View Poll Results: Who is your favorite starter?

Voters
1152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grass-type, Chespin

246 21.35%
  • Fire-type, Fennekin

327 28.39%
  • Water-type, Froakie

480 41.67%
  • None of the above. GOOMY!

99 8.59%
Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1421

Thread: Starters Discussion Thread v2

if Scizor didn't have Bullet Punch it would be pre-Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    Possibly, but the thing is that it does have the ability and just like examples such as Espeon and Blaziken it's what boosts his usefulness. Some characters just need that one little skill to bring out their potential and it doesn't make them a worse Pokemon because of it. Also, we can't really argue "what if character a didn't get b" because not only is that not the situation at hand you could apply it to a great number of Pokemon for the same result (ex. What if scizor didn't have bullet punch).
    Of course, that can definitely apply to a vast amount of Pokemon. And, I didn't say that Greninja was worse subjectively than Chesnaught because it needed Protean to be OU, just that that is the reason it is better competitively than Chesnaught; I don't believe I stated my opinion about Greninja when I said that. I really do believe that the reason Greninja is OU is because of Protean since Water/Dark isn't that great of a type defensively (sadly for me since Water and Dark are my two favourite types) which combined with it's frailty makes it hard to stand up to attacks. although it's offensive stats look decent enough (being not too different from Inferape's) but it's movepool is kind of lacking in high powered moves, the only noteworthy moves that have a base power over 80 being Ice Beam, Surf and Hydro Pump (all three of which received a slight nerf and are easily predicted and worked around). As I know that you know, Protean allows Greninja a way to bypass most, if not all, of these problems one way or another. It can possibly switch to a type that resists, or is even immune in some cases, the predicted attack to help out it's lacklustre defenses and having STAB on all moves boosts almost all the moves it uses to at least 105 (U-Turn) base power which lets it power through things much easier. When you say that this "is not the situation at hand" confuses me; what is the situation at hand?

I'm not saying you're saying that and I do apologize if it came off that way, I was trying to make a more general statement on the matter. I should clarify, I do sometimes hear that if Pokemon a needed b to be good then it's not good at all which is questionable. Greninja is one example of this, while Protean is its selling point and puts it over the top, but the other aspects of the Pokemon are what makes it work as well. Greninja's speed is what allows it to abuse the ability by being faster then most threats and change its ability in accordance to the situation, its decent attack stats is what allows it to have some power behind those attacks to give it potency and its movepool, while somewhat lackluster, is what gives it the options to abuse that ability to the fullest extent. Protean is what makes all of those parts sing, but it's not the only thing that carries the Pokemon, it still needs the other parts for it to work. Same with other examples like it, Espeon is good because it can switch in, mess with the opponent via Magic Bounce and the set up/do some damage, Blaziken because its high attack stats and good movepool make it impossible to have a hard counter alongside Speed Boost, so on and so forth. So a Pokemon can't fully be dismissed just on one attribute as it's still the sum of its parts with all of them working together.

As for the "not the situation at hand" statement, it's poor wording on my part to say the least. I was trying to say that it's a hypothetical situation that due to it not being the present one can be different or manipulated depending on the variables given or taken away.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 23rd December 2013 at 11:28 AM.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

I choose Chespin. It's so cute and strong! As a Chesnaught; he is so powerful and i know i can almost always rely on it if my other Pokemon faint however I got a Delphox as well from trade and i plan to get Froakie too but Chespin will always be my favourite starter of this gen.
    I love every Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Scizor didn't have Bullet Punch it would be pre-Platinum
    So low OU? I recall its usage rank being in the mid 40s pre platinum.

I think in terms of shiny pokemon, greninja is the coolest shiny from the 6th generation starters. It looks so cool!
    White 2 Friend code : 1508-0208-9881
    Pokémon X Friend Code: 0275-7830-7079

I was a little bit disappointed with the middle stage of the three starters, but they got better in their final evolution. ^^ I think the first stages were the most solid sets of starters so far. :3
    FORMER Fairy Gym Leader
    Alvar Badge
    Elve Badge
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge) FairyWitch(userbar)

I chose Froakie. His final evolution is awesome!

3DS Friend Code: 0447 - 6744 - 8713

Ghost-type Safari -- Includes: Drifblim, Pumpkaboo, & Lampent.

Froakie for me, frog ninjas ftw

Chespin this game. I have chosen a fire starter in every pokemon game since LeafGreen (even went Flareon in XD or whatever it's called... the one with Lugia) except for Platinum and Black 2. I went with Turtwing in Platinum and Oshawatt in Black 2. And I like grass types over water types anyway. So. Yeah.
    3ds FC: 3540-0482-6088 (PM me if you added me)
    Friend Safari Type: Water
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Octillery, Wartortle & Frogadier
    Shinies: None, trying to get some currently although!

I had chosen Chespin as my starter, but in all honesty, this is the first time in a Pokemon game where I found all three starters cute (in their first forms) or cool (in their second and third forms) most of the other starters either get uglier or are not as cute from the time when they start. Yeah, I know, I choose my Pokemon over cuteness lol :P
    FC: 4785-4992-4750
    FS: Nosepass, Corsola, Shuckle

Does anyone want to trade a shiny Spritzee, Swirlix, Phantump, Pumpkaboo or Eevee? I could trade my shiny Graveler or Chansey in return!

I chose chespin back when I started, I originally was going for froakie but disliked the look of its evolutions.
    ~~
    Politoed
    Rayquaza intensifies

Im stuck between Fennekin and Froakie. I like both of their evolutions, but I also know that my second starter would be Charizard. So I'm leaning more towards Froakie to keep my types balanced. Unless I wanna go for a monotype fire team. Hmmmm...

Spoiler:- Credits:

In my Y version, I chose Froakie and Charmander. Even though I don't have access to MegaZardX in Y version, my team still turned out pretty well! Greninja is a beast, even without Protean! He's strong, fast, and just plan awesome-looking! I haven't had any problems with his frailty, because I overlevelled him early on so he'd be overpowered throughout the game, even if I slacked in his training a little. My Charizard hardly ever lost a battle, as well, but there were a couple of times he went down due to poor planning on my part. But even then, I just Max Revived him and finished the battle strong.

In my X version, I chose Fennekin and Bulbasaur. Fennekin is a great Pokémon offensively, and I got one with Adamant because I didn't SR for a decent nature, so that should tell you a lot. My fennec fox crushed Gym after Gym, starting with Santalune, then moving on to Shalour, Coumarine, and even Laverre, with very little trouble. My Bulbasaur was another early powerhouse, being instrumental in many critical plot battles, as well as many Legendary battles later on, using Sleep Powder and resisted attacks to sufficiently weaken high-level Pokémon like Zygarde and Zapdos for quick, easy captures.

Through the trade with Shauna, I was able to give Chespin a test-drive, in addition to training Fennekin in X and Froakie in Y. I have to say, Chesnaught is beastly, in its appearance, stats, and movepool! It doesn't get much in the way of support and healing moves, but it blows me away with all the offensive moves it learns--it even gets Dragon Claw! The only area in which it's lacking is its available Fighting-type moves. I'm forced to use Brick Break because it doesn't learn Close Combat or Superpower--the strongest Fighting-type move it gets is Hammer Arm, which is bad due to the Speed nerf.
    Last edited by Paladin of Arceus; 2nd January 2014 at 11:46 AM.

Chespin FTW.

I had wanted Chespin since the day the games were announced. All my friends flocked for Froakie while I claimed the Grass starter as my own. I don't regret my decision at all seeing as how my Chesnaught has always pulled through for me including a wifi battle I had with my friend in which my Chesnaught had 1 HP and swept 4/6 of my friends Pokemon to give me the victory.

I started my X without reading any information about it (since it kind of ruins the point off the game for me), so I chose Froakie to start with.

If I had known that I would receive a Kanto starter too, I would've went for Chespin. I chose Squirtle because it was my favorite Kanto starter. After finding out that the Kalos starters would evolve to the long-time-speculated Fighting-Dark-Psychic trio, I got more interested, but I kind of wished I started off with Chespin more...

~ FS: Fighting - Mienfoo, Pancham, Breloom ~

3DS FC: 4081-5633-2913
    PM me if you added me!

Quick question - I just picked up the game with the intent of putting my starter in the bank, restarting, putting the next one in the bank, etc etc., until I had all three starters to play the game with. Obviously this has now been delayed since poke bank has been delayed. However, here's my big question:

- I downloaded the wonder card for torchic (but have not yet picked him up). If I restart the game without using the wonder card and taking delivery of torchic, can i still get him later after I restart the game? I feel like if I take him now, then put him in the bank, he will lose the blazikenite and then I will not have the blazikenite later when I have all three starters using bank.

so - if i hold off on picking up torchic from the pokemon center, then can i do the bank/restart method to get all three pokes, and THEN pick up torchic? Thanks!
    Diamond FC: 3823 5722 9917
    White FC: 0948 2392 5613
    Black2 FC: 5029 5988 7601

Current Team:

Event Offerings:
    Kanto: (FEB2012), (Aura), (FAL2010)
    Johto: (ShinySPR2010), (ShinyWIN2011), (ShinyWIN2011), (ShinyWIN2011), (10ANNIV), (10ANNIV), (WIN2011)
    Hoenn: (ShinyBirth Island SR), (WISHMKR)
    Sinnoh: (ShinySUM2013), (Ranger), (ALAMOS), (2012MAY), (TRU), (TRU)
    Unova: (ShinyJP), ( - Liberty Pass), ( - Movie14), ( - Plasma)

Shinies:
    Crobat, Scizor, Gyarados

I can't choose between Fennekin and froakie. Froakies last evolution is so awesome but I always prefer a fire-starter if I play the game for the first time.
    [IMG]http://oi40.*******.com/14b8geq.jpg[/IMG]

I think in terms of competitive play greninja is the strongest out of all the starters of gen 1 - gen 6 In competitive play because of its protean ability.(blaziken is banned). So I am very happy with that since I just bred a shiny timid protean male froakie yesterday!
    White 2 Friend code : 1508-0208-9881
    Pokémon X Friend Code: 0275-7830-7079

Chose Chespin not knowing any of the evolutions and it's 1st evolution disappointed me greatly.
    Thought it was gonna be like a giant grass bear sort of thing like pangoro but wasn't the case.
    Out the three think froakie is probs the best out a bad bunch. Got nothing on early starters really.
    FC: 5429-8397-9509
    Drop me a message so I can exchange the gesture

Shiny Count: 1

I think Chesnaught is a highly under valued starter... I get Speed is more or less the name of the game, but with the bulk to stop some of the most threatening physical attackers (T-Tar, Excadrill, Landorus, MKanga) and access to Spikes and Synthesis, Chesnaught is a force to be reckon with when used properly. Mix Leech Seed and Spikey Shield for defensive variants who don't need Spikes and you got a great stall/wall Pokemon when you include it's Bulletproof ability.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

WOW, Chesnaught's really mediocre. At least Delphox has a cooler design.
    Let's go back to Edo... Together

Quote Originally Posted by GreenEyes View Post
    WOW, Chesnaught's really mediocre. At least Delphox has a cooler design.
    And yet Delphox can't beat anything that isn't a Grass type lol XD and loses to everything Chesnaught and Greninja own
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

Battle Institute and online have been pretty beneficial for the growth of my trio...

Greninja has seriously cranked up my Battle Testing average with his sweeping, but ran into a bit of a wall once they started to roll out the Trick Room Pokemon. Will have to look out for that. I am thinking of changing up his moves a bit, so perhaps U-Turning out of scenarios like that would be best. I kind of want to raise a 2nd one as well...Just so I can play around with the rest of it's movepool. The sheer amount of trickery at it's disposal has always been very appealing to me, and I feel like I'd be missing out if I didn't try my hand with more than one.

My starter Delphox has just been a joy all around to battle with xD Wiped her junk EVs from the main playthrough to start all over again. And initially went with a sweeper moveset, but the Institute gave us a few lessons...She kept getting stopped by Pokemon that were either walls or had strong type advantage. So we went ahead and opted for something different that surprisingly worked wonders. Had this one Battle Spot match where she straight walls the offense of a Mega Kangaskhan and a Goodra back-to-back with a Reflect (from a teammate that fainted earlier) supported Will-O-Wisp, and a Mystical Fire/Light Screen combo...I couldn't even believe what I was playing for a minute, lol.

Part of it most certainly lies in how predictable that Kanga's Sucker Punch is. Let us set up the initial Will-O-Wisp, and the Light Screen for when Goodra was going to come out. At the same time, said Goodra's Special Defense kept it going by a sliver of health more than Delphox in the end. Which is why I then opted for Psyshock instead of Psychic...(I KNEW I SHOULD NEVER HAVE REMOVED IT. It's been a pretty fun moveset, particularly with the right out-predictions. And very..Mage-like.

Lastly, Chesnaught's Spiky Shield and Leech Seeding...It's okay, but I have not really enjoyed my time battling with him as much as the other two. Especially when another Grass type rolls along...(Like at the Institute...Against another Chesnaught...). Thinking he'll find better times with a straight edge Physical setup. Takes greater advantage of his Adamant Nature and Attack training anyway. And his mass variety of offensive moves. Should be fun.

EDIT: Changed my mind. My Greninja's special sweeping is too fun to swap moves off of :3

And for Chesnaught...Keeping Spiky Shield, but no more Leech Seeding. We'll leave that kind of thing to a purely defensive Pokemon...Having 3 grass attacks on a hulk like that makes gameplay very dull.
    Last edited by Emperor Empoleon; 7th January 2014 at 7:35 PM.

RADIANT BLAZE ~

Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051525354 ... LastLast