Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Origins

Why can't this just be the show now? I can actually stand watching this and I actually genuinely enjoyed myself for once in years-- this had nice writing, this had fleshed out characters, this had emotionally resonating scenes, this had Red actually achieve his goal of catching all 151 Pokemon, this had...you get the idea.
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 1st June 2014 at 9:28 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwail8023 View Post
    Why can't this just be the show now? I can actually stand watching this and I actually enjoyed myself for once in years.
    I totally agree with you for making this to be a main show. Also it would be great to have other similar anime such as Gold/ Silver, Ruby/ Sapphire, Diamond/ Pearl, Black/ White and this time focus on the main character completing the quest as in the games.

If they make another Pokémon-Brotherhood, they'd better not make the starter OP.

Also, to be quite honest, I don't really like Bryce Papenbrook's or-whatever-his-name-is voice... it's not enough to kill PO for me (or AOT, for that matter), but his voice just sounds a little... montage-y? Never mind...

With your Last Resort, a Steadfast heart
    Let's go cross the tall Mt. Coronet
    Who will we get? Where will we meet them?
    I'm excited, as if it's a Secret Base

Quote Originally Posted by Sunset Star View Post

Also, to be quite honest, I don't really like Bryce Papenbrook's or-whatever-his-name-is voice... it's not enough to kill PO for me (or AOT, for that matter), but his voice just sounds a little... montage-y? Never mind...
    Can you really complain about him as Red, after having to listen to Sarah Natochenny as Ash? I can't: he was like music to my ears after having to listen to that for the last several years now. I would have turned off the dub immediately if I had to listen to Sarah or Michele as Red, honestly.

Honestly, I thought Bryce put a lot of emotion into his performance as Red in the English dub, personally: felt like a really genuine performance to me and he actually sounded like a kid in the role (something Sarah has never done as Ash), and his voice was really soft sounding and smooth. It wasn't rough, it wasn't deep, it wasn't harsh-- it was that kind of easy on the ears voice to me. He can actually laugh, too, unlike Sarah as Ash: he can actually cry as well, unlike someone else I've already mentioned.

tl;dr I have no complaints about him as Red: if Ash in the English dub had this good a voice right now, I would be more that content with it. Also, Bryce did a MUCH better job than Michele Knotz did in Super Smash Bros: Brawl as Pokemon Trainer, where Red sounded like he had a really bad sore throat.

Also, Johnny Yong Bosch may not be my favorite voice actor for Brock in English, but frankly, he was pretty good compared to the crap Bill Rogers put out in the role: same goes for Kyle Hebert over JCC, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by zhixun View Post
    I totally agree with you for making this to be a main show. Also it would be great to have other similar anime such as Gold/ Silver, Ruby/ Sapphire, Diamond/ Pearl, Black/ White and this time focus on the main character completing the quest as in the games.
    Thanks, man: yes, it would be-- I would support that wholeheartedly!
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 1st June 2014 at 10:49 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

This was very good. A very close, yet condensed tribute to the original games.

-Blue is an actual jerk and I love to hate him.
    -Battles are far more physical. In fact, I don't think I remember seeing any logic-defying explosions that are ubiquitous in the main anime. Also no pokemon said there own names. I never found that annoying but it puts the battles in a much stronger context.
    -Dat indoor battle tho. The damage done to the environment is plain to see, and its such a great deconstruction of making to hulking beasts duke it out in an office building.
    -I felt real sympathy with Giovanni. I was always dumbfounded by the idea that a battle could make him want to immediately disband Team Rocket and relinquish his empire. This story has even managed to enrich the original games.

I think the criticisms on pacing are a bit unfair, considering it had to fit so much into merely 4 episodes. I can only wish they had an extra episode or two to flesh things out, maybe more on the battle with Blue. As for the speed of the battles that were shown, if anything its just an accurate representation on how battles actually go down in the games. Most battles are over in under 3 hits.
    One thing I will accept is the idea that he only really bonded with Charizard. The only other pokemon we saw more than once on Red's team was Jolteon, and it would have been great to see say, Red's team mimic his Mt Silver team. On the other hand, it gave the greatest number of pokemon the greatest amount of exposure. Some 70-90 pokemon must have been shown across the whole special.

I suppose Pokemon Origins' greatest triumph making me nostalgic over someone else's childhood. I've never played Red or Blue or even. I didn't play pokemon as a young child. I got my first game, Heartgold when I was 11, as most people were putting them down. That remains my only taste of Kanto and its story. However, the pace of the show, with focus on the key events felt like a slideshow of memories, only conveying the most powerful emotional moments.

Ideal ending- the last shot is Red running towards Mt. Silver to look for Mew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Eh, maybe I just associate Bryce with Sword Art Online too much, which I don't really like tobequitehonest.

Pokémon Origins in five words:

The Red and Charizard show.

To me, all this did was glorify Charizard some more, and I'm already sick of Charizard being shoved down people's throats. Not to mention the last part was blatant X and Y advertising, and quite frankly, I'm already sick of Mega Charizard X too.

If only there were more episodes and they focused on more Pokémon........

Quote Originally Posted by CRVEmaster View Post

To me, all this did was glorify Charizard some more, and I'm already sick of Charizard being shoved down people's throats. Not to mention the last part was blatant X and Y advertising, and quite frankly, I'm already sick of Mega Charizard X too.

Headcanon: Red in this version is a parody of Charizard fanboys. (Have I said that before?)

I would add Completing the Zukan to the five words you given. Because Red tried to catch every species of Pokémon in the show.

Headcanon: Red in this version is a parody of Charizard fanboys. (Have I said that before?)
    I wouldn't go that far. But I still think Red isn't as great of a trainer as everyone makes him out to be.

I would add Completing the Zukan to the five words you given. Because Red tried to catch every species of Pokémon in the show.
    I don't know what you mean by Zukan. Is that the Pokédex?

Regardless, that means nothing to me. He may have completed the Pokédex, but that doesn't stop this being nothing more than unnecessary Charizard glorification in my eyes.

I wouldn't go that far. But I still think Red isn't as great of a trainer as everyone makes him out to be.

I don't know what you mean by Zukan. Is that the Pokédex?

Regardless, that means nothing to me. He may have completed the Pokédex, but that doesn't stop this being nothing more than unnecessary Charizard glorification in my eyes.
    Zukan is the device that records all the details in Pokémon. I guess that means Pokédex in English.

Wait, if Red got all the Pokemon...where'd he get the other starters and trade evolutions? They should've elaborated on that.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Wait, if Red got all the Pokemon...where'd he get the other starters and trade evolutions? They should've elaborated on that.
    As well as the Pokémon which is not available in one version but the other. Four weeks are too short for them to elaborate about this although I would like to know more details.

As well as the Pokémon which is not available in one version but the other. Four weeks are too short for them to elaborate about this although I would like to know more details.
    lol I know Pokemon Origins is based on the games, but don't go that far with version exclusives. Do you really think they would allude to the fact that certain Pokemon only exist in an alternate/parallel universe?

Starters and trade evolutions are more legitimate to question. But it's not that hard to believe he found someone to trade with for the trade evolutions right? As for starters, I guess here is an exception where they don't follow the original games and he obtained them via trade or catching in the wild. When Red released the wild Pokemon from their cages at Silph, one of the them was a Charmander.
    Successful Serebiiforum Wi-Fi trades (47): Redblood012, jabs4, NoobPokemon, EH TuCker, talface, Palagerini, tyvaughn, Ubermac, BattleElf, kinder suprise, "Freak" owns, ninjakitten, cyclo195, Poke Rock, LegndKillr83, Merchant, Petal (x4), Penguin_Man, caffeine87, MegaGalvatron, Jirachidude, Dragon Rules, Wicked Weavile, Stevenwoo (x2), dax324, VealChop, Troggy, J.T., zivc, DaRkJoLtEoN, pkfan, faethemoose, thegreattjtoot, Zormon, ebevan91, Pharosher, The Apostle, Bloodflowers, Cear13, Celestial Moth, hawkmbl, Mare, ShinyRay5

I loved Pokemon Origins, it had depth considering the games it was based on. Red was a good protagonist, and Blue was the perfect foil for him -- they both grew as characters, not only trainers. Team Rocket was kind of generic in this, but the reveal that Giovanni was a normal trainer before business and money got in the way of that was surprising, he might be my favorite version of Giovanni. I also loved the remixed soundtrack. As for the Mega Charizard X reveal, I thought it was done well (Fuji did give him the Mega Stone earlier) despite being promotion for the XY games.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    More real than crap like aiming for the horn and thunder armor.
    Jolteon beating Giovanni's Rhyhorn with Thunderbolt?
    My Opinions Regarding PokémonStarted by PokémonNation2000)
    Anime: DP>OS(Kanto and OI)=AG>OS(Chronicles)>OS(Johto)>>BW
    Movies:OS>AG>DP>>>BW
    English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW001-BW115)/Average > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW116-BW142)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (DP001-DP191)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY001-Present)/Terrible > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (AG146-AG192)/Atrocious
    Games:BW1>BW2W2=P>DP>HGSS>E>XY>FRLG=RBY>RS>>>ORAS
    Pokémon The Origin: Mediocre 5.5/10

Quote Originally Posted by pokepal123 View Post
    Jolteon beating Giovanni's Rhyhorn with Thunderbolt?
    No he's referring to Pikachu and Swellow during Ash's gym battle against Tate and Liz.

I loved this special. If they were to replace the anime with this (Doing a proper full season for Kanto, then moving on to the other games) or even just making an expanded Kanto miniseries, that would be amazing.

Currently looking for a 6IV Pichu or Pikachu in a standard Pokeball with the egg move Volt Tackle, PM me and I'll provide what I can

I was amazed to see Red owning a charizard.His original pokemon in the manga was venasaur.But he made a good combination with charizard.The only bad thing is the battles were too short.

I am hoping for some new episodes where Ethan would be the hero.He will defeat the jhoto league.After that there will be an epic battle between Red and Ethan in mount silver,just like the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcresselia View Post
    I was amazed to see Red owning a charizard.His original pokemon in the manga was venasaur.But he made a good combination with charizard.The only bad thing is the battles were too short.
    lol I suggest that you don't just say the manga rather pokespe or something like that, it pisses people off sometimes, just a good thing to remember
    I have claimed

I have nothing against Adventures, but I hate it when people say that Bulbasaur is Red's "true" starter.

I have nothing against Adventures, but I hate it when people say that Bulbasaur is Red's "true" starter.
    Im fine with it tbh, the bulbasaur line is verry underrated thanks to charizard, so Im fine with it at least having that.

Credit goes to Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric designs.

A thing caught my eyes.In the anime trainers recall their pokemons with the red beam of a pokeball.But in the origins we see a white blue beam instead of the red beam.I think that thing was cool.

Origins wasn't as good as the actual Pokemon Anime. The characters were kinda flat and boring, the pacing was very off (which I understand as there was only a limited time to tell the story) and the ending was completely ruined. I might be mistaken in saying this, but was this not the original Pokemon games being brought to life in animation? Why in hell does it end with mega evolution? The story was fine and all and it was great to see the original story of Pokemon told in a neat and dynamic way, but they just kinda screwed up big time! Mega evolution was the big change, big shocker in Gen 6. THIS IS GEN 1. How can they possibly do spinoff specials for the other games when the big twist for Gen 6 has already been used here.

They were being so faithful to the original story. Why did they go and ruin it. Giovanni was amazing at least. The only really good character.
    Someone once told me that Misty's cameos in Advanced Generation help make it easier knowing that she is no longer a series regular. They couldn't have been more wrong. After she leaves behind Togepi she returns to her gym more alone than ever AND ON TOP OF THAT, her last cameo was in 2005. 2005!?!?!? ITS BEEN TEN YEARS SINCE ONE OF THE CAST WHO STARTED THE SHOW WAS ACTUALLY ON THE SHOW!?!?

Why do we even watch Pokemon anymore

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast