View Poll Results: Who is your favorite starter?

Voters
1055. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grass-type, Chespin

230 21.80%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

304 28.82%
  • Water-type, Froakie

429 40.66%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

92 8.72%
Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: Starters Discussion Thread v2

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    For most, yeah, but not all mages have the ability to use each of these types of magic (Radiant Dawn's basic mage classes and FE4 mages). I'm still going with this all dealing with the massive Fire Mage motif to explain a limited movepool. And at least on the special side of moves, the only fire types to get Thunderbolt are Magmortar and Rotom-H (if I recall correctly), so it's not like it's missing a huge thing that other fire types get. Besides, I don't mean to say it's not logical to assume that Delphox should have got an Electric type move or the like (nor am I saying it makes more sense that it doesn't get them). I'm just offering a possible explanation for why it doesn't get those moves. Of course, that could all change with Move Tutors in a future game, but I have no idea what they might do there.

As for the Pyroar comparison, I'm simply comparing them on the basis of a 6th Gen fire type, and it's making the point I'm trying to connect.
    On the flip side though, a good number of Psychic types can so there's still that lack in terms of that typing. Also, that example for FE is still rather isolated as only two games had that example, and even then when they promoted they got the other elemental magic types to use so it's not the best representation of your reasoning.

Regardless, I understand what you mean, it's just that my problem with how Delphox is treated is that both Greninja and Chesnaught still got a decent amount of moves outside of their 2 starting types, and the other fire types got relatively decent choices as well while Delphox is forced to rely on four different types and they lack coverage all together. It's a bit glaring that those starters don't suffer nearly as much in that area as it does.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 6th November 2013 at 5:36 AM.

A new region awaits us, soon we shall uncover and unlock everything it has to offer...

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    On the flip side though, a good number of Psychic types can so there's still that lack in terms of that typing. Also, that example for FE is still rather isolated as only two games had that example, and even then when they promoted they got the other elemental magic types to use so it's not the best representation of your reasoning.

Regardless, I understand what you mean, it's just that my problem with how Delphox is treated is that both Greninja and Chesnaught still got a decent amount of moves outside of their 2 starting types, and the other fire types got relatively decent choices as well while Delphox is forced to rely on four different types and they lack coverage all together. It's a bit glaring that those starters don't suffer nearly as much in that area as it does.
    Even then, their proficiency varies in those types they gain access to, and that's not the point I'm attempting to address. I could bring Golden Sun in as an example, but that seems like a totally different representation. But if you understand what I mean, then it doesn't seem as relevant to address it.

Well...Typhlosion's hardly any better off than Delphox. Yes, I know he gets Focus Blast for whatever reason (I hate Focus Blast myself, anyway), but he suffers far more than Delphox does in terms of move variety. Delphox at least has a variety of support moves (some are rather niche) it can use.
    Black 2 FC: 3654 9501 9964 // AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Spinda!

Current Hunts:

Even then, their proficiency varies in those types they gain access to, and that's not the point I'm attempting to address. I could bring Golden Sun in as an example, but that seems like a totally different representation. But if you understand what I mean, then it doesn't seem as relevant to address it.

Well...Typhlosion's hardly any better off than Delphox. Yes, I know he gets Focus Blast for whatever reason (I hate Focus Blast myself, anyway), but he suffers far more than Delphox does in terms of move variety. Delphox at least has a variety of support moves (some are rather niche) it can use.
    Well, if Typhlosion's just focusing on its special stat I agree, but if it dips into its weaker (but still usable) Atk stat, then it gets Earthquake, Brick Break, Shadow Claw, Wild Charge and Rock Slide on top of Fire moves and Extrasensory, which is more then Delphox can say at the moment. Having said that, both are pretty limited compared to their other Fire brethren in that area.

I do agree about its support movepool being good, which is probably going to be its selling point.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 6th November 2013 at 6:54 AM.

A new region awaits us, soon we shall uncover and unlock everything it has to offer...

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    Well, if Typhlosion's just focusing on its special stat I agree, but if it dips into its weaker (but still usable) Atk stat, then it gets Earthquake, Brick Break, Shadow Claw, Wild Charge and Rock Slide on top of Fire moves, which is more then Delphox can say at the moment. Having said that, both are pretty limited compared to their other Fire brethren in that area. I do agree about its support movepool being good, which is probably going to be its selling point.
    Well, I guess it's usable attack, but I know that I wouldn't use it myself. Though whether or not I'd use it is less relevant. I know I mentioned it earlier, but I suppose we should just wait and see if better moves come with move tutors, or if they outright give it more TM access like they did with some Pokemon in B2/W2 (Klingklang with Wild Charge). In conclusion, though, I definitely don't see it ever getting to OU or even BL at this time, but those support moves like Hypnosis and Wish could definitely see a use on some set. If nothing else, being a Fire starter that isn't Fire/Fighting is something to set it apart from other Fire types.
    Black 2 FC: 3654 9501 9964 // AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Spinda!

Current Hunts:

Well, I guess it's usable attack, but I know that I wouldn't use it myself. Though whether or not I'd use it is less relevant. I know I mentioned it earlier, but I suppose we should just wait and see if better moves come with move tutors, or if they outright give it more TM access like they did with some Pokemon in B2/W2 (Klingklang with Wild Charge). In conclusion, though, I definitely don't see it ever getting to OU or even BL at this time, but those support moves like Hypnosis and Wish could definitely see a use on some set. If nothing else, being a Fire starter that isn't Fire/Fighting is something to set it apart from other Fire types.
    True, and it's not a common choice for Typhlosion, it's more just an option it can abuse rather then one it'd prefer to.

Anyway, I agree that it'll probably get a lot better for Delphox once the Move Tutors come back in the next game(s). I could see it getting a lot of variety from them.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 6th November 2013 at 7:22 AM.

I'm banking that Delphox has a limited move pool due to her new type comboa for a starter. Look at Blaziken, leveling up it's best moves were Flamethrower and Sky Uppercut (iirc) originally, and the TM coverage in ruby it got really extended to Rock and Ground (maybe Flying if you liked Aerial Ace). Blaziken was a new combo at the time, and the waters were being tested. Infernape had a wider movepool than Blaziken, and Emboar holds the title of being the only (currently) available Fire Type with a Water attack (new steam legendary will beat that out in a weird way).

I figure Delphox is the testing of the waters for it's combo, as a Starter Psychic is a pretty decent offensive type ingame. Defensively, well Darmanitan and Victini showed us what they had...
    Sig Strike #4.
    The image is too large (over 420 x 600 pixels). Entire signature has been removed, and a 2-week ban is given.

Yeah I could see Delphox get some better moves from move tutors like Signal Beam, Heal Bell, and although a big stretch, Icy Wind.

Granted Magician is unusable but if Delphox holds a Fire Gem (when we get them), will the item activate before Magician? Because if so then it could be decent, deal high damage and take an item at the same time when Fire Gem is consumed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloneblazer12 View Post
    Well fuk u too

I think some of you are overestimating the power of the tutors... sure Delphox could find some good moves, but it still will be unable to compete with competition in the forms of Volcarona, Chandelure, and Infernape. If it gets Morning Sun this could all change, but if it doesn't...then no new attacking move outside of Focus Blast is gonna help it move up any higher then UU

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFlygon08 View Post
    I'm banking that Delphox has a limited move pool due to her new type comboa for a starter. Look at Blaziken, leveling up it's best moves were Flamethrower and Sky Uppercut (iirc) originally, and the TM coverage in ruby it got really extended to Rock and Ground (maybe Flying if you liked Aerial Ace). Blaziken was a new combo at the time, and the waters were being tested. Infernape had a wider movepool than Blaziken, and Emboar holds the title of being the only (currently) available Fire Type with a Water attack (new steam legendary will beat that out in a weird way).

I figure Delphox is the testing of the waters for it's combo, as a Starter Psychic is a pretty decent offensive type ingame. Defensively, well Darmanitan and Victini showed us what they had...
    What are you getting at exactly? Victini shares Delphox's typing.... Back when Victini was considered a unique type, it had brilliant coverage even when first introduced and only got better through events. So you can say Fire/Psychic is new for a starter (but that hardly makes a difference) sure, but to think GameFreak has yet to test the waters is false. And before you say Victini is a legendary... it's got weaker speed and special attack then Delphox and it currently finds it's home in the UU tier despite being a base 600 Pokemon.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

I'm saying as a starter combo it's new, and psychic is seen as a more powerful type ingame. It's natural they'd not want to overpower the 1st starter to have the type. The 1st Fire/Fighting was in the same boat, pretty boring movepool, got better later. Delphox is going to look bland, but later (either remakes, 3rd game, or later generations) it will develop something new (like speed boost or something).
    Sig Strike #4.
    The image is too large (over 420 x 600 pixels). Entire signature has been removed, and a 2-week ban is given.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalFlygon08 View Post
    I'm saying as a starter combo it's new, and psychic is seen as a more powerful type ingame. It's natural they'd not want to overpower the 1st starter to have the type. The 1st Fire/Fighting was in the same boat, pretty boring movepool, got better later. Delphox is going to look bland, but later (either remakes, 3rd game, or later generations) it will develop something new (like speed boost or something).
    That just sounds like an excuse to me... there is no reason for nerfing a starter of an already existing type

Mega Evolution is it's only chance at saving grace... the only reason they changed some 5th gen Pokemon's hidden abilities is for balance. Yeah Speed Boost on Scolipede is a "wtf" moment, but considering the Fairies, I assuming that's still what it was amounting to. And even then some Mega Pokemon didn't even get good coverage.
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

If i wanted each starter to have at least 3 different types of moves and attacking moves only. What would you suggest as movesets?
    Last edited by Sancho; 6th November 2013 at 7:09 PM.

Okay I've definitely decided to use Fennekin on X version once Shauna trades it to me during the post game or whenever that is. That way I can use the Froakie and Fennekin lines in one game and then choose Chespin as my Starter in Y version when I get it. It'll be weird having two Starters on my team though; the only other time I had more than one Starter was in LeafGreen and that was like 10 years ago lol.

I've only used Fennekin so voted for her. But overall I'm more impressed with these starters than the b/W starters. Can't wait to give them all a try.

My favorite this gen is definitely Froakie.

In other news I finally got all 3 Kalos starters. I started with Froakie, received Shauna's Fennekin in the post game and got a Chespin from GTS.
    Fact: All fanbases are unpleasable, deal with it.

Pokemon Red Team: Corona LV.53 Garland LV.44 Salt LV.47 Rime LV.48 Blitz LV.55 Buckle LV. 46 Badges: 8, Elite Four defeated.

Pokemon Crystal Team: Flower LV.62 Torrent LV.61 Echo LV.58 Shade LV. 57 Vortex LV.60 Brand LV. 60Badges: 16, Elite Four defeated, Red defeated

Ranked 5,823rd place in the VGC 2011 Autumn Friendly Tourney

I haven't picked a water starter since gen 2, Froakie finally broke that trend for me.

I wonder if a mixed physical and special attack set would be viable, despite its attack being a bit lower than its special attack. Water Shuriken is just screaming out for a hold item that has the same effect as the Skill Link ability, I'd certainly have no qualms about using it then.

I voted for Froakie because, as my username might suggest, it's one of my favs this gen.

Fennekin actually started as my fav because I absolutely love Delphox but then I found out about Greninja and it has to be one of the most badass looking Pokémon ever. The only other gen I prefered the Water-type starter over of the Fire-type one was gen 2, so it's gonna bring a whole new dynamic to my team once I finally get Pokémon Y (hopefully today or tomorrow, tops)... Plus, I'll get the chance to have Delphox later in the game (and I'm buying Pokemon X later too so I can trade) and my 2nd starter will definitely be Charmander and I don't really like having two fire-types in my team. Also really tempted to include Torchic on my team because Blaziken's Mega Evolution looks amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    That just sounds like an excuse to me... there is no reason for nerfing a starter of an already existing type

Mega Evolution is it's only chance at saving grace... the only reason they changed some 5th gen Pokemon's hidden abilities is for balance. Yeah Speed Boost on Scolipede is a "wtf" moment, but considering the Fairies, I assuming that's still what it was amounting to. And even then some Mega Pokemon didn't even get good coverage.
    Speed Boost on Scolipede makes way more sense than Quick Feet did. With Toxic Orb not working on Scolipede, the only option is Flame Orb...which cuts its attack. Yeah, great job there Game Freak. Speed Boost makes a bit more sense with that "let's make Scolipede faster" idea.

i have dilemma im breeding dream world froakies. what is the best nature to use i have a female modest froakie with Protean. Is it worth breeding a heap of modest ones or should i aim for a hasty or naive nature which i think alot of people of been speculating about?
    friend code 4270-1547-7651

Naive is better as it lets use physical attacks effectively at the cost of an extremely minimal amount of defense.

It also needs the speed as it risks being outsped by numerous dangerous Pokemon otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by austoman View Post
    i have dilemma im breeding dream world froakies. what is the best nature to use i have a female modest froakie with Protean. Is it worth breeding a heap of modest ones or should i aim for a hasty or naive nature which i think alot of people of been speculating about?
    Are you aiming for a mix set? Cause otherwise Timid is the better nature for Froakie

Sorry if this has been asked somewhere else already. Just joined the forums and the search in the forums in making it hard for me to find anything.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to take a Male starter (such as Fennekin), breed it with a Ditto and get a Female Starter from the egg?
    I have been doing the Male Fennekin w/ Ditto breeding and have hatched about 50 eggs so far and they have all been Male. Is it even possible to get a Female Starter with this scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfem View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked somewhere else already. Just joined the forums and the search in the forums in making it hard for me to find anything.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to take a Male starter (such as Fennekin), breed it with a Ditto and get a Female Starter from the egg?
    I have been doing the Male Fennekin w/ Ditto breeding and have hatched about 50 eggs so far and they have all been Male. Is it even possible to get a Female Starter with this scenario?
    It's always possible to get a female Egg. With starters the chance of getting a female is 12.5%

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfem View Post

I believe it is, but the odds of getting a female Fennekin are very slim.

"Hi everybody! I'm new to this site and don't know much. ;;
    If you ever want to battle in fifth generation, sounds like fun!
    Black 2 Friend Code; 2237-9772-2541

Quote Originally Posted by YourPermanentRecord631 View Post
    Granted Magician is unusable but if Delphox holds a Fire Gem (when we get them), will the item activate before Magician? Because if so then it could be decent, deal high damage and take an item at the same time when Fire Gem is consumed.
    According to research, it activates after, so you couldn't use Magician until the second attack.
    Breeder of many Treeckos, master of none.

Sorry if im off topic, but i want to vent this and this seems to be the most appropriate place to do so I honestly hated greninja at first. I think it was because of all the fan art i was looking at that hyped me up for something that looked totally different. Now, i LOVE greninja... honestly I love all these starters. I just bred and near flawless timid froakie w/ protean and its one of my favorite pkmn to use lol. It's weird how pokemon you dont like can grow on you...and eventually become one of your favorites?
    Last edited by Umbreon2112; 11th November 2013 at 5:28 PM.
    BLK2 FC: 2709 9945 0568
    X FC: 1134 6965 6188

I RNG, If you have any requests just PM me. Also, I have many RNGd legends, events, and more.

Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast