Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: General Gameplay & Battle Mechanics Thread

Default General Gameplay & Battle Mechanics Thread

Discuss the new gameplay features, changes and battle mechanics introduced in Pokemon X & Y here.

All posts should be constructive and contain ideas, support/elaborate their ideas, and must contribute to the discussions and/or on-going arguments. One-liner posts such as "I agree.", "I want [this] to be in the game!", "This sucks!" will all be considered spam and will be deleted.

If you wish to exchange 3DS Friend Codes, please use our Official 3DS Friend Code Exchange Thread.

.: So, what's next? | Edit by me, do not steal. :.
    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii.net
    Kecleon has a new ability called Protean that changes the Pokémon's type to the type of the move it just used.
    Wow that sounds cool.
    Last edited by Hasty Jynx; 10th October 2013 at 2:17 PM.

Spoiler:- I'm looking for:
    Please help. :3

Does anyone think Game Freak missed a trick with Inverse Battles? I'd have really liked to see a Psychic type move do that, a la Magic Room, Trick Room and Wonder Room!
    {Insert signature here}

Quote Originally Posted by pokeaussie37 View Post
    Does anyone think Game Freak missed a trick with Inverse Battles? I'd have really liked to see a Psychic type move do that, a la Magic Room, Trick Room and Wonder Room!
    Then they wouldn't be able to have a whole Battle style based around it.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

I am surprised that GameFreak is still doing ability retcons even after the Mega Evolutions. I mean, obviously the ones that get new abilities won't get Mega Evolutions, but still this is very nice. I hope the amount is at least only 10 or so less than 89 something retcons D/P did.

Also, Ice-type is now a great type. I am amused.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360
    Quote Originally Posted by Teshub View Post
    I also read from the bulbagarden thread about the movie that Zorua impersonates Dawn and tries to show Dawn's butt to Ash. Fanservice, foreshadowing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    This show is called Pokemon, not Pochaman.. although that sounds almost the same..
    Youtube, DeviantArt, Bulbagarden, Imageshack, Photobucket, Smogon, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, Tumblr. PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

That's a cool idea... But how will it work with immunities? Will they just stay as immunities in Inverse Battles?

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Yusuf View Post
    Haha, yes, it's the Steel type of Wonderland.
    Last edited by Hasty Jynx; 10th October 2013 at 3:01 PM.

So i guess in inverse battles pokemon with 4x resistance become 4x weak and vice versa? Did i get that right? Cuz if thats true then tyranatar and abomasnow r great mons here. Who is becomes good?

Ice might become a great defensive type, but offensively it'll suck - every Dragon/Flying and Dragon/Ground will quad resist it! Mind you, Dragon gains weaknesses to grass, water, fire, electric...

WHOA Steel will SUCK defensively...that...wow...I mean, I guess it'll have great defensive stats still, but weak to almost everything...

But that does sound really cool, an entirely different way to play...I don't remember resistances nearly as well as I remember weaknesses. Also curious about immunities. Do they become OHKO? :P
    If I had any musical talent I would so start Pokémon Rock.

Watch me on youtube! Codename: JD

Joe's discovery thread mentions Move Tutor, shouldn't it be Move Relearner? Or do we actually have a Move Tutor in the first set of games for the first time ever?
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360
    I also read from the bulbagarden thread about the movie that Zorua impersonates Dawn and tries to show Dawn's butt to Ash. Fanservice, foreshadowing?
    This show is called Pokemon, not Pochaman.. although that sounds almost the same..
    Youtube, DeviantArt, Bulbagarden, Imageshack, Photobucket, Smogon, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, Tumblr. PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

The VS Seeker is in the game!
    Although it's found post-game...

EDIT: It was actually the VS Recorder. Meh.

.: So, what's next? | Edit by me, do not steal. :.
    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.

I am surprised that GameFreak is still doing ability retcons even after the Mega Evolutions. I mean, obviously the ones that get new abilities won't get Mega Evolutions, but still this is very nice. I hope the amount is at least only 10 or so less than 89 something retcons D/P did.

Would that explain the last gym leader using ice Pokemon? He might use this new battle to gain advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by pikadon92 View Post
    Would that explain the last gym leader using ice Pokemon? He might use this new battle to gain advantage.
    Serebii stated that you only encounter this battle with a single Psychic NPC. Gym Leaders go by the standard rules.

False alarm! It was the VS Recorder.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

ah rats. The VS Recorder.
    I am the Master of Arcanine and Boy do I love this Big Dog

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

50% of Serebii users are relapsing pokemon fans...if you are among those that never got off the band wagon...copy and paste this in your sig (started by CyberBlastoise).

Hoenn here we Come! 17 hrs to go
    3ds friend code: 3265-5471-9696.

Just got my game.
    Disappointingly, you can only select the language of the game once, and need to completely restart if you want to change the language.

Not sure if this is the right place to discuss.

Is this the first Pokémon game that we could see DLC experimented with?

Quote Originally Posted by iKarlCPFC View Post

No paid DLC will be made, and no rebalancing will be made either. Masuda confirmed all of these. It is likely that we won't see any additional region patches as they decided to not have a key system because they believed that they have managed to balance the game well. Besides those, we have no clue what they will do aside from events.

No paid DLC will be made, and no rebalancing will be made either. Masuda confirmed all of these. It is likely that we won't see any additional region patches as they decided to not have a key system because they believed that they have managed to balance the game well. Besides those, we have no clue what they will do aside from events.
    Fair enough. I didn't really think DLC is the Pokémon way.

I hope they balance out the special events as well. Japan/America get much more than Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by iKarlCPFC View Post

Potentially, however it's already been confirmed that there wont be any game-changing DLC. Masuda has said as much.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Do we know if there will be Pokemon that aren't catchable in XY (missing Pokemon in the regional Dex, maybe even starters and legendaries) which will appear in the Friend Safari?

The great and powerful abilities: Drizzle, Drought, and Snow warning have been nerfed? Do thine eyes deceive me?
    Though 5 turns is still not really a nerf, but it not lasting forever is a great change ^.^
    ~Credit to:Sworn Metalhead for the banner~

Quote Originally Posted by ColtonL View Post
    The great and powerful abilities: Drizzle, Drought, and Snow warning have been nerfed? Do thine eyes deceive me?
    Though 5 turns is still not really a nerf, but it not lasting forever is a great change ^.^
    Yup, they've been nerfed. Honestly, I don't like that change, weather effects were good in the battle subway and such =/

Credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner

5 turns is still plenty of time, really. You could always switch out and switch them back in.

Dat weather nerf. Very much needed.

Using the Ability Capsule (item) and Trick (move) in combination could theoretically allow you to switch your abilities mid battle!
    Can anybody think of a pokemon who would benefit by switching abilities mid-battle?

On the flip side, who would suffer from a changed ability?
    I know switching toxic orb Gliscor or Brelooms ability would wreck their whole strategy.

(I posted these on the X and Y discussion, but I think they are more appropriate here.)

Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast