View Poll Results: Who is your favorite starter?

Voters
1132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grass-type, Chespin

245 21.64%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

320 28.27%
  • Water-type, Froakie

471 41.61%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

96 8.48%
Page 38 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Starters Discussion Thread v2

I know how you feel, I got one with 5 IVs in the stats it wants, but it's Jolly and I don't have a Ditto that's Impish. I'll probably still use it though as a slightly fast tank.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    I know how you feel, I got one with 5 IVs in the stats it wants, but it's Jolly and I don't have a Ditto that's Impish. I'll probably still use it though as a slightly fast tank.
    I got the Impish Nature... didn't get the 31 Def IVs, but did get 31 IVs in HP, Atk, Sp.D (might not be ideal, but Max Sp.D actually tanks some good attacks), and Spe (completely unnecessary). I'm sort of a wild card when it comes to competitive battling and while I'd love to have at least Synthesis, Spikes weren't necessary after I realized I have Klefki for that.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Assault Vest Chespin also works pretty well with a bit of Sp Def investment.
    Although it can't use any boosting moves (Bulk Up/SD) or healing moves, it does get perfect neutral coverage with Power up Punch, Seed Bomb, EQ, and SE.
    Once/if it gets Drain Punch, he could definitely find himself a nice place in UU.
    PERFECTE MENOSVS • PERFECTE IMPERFECTVS
    I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.
    Want to battle? Feel free to PM me.
    FC: 1736 1029 6838
    Chilling in the City of Fear

Quote Originally Posted by MuhFugginMoose View Post
    Assault Vest Chespin also works pretty well with a bit of Sp Def investment.
    Although it can't use any boosting moves (Bulk Up/SD) or healing moves, it does get perfect neutral coverage with Power up Punch, Seed Bomb, EQ, and SE.
    Once/if it gets Drain Punch, he could definitely find himself a nice place in UU.
    I think it'll be RU/UU myself, though (if/when the tutors come back and if it gets good moves like most Fighters) it could find some OU use as it counters some big threats there. But yeah, right now it's best in the lower tiers
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

I don't see why Delphox's movepool is really a surprise since some Fire types have bad move pools anyway. IMO it is better than Pyroar both ability and stat wise (what the hell were Gamefreak smoking when they gave Pyroar Moxie and Rivalry?)

Quote Originally Posted by YourPermanentRecord631 View Post
    I don't see why Delphox's movepool is really a surprise since some Fire types have bad move pools anyway. IMO it is better than Pyroar both ability and stat wise (what the hell were Gamefreak smoking when they gave Pyroar Moxie and Rivalry?)
    Till you look at how much Blakizen and Infernape outclass Delphox... even Charizard has some more legit use. The best Fire type in 6th gen is Talonflame

Quote Originally Posted by YourPermanentRecord631 View Post
    To be fair, Delphox should have a better movepool. It's meant to be a mage, well, mages are able to use different elements to attack. Honestly, it would have made a lot of since if it had learned T-Bolt and Ice beam. . .
    Really, it's got an odd move-pool, and it's HA comparatively, is horrid.
    PERFECTE MENOSVS • PERFECTE IMPERFECTVS
    I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.
    Want to battle? Feel free to PM me.
    FC: 1736 1029 6838
    Chilling in the City of Fear

Quote Originally Posted by MuhFugginMoose View Post
    To be fair, Delphox should have a better movepool. It's meant to be a mage, well, mages are able to use different elements to attack. Honestly, it would have made a lot of since if it had learned T-Bolt and Ice beam. . .
    Really, it's got an odd move-pool, and it's HA comparatively, is horrid.
    To be fair, not all mages have proficiency in many elements, like in numerous Fire Emblem games. Delphox is probably meant to be a Fire Mage in specific, which would explain its limited movepool that's enough to make a moveset, at least. That's not to say I don't think it should have a wider movepool, but Ice Beam probably wouldn't make much sense on Delphox (ignore the fact that it gets Rain Dance). It definitely has better abilities than Pyroar, though, so it's not the worst Fire type from this generation.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    To be fair, not all mages have proficiency in many elements, like in numerous Fire Emblem games. Delphox is probably meant to be a Fire Mage in specific, which would explain its limited movepool that's enough to make a moveset, at least. That's not to say I don't think it should have a wider movepool, but Ice Beam probably wouldn't make much sense on Delphox (ignore the fact that it gets Rain Dance). It definitely has better abilities than Pyroar, though, so it's not the worst Fire type from this generation.
    Delphox has no way of stopping it's biggest weakness in Dark types... so it really needed Aura Sphere or Focus Blast

I almost switched nature goals when a random Jolly baby popped out; I wanted so hard to have a fast Chespin. >_<

But Jolly isn't awful, no. I guess it might come in handy if you were ever in dire need of hitting Tyranitar before it hit you (though with an underwhelming selection of Fighting STAB...). I'm sure it would be helpful to outspeed a few things unexpectedly. And a Jolly set that attempts to sweep with Assault Vest, and Power-up Punch and Stone Edge in its moveset, will definitely last long enough to hurt some things.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Delphox has no way of stopping it's biggest weakness in Dark types... so it really needed Aura Sphere or Focus Blast
    Well, I never said it had a great movepool. Just that it has one to use at least to some success. But no Psychic type outside of Mewtwo and Mew ever got Aura Sphere, did they? That would be almost too good to be true.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

Matching its "fire mage" inspiration would technically make Aura Sphere or Focus Blast unlikely. Both of those moves match more of a "warrior monk" type. A mental as well as physical fighter. Obviously Nintendo's movesets on many Pokemon don't really match their inspirations, but maybe this one they felt should. Personally I think Nintendo was clearly favoring Charizard over his fellow Kanto starters, so maybe they felt shafting Delphox would be alright.
    My Decade of Pokemon Games: December 25, 2004-November 21, 2014
    LESRXDCPFPF DSSWB2XAegislashHawluchaYDelphoxMalamar
    AS ?

My favorite PS replay-Sableye wrecks Mewtwo, Giratina, and Arceus

Well, I never said it had a great movepool. Just that it has one to use at least to some success. But no Psychic type outside of Mewtwo and Mew ever got Aura Sphere, did they? That would be almost too good to be true.
    Yeah I know mentioning Aura Sphere was a stretch XD but Focus Blast would have helped

Fire Emblem mages have access to Ice, Wind, Fire and Thunder off the top of my head, which is pretty much a basic set for most mages. Granted, Ice and Flying wouldn't have made much sense, but other Fire starters have gotten Electric type moves like Thunderpunch and Wild Charge, so there's good reason to believe that it should've gotten at least something from that typing. Same with Focus Blast since most Psychic types learn it.

Also, the Pyroar comparison isn't that glowing considering that Pyroar itself is not that great, and this is coming from a fan of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    I almost switched nature goals when a random Jolly baby popped out; I wanted so hard to have a fast Chespin. >_<

But Jolly isn't awful, no. I guess it might come in handy if you were ever in dire need of hitting Tyranitar before it hit you (though with an underwhelming selection of Fighting STAB...). I'm sure it would be helpful to outspeed a few things unexpectedly. And a Jolly set that attempts to sweep with Assault Vest, and Power-up Punch and Stone Edge in its moveset, will definitely last long enough to hurt some things.
    True, Jolly does have its uses and I didn't think of some of those options. I'll try out that Assault Vest set since it could be useful in curbing some threats that my team can't manage, even with the underwhelming Fighting STAB options.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 6th November 2013 at 2:37 AM.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

True, Jolly does have its uses and I didn't think of some of those options. I'll try out that Assault Vest set since it could be useful in curbing some threats that my team can't manage, even with the underwhelming Fighting STAB options.
    Hammer Arm may not be the greatest STAB Fighting Move, but Chesnaught doesn't really mind the Speed drop since it's slow to begin with. If you hate it though, Low Sweep has some usage

I like how Froakie was almost in last place now it leads the race xD

Anyways, been team Chespin since Day 1!

Here are my opinions:

Fennekin:
    I...hate it. I have since day 1 and Braixen added to it. The whole line is horrible imo. That ear hair is a killer >.> Also, Delphox's robe is ewww. I will never pick this in-game. Been trying to warm up to it but eww, I can't.

Froakie:
    I think it is cool. Greninja is very good and I love it's design! I named mine Miley Cyrus bc dat tongue.

Chespin:
    I love this line! My favorite starter line so far! Call me weird, but I love Quilladin's design! I know it is very unpopular but whatever haha.

I'm really enjoying Greninja as my fully evolved Starter in X version. Unlike some other Water-types that I've used Greninja's moveset seems a lot more diverse and I think I'll be picking Froakie again as my Starter in Y version since it's been so reliable in X version. I'll try and get a Fennekin via trade as well since I still love Fennekin and Braixen.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I'm really enjoying Greninja as my fully evolved Starter in X version. Unlike some other Water-types that I've used Greninja's moveset seems a lot more diverse and I think I'll be picking Froakie again as my Starter in Y version since it's been so reliable in X version. I'll try and get a Fennekin via trade as well since I still love Fennekin and Braixen.
    Why not just use the Fennekin you get from your rival after beating the Elite Four?

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Froakie doesn't get any better coverage then past Water starters, so I have no idea what people are talking about in that regard.

Hammer Arm may not be the greatest STAB Fighting Move, but Chesnaught doesn't really mind the Speed drop since it's slow to begin with. If you hate it though, Low Sweep has some usage
    Who neg reps this? If you don't understand just ask the question instead of abusing a useless feature here :P And what's hard to understand about this anyway... people don't like the speed drop from Hammer Arm, so while Low Sweep maybe weaker, the speed drop it causes to the opponent can be a difference changer

Froakie doesn't get any better coverage then past Water starters, so I have no idea what people are talking about in that regard.
    Protean helps.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Between the three, I'm actually torn between Chespin and Froakie as my favorite starter for XY. I'm not as big a fan of Fennekin on its own (at least it's not a Fire/Fighting again, right?), but I do like the "holy trinity" theme that ChFeFr have going on as a group!

The Torchic event forced my hand in picking Froakie as my Gen6 starter since I wanted to aim for type coverage, along with Bulbasaur. Of course, thanks to the magic of GTS I have all the main starters anyway :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Protean helps.
    Yup it does (because I'm currently using one)... but I don't find it any better then past Water starters other then it's Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Austratus View Post
    The Torchic event forced my hand in picking Froakie as my Gen6 starter since I wanted to aim for type coverage, along with Bulbasaur. Of course, thanks to the magic of GTS I have all the main starters anyway :P
    It does feel easier to get the starters doesn't it? I still have my problems with the GTS, but I got the starters fairy easier this generation (Protean Froakie and Bulletproof Quilladon)

Haven't cared to try and get Magician Fennekin
    Last edited by Joltik-Kid; 6th November 2013 at 4:33 AM.

I never did like Chespin, but I was originally going to go with Fenniken until its other two evolutions we're revealed, guess I'll have to stick with Vulpix. I always was going to go with Charmander due to Mega Charizard X (Even though I can get Torchicc and Fletchling). Greninja is the only final evolution I actually liked, and Froakie is cute, so I went with it.

I officially own Pikachu!

Looking For:
    Pokemon: Pikachu/Pichu
    Shiny: No
    Nature: Timid, Adament or some other decent nature
    Hidden Ability: Not necessary, but obviously would be nice
    Egg Moves: Volt Tackle
    IV's: Preferably decent
    I can trade exclusives from both games and a level 50 Garchomp with Dragon Claw and Dig, holding a Dragon Fang

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Why not just use the Fennekin you get from your rival after beating the Elite Four?
    I haven't gotten to that part yet. But I suppose I could easily use that Fennekin on my X version team instead. I'd have to replace one of my Pokemon though, probably Pyroar so I wouldn't have two Fire-types. I'll definitely think about it since I want to use Fennekin's line really badly; I've even grown to like Delphox, which I wasn't a huge fan of before.

Fire Emblem mages have access to Ice, Wind, Fire and Thunder off the top of my head, which is pretty much a basic set for most mages. Granted, Ice and Flying wouldn't have made much sense, but other Fire starters have gotten Electric type moves like Thunderpunch and Wild Charge, so there's good reason to believe that it should've gotten at least something from that typing. Same with Focus Blast since most Psychic types learn it.

Also, the Pyroar comparison isn't that glowing considering that Pyroar itself is not that great, and this is coming from a fan of it.
    For most, yeah, but not all mages have the ability to use each of these types of magic (Radiant Dawn's basic mage classes and FE4 mages). I'm still going with this all dealing with the massive Fire Mage motif to explain a limited movepool. And at least on the special side of moves, the only fire types to get Thunderbolt are Magmortar and Rotom-H (if I recall correctly), so it's not like it's missing a huge thing that other fire types get. Besides, I don't mean to say it's not logical to assume that Delphox should have got an Electric type move or the like (nor am I saying it makes more sense that it doesn't get them). I'm just offering a possible explanation for why it doesn't get those moves. Of course, that could all change with Move Tutors in a future game, but I have no idea what they might do there.

As for the Pyroar comparison, I'm simply comparing them on the basis of a 6th Gen fire type, and it's making the point I'm trying to connect.

Page 38 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast