View Poll Results: Who is your favorite starter?

Voters
1152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grass-type, Chespin

246 21.35%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

327 28.39%
  • Water-type, Froakie

480 41.67%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

99 8.59%
Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1421

Thread: Starters Discussion Thread v2

Greninja will most likely see the most use competetively, and will probably end up in OU thanks to its amazing Hidden Ability of Protean.

Timid/Naive @Life Orb
    252 Spe/252 SpAtk/4 Atk
    ~Surf/Hydro Pump
    ~Ice Beam
    ~Dark Pulse
    ~U-Turn

Jolly @Life Orb
    252 Spe/252 Atk/4 HP
    ~Water Shuriken/Waterfall
    ~Night Slash
    ~Power-Up Punch
    ~U-Turn
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Shraeder~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So I herd u liek Mudkipz...So do I!
    FC: 4742-5645-2960
    Friend Safari: Aipom, Audino, and DITTO!

It's not going to catch on competitively because of it's ability to easily be countered, depending,

BUT...

I've been having some success with using Bounce on Greninja

It might simply be because no on expects it

I chose Fennekin from the start, and I have never regretted that choice. She has been with me through the entire journey, and I even went through some free battles with her in the team and wrecked a good number of Pokemon with her. After doing some breeding, I got my Fennekin to have Hypnosis. Toss on a scope item to boost the accuracy and, with a rather nice 104 base speed and a Timid nature, and her offspring is going to have a good time setting up with Calm Mind and then wrecking with Psyshock or Fire Blast.

I rather like the look of Delphox as well, even if most don't. Braixen is cuter, but Delphox is still quite the nice looking Pokemon, especially on Amie.
    Last edited by Zorupix; 16th November 2013 at 1:25 PM.
    Friend Code: 3282-1808-1238
    Pokemon in my Safari: Mienfoo, Sawk, Hariyama
    HA Pokemon I have: Eevee, Fletchling, Froakie, Poochyena, Goomy, Mienfoo, Snorunt, Petilil, Shroomish, Torchic, Charmander, Fennekin, Helioptile, Gible, Bulbasaur, Emolga, Squirtle
    HA Pokemon I am looking for: Nidoran (f), Mawile, Ralts, Espurr (m), Zangoose, Smeargle, Vulpix, Abra, Dratini, Litleo, Spritzee, Swirlix, Shinx, Budew, Buizel, Lilipup, Minccino
    Currently Breeding: HA Eevee, min 4 Perfect IVs currently, 5 max. Still working on getting one that has all 6 stats perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoIncarnate View Post
    It's not going to catch on competitively because of it's ability to easily be countered, depending,

BUT...

I've been having some success with using Bounce on Greninja

It might simply be because no on expects it
    Couldn't they just switch out once you go up in the air?

Quote Originally Posted by Shraeder View Post
    Or they could set up or use Protect. I myself would switch out to my defensively bulky Furfrou with Rock Helmet item.
    Last edited by Zorupix; 16th November 2013 at 9:32 PM.
    HA Pokemon I have: Eevee, Fletchling, Froakie, Poochyena, Goomy, Mienfoo, Snorunt, Petilil, Shroomish, Torchic, Charmander, Fennekin, Helioptile, Gible, Bulbasaur, Emolga, Squirtle
    HA Pokemon I am looking for: Nidoran (f), Mawile, Ralts, Espurr (m), Zangoose, Smeargle, Vulpix, Abra, Dratini, Litleo, Spritzee, Swirlix, Shinx, Budew, Buizel, Lilipup, Minccino
    Currently Breeding: HA Eevee, min 4 Perfect IVs currently, 5 max. Still working on getting one that has all 6 stats perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Shraeder View Post
    Yeah, they could, but I haven't run into too many problems with it

That's why I specifically said it could be countered.

But it does usually force switch outs with pokemon I'd rather not deal with.

I love both Delphox and Greninja about equally. Delphox is like a slightly slower and weaker Alakazam with slightly increased special defense and a Fire Subtype. Greninja reminds me of Infernape. A fast and frail starter who can do just about anything you want it. Predicting sets are difficult because you never know what it's going to do.

While I also like Chesnaught, it hasn't caught on to me as much as the other two starters. Outside of Spiky Shield I personally find Chesnaught to be kinda so-so from a competitive standpoint.
    Pokemon Black FC: 2665 7832 1693

now that everyone has played the games, do you think the first generation starters overshadowed the 6th generation starters by appearing in these games?
    White 2 Friend code : 1508-0208-9881
    Pokémon X Friend Code: 0275-7830-7079

Quote Originally Posted by shadowF View Post
    now that everyone has played the games, do you think the first generation starters overshadowed the 6th generation starters by appearing in these games?
    Not at all.
    PERFECTE MENOSVS • PERFECTE IMPERFECTVS
    I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.
    Want to battle? Feel free to PM me.
    FC: 1736 1029 6838
    Chilling in the City of Fear

Not at all. I use Greninja as much as I do Charizard. And when I battle online, I see a lot of Delphox and Greninja in the trainers teams. They get a lot of love as well. In fact, its only Charizard that I see a lot of online. I almost never see any Venusaur or Blastoise. Even Chesnaught gets more action, at least from my perspective.
    Pokemon Black FC: 2665 7832 1693

Nope not really. I ended up overusing my(amazing) Greninja. Greninja just has such a good special attack stat it's insane. Now I will admit that my Kanto starter(Charizard) prevented me from using some new Pokemon I wanted to test(Gogoat, Aegislash, Meowstic).

Greninja definitely isn't outshadowed by them

Though Blastoise is still my favorite water starter. Followed by Empoleon, then Greninja

However, I don't really care for Delphox or Chespin.

Though Chespin is pretty high up in my grass starter favorites, the ONLY grass starters I enjoyed using were Venusaur and Torterra

For Fire Starters, Delphox is pretty close (If not) to dead last

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoIncarnate View Post
    Greninja definitely isn't outshadowed by them

Though Blastoise is still my favorite water starter. Followed by Empoleon, then Greninja

However, I don't really care for Delphox or Chespin.

Though Chespin is pretty high up in my grass starter favorites, the ONLY grass starters I enjoyed using were Venusaur and Torterra

For Fire Starters, Delphox is pretty close (If not) to dead last
    Really? Delphox's Sugimori art did it justice for me. I kind of dislike Chesnaught though, it's design is kind of awkward. I do like it better than Torterra and Meganium though.

Grass:
    Sceptile>Serperior>Venusaur>Chesnaught>Torterra>>> >>>>>>>>>Meganium

Fire:
    Infernape>Charizard>Blaziken(love the mega)=Typhlosion>Delphox>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Emboar

Water:
    Swampert>Greninja>Samurott>Feraligatr>Blastoise=Em poleon

All:
    Swampert>Greninja=Infernape>Sceptile>Samurott>Char izard>Serperior>Blaziken=Typhlosion>Delphox>Ferali gatr>Blastoise=Empoleon>Venusaur>Chesnaught>Torter ra>>>>>>>>>>>Emboar>Meganium

Blastoise > Empoleon = Greninja > Swampert > Feraligatr > Samurott

Venusaur > Torterra > Chespin > Surperior > Sceptile > Meganium

Typhlosion = Blaziken > Charizard > Infernape > Emboar > Delphox

Nope. While I use my Blastoise every now and again, I always have my Delphox in the heat of battle (no pun intended). Each one has their niche`. I was much more interested in getting my Fennekin and Torchic than I was about any of the Kanto starters.

For my likes:
    Fire: Delphox > Blaziken = Infernape > Typhlosion > Charizard > Emboar
    Grass: Serperior > Chesnaught > Meganium > Venasaur > Sceptile > Torterra
    Water: Samurott > Blastoise > Greninja > Empoleon > Swampert > Feraligatr
    All: Delphox > Blaziken = Infernape > Serperior > Samurott > Blastoise > Greninja > Chesnaught > Meganium > Empoleon > Venasaur > Sceptile > Typhlosion > Swampert > Torterra > Feraligatr > Charizard > Emboar
    Last edited by Zorupix; 17th November 2013 at 9:21 AM.

i don't think they over shadowed them, but they stole a bit of the spotlight away from them. i think it was a way to make those who played the old games want to play xy as well.

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

Really man, they really screwed up with the fire type starter this type. Yeah, it's great that it's not a fire/fightning, but seriously???
    Gpxplus ;D

Current Pokémon Red Team:
    Current Pokémon Yellow Team (rotation):

Paint me like one of your french girls ~~

Greninja is the most competitively viable, and BulletProof Chesnaught ain't either.

But Delphox is pretty awful.
    Usable speed but not quick enough.
    Little to no move coverage.
    Bad movepool in general.
    It wants to be Victini but doesn't the moves to pair with.
    I'd like to see go RU at least but I expect little from it.

Greninja is completely different because Protean changes type and gives stab to everything it uses including hazards.
    So up against an electric type? If you have spikes and you outspeed, use it!
    Want Ice Beam to actually kill? Protean away baby. Base 122 speed is faster than many OU pokes. Slower than Noivern and Jolteon but that where switching comes in.

Now Chesnaught like I said earlier isn't horrible, but it's ability really only works on Gengar and a select few others, and won't wall Gengar because of two moves Dazzling Gleam, and Sludge Wave both aren't affected by Bulletproof. So really it switches in on obvious bomb moves, but chances are, it won't do much besides Leech Seed and Spiky Shell stall.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

Typhlosion = Delphox -> Charizard -> Emboar -> Blaziken -> Infernape

Serperior -> Torterra -> Chesnaught = Sceptile -> Venasaur -> Meganium

Swampert -> Samurott -> Feraligatr -> Blastoise = Greninja ---------> Empoleon

Overall: Gen 6 = Gen V -> Gen 3 -> Gen 2 = Gen 1 -> Gen 4

This and last generation's starters have delivered really solid designs imo with the Hoenn starters behind them. Infernape and Empoleon's pre evolutions were annoying in the anime while also overly marketed to the point that made me stop watching the Sinnoh Saga until the end. First two generations starters are also good personally but I prefer Hoenn, Unova and Kalos starters over them.

Let's see, I'll share my opinions on starters as well.

Blaziken ---------> Typhlosion = Delphox > Charizard > Emboar > Infernape

Swampert > Feraligatr > Greninja > Samurott > Empoleon = Blastoise

Sceptile > Serperior > Torterra > Venusaur > Chesnaught > Meganium

Gen 3 > Gen 6 > Gen 5 > Gen 2 > Gen 1 = Gen 4

My bias, I am showing you it. I've found these starters to be more acceptable as a whole, but they aren't my favorites. Obviously, Hoenn starters are my absolute favorite, with Unova and Kalos starters right behind. Though aside from that, I don't have much favoritism for one region's starters, with each being weighted differently. Sinnoh is still a region where I always pick Turtwig, because I can't stand the other two because of the anime. Kanto is just kinda out there for me, and while I have a strong dislike for Johto games as a whole, the actual Pokemon there aren't bad at all, albeit rather simple, design-wise. I don't dislike any set of starters, though. Kalos is definitely my favorite set of starters since Hoenn, though.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Quote Originally Posted by TheBattleFrontierAsh1 View Post
    Greninja is the most competitively viable, and BulletProof Chesnaught ain't either.

But Delphox is pretty awful.
    Usable speed but not quick enough.
    Little to no move coverage.
    Bad movepool in general.
    It wants to be Victini but doesn't the moves to pair with.
    I'd like to see go RU at least but I expect little from it.

Greninja is completely different because Protean changes type and gives stab to everything it uses including hazards.
    So up against an electric type? If you have spikes and you outspeed, use it!
    Want Ice Beam to actually kill? Protean away baby. Base 122 speed is faster than many OU pokes. Slower than Noivern and Jolteon but that where switching comes in.

Now Chesnaught like I said earlier isn't horrible, but it's ability really only works on Gengar and a select few others, and won't wall Gengar because of two moves Dazzling Gleam, and Sludge Wave both aren't affected by Bulletproof. So really it switches in on obvious bomb moves, but chances are, it won't do much besides Leech Seed and Spiky Shell stall.
    Oh no, Delphox is not awful. Yes, you are right right in saying that it has a barren movepool and it is not OU material but it is not awful. Delphox, without a doubt will wreck havoc in Underused with its powerful Special Attacks and moves that it does have at its disposal. I hate it when people label a pokemon as "awful" or "terrible" because it is not Overused material. This is why the lower tiers were created: to be able to accomodate pokemon like Delphox. And as far as Chesnaught goes, the Swords Dance/Bulk Up set has been used just as much as the Spikes/Spiky Shield set. And I personally love Chesnaughts design: turned out far better than I imagined!
    Pokemon X: 1435 - 4013 - 1487 (,,)

I am searching for the following Pokemon
    (Modest), (Modest), (Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Jolly/Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Modest), (Jolly/Adamant)

I can provide you with the following Pokemon…
    (Timid), (Jolly), (Timid), (Rash), (Bold), (Careful), (Relaxed with Seismic Toss).

I’m also offering a legit Shiny Foongus. Looking for a good natured shiny in return!

Here's my favorites

Fire:
    Charmander, Fennekin
    Cyndaquil
    Torchic
    Tepig
    Chimchar

Grass:
    Bulbasaur
    Turtwig
    Treecko
    Snivy
    Chespin
    Chikorita

Water:
    Froakie, Squirtle
    Totodile
    Piplup
    Mudkip
    Oshawat

Sidegames (only my one favorite)

Yellow:
    Pikachu

Colloseum:
    Vaporeon

Battle Revolution (male):
    Gabite

Conquest:
    Vaporeon

Pokedex 3D:
    Emolga

Pokemon Rumble:
    Pikachu

Pokepark:
    Pikachu

Pokemon Ranger:
    Pichu

I officially own Pikachu!

Looking For:
    Pokemon: Pikachu/Pichu
    Shiny: No
    Nature: Timid, Adament or some other decent nature
    Hidden Ability: Not necessary, but obviously would be nice
    Egg Moves: Volt Tackle
    IV's: Preferably decent
    I can trade exclusives from both games and a level 50 Garchomp with Dragon Claw and Dig, holding a Dragon Fang

Oh my god who is doing the pokemon of the week on serebii because his analysis of the starters are absolutely dreadful. Its like he hates delphox yet he is so obsessed with delphox he mentions it on every single pokemon of the week so far.
    JUST A CHILLED OUT SKUNTANK GUY

MARCH OF THE SKUNTANK ARMY

Lesson: Disagreeing with other opinions no matter how small may lead to flame wars and banging your head against the wall

Quote Originally Posted by NightFire7 View Post
    Oh my god who is doing the pokemon of the week on serebii because his analysis of the starters are absolutely dreadful. Its like he hates delphox yet he is so obsessed with delphox he mentions it on every single pokemon of the week so far.
    It might be cringing for some but it is arguably the worst starter competitive wise of the three. But that doesn't mean it's unusable, in the lower tiers, it'll wreck havoc.

And according to the site it's Blue Harvest and I thought she moved on by banning herself, I knew she couldn't resist coming back hehe or it's an error.
    Last edited by Dragalge; 18th November 2013 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YourPermanentRecord631 View Post
    It might be cringing for some but it is arguably the worst starter competitive wise. But that doesn't mean it's unusable, in the lower tiers, it'll wreck havoc.
    Regardless of the fact that it's true, having to mention how bad Delphox is competitively in every POTW is rather uncalled for, and it's poor form. In its own analysis, I see no problem pointing out its mediocrity, though. Still, doing so every week when it doesn't add anything to point it out leaves a very sour impression, given that it's not actually as terrible the POTW makes it out to be.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast