View Poll Results: Who is your favorite starter?

Voters
1152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grass-type, Chespin

246 21.35%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

327 28.39%
  • Water-type, Froakie

480 41.67%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

99 8.59%
Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1421

Thread: Starters Discussion Thread v2

I don't think Greninja is gonna see much use with the Jolly nature seeing how badly Dragonite and Ferrothorn wall the set. But wait, Power-Up Punch is super effective on Ferrothorn? It's too weak a move and the damage taken from Orb and Iron Barbs is gonna make Greninja die faster.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

The way I see it fire starters are the strongest if you raise them right. Water types are the most balanced if you raise them right. Grass types though not the strongest or the most balanced are easier to build a team around from therefore I will be choosing Chespin.
    All credit for this banner goes to Red's Mount Silver Art Shop at Bulbagarden

I have to say choice scarf Delphox actually puts in a lot more work than people expect it to because of that nice spec attack. screw the POTW on this website.
    JUST A CHILLED OUT SKUNTANK GUY

MARCH OF THE SKUNTANK ARMY

Lesson: Disagreeing with other opinions no matter how small may lead to flame wars and banging your head against the wall

Quote Originally Posted by NightFire7 View Post
    I have to say choice scarf Delphox actually puts in a lot more work than people expect it to because of that nice spec attack. screw the POTW on this website.
    Well, those are just pure standard sets. . .
    Not too many people throw Scarfs on already fast pokes.

Assault Vest Chesnaught is a monster, yet it's not on POTW. Because it's not "standard". That Doesn't mean it isn't a good set. . .
    PERFECTE MENOSVS • PERFECTE IMPERFECTVS
    I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.
    Want to battle? Feel free to PM me.
    FC: 1736 1029 6838
    Chilling in the City of Fear

Why does Shauna's Fennekin always outspeed you when you choose Froakie and fight her in your first battle? Froakie has 71 Base Speed while Fennekin has 60, it doesn't make sense.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Shraeder~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So I herd u liek Mudkipz...So do I!
    FC: 4742-5645-2960
    Friend Safari: Aipom, Audino, and DITTO!

Quote Originally Posted by Shraeder View Post
    Why does Shauna's Fennekin always outspeed you when you choose Froakie and fight her in your first battle? Froakie has 71 Base Speed while Fennekin has 60, it doesn't make sense.
    Fennekin isn't exactly slow either. Your Nature and even your IVs may be wrong or low.

Anyone saying Red is a good trainer please explain to me how he can have a Jolteon get OHKO'ed by a Thunderbolt. From a Rhyhorn.

Proud owner of an English Unnerve Mewtwo.

I'm currently in Sinnoh and Johto-Kanto at the moment. If you want to do a trade, notify me when as I won't be online in Kalos (Gen VI).

Quote Originally Posted by ((JAWS)) View Post
    The way I see it fire starters are the strongest if you raise them right. Water types are the most balanced if you raise them right. Grass types though not the strongest or the most balanced are easier to build a team around from therefore I will be choosing Chespin.
    Thats kind of the way I see it, though I figure with Fire starters, the game is slightly more challenging then with water or grass starters early on in the game. Like having Charamander and facing off against Brock's Onyx, Cyndaquil and Falkner's Pidgeotto (with Mudslap pre-remakes), Torchic and Roxanne's Nosepass, Chimchar and Roarks Cranidos, Tepig and Cress's Panpour, and I suppose Fenniken and Viola's Surskit. In the early gens, the first gym leader did challenge trainers who use fire type starters more so then trainers who chose water or grass starters.

Personally I liked this because I'm use to it. I love fire type starters, though lately in gen 5 and gen 6 I've really appreciated how great Samurott and Greninja have become when I chose them.
    3DS: 2509-2137-6109 Feel free to PM your FC for Friend Safari
    Friend Safari Type: Ghost Pokemon: Pumpkaboo and Lampent (unknown third).
    Pokedex: 719/719

Quote Originally Posted by Xaby View Post
    Fennekin isn't exactly slow either. Your Nature and even your IVs may be wrong or low.
    Every time I see someone fighting the Fennekin it outspeeds them. My Froakie was even outsped with a max Speed IV but it's nature was Mild. Still, It should at least be a speed tie unless they gave her Fennekin a speed enhancing nature with max EVs/IVs.

I definitely agree there. Fire is certainly the hardest to raise but it does have its benefits because usually later on it is the strongest in the game. I am definitely getting Chespin and possibly Charmander depending on how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSilver Eric View Post
    Thats kind of the way I see it, though I figure with Fire starters, the game is slightly more challenging then with water or grass starters early on in the game. Like having Charamander and facing off against Brock's Onyx, Cyndaquil and Falkner's Pidgeotto (with Mudslap pre-remakes), Torchic and Roxanne's Nosepass, Chimchar and Roarks Cranidos, Tepig and Cress's Panpour, and I suppose Fenniken and Viola's Surskit. In the early gens, the first gym leader did challenge trainers who use fire type starters more so then trainers who chose water or grass starters.

Personally I liked this because I'm use to it. I love fire type starters, though lately in gen 5 and gen 6 I've really appreciated how great Samurott and Greninja have become when I chose them.
    In that case, Chespin had just as hard (if not harer) of a time as Fennekin. . .
    Chespin isn't too fond of Bugs, Ice, Flying, or Poison. All of which were in the first 4 gyms respectively.
    I'm not saying Chespin was "more difficult" but by that logic, it would be.

Perhaps it's just me, but I'd have to disagree with you there.
    PERFECTE MENOSVS • PERFECTE IMPERFECTVS
    I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.
    Want to battle? Feel free to PM me.
    FC: 1736 1029 6838
    Chilling in the City of Fear

Quote Originally Posted by MuhFugginMoose View Post
    In that case, Chespin had just as hard (if not harer) of a time as Fennekin. . .
    Chespin isn't too fond of Bugs, Ice, Flying, or Poison. All of which were in the first 4 gyms respectively.

Fennekin probably has the easiest time this gen, being strong against Bug, Grass, Fighting(Delphox) and Ice, and resists Fairy and Psychic.

Chespin has it tough, being weak to all the gyms except Electric and technically Rock but Grant has Amaura.

Froakie/Greninja has it pretty tough as well, weak against the Grass, Fighting, Electric, and Fairy gyms(as well as Bug as Greninja, but you won't have one by then), but it's strong against the Rock and Psychic gyms.

Ironically, Chespin actually sweeps Viola even faster than Fennekin, as Rollout doesn't care about Surskit's Water Sport and KOs the 4x weak Vivillon too quickly to care about taking multiple Infestations. Grant is more of a problem for Chespin due to Tyrunt being neutral to Chespin's STAB and Amaura being bulky enough to survive a Vine Whip/Needle Arm while being able to KO back with Refrigerated Take Down.

The thing about using Fennekin against Korrina is that you'll be hard-pressed to have a Delphox in time for that battle, even with Exp. Share turned on (which if it is trivializes every fight due to level advantage if you're running a full team making all of this pointless but w/e). Unevolved Braixen doesn't pull STAB off its Psybeams while being threatened by Machoke's Rock Tomb and Hawlucha's Flying Press, meaning the fox will likely need healing to pull through the fight, given its crap physical defenses.

Ramos and Wulfric are alright to Braixen/Delphox, but it needs to KO their 'mons before it falls to coverage moves; Ramos's Gogoat has Bulldoze, and Wulfric's Avalugg has Crunch, both of which run a real risk of OHKOing back (or in Gogoat's case, 2HKOing after Speed drop). Valerie is a good matchup if Delphox can KO Mawile before it gets Crunched, as Valerie's STAB is resisted. Clemont's Magneton is weak to Fire and his Heliolisk has Dry Skin, but Magneton's Sturdy means you risk having Electric Terrain set up on you and getting outsped by Heliolisk, which carries a pretty powerful Thunderbolt.

Every time I see someone fighting the Fennekin it outspeeds them. My Froakie was even outsped with a max Speed IV but it's nature was Mild. Still, It should at least be a speed tie unless they gave her Fennekin a speed enhancing nature with max EVs/IVs.
    Iunno, my Froakie outsped hers. But then again, I was SRing for a +Speed one. Maybe her Fennekin is Timid?

Anyone saying Red is a good trainer please explain to me how he can have a Jolteon get OHKO'ed by a Thunderbolt. From a Rhyhorn.

I'm currently in Sinnoh and Johto-Kanto at the moment. If you want to do a trade, notify me when as I won't be online in Kalos (Gen VI).

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Ironically, Chespin actually sweeps Viola even faster than Fennekin, as Rollout doesn't care about Surskit's Water Sport and KOs the 4x weak Vivillon too quickly to care about taking multiple Infestations. Grant is more of a problem for Chespin due to Tyrunt being neutral to Chespin's STAB and Amaura being bulky enough to survive a Vine Whip/Needle Arm while being able to KO back with Refrigerated Take Down.

The thing about using Fennekin against Korrina is that you'll be hard-pressed to have a Delphox in time for that battle, even with Exp. Share turned on (which if it is trivializes every fight due to level advantage if you're running a full team making all of this pointless but w/e). Unevolved Braixen doesn't pull STAB off its Psybeams while being threatened by Machoke's Rock Tomb and Hawlucha's Flying Press, meaning the fox will likely need healing to pull through the fight, given its crap physical defenses.

Ramos and Wulfric are alright to Braixen/Delphox, but it needs to KO their 'mons before it falls to coverage moves; Ramos's Gogoat has Bulldoze, and Wulfric's Avalugg has Crunch, both of which run a real risk of OHKOing back (or in Gogoat's case, 2HKOing after Speed drop). Valerie is a good matchup if Delphox can KO Mawile before it gets Crunched, as Valerie's STAB is resisted. Clemont's Magneton is weak to Fire and his Heliolisk has Dry Skin, but Magneton's Sturdy means you risk having Electric Terrain set up on you and getting outsped by Heliolisk, which carries a pretty powerful Thunderbolt.
    For your Fennekin argument, it'd be very easy to get Delphox by Korrina, my whole team was level 36 with EXP Share and I didn't grind at all. Also, Avalugg is OHKO'd by an Ember from a Delphox, I don't think that's much of a threat. Gogoat on the other hand, I'm not sure about, maybe if you're overleveled.

EDIT: And for Clemont, Delphox has high Special Defense so it'd probably be able to tank the T-bolt pretty decently.
    Last edited by Shraeder; 20th November 2013 at 4:46 AM.

my whole team was level 36 with EXP Share and I didn't grind at all. Also, Avalugg is OHKO'd by an Ember from a Delphox, I don't think that's much of a threat.
    Using Exp. Share overlevels you a sh*tton and trivializes difficult fights by letting you easily smash through a situation where you'd normally be underleveled compared to the GL. Yes, Delphox is better if you're using Exp. Share, but so is everything else.

And for Clemont, Delphox has high Special Attack so it'd probably be able to tank the T-bolt pretty decently.
    Heliolisk hits like a truck with its STAB Thunderbolt, and it's getting the first hit against Braixen. That's a lot of pressure you're putting on one 'mon.

I started with fennekin this game, normally i'm one to go with the grass starter, but i decided on using fennekin due to the fact that i just liked it, plus i like mages and magic alot, and the design actually appealed to me.

It served me pretty well, but with all the pokemon i caught i was pretty over leveled frankly ;p.

As far as competitive i've never used any of the starters or done much competitive so i don't really know. Delphox from what i hear isn't amazing though, especially compared to the others.

I think it seems decent though, its got pretty good overall stats.

Greninja has been popular from what i've seen and watched, and rightfully so with the stab on everything, lots of nice things i could see being done with protean.

And for chesnaught i haven't seen it competitively, but it seems interesting, and i'll have to check it out, has a pretty good set of nice moves. And it learns spikes and stuff.

So it could be useful, but again i don't know much about competitive, i don't have really much of any competitive experience.

So just my noob thoughts on the starters i guess ;p.

On a side note i'm playing through my X version with a Froakie, so yeah.

My Braixen finally evolved into Delphox and I love that I have a psychic type now. I'm using Delphox on Y version and Chesnaught in X version and both are really strong and useful so far. I have not used Greninja yet tho but I'll try and get one soon too so I can have the trio.

For your Fennekin argument, it'd be very easy to get Delphox by Korrina, my whole team was level 36 with EXP Share and I didn't grind at all. Also, Avalugg is OHKO'd by an Ember from a Delphox, I don't think that's much of a threat. Gogoat on the other hand, I'm not sure about, maybe if you're overleveled.

EDIT: And for Clemont, Delphox has high Special Attack so it'd probably be able to tank the T-bolt pretty decently.
    Really? I was just at low 30s at that point...although I guess it's because I have 10 mons in circulation...

Although...what does Special Attack have to do with tanking? I would guess it helps to OHKO with Flamethrower, not with tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Heliolisk hits like a truck with its STAB Thunderbolt, and it's getting the first hit against Braixen. That's a lot of pressure you're putting on one 'mon.
    I think it would hit hard if the Magneton before laid out the Electric Field. I SRed him after I beat him with the field out, and it seemed his Thunderbolts are more manageable without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaby View Post
    Really? I was just at low 30s at that point...although I guess it's because I have 10 mons in circulation...

Although...what does Special Attack have to do with tanking? I would guess it helps to OHKO with Flamethrower, not with tanking.

I think it would hit hard if the Magneton before laid out the Electric Field. I SRed him after I beat him with the field out, and it seemed his Thunderbolts are more manageable without it.
    Oh lol I meant Special Defense. True it would hit hard, but Delphox would live it and strike back,

Quote Originally Posted by MuhFugginMoose View Post

I have not played the game but it does sound that Chespin has a hard time. I believe it will pay off though.

Quote Originally Posted by ((JAWS)) View Post
    I have not played the game but it does sound that Chespin has a hard time. I believe it will pay off though.
    It gets Rollout early which helps mitigate some the early weaknesses and makes the first gym (Bug) not too difficult, in fact my Chespin (barely a Quilladin at the time, I think) took on the gym almost entirely by himself, including Viola's Vivillon.

I don't know if I've just been battling noobs, but bulletproof chesnaught with earthquake has been dominating every mega gengar I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson_Blazer View Post
    I don't know if I've just been battling noobs, but bulletproof chesnaught with earthquake has been dominating every mega gengar I've seen
    Consider yourself lucky. Once there will be the Pokebank and Sludge Wave it's going to be harder to beat them.
    MY MAIN FANFICS

Super Smash Bros Clash: 6 chapters, ongoing | Pokémon Best Wishes Reloaded: 3 episodes, ongoing

Check out my little sprite gallery by clicking here!

Delphox's appearance reminds me a witch, I think it's okay since its second type is psychic.

Greninja's second type, I thought it should have been fighting instead dark because... ninjas are fighters. Another thing is that I think it should withdraw that toungue instead letting it around the neck all the time. It makes no sense a being to have a toungue larger than its mounth is capable to fit it.

Chesnaught is cool, although I wanted that Quilladin's evolution was something more round, to rollout around like Sonic (spikes in the back would have been kept to make the rollout attack more offensive).
    Last edited by Pogaymon; 22nd November 2013 at 1:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical Jackal View Post
    Greninja's second type, I thought it should have been fighting instead dark because... ninjas are fighters. Another thing is that I think it should withdraw that toungue instead letting it around the neck all the time. It makes no sense a being to have a toungue larger than its mounth is capable to fit it.
    Ninja aren't really fighters, they're spies. Frog's tongues are very stretchy, they all have tongues bigger than they're mouths when they're using them to catch things.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Page 42 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast