View Poll Results: Who is your favorite starter?

Voters
1152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grass-type, Chespin

246 21.35%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

327 28.39%
  • Water-type, Froakie

480 41.67%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

99 8.59%
Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Starters Discussion Thread v2

Quote Originally Posted by confuser987 View Post
    I love this set I created for Greninja.

Greninja
    Protean
    King's Rock
    Defensive incr. nature and max def. iv.

Water Shuriken
    Toxic
    Protect
    Substitute

Greninja is actually a usable toxic stall w/ flinch hax.
    You're better off just using Togekiss for that. TWave+Air Slash with Serene Grace easily outdoes whatever Flinch hax set Greninja can run. Greninja is much better as a special sweeper than a Flinch Haxer because so many other pokemon can fulfill the role but Greninja is really one of a kind with Protean and such a wide variety of moves to help him.

My 3DS FC: 3067-5353-8848

Picture credits go to: http://amastroph.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalMovies View Post
    You're better off just using Togekiss for that. TWave+Air Slash with Serene Grace easily outdoes whatever Flinch hax set Greninja can run. Greninja is much better as a special sweeper than a Flinch Haxer because so many other pokemon can fulfill the role but Greninja is really one of a kind with Protean and such a wide variety of moves to help him.
    I'm so glad that Greninja is the more versatile starter this Gen, Water has needed this for a long time.

Pokemon X Friend Code: 5258-0130-4229 / Electric: Dedenne, Pikachu, Zebstrika

This is just my opinion, if you don't support the main character of the show, why bother watching.

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalMovies View Post
    Considering Gredninja is pretty squishy,you might wanna try Ferrothorn for good def and tanking purpose with toxic

I'm loving Delphox. Its high special attack, speed, and great typing make it a great special sweeper. It has helped me so much, especially against steel types.
    There is not a single door in the world...

...that Beauty cannot open

I'm having such a hard time with Starters in this Generation. I hate Chespin's Line, well not hate, but not my favorite. I'm torn between Delphox and Greninja though. They're both so cool. I'm leaning towards Delphox, though.
    Alpha Sapphire

Badges: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherTheFeraligatr View Post
    Same here, buddy. The fan art looks great! Seen super tuler's yet?
    Not sure, but I probably have, I browsed through a lot of 'em :P

I finally managed to put my finger on what exactly went horribly wrong when they made the game-model:

1. The eyes look wayyy too cartoonish. From both the official and the fanmade arts I see it was supposed to have a mature-looking face, but the game model completely failed at delivering it. I remember the first time I saw it it reminded me of an earless Bugs Bunny

2. The pose. I know it's supposed to look a little bit curved because of the shell on its back, but at least the face should've stayed straight. Instead, it kinda points downwards, which only worsens the problem n° 1.

All in all, a great looking pokemon with a bad model. I think I would've loved it from the start if in-game it looked more like this     Spoiler:- big image:
    , or if at least I'd seen Sugimori's art before the evolution screenshot that was leaked a week or two before october's corocoro came out.

So it looks like this gen is going to be the usual for me after all. I love the fire one to pieces, like a lot the grass one, and the water one leaves me completely indifferent.

Spoiler:- Credits:

So how do you breed a Chesnaught with spikes? Outside of Smergle who else in the Field egg group learns the attack?
    Team Shut-down
    Pokemon X Friend Code: 4270-1529-9156. Please feel free to add me for Battles, Trades and Friend Safari (Dark Type: Pawniard, Sandile & Inkay).
    STOP SENDING ME FROAKIE VIA WONDER TRADE!

Quote Originally Posted by MechaBulba View Post
    So how do you breed a Chesnaught with spikes? Outside of Smergle who else in the Field egg group learns the attack?
    No one does. YOu can only get it from Smeargle.
    PERFECTE MENOSVS • PERFECTE IMPERFECTVS
    I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.
    Want to battle? Feel free to PM me.
    FC: 1736 1029 6838
    Chilling in the City of Fear

Quote Originally Posted by MuhFugginMoose View Post
    Cheers, but what a strange way of breeding a move across. You'd have thought it would have learnt it outright anyways? Or atleast had Sandslash finally learn the move and breed it that way.
    Oh well. happy it gains the move as its finally provided my Chesnaught with a good movepool. Now what attacking move Hammer Arm or Wood Hammer? Wood H is not blocked by Ghosts and hits neutral to Fairy so think I'll go with that.
    Team Shut-down
    Pokemon X Friend Code: 4270-1529-9156. Please feel free to add me for Battles, Trades and Friend Safari (Dark Type: Pawniard, Sandile & Inkay).

Cheers, but what a strange way of breeding a move across. You'd have thought it would have learnt it outright anyways? Or atleast had Sandslash finally learn the move and breed it that way.
    Oh well. happy it gains the move as its finally provided my Chesnaught with a good movepool. Now what attacking move Hammer Arm or Wood Hammer? Wood H is not blocked by Ghosts and hits neutral to Fairy so think I'll go with that.
    If you're going for the support set, I'd go with something that doesn't take away from its tanking abilities. Since wood hammer has that disgusting recoil, I'd refrain from using that.
    Granted, I don't like the supporter set, I prefer assault vest. . .
    So, it's really what you prefer, do you want to hit ghosts with the recoil? Or would you rather keep the HP and have to switch on ghosts?

What a conundrum. . .
    I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.

My planned competetive Greninja set-

Greninja @Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Timid- 252 SpAtk/Spd; 4 Atk
    Ability: Protean
    ~Surf
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Dark Pulse
    ~U-Turn

I chose Dark Pulse over Grass Knot because of Aegislash and Mega Gengar. Also, Surf over Hydro Pp due to more reliability in close situations. Running a Timid nature rather than Hasty because I'm not going to use U-Turn as an attacking move, but as a switching attack that does damage.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Shraeder~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So I herd u liek Mudkipz...So do I!
    FC: 4742-5645-2960
    Friend Safari: Aipom, Audino, and DITTO!

If you're going for the support set, I'd go with something that doesn't take away from its tanking abilities. Since wood hammer has that disgusting recoil, I'd refrain from using that.
    Granted, I don't like the supporter set, I prefer assault vest. . .
    So, it's really what you prefer, do you want to hit ghosts with the recoil? Or would you rather keep the HP and have to switch on ghosts?

What a conundrum. . .
    They are very good points, also Hammer Arm's animation is terrible. Might actually go for a weaker Seed Bomb instead, with Spikes and Leech Speed making up the rest of the damage. I really like Chesnaught however it is one of them Pokemon that suffers from the 4 move curse.
    Team Shut-down

Quote Originally Posted by Shraeder View Post

~Surf
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Dark Pulse
    ~U-Turn

I chose Dark Pulse over Grass Knot because of Aegislash and Mega Gengar. Also, Surf over Hydro Pp due to more reliability in close situations. Running a Timid nature rather than Hasty because I'm not going to use U-Turn as an attacking move, but as a switching attack that does damage.
    I'd still go Hasty. He won't be taking many hits anyways, and you may as well deal more damage with U-turn. Those HPs may end up mattering.

They are very good points, also Hammer Arm's animation is terrible. Might actually go for a weaker Seed Bomb instead, with Spikes and Leech Speed making up the rest of the damage. I really like Chesnaught however it is one of them Pokemon that suffers from the 4 move curse.
    Haha, good ol' 4MSS. . .
    One added bonus to my Assault vest set is, it gets perfect neutral coverage.
    Yea, he really does, and it sucks, but he does pretty well with whatever he is given. He's a monster. :3
    Last edited by MuhFugginMoose; 3rd November 2013 at 8:50 PM.

I adored my Fennekin. So cute and fluffy. Now it's a badass Delphox > I must admite, I had some trouble choosing between Fennekin and Froakie (based on what you get given after you beat the E4), but that was before I realised how easy it actually was to come by all of the starters through Wonder Trade :|
    I am Captain Epic on GPX+ and GTS+!
    http://gpxplus.net/user/Captain+Epic
    http://forums.gtsplus.net/index.php?showuser=36116

My 3DS Friend Code is 5086-1920-8060
    Message me if you add me!

Friend Safari Type: Ice
    Pokémon 1: Snorunt
    Pokémon 2: Bergmite
    Pokémon 3: Lapras

Number of shinies found in my Safari: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Shraeder View Post

~Surf
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Dark Pulse
    ~U-Turn

If your concern is Mega Gengar then you're better off with Hasty and Shadow Sneak. Mega Gengar is weak enough to be taken down by one with proper investments. You could move some of the speed EVs to just enough that you can outrun enemies you can't hit properly with Shadow Sneak and move those to attack.
    Last edited by Xaby; 5th November 2013 at 7:50 PM.

Anyone saying Red is a good trainer please explain to me how he can have a Jolteon get OHKO'ed by a Thunderbolt. From a Rhyhorn.

Proud owner of an English Unnerve Mewtwo.

I'm currently in Sinnoh and Johto-Kanto at the moment. If you want to do a trade, notify me when as I won't be online in Kalos (Gen VI).

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Empoleon View Post
    I didn't pick him, but Froakie is a pure blessing. it answers all of my problems with Water starters of the past. Not that I disliked any of them. I actually like them all quite well, it's just that they were all pretty tank-like. Sluggish but strong. I was just waiting for a change of pace.

And Greninja delivered @_____@

Phenomenal speed stat, a wide and stylish movepool befitting a ninja, great offensive stats in tandem, and PROTEAN. Great stuff. The only problem is that tongue scarf, but I can look past it xD

Delphox is very much to my liking as well for that matter. My favorite in fact. Very beautiful and sage-like, right down to the name. It really feels like a fully realized and grown up version of what Braixen was meant to be in it's design (A Mage). And another nice change of pace, being Fire/Psychic. I was fortunate enough for mine to be Hasty when I picked her too :3

Chespin's line, I haven't really gotten a chance to know, but I will train with the Chespin that I got from Shauna and give some thoughts down the road.
    I love Delphox too...but I'm just a little bitter that it has no reliable water counter...still don't get why it doesn't learn t-bolt or at least energy ball or focus blast...
    Draconic Pokemon are King: My Deviant: http://xxd17.deviantart.com

Future Omega Ruby Team:

Quote Originally Posted by XXD17 View Post
    I love Delphox too...but I'm just a little bitter that it has no reliable water counter...still don't get why it doesn't learn t-bolt or at least energy ball or focus blast...
    Well, it gets Grass Knot... but yeah, it's a quite unreliable move.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Self-made claimer of AntennaShipping {Meguri the Moogle (Original Character / Final Fantasy) x Captain Olimar (Pikmin)}
    and SteakShipping {Ness (MOTHER 2 / Earthbound) x Doremi (Ojamajo Doremi)}

Quote Originally Posted by XXD17 View Post
    Well, why would it. . ?

Delphox, use Thundaga Thunderbolt!

I'm guessing it doesn't have access to those moves because GameFreak didn't want it to be able to fight Greninja easily (which is understandable).

That, and it's got STAB Fire alongside STAB Psychic anyway.

Actually, Delibird learns Spikes now.

Interestingly, it actually got that move back in gen 2, but only as an event move.

I feel bad for Chespin. Chasnaught's nowhere NEAR bad. I used him in the Steel elite four for the whole time and he didn't even feint once (I don't know how to put spoiler tags on.)
    FC is 2122-6736-0132
    Friend Safari type: Psychic
    Friend Safari Pokemon:

Shinies:
    Platinum:
    Soulsilver:
    Black 2:
    White 2:

Y team:
    Chesnaught, Yveltal, Blastoise, Zygarde, Lucario, Mewtwo

X team:
    Greninja, Charizard, Xerneas, Doublade, Lucario, Raichu(due to change soon)

Looking for(X and Y): All Vivillon patterns except Modern and Elegant,

Wow, I am sad at how much hate Chespin and his line is getting :/ I like all starters this gen, except maybe Delphox...Yep that is right Delphox. I just don't like it's Dressy design, they really should have stuck with the Skirt instead of full blown dress. Also the Sleeves on Delphox are just strange...And also how the tail just pops out of the "Dress" So really I just dislike Delphox, I Love Chesnaught and Greninja though
    Proud owner of the Master League~

Userbar and badge made by broomstig.
    Claimed Reuniclus
    Ask.fm/DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu54549 View Post
    I feel bad for Chespin. Chasnaught's nowhere NEAR bad. I used him in the Steel elite four for the whole time and he didn't even feint once (I don't know how to put spoiler tags on.)
    As it's commonly said, anything works for the story. It's when you start doing the Battle Maison and battling other players that the flaws in Pokemon become apparent.

I personally think Chesnaught has more potential then Delphox, though, largely since Bulletproof allows it get off unscathed against a number of Pokemon that could be problematic for others. Being immune to Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb in particular is very useful.
    Last edited by Rakurai; 6th November 2013 at 1:17 AM.

Mm. I went to lengths for my perfect Adamant Bulletproof Chespin before the consensus opinion was that Impish was the only way to eke out reliable metagame success from the poor thing.

Boy, if Chesnaught got Rock Polish, though~

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Bulletproof Chesnaught is awesome... to bad I learned about Spikes after I bred a good one. Synthesis also makes it pretty great.

Protean Greninja isn't as broken as everyone here claimed it is... but it's still an amazing ability. It makes up for Greninja's pitiful defenses, but it's still not gonna be taking too many blows. Not to mention Lanturn walls most of the Special sets

Delphox sucks... both in hidden ability and movepool
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Page 37 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast