Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 377

Thread: Pokémon Origins

  1. #101

    Default

    This special was great, probably the best thing I've seen from a Pokemon anime in years! I enjoyed Red's journey even though it wasn't shown in full detail, but that's because it isn't a miniseries. I loved how they basically animated the games. I loved at how much attention Charizard got in this. The battle with Mewtwo was just epic. I find it funny that Red's Charizard used Ash's Charizard's finishing move, Seismic toss on Rhydon when Ash's Charizard semmed to have forgotten the move back in BW LOL. I give it a 20/10!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

  2. #102

    Default

    Posting here in the day of it's release date.
    Amazing special, and a wonderful nostalgia trip with a new surprise. 10 out of 10 easily. Mew appeared, Mewtwo had a great battle. Giovanni and even Ghost appeared whom I didn't expect at all.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Cuddled up with Makoto
    Posts
    170

    Default

    People. (For those think that Red was a bit stupid)
    Don't expect Red to know everything about pokemon when he had just started training them.
    Its not like the first time you ever played pokemon you haven't tried to get other peoples pokemon
    I know I have.
    So leave Red alone.
    Your sig was far too tall. Read the rules before you add anything new.

  4. #104

    Default

    At least Red turns into a badass as many have envisioned.

    Red: I have a MEWTWO AND THREE LEGENDARY BIRDS. What do YOU have?

    Ash: I got a Scraggy!

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    At least Red turns into a badass as many have envisioned.

    Red: I have a MEWTWO AND THREE LEGENDARY BIRDS. What do YOU have?

    Ash: I got a Scraggy!
    You are aware that, unlike in Red's Universe, in Ash's Universe, catching the legendary birds would ... screw the weather in some ... islands, right?

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    You are aware that, unlike in Red's Universe, in Ash's Universe, catching the legendary birds would ... screw the weather in some ... islands, right?
    Hmm, I would hate to live there during After the events of BF took place thn.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Distant Valhalla
    Posts
    8,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Red: I have a MEWTWO AND THREE LEGENDARY BIRDS. What do YOU have?
    Great, he's no better than Tobias.


  8. #108
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    Hmm, I would hate to live there during After the events of BF took place thn.
    Noland had a vendetta against those people ... R.I.P. Melody

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    It doesn't matter.
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    At least Red turns into a badass as many have envisioned.

    Red: I have a MEWTWO AND THREE LEGENDARY BIRDS. What do YOU have?

    Ash: I got a Scraggy!
    Mewtwo- infinitely stronger than Red's and has an island full of pokemon to protect. Trying to catch him would just make Ash look like an ***.
    Birds- also much stronger than Red's and the whole weather thing.
    Almost every other legendary also plays a huge part in nature or whatever in the anime, so even trying to catch them wouldn't be very smart.

  10. #110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Born Better View Post
    Mewtwo- infinitely stronger than Red's and has an island full of pokemon to protect. Trying to catch him would just make Ash look like an ***.
    Birds- also much stronger than Red's and the whole weather thing.
    Almost every other legendary also plays a huge part in nature or whatever in the anime, so even trying to catch them wouldn't be very smart.
    It could've made sense, but alas, the anime makes up its own facts while the game has a very dubious Pokedex with weird entries that never seem to affect the main game. Yet still, an anime trainer has an Articuno.

    Your argument is invalid.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    1,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    It could've made sense, but alas, the anime makes up its own facts while the game has a very dubious Pokedex with weird entries that never seem to affect the main game. Yet still, an anime trainer has an Articuno.

    Your argument is invalid.
    Noland doesn't actually own Articuno but befriended it so it occasionally battles on his side. Buuut yeah.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

    Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    It could've made sense, but alas, the anime makes up its own facts while the game has a very dubious Pokedex with weird entries that never seem to affect the main game. Yet still, an anime trainer has an Articuno.

    Your argument is invalid.
    Still, what difference would make if Red had Mewtwo and the legendary birds?, all the four episodes of Origins were about his team being pummeled and relying on Charizard for everything (¬_¬)

    Happy birthday, by the way

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    Still, what difference would make if Red had Mewtwo and the legendary birds?, all the four episodes of Origins were about his team being pummeled and relying on Charizard for everything (¬_¬)

    Happy birthday, by the way
    He didn't even get charizard until episode 3.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ship to Hoenn
    Posts
    46,265

    Default

    The second half of the special disappointed me for the most part. The Silph Co. thing was completely rushed, as were the other Gym Leader battles (Erika through Blaine). I liked the last episode a bit more than the third one if only because we got to see Red defeat Green and the Mewtwo battle, but the former felt rather rushed too. This special should have been a mini-series imo. A lot of things were skipped over or rushed through so it wasn't completely satisfying for me. Overall the special was decent. Better than the main anime imo.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    He didn't even get charizard until episode 3.
    You know what I mean (-_-) Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard, it was all about the starter

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lake Valor Resort, TX
    Posts
    3,608

    Default

    Weird. I never remembered a Mega Charizard X back in the adventures of Red and Green. :P

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    339

    Default

    The special was definitely enjoyable as a love letter to Red and Green with good animation, solid voice acting, and a badass soundtrack. I'll admit, the Marowak story had me a little misty eyed.

    However, even though it works as a special I don't know if it would work as a full anime in this style. It shares a similar issue to the manga for me in that it doesn't focus enough on the Pokemon themselves, instead focusing on conflicts between the trainers and having the Pokemon just sort of be extensions of their trainers. It's completely understandable given time constraints that they chose only to focus on a few stories and characters but nostalgia would only hold it up for so long.

    Still, I'm glad they made this and I think it hit all the right notes for what it tried to be.
    Defeated Super Single Subway Master Ingo - August 19th, 2013


    Searching for: Litwick - Near Perfect IVs, Manetric (Shiny) - Good IVs, Switcheroo
    Can offer high IV'd Bagons, Digletts, and Darumakas, as well as DWs, Pokerus, and more, PM me if interesting in negotiating.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Some (actually, various) coments:

    - Watching a heated Nidorino vs Gengar fight in his room AND apparently getting late to a meeting with Oak? Hmmm;

    - Turning the cap backwards. Ok, now that whole story may become really hilarious;

    - The characters' faces are so... blocky. I don't know. Their heads just seems a bit too awkward. I dunno if it's meant to be a reference to the games' sprites or not but still bugs me;

    - So... they justified Red's names AND why he picked Charmander at the same time.... Obvious explanations are obvious but that's better than nothing;

    - By the way, is it or did Red mentioned his father?;

    - And Green offers Red to pick his mon first and going against the "matching colour" picks up Squirtle and all that tying to the explanation Red gave. Clever, writers;

    - And people complain about Ash throwing balls at mons without aweaking them. At least, Ash has never tried to catch a Pokemon from a trainer he was battling against

    Jokes apart, that scene made Red look a bit too dumb, honestly;

    - Is Squirtle using Water Gun or throwing up its lunch?;

    - Green's Squirtle killing Red's Charmander? I can see the fandom making fun of that scene;

    - Hey look, it's the videophone ;

    - Brock teaching and explaining stuff. Well, I guess some traits became iconic enough to be always associated with a certain character hehe;

    - They are having hard breathing because all that time wasted with fancy and over the top poses ;

    - A disket? Man, that's old stuff.... Anyway, now I got curious to see how they'll show the TM being used;

    - Stupid caption box. I wanted to see a full shot of Raichu ;

    - Different looking nurses. Now, that's something new;

    - That random Oddish is adorable;

    - The part with Marowak was... somewhat heavy. But... a ground type being killed with a machine that emits eletricity? Stating that machine =/= pokémon attack won't work for me;

    - So... Red went to Lavender Pokemon tower at night. And... with a lantern. Why can't GF make this thing a freaking item in the games? Way to make us waste a slot in our mons' learnset with Flash ;

    - Whatever happened to the whole "your pokemon is too scared to battle against ghost?";

    - Ok, that part with Marowak and Cubone was heartwarming... although it's clearly noticeable some parts were rushed. Passable though;

    - Wild pokemon helping against TR? Where have I seen that before?;

    - What's up with those "vampire-like" eyes of Giovanni?;

    - No Wartotle? How... disappointing;

    - Green keeps his badges behind his jacket? Where did I see that before?

    - A pokemon with type advantage losing to a poke it was supposed to be strong against? A regular anime trope appearing here? Wasn't Red labelled as the ultimate pokemon trainer?

    - That Rhyhorn is way too overpowered;

    - Wait... wasn't Jolteon volt absorb? It was supposed to be immune to eletric type moves;

    - So... Giovanni's starter was Charmander...;

    - Honestly, I'm not convinced with Giovanni being moved by Red's act. After all, it took Red SIX of his pokemon to beat TWO of Giovanni's;

    - Was that... the good and old sismic toss?;

    - That battle was completly cheap. Giovanni's Rhydon was pathetic compared to his Rhyhorn (which sweep FIVE of Red's pokémon);

    - In Red's place... rather than accept the badge, I'd punch his face and just call the police haha;

    - Wow, Agatha looked like a man in that first shot;

    - A Lapras fighting in the land! I think I haven't see that since the Orange Island episode where Ash fought for the second badge (or was there a pool Ash's Lapras was in? I don't remember);

    - Self-reparing walls? Really?;

    - Blastoise was defeated by Fire Blast. So, the glorious and overhyped Red has won using a pokemon attack whose type was weak against the adversary's. Where are you now Ash haters? C'mon, explain that one *Gemini Saga evil laugh*;

    - Red just meets a Pikachu and throws a ball at it. Just after becoming champion. Nice use of the game logic (where it could be done). But for some reason, I found it hilarious;

    - Mewtwo looking overpower enough to the point of beating Red's Articuno.... Yeah, definetely something it would come from the original games;

    - I like this Mewtwo. Quiet and doesn't go all emo reflecting on his role in the world. And goes straight to the point: fight until you faint haha;

    - Charizard Mega Digivolve to Burst Mode lol;

    - No MasterBall? Well... fair enough since its use would make everything too easy and wouldn't give the story a chance to introduce Mega Charizard X;

    - And now he poses after getting a Pokémon...;

    - Red will have to attend the event if he wants Mew lol

    - Ah, now I get why the animation looked familiar at some part. It had Xebec's involvement and that's the same studio that did the Mega Man Star Force anime.

    Well, as for the special... I find it ok. Maybe it's because I didn't play the original Gen I games but I didn't see anything all that remarkable in it. Sure, it was decent and to those who don't like the current anime, it's a pleasant breeze. But while it had some nice things (like the Marowak mom, WatcherMark has mentioned and some parts of the battles, I missed something. Maybe it's because it had cram a whole game in less than two hours.

    Also, Red didn't impress me. He remained the whole movie being the typical japanese series protagonist but I couldn't sympathize with him. And no, it has nothing to with the regular anime since I tend to be open-minded. But his character... yeah... just fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rohanator View Post
    It's not the special itself I have a problem with, I enjoyed it for what it was. It's the blind Red fanboys and Ash/main anime haters that are gonna be a pain.
    Do like me: just bring up the point Ash, even on his worse, never tried to throw a poké-ball at other trainer's pokémon. And that Red has won a Blastoise, in the league's final match, with a Charizard using Fire Blast.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman456 View Post
    The reason they don't showcase Abilities, is because this was based off the original games, Abilities don't exist. While yes they updated it in Gen III to have abilities, I believe Oak stated at the beginning of the special they're were 150 species of Pokemon, making this gen I only
    No abilities? Ok, now Jolteon's loss became more forgivable.

    Still odd though because they updated with some aspects born from later games though.
    Last edited by Spider-Phoenix; 3rd October 2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Removed spoiler tags 'cause they didn't work as I was expecting them to

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mt. Coronet
    Posts
    327

    Default

    You'll never hear me rag on the main anime. Not ever.

    However, I really did enjoy this special. It's just the little things, like how touching the whole Cubone/Marowak thing was, how dynamic the battles were (really, look at Scyther vs. Onix, like a ninja) how you could clearly see Red maturing and learning throughout the entire thing.

    And Green didn't seem so much of a jerkface in this- I did laugh out loud when Marowak's ghost sent him running. He was still sort of jerk-y, but to an extent where it was actually really amusing.

    Also Mega!Charizard X is just as glorious when animated as it looks normally. It and regular Charizard were a bit on the tubby side, but lordy, did you see that thing fly?

    Granted, it was rather rushed, but I guess that's what you get for trying to stuff the entire storyline into a two hour time slot. They did a decent job managing it regardless of that, in my honest opinion.

    All in all, I'd be game for another special like this down the line, although I wouldn't count on it.

    I am so overjoyed right now about the five-second Pidgeot vs. Jolteon fight that I can't contain myself- it literally made my night.

    Current mono-type: TFL, Round 4
    Game: Black 2 (6/8)

    Regions cleared: Johto | Hoenn | Sinnoh | Unova | (More? Let's finish these first~)

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Bell Gardens, California
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Does anyone know where can I watch it?
    FC 3139 4644 6237

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In the Dutch Mountains
    Posts
    8,747

    Default

    So one big Charizard X commercial in the end? That's the final thing they wanted to show us? A forced Mega Evolution in a game scenario in which it shouldn't be? Really GF? Are you really that low to your own history? XY is the future, don't implement the future in the past.. It's just weird..
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

  22. #122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    So one big Charizard X commercial in the end? That's the final thing they wanted to show us? A forced Mega Evolution in a game scenario in which it shouldn't be? Really GF? Are you really that low to your own history? XY is the future, don't implement the future in the past.. It's just weird..
    It was furthered tampered with when Mr. Fuji had it with him.

    *Le gasp*

    Perhaps I was too blind/lazy and I never found this out when I played FR! *Goes back to search for the Mega Stone*

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Squirtle_007 View Post
    Question for someone who understands japanese: Did Giovanni had that puny closure where he decides to become a Pokémon Investigator because Red inspired him?
    No, not really an investigator.
    To recap the entire change that happened.
    During their battle Giovanni was gradually questioning himself as he was getting agitated and even exited from their battle, impulsively challenging Red with everything that he's got, contradicting himself when he had earlier stated that pokemon are just a business, and towards the end he even saw his old self in Red, in his passion that apparently he could see from Red's stance and throwing style, and upon conceding defeat he disbanded team rocket just because Red refused to accept the badge from the boss of team rocket, in order to actually be able to hand over the badge.
    And in the following scene where he stands alone with the evening sky in the backdrop, he thought to himself that maybe it's time to start over as a pokemon trainer.

    So it wasn't really that puny, it was a change that was building up ever since their battle at silph.co.

    __________________________________________________
    3DS FC's
    X: 1719-3508-1842 (Steel: Klefki, Magneton, Skarmory)
    Y: 5284-1507-9649 (Electric: Electabuzz, Emolga)

    -All that's left before my collection will become complete(?)-

  24. #124
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    So one big Charizard X commercial in the end? That's the final thing they wanted to show us? A forced Mega Evolution in a game scenario in which it shouldn't be? Really GF? Are you really that low to your own history? XY is the future, don't implement the future in the past.. It's just weird..
    Except you know, this was meant to be an advertisement for X and Y since the beginning. And it didn't even take p much time.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lavender Town
    Posts
    343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    Except you know, this was meant to be an advertisement for X and Y since the beginning. And it didn't even take p much time.
    Except you know, X and Y already have an anime and a movie to advertise it. This was supposed to be a love letter: "To everyone who played Pocket Monsters Red & Green" (「ポケットモンスター赤・緑」を遊んだみんなへ). At least that's what it says on the only piece of promo artwork and on the promo video. I personally don't see why people got the idea that it was "meant" to be an advertisement for X and Y. It only says that...absolutely nowhere.

    I agree with you that it didn't take up very much time...but I would argue the very little time it took up was still entirely too much.

    This is the sort of thing that prevents me from defending Pokemon whenever someone claims it's simply a corporate cow to be milked by the big N. It's kinda sad really. You can really tell that most of the people who worked on this special truly had a love for the original games. But I suppose you can't animate anything Pokemon related without it becoming anything more than a commercial for the latest games.

    I know I'm overreacting more than a little, but I can't agree with Locormus more. This just came off as very disrespectful to Pokemons history...its legacy. It was supposed to be the polar opposite of disrespectful. But I suppose I can just calm down and enjoy the 130 minutes that didn't feature Mega Charizard. I have no other choice.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •