more of it.

Sky Battles were something I thought could be fun, maybe a possible alternative style of competitive battling?

Horde battles are the best way to grind, literally maxing stats in less than 30 min. Inverse battles are a good concept, but the execution of one battle per day is bleh. Also, it's obviously limited.

Sky battles... I hope this mechanic doesn't reappear. Since when did battling in places in Pokémon determine what moves could be used? Solar Beam in caves, Fire Blast under water, etc. Pokémon is pure fiction, and regardless of how silly it sounds hearing about Earthquakes in the clouds, the series has never logically made sense. 2013 wasn't the year it was supposed to, either. Sky battles are also not different enough from a regular battle with a flying-type, sans the move limitations and higher experience points.
    3DS Friend Code: 5343-7935-6882
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Oddish, Sawsbuck, Gogoat

Quote Originally Posted by Victreebong View Post
    Sky battles... I hope this mechanic doesn't reappear. Since when did battling in places in Pokémon determine what moves could be used? Solar Beam in caves, Fire Blast under water, etc. Pokémon is pure fiction, and regardless of how silly it sounds hearing about Earthquakes in the clouds, the series has never logically made sense. 2013 wasn't the year it was supposed to, either. Sky battles are also not different enough from a regular battle with a flying-type, sans the move limitations and higher experience points.
    This is pretty much the reason I'm not a fan of Sky Battles. There really is no purpose of them aside from limiting your team and their moves.

Heck, they might as well include "Sea Battles" in a later game, where your only options are Water types and Water moves.
    A strong spirit transcends rules.

Horde battles: I loved this and want it back in Gen VII.
    Inverse Battles: I also loved this as an extra challenge. I want this back also.
    Sky Battles: cool in theory, but poorly executed. I don't care if this comes back or not.
    (template from Jerkfighter)

I usually run away from Horde battles but i did hear that they help yppu a lot when shiny hunting so I'll be taking advantage of that once I get my shiny charm. Also, I love the Inverse battles. They are challenging and fun. The Sky battles are also cool, as you get to see Pokemon battle it out in the sky, however there are few of these and they're far between, making them kind of just like a "Oh hey that's cool." type of thing you will forget on down the line.

"Small but Brave! Keldeo the Hero!!"

new 3DS FC- 0319-1016-0613

Please add me to your Friend Roster!

I liked horde battles because it was easier getting a desired gender for a Pokemon.

Inverse just gave me a headache, I don't want it back.

And I loved Sky Battles. If you didn't own a Flying type you don't have to do it, but it does stink when you only have one flying type. But I always have Noivern and Charizard on my Kalos teams.
    Every other cast member > Clemont/Bonnie

Horde battles are OK. I really like how simple they make EV training! But in normal play, they can just seem to drag on if you don't have type advantage/AOE moves.

Inverse battles are fun, but weird... As long as you have a diverse moveset though, seemed to be doable.

Sky battles were never a challenge. I had a Hasty 2IV (HP+SPD)wild-caught Vivillon I used through the game, and it would outspeed and oneshot most things with a Psychic or Bug move.

Love hoard battles to level pokemon up faster! provides a good challenge!

I hate inverse battles i have such a hard time trying to win so i ignore those battles as much as possible.

Always have a flying pokemon on hand since i love bird pokemon so its not a big deal, just another person to battle.

Hoarde battles are the most annoying things in the best way possible. I love hoard battles when I have moves that attack everyone, but they're a little tedious if I don't. All around, though, I like the concept and I hope they keep it in gen VII. (And the shinies found this way..? Ohboy.)

Inverse battles are really fun! Theyre challenging, it's like riding a bike backwards. Ive memorized these type matchups, I've planned for weaknesses, and inverse battles turn it upside down and I actually have to think about what I'm doing.

Sky battles are pointless and I hate emolga. The end.

Well you do enough talk, my little hawk,
    Why do you cry?
    thesketchqueen everywhere else on the internet. don't call me a girl, thanks.
    role player profile . tumblr . claims . art