View Poll Results: Who is your favorite starter?

Voters
1152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grass-type, Chespin

246 21.35%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

327 28.39%
  • Water-type, Froakie

480 41.67%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

99 8.59%
Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Starters Discussion Thread v2

Quote Originally Posted by Cresselia92 View Post
    Priority in general is a killer for it. Also, if it can't take down its opponent, it can end up being taken down. I would say that Greninja is a glass cannon, in that sense.
    And it has ways to avoid them, if you think the opponents' carrying Mach punch, use Shadow Sneak, bullet punch, either stay in your current typing or use HP fire or water shuriken, sucker punch, stay in your current typing, so on and so forth. Greninja isn't really that different from other Pokemon that are "glass cannons" in ou, you have to know what to avoid and what to come in and wreck on.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

Yeah Protean Greninja is going to be most likely OU for sure. It's unpredictability makes it play mind games. Granted it won't be too scary but it has a nice array of moves to work with. One counter/revenge killer I see is Talonflame who can Brave Bird it with Gale Wings.

I enjoyed playing with Chespin. Cute little bugger. Definitely my favorite of the starters, I didn't have much of a team, tbh, just him, Florges, Blastoise, and Tyrantrum. Oh, and I got thoroughly screwed. Mine had a Mild Nature, and I started on release day.

After spending 31 hours trying to breed egg moves... all I can do is say GG GF. Nice job of making sure he can't be used competitively. No Shell Smash, no good fighting moves, a typing that makes tanking difficult (anything with Grass is kinda screwed due to being weak to a 3rd of the game), and just... HOW does that hidden ability work?!

Yet... I still love them.
    LFS (Looking For Something) Clause: The clause states that the larger one's will or desire to find or own something, the proportionally inversely more difficult it is to obtain. To clarify for the confused: The more you want something, the harder it is to get.

3DS Friend Code: 3797-6341-3600
    Name: Juji

Just PM me if you add me, Thank You.

Looking for Friend Safaries of any type, preferably Steel, Ghost, and Electric.

Friend Safari is Grass-type with Sawsbuck, Sunkern, and Quilladin. Thanks to Chamiel for letting me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibified View Post
    I enjoyed playing with Chespin. Cute little bugger. Definitely my favorite of the starters, I didn't have much of a team, tbh, just him, Florges, Blastoise, and Tyrantrum. Oh, and I got thoroughly screwed. Mine had a Mild Nature, and I started on release day.

After spending 31 hours trying to breed egg moves... all I can do is say GG GF. Nice job of making sure he can't be used competitively. No Shell Smash, no good fighting moves, a typing that makes tanking difficult (anything with Grass is kinda screwed due to being weak to a 3rd of the game), and just... HOW does that hidden ability work?!

It is a shame since he would have a been a prime candidate for it. XD
    He *might* see slightly more use on a Trick Room team at least...Is it known whether or not he can at least learn Mach Punch?

What egg moves does he get?

Oh, and noticing your little thing up there-you can get plushies of the line for $34, and just him for $15.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Friend code-1375 7776 2368-Heather

My Pangoro in the 6th gen remake of a 3rd gen game will be my future 63rd hundred. This is a great epiphany.

I'm with you there. A page or two ago, I even said that Chesnaught is one of my favourite starters too. It's subpar movepool really is letdown; I wonder how much of a difference just getting Shell Smash and/or Drain Punch would make. Hopefully he'll get some good moves from a Move Tutor in the third version(s).

Quote Originally Posted by bolter1 View Post
    I'm with you there. A page or two ago, I even said that Chesnaught is one of my favourite starters too. It's subpar movepool really is letdown; I wonder how much of a difference just getting Shell Smash and/or Drain Punch would make. Hopefully he'll get some good moves from a Move Tutor in the third version(s).
    Shell smash probably wouldn't help too much. There are plenty of counters, most specifically talonflame.

Battle Spot Doubles Team

Sprites from http://www.pkparaiso.com/

3DS FC: 3497-0560-0061
    IGN: Joe (or) Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by ModernGamer View Post
    Shell smash probably wouldn't help too much. There are plenty of counters, most specifically talonflame.
    With a white herb, he still may be able to take some hits from him. Talonflame doesn't have much Power behind him.
    He is ridiculously bulky.
    PERFECTE MENOSVS • PERFECTE IMPERFECTVS
    I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.
    Want to battle? Feel free to PM me.
    FC: 1736 1029 6838
    Chilling in the City of Fear

Quote Originally Posted by MuhFugginMoose View Post
    With a white herb, he still may be able to take some hits from him. Talonflame doesn't have much Power behind him.
    He is ridiculously bulky.
    Chesnaught's speed makes me hesitant that he'd be able to take true advantage of it. Plus he's still lowering his already low SpDef and White Herb isn't a good item to waste that slot on.

Rather, he'd be better with Drain Punch as that plays into his bulk and goes off of his high attack. That coupled with the (while sometime situational) Bulletproof means he'll be a great physical tank.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    Chesnaught's speed makes me hesitant that he'd be able to take true advantage of it. Plus he's still lowering his already low SpDef and White Herb isn't a good item to waste that slot on.

Rather, he'd be better with Drain Punch as that plays into his bulk and goes off of his high attack. That coupled with the (while sometime situational) Bulletproof means he'll be a great physical tank.
    Well, yea, He'd be far better off with Drain Punch, but I was talking about how Shell Smash would work with him.
    I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.

Tell me what is wrong with me.

I'm actually starting to like Chesnaught.

That thing that when I first saw I was so disappointed I felt sad for over a week.
    Is it growing on me?!?!?

In-game it used to look so awful... with that kiddie face in a mummy-mecha suit with those horrendously long arms...

but the fanarts, the damn fanarts! They made him look so good, but all I needed to do to come back to reality was to look at him in-game again, and remind myself that they're all making it look better than he actually is...

But now even from the pokedex model he doesn't look like the ultimate essence of unproportionality anymore. How did my vision of him change so much all of a sudden?

The starter evo I've been laughing, crying and feeling sick over.

I really really REALLY like it now.

I don't know who I am anymore .______.

Spoiler:- Credits:

I choose Fennekin coz it looks cute,but I chose Froakie as my starter,ironic indeed

Well, I've tried nearly every fighting move I could to breed onto him, Besides Power-up Punch and Hammer Arm. I love Chespin, it's different for a Pokemon. That's how I came to the conclusion.
    LFS (Looking For Something) Clause: The clause states that the larger one's will or desire to find or own something, the proportionally inversely more difficult it is to obtain. To clarify for the confused: The more you want something, the harder it is to get.

3DS Friend Code: 3797-6341-3600
    Name: Juji

Just PM me if you add me, Thank You.

Looking for Friend Safaries of any type, preferably Steel, Ghost, and Electric.

Friend Safari is Grass-type with Sawsbuck, Sunkern, and Quilladin. Thanks to Chamiel for letting me know.

That pink long thing around Greninja's neck... is that its toungue or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    That pink long thing around Greninja's neck... is that its toungue or what?
    Yes, that is its tongue.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

I think all three starters have their own appeal. But on a competitive note, I think perhaps Delphox will be UU (Pretty good stats), Chesnaught RU or NU (Poor Typing, although able to take hits very well) and Greninja will be OU (Protean, nuff said.)

I also love the RPG theme with the starters, but since I have a bias for Stealthy characters, I loved Greninja so much.

My 3DS FC: 3067-5353-8848

Picture credits go to: http://amastroph.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalMovies View Post
    I think all three starters have their own appeal. But on a competitive note, I think perhaps Delphox will be UU (Pretty good stats), Chesnaught RU or NU (Poor Typing, although able to take hits very well) and Greninja will be OU (Protean, nuff said.)

I also love the RPG theme with the starters, but since I have a bias for Stealthy characters, I loved Greninja so much.
    Idk if Chesnaught will be that low.
    His typing isn't the greatest, but he has some monstrous stats to back that up. Slap an assault vest on him and he's an all around tank.
    Breloom and Virizion have the exact same typing, neither of them are below UU, just some food for thought.

Well, I think it was the right choice picking Froakie. I was initially unimpressed with it's appearance. But, when it evolved I thought "Cool, it's a water type Grovyle!"

This time I thought for sure that Fennekin's final evolution would be quadrapedal. Shame on me for thinking otherwise.

Alpha Sapphire --> Arceus is the Alpha pokemon --> Arceus is a generation 4 pokemon --> Sinnoh confirmed!!

(Yeah, get used to it now, because this is what you're going to have to put up with for the next 5-7 years)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ludo View Post
    Tell me what is wrong with me.

I'm actually starting to like Chesnaught.

That thing that when I first saw I was so disappointed I felt sad for over a week.
    Is it growing on me?!?!?

In-game it used to look so awful... with that kiddie face in a mummy-mecha suit with those horrendously long arms...

but the fanarts, the damn fanarts! They made him look so good, but all I needed to do to come back to reality was to look at him in-game again, and remind myself that they're all making it look better than he actually is...

But now even from the pokedex model he doesn't look like the ultimate essence of unproportionality anymore. How did my vision of him change so much all of a sudden?

The starter evo I've been laughing, crying and feeling sick over.

I really really REALLY like it now.

I don't know who I am anymore .______.
    Same here, buddy. The fan art looks great! Seen super tuler's yet?
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Friend code-1375 7776 2368-Heather

My Pangoro in the 6th gen remake of a 3rd gen game will be my future 63rd hundred. This is a great epiphany.

Quote Originally Posted by MuhFugginMoose View Post
    Breloom and Virizion have the exact same typing, neither of them are below UU, just some food for thought.
    Breloom packs a brilliant move poll for his abilities, bullet seed and mach punch for tech, and focus punch and spore for poison heal.

Virizion, oin the other hand, has the stats. Ya know, being a legend and all :]

Chesnaught is probably the worst of the three, and typing is no regard
    3DS: 0387-9436-2508: Friend Safari has Magmar, Ninetails, and Charmelon!
    PM meh. btw.

( I claim the master of all Grass Warriors )
    Breloom

Legit, non-eventShinys as of Diamond and Pearl:
    and now skrelp!

Quote Originally Posted by ajgrocks100 View Post
    Breloom packs a brilliant move poll for his abilities, bullet seed and mach punch for tech, and focus punch and spore for poison heal.

Virizion, oin the other hand, has the stats. Ya know, being a legend and all :]

Chesnaught is probably the worst of the three, and typing is no regard
    My point is the typing has nothing to do with where it will be placed tier wise.
    Tyranitar has a horrid typing w/o Sand Stream he would not be OU, maybe UU.

Chesnaught has other ways around his weaknesses. And one, that I've found to be quite powerful, being an assault vest set.
    Virizion doesn't have Bullet proof, which adds to that much sought after bulk. Not only can he take hits, he can dish them out too.
    Something Breloom couldn't dream of doing.
    So, your argument of having things to abuse his abilities, well, Chesnaught does too.
    I can definitely see him dabbling in UU.

Now that I've heard of Chesnaught's hidden ability, he could potentially do very well in UU with a good niche in OU. MuhFrigginMoose is right, Assault Vest Chesnaught actually can wreck lots of stuff.

My 3DS FC: 3067-5353-8848

Picture credits go to: http://amastroph.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalMovies View Post
    Now that I've heard of Chesnaught's hidden ability, he could potentially do very well in UU with a good niche in OU. MuhFrigginMoose is right, Assault Vest Chesnaught actually can wreck lots of stuff.
    It really can, it's a damn good MegaGengar check. Although Dazzling Gleam hits for SE, it's no where near OHKO'ing as long as he's holding an assault vest, and he can just retaliate w/ a nice hard hitting Earthquake.

I picked Fennekin, though Froakie came close second for its final evolution and the fact that there seem to be so many Fire type options, especially in regards to starters (Fennekin, plus event Torchic, plus Charmander). Having so many alternatives kind of negates how special this generation's starter is supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    And it has ways to avoid them, if you think the opponents' carrying Mach punch, use Shadow Sneak, bullet punch, either stay in your current typing or use HP fire or water shuriken, sucker punch, stay in your current typing, so on and so forth. Greninja isn't really that different from other Pokemon that are "glass cannons" in ou, you have to know what to avoid and what to come in and wreck on.
    I love this set I created for Greninja.

Greninja
    Protean
    King's Rock
    Defensive incr. nature and max def. iv.

Water Shuriken
    Toxic
    Protect
    Substitute

Greninja is actually a usable toxic stall w/ flinch hax.

Page 36 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast