Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Pokémon Thread v2

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio66 View Post
    In terms of both New general Pokemon and New legendaries X and Y are a HUGE dissappointment. I cant help but feel they really phoned it through on this one. I was worried this might happen due to them making all the character models 3ds that they would get lazy with the new pokemon. I mean a keychain as a pokemon, and most of the pokemon look utter crap like carbink and bergemite, theres like 6-7 of them that all look very similar, very small design, no real detail, what happened to the huge lavishly designed pokemon? As a huge fan and an utter obssessive when its come to X and Y I feel really meh with the new Kalos pokedex. This gens pokemon are deffinitely the worst of all the gens! Also I feel meh about the Torchic event pokemon, wat happened to getting an exciting new even pokemon ala victini and Genosect in gen 5!
    If you give me individual, good reasons for why each pokemon in this Generation sucks, and not using blanket design flaws, if each one makes sense I will officially say this Gen is worse than 1. I will snap my copy of Y in half when I get it because it will suck so much because GF couldn't make enough pokemon for you when they had to redo everything in 2 years.
    Everyone needs a little less signature in their lives

Why put back the 1st gen trio, what is their storyline and relevance in this new generation?

I think the term "legendary" lost its meaning once they started to put 12-15 legendaries in the games.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

Quote Originally Posted by Espeonite View Post
    what is their storyline and relevance in this new generation?
    What story line and relevance did they have in Generation I?

Quote Originally Posted by ebevan91 View Post
    I think the term "legendary" lost its meaning once they started to put 12-15 legendaries in the games.
    It never had a designated meaning beyond certain statistical trends and a title assigned to the critters by the people who made them.

To any appreciable, consistant and/or official degree, it never meant "deep and detailed back story", it never meant "only a certain number of them", it never meant anything like that. Those are descriptions people like to apply to them arbitrarily and then complain when they're brushed aside just as arbitrarily.

The term never had a significant meaning able to be lost, and certainly not lost in the face of greater numbers.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Legendary (adj): "Of, described in, or based on legends."

Seeing as how, unlike the Legendary Pokémon of the first few Gens, the later Legendary Pokémon actually were described in myths, I would say that the term actually lived up to its meaning once they started adding in 14 per Gen. Before then, "Legendary" Pokémon were really just "fairly more powerful than other Pokémon" Pokémon.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Agreed with this. Ever since Hoenn, it seems.
    I'm glad they're somewhat restoring the meaning this generation.

Is it just me or is Xerneas way better than Yveltal stats wise?

Quote Originally Posted by BNator92 View Post
    Agreed with this. Ever since Hoenn, it seems. I'm glad they're somewhat restoring the meaning this generation.
    The meaning was to be very rare, or strong; not at all really legendary, and that worked when there was only five in generation I. And it worked pretty well in generation II were Kanto legends were in Kanto and Johto legends in Johto. Now, it doesn't work at all, but with bank and the birds being available, it doesn't really "restore" it. Wish it did, though, but its not like [the hypothetical] generations VII and VIII won't have more legends, and even if they only introduced three in all the gens, by the time VIII rolls along we'd still have 24; we can't escape to many legendaries...
    wow, the inconsistency is real. y'all should message me

Quote Originally Posted by Monek_OP View Post
    The meaning was to be very rare, or strong; not at all really legendary, and that worked when there was only five in generation I.
    No, actually, as BCVM22 said, the term never had a specific meaning. Formally speaking, though, Legendary Pokémon weren't actually "legendary" until they started becoming the central figures of myths and legends.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

I'm not getting these big fails, but has any one else heard the claiming of a " LAVADOS "? It might be a mega evolution of moltress but the ending ados reminds me of gyarados, not sure if its even real. Anyway it surely seems like a legendary
    [CENTER]
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/2e6fo5d.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.*******.com/1zb9cvd.jpg[/IMG]

I AM A SHINY POKEMON HUNTER! I DO NOT CARE ABOUT IV'S AND EV'S, INFACT NEVER GIVE ME A POKEMON WITH THAT UNLESS I WANT IT
    Black 2 pokemon name: pokemon
    Friend code:2366-7219-1441
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/vrc7qq.gif[/IMG]
    I AM LOOKING FOR A CLONING SERVICE AND A SHINY GENESECT

Quote Originally Posted by Raasikh22 View Post
    I'm not getting these big fails, but has any one else heard the claiming of a " LAVADOS "? It might be a mega evolution of moltress but the ending ados reminds me of gyarados, not sure if its even real. Anyway it surely seems like a legendary
    Well . . .
    Moltres would be Lavados. . .
    Just so you know.
    PERFECTE MENOSVS • PERFECTE IMPERFECTVS
    I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.
    Want to battle? Feel free to PM me.
    FC: 1736 1029 6838
    Chilling in the City of Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    No, actually, as BCVM22 said, the term never had a specific meaning. Formally speaking, though, Legendary Pokémon weren't actually "legendary" until they started becoming the central figures of myths and legends.
    That's what I meant by saying 'not at all really legendary'

That's what I meant by saying 'not at all really legendary'
    Yes, but there was no real alternative meaning to go by either.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

I'm glad this gen did not include tons of legendary Pokémon! It was one my main hopes and it's refreshing to see them going back to the old "few legendaries" formula.

Quote Originally Posted by Raasikh22 View Post
    Lavados is Moltres' German name. Megas keep their name and have a prepended "Mega."
    Richie | 4597 0550 9417 | Nosepass, Onix, Rhydon

Yes, but there was no real alternative meaning to go by either.
    Which brings me back to my original characteristics of legendaries, or at least characteristics that all the legendary Pokmon (in generation I) had in common: rare and strong.

I think this describes and puts better into words what it was I was thinking too. :B

I'd define them as generally being 'rare' and not being obtainable by normal means, or breeding. Sure I'd put Groudon and Entei in different categories being that one is minor and the other roams.
    Then too with Pokemon as a whole, 'power' can allude to them being 'powerful' whether it be defensively or offensively.

You'd kind of have to grow up with the first generation to get the full understanding of legendaries and their rarity.

You'd kind of have to grow up with the first generation to get the full understanding of legendaries and their rarity.
    I don't know if you're trying to say that anyone who points out the error in the sentiment didn't "grow up with the first generation" or if you're saying that anyone who points out the error in the sentiment is missing some grand concept, but either one borders on the ridiculous.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Which brings me back to my original characteristics of legendaries, or at least characteristics that all the legendary Pokmon (in generation I) had in common: rare and strong.
    And yet, even the Legendary Pokémon in Gens IV and V were both rare and (if only narratively, in some cases, but then, Moltres sucks competitively too) strong. Their "rarity" was never determined by the total amount of Legendary species there were, but rather, by their "one-per-save file" nature.

Regardless, just because Legendary Pokémon in Gen I shared a trait or two doesn't not mean that all subsequent Legendary Pokémon must share that trait. That is the kind of logic that leads to stagnation, because if ideas must fit into a certain mold, they become limited in the ways that they can change and develop and be unique.

I can't tell who you're talking to, but for the sake of confirmation, I did. And I understand that "legendary" is essentially just a label.
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
    Is it just me or is Xerneas way better than Yveltal stats wise?
    Where are the stats of the legendaries? I've seen Yveltals (about 130 HP, 135 in ATK & SPATK, 100 DEF, and 100SPD right?) but I haven't seen Zygarde's or Xerneas' stats
    current Champion of Kalos (just like pretty much everyone else here)

Proud writer for: http://expsharepodcast.com/
    --> check out the EXP.Share Rivalry Challenge to see a way to compete against one of your friends in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Claimed: The volcano camel itself

When in doubt: Gotta Catch'em All!

since there is no legendary trio for kalos, do you think the bird trio will get mega forms? im really disappointed that we didn't get a fairy trio or something! kinda sucks... but if older trio pkmn are getting mega forms then i'll be happy ^_^

Er, how? From what I've read up, they were indeed a little *sometimes plenty* more difficult to access even in-game and trading itself was problematic.
    I still kind of fail to see how playing the first game versus others somehow skew my perspective on legendaries. :I

Quote Originally Posted by Umbreon2112 View Post
    since there is no legendary trio for kalos, do you think the bird trio will get mega forms? im really disappointed that we didn't get a fairy trio or something! kinda sucks... but if older trio pkmn are getting mega forms then i'll be happy ^_^
    Just having an Ability change or something would be nice, honestly.
    Last edited by Rio!; 11th October 2013 at 2:21 AM.

Regardless, just because Legendary Pokémon in Gen I shared a trait or two doesn't not mean that all subsequent Legendary Pokémon must share that trait. That is the kind of logic that leads to stagnation, because if ideas must fit into a certain mold, they become limited in the ways that they can change and develop and be unique.
    I was only using the generation I legendaries as an example because they weren't central in myths or legends like the other legendaries are. And I agree, however, I think that Pokemon did set a mold of what the game was supposed to be like, but not necessarily on legendaries and such as much as gameplay in general.
    Last edited by Monek_OP; 11th October 2013 at 2:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio! View Post
    Just having an Ability change or something would be nice, honestly.
    that would be awesome now that you mention it

Quote Originally Posted by Umbreon2112 View Post
    that would be awesome now that you mention it
    I like the idea that was mentioned on the earlier Legendary board;

Articuno- Snow Warning
    Moltres- Drought
    Zapdos- Drizzle

Speaking of, I never understood why it is Zapdos is the only one of the trio not to get Hurricane, lul.

Page 3 of 107 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast