Page 95 of 107 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 2655

Thread: Legendary Pokémon Thread v2

  1. #2351

    Default

    "Unnecessary" as Legendaries go is the textbook definition of subjective. Aside from the titular Legendaries, what makes any of the rest necessary or unnecessary?


    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  2. #2352
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    "Unnecessary" as Legendaries go is the textbook definition of subjective. Aside from the titular Legendaries, what makes any of the rest necessary or unnecessary?
    Exactly, I'd characterize the Lake Trio as "Unnecessary" before the Lunar duo.
    Friend Code: 4597-0393-3118
    Pokémon in My Safari:
    PM me first before adding!

  3. #2353
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Re-exploring Hoenn
    Posts
    6,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    "Unnecessary" as Legendaries go is the textbook definition of subjective. Aside from the titular Legendaries, what makes any of the rest necessary or unnecessary?
    I dunno if unnecessary is indeed the correct term. Perhaps "unneeded" or "shouldn't have been made to begin with"? But yes, it is subjective.

    I just think that legendaries that actually play an important role in the region's mythology should be on the Dex. Lati@s for example. Movie aside, what is their connection to Hoenn? The games never bothered to explain the legend behind them. Manaphy and Phione, spin-off and movie aside, what is their role in the game?

    .: So, what's next? | Edit by me, do not steal. :.
    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.


  4. #2354
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wulava View Post
    I dunno if unnecessary is indeed the correct term. Perhaps "unneeded" or "shouldn't have been made to begin with"?
    I feel like those mean mostly the same thing... I wouldn't mind some of the legendary extras if they were given some context. I love Latios, actually, but I agree that it completely comes out of left field. Besides being a unique type, it contributed nothing to Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald. Now, if they re-make R/S/E and they give Latios and Latias a bit of story, that changes things. I love when the "event items" unlock some story related to the legend you get to capture. I wish they would use that more often than they do - and make the side-story a bit longer.

    Six Generations / One Team
        Spoiler:- My Shinies:

  5. #2355
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wulava View Post
    I dunno if unnecessary is indeed the correct term. Perhaps "unneeded" or "shouldn't have been made to begin with"? But yes, it is subjective.

    I just think that legendaries that actually play an important role in the region's mythology should be on the Dex. Lati@s for example. Movie aside, what is their connection to Hoenn? The games never bothered to explain the legend behind them. Manaphy and Phione, spin-off and movie aside, what is their role in the game?
    I can't say I agree with that. Not every legend has to be completely tied to the region it's in, for instance you can have a mythological creature that's not distinctly tied to Greece or Egypt in their respective mythologies but they aren't necessarily irrelevant, just not connected specifically to that region. What matters is their roles in the stories they play a part in, and personally I feel we have many more great examples of that in those like the Regis and the Lunar Duo then we do have negative examples like Phione.

    So personally I don't think quantity is necessarily a negative, quality can be maintained despite the number, it's just a matter of the execution regardless of how many you have.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 12th March 2014 at 4:22 AM.


    It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

  6. #2356
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline_3 View Post
    Why are there very little Legendaries in X & Y? In comparison the Sinnoh region had about 13 if I'm not mistaken. Why? What are your thoughts on this?

    Also, why isn't Diancie in the Legendary Pokemon page for the X & Y games?

    Maybe if someone hacked the game's code we'd find information on soon to be revealed Legendaries? IDK.
    You do realize that Kalos had a smaller number of overall pokemon right so it would make sense that we wouldn't have as much legendaries as previous generations.
    I AM THE "COOLEST" TENTACOOL

  7. #2357
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crystalline_3 View Post
    Why are there very little Legendaries in X & Y? In comparison the Sinnoh region had about 13 if I'm not mistaken. Why? What are your thoughts on this?
    Probably because a lot of people complained about the amount of Legendary Pokémon in Gens IV and V, and so Game Freak listened to the criticism.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type


    My 3DS Friend Code:

    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  8. #2358
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    They really should have saved the Swords of Justice for Kalos. I mean The Three Musketeers were French anyways!
    Friend Code: 4597-0393-3118
    Pokémon in My Safari:
    PM me first before adding!

  9. #2359
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexin' Wishes View Post
    They really should have saved the Swords of Justice for Kalos. I mean The Three Musketeers were French anyways!
    Part of me agrees, if only to balance the "scale" of distribution between the two Gens, but then the other part of me likes the "melting pot" theme that they used for Unova's Legendary Pokémon; particularly in regards to how they synced it to the Starters' respective motifs (Snivy/the Swords are French, Tepig/the Dragons are Chinese, and Oshawott/the Kami are Japanese).
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type


    My 3DS Friend Code:

    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  10. #2360
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Part of me agrees, if only to balance the "scale" of distribution between the two Gens, but then the other part of me likes the "melting pot" theme that they used for Unova's Legendary Pokémon; particularly in regards to how they synced it to the Starters' respective motifs (Snivy/the Swords are French, Tepig/the Dragons are Chinese, and Oshawott/the Kami are Japanese).
    I didn't even realize the starters were biracial. You learn something new everyday!
    Friend Code: 4597-0393-3118
    Pokémon in My Safari:
    PM me first before adding!

  11. #2361
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home I'll never know
    Posts
    9,903

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Probably because a lot of people complained about the amount of Legendary Pokémon in Gens IV and V, and so Game Freak listened to the criticism.
    What if GameFreak intentionally held back on the number because they thought they wouldn't be able to execute more legendaries properly?

    Eh, Taodragon?

  12. #2362
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Or maybe they had no real ideas for more legendaries this time around and felt they didn't need to think of any more considering, you know, 3D?
    Friend Code: 4597-0393-3118
    Pokémon in My Safari:
    PM me first before adding!

  13. #2363
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    What if GameFreak intentionally held back on the number because they thought they wouldn't be able to execute more legendaries properly?

    Eh, Taodragon?
    I suppose that would depend on what constitutes a "good execution," which so far seems to be "jacked up stats + dolled-up location + relevant NPC dialogue."
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type


    My 3DS Friend Code:

    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  14. #2364
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    What if GameFreak intentionally held back on the number because they thought they wouldn't be able to execute more legendaries properly?

    Eh, Taodragon?
    In which case that's ironic as I felt the Mortality Duo (Trio) was pretty poorly executed, especially compared to other mascots.


    It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

  15. #2365
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    In which case that's ironic as I felt the Mortality Duo (Trio) was pretty poorly executed, especially compared to other mascots.
    I love the way the shade was effortlessly deflected.

    To piggy back off of this, the Tao Trio were actually relevant to the region as well as the story, what do the Mortality Trio have? A cameo as a battery for a weapon and some lame explanation for the mega stones? No thanks.
    Friend Code: 4597-0393-3118
    Pokémon in My Safari:
    PM me first before adding!

  16. #2366
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Surrounded by 10,000 lakes
    Posts
    1,246

    Default

    Hoopa reminds me of Mister Mxyzptlk from the Superman comics.

    I wonder if it will have anything to do with Palkia/Dialga/Giratina seeing how it's from another dimension and it travels faster than the speed of light/it defies the laws of time and space. It probably won't but it would make sense of it did.

  17. #2367
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexin' Wishes View Post
    I love the way the shade was effortlessly deflected.

    To piggy back off of this, the Tao Trio were actually relevant to the region as well as the story, what do the Mortality Trio have? A cameo as a battery for a weapon and some lame explanation for the mega stones? No thanks.
    That and the story about their thousand-year life cycle and their appearance 800 years prior, at which time they spread/sapped life energy throughout the region before taking to the forest/mountains to rest in their tree/cocoon form, which is the state that they were in when Team Flare located them (thereby tying the Legendary mascots' backstories and the progression of events in the active story together).

    It was also suggested that they took some part in the war from 3000 years ago, but that was likely, as the man in Anistar considered, just an example of humans using Legendary Pokémon to rationalize real-world events, because we have strong evidence to support the idea that Xerneas/Yveltal were busy being used to charge AZ's weapon at that time.

    As for Zygarde, he's waiting in a cave until they decide to give him his obligatory cover game and power boost.
    Last edited by Endolise; 12th March 2014 at 8:20 AM.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type


    My 3DS Friend Code:

    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  18. #2368
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    That and the story about their thousand-year life cycle and their appearance 800 years prior, at which time they spread/sapped life energy throughout the region before taking to the forest/mountains to rest in their tree/cocoon form, which is the state that they were in when Team Flare located them (thereby tying the Legendary mascots' backstories and the progression of events in the active story together).
    That story that was told like once and never unfolded the way the Tao Trio (I'm talking more about the Tao Duo though when it became a Trio it effortlessly and obviously did it well, which I don't expect Zygarde to be able to without seeming like a stretch) did?

    Also, I don't recall the opposite box legendary mattering much (if at all) for the story so it's more like the Mortality Solo.
    Friend Code: 4597-0393-3118
    Pokémon in My Safari:
    PM me first before adding!

  19. #2369
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexin' Wishes View Post
    That story that was told like once and never unfolded the way the Tao Trio (I'm talking more about the Tao Duo though when it became a Trio it effortlessly and obviously did it well, which I don't expect Zygarde to be able to without seeming like a stretch) did?

    Also, I don't recall the opposite box legendary mattering much (if at all) for the story so it's more like the Mortality Solo.
    I'm not denying that it wasn't brought up a lot (although it is required that you listen to it in order to progress the game, I think). I'm just saying that it exists and that it serves a purpose.

    That's true. The opposite-version mascot does exist in either game, but aside from a vague, indirect mention or two, they aren't ever heard from.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type


    My 3DS Friend Code:

    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  20. #2370
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Re-exploring Hoenn
    Posts
    6,157

    Default

    Alright, so I tried taking a deeper look on our legendaries (only based on the game's mythologies):

        Spoiler:


    So that's my opinion on the matter.

    .: So, what's next? | Edit by me, do not steal. :.
    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.


  21. #2371
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Under a box with my Chimchar
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Wulava, I think I know what purpose the legendary golem trio server.
    If anyone remembers the episode in Sinnoh where there are the "Three Guardian Pillars"
    I think that Regice, Regirock, and Registeel are made to "guard" Regigigas
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Edit: Nevermind, I forgot it was Game-based. my bad.
    Last edited by Goldenblaze; 12th March 2014 at 5:24 PM. Reason: Misreading

  22. #2372
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenblaze View Post
    Wulava, I think I know what purpose the legendary golem trio server.
    If anyone remembers the episode in Sinnoh where there are the "Three Guardian Pillars"
    I think that Regice, Regirock, and Registeel are made to "guard" Regigigas
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    Edit: Nevermind, I forgot it was Game-based. my bad.
    It's probably not too far off though. The braille in the Sealed Chamber implies that they sealed Regigigas away in fear of its power and then state that whoever's worthy should open the door. Considering the chamber opens the way to the trio rather then itself, they're probably meant to serve as keys to it chamber, and considering that you have to battle and catch them, they're probably also meant to test those who want to catch it.

    So while it's not directly stated, it's implied that they do guard it in a sense.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 12th March 2014 at 5:45 PM.


    It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

  23. #2373
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wulava View Post
    Xerneas, Yveltal. Embodiment of Life and Destruction respectively. We know that Xerneas releases all its life energy while Yveltal steals all the life energy around it before they sleep for 1000 years. But they really didn't have any clear participation on Kalos' history... because they were busy sleeping, until Flare showed up and finally gave them some purpose -- to use them as batteries, like what Hexin' said.
    Except for their documented appearance 800 years prior when they spread/sapped life energy through the region and took to their sleep, which gives them the same net level of involvement in the region's history as Reshiram and Zekrom, who appeared from the Original Dragon, fought in a war, and then turned into stones. The only real difference is that the impact of what Xerneas/Yveltal did wasn't really explored, which is actually kind of strange because you would think that when people all over the region start feeling tingly/dropping dead for no discernible reason, there would be some confusion.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type


    My 3DS Friend Code:

    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  24. #2374
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    312

    Default

    You know, seeing them all laid out like that made a lot of them seem kinda lame. :P

    I do get the impression from some of the legends that tend to lack explanation (Articuno, Zapdos, Moltes, Latios, Latias, etc.) that they are really meant as "rare" Pokemon, whereas the ones with fleshed out stories are the Legendaries where there is only 1 or at least a finite number of them. This is reinforced with the number of times those particular ones appear in the games. There are legendary birds in Kanto, Sinnoh, and Kalos. Latios and Latias were in Hoenn and Unova. There are other legendaries that repeat, obviously, but these ones stand out because they tend to "randomly" appear in the wild instead of staying in a dedicated location. Similar to regular Pokemon, they appear in the tall grass... at least more often. It kinda even works for Manaphy. The only time we've been able to get one is because an "egg washed ashore" in Ranger. Sure, it was a gimmick to sell games, but how often are people deep enough in the right water to encounter a Manaphy naturally? There could be thousands of them down there... laughing at us.

    The birds are supposedly tied to weather. Moreso in the Anime, but it's also referenced in the Pokedexes on and off.
    Last edited by PearlDex; 12th March 2014 at 9:21 PM.

    Six Generations / One Team
        Spoiler:- My Shinies:

  25. #2375
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    Except for their documented appearance 800 years prior when they spread/sapped life energy through the region and took to their sleep, which gives them the same net level of involvement in the region's history as Reshiram and Zekrom, who appeared from the Original Dragon, fought in a war, and then turned into stones. The only real difference is that the impact of what Xerneas/Yveltal did wasn't really explored, which is actually kind of strange because you would think that when people all over the region start feeling tingly/dropping dead for no discernible reason, there would be some confusion.
    I think that's the major problem with them: They don't really leave an impact on the region or the characters. With the Tao Duo, they had a major influence on the region, story and the mythology and are pretty well explored along with getting their own special area in Dragonspiral Tower. The Spacetime Duo also had an extensive mythology along with murals, statues and a special area with Spear Pillar and played a role in the main story as well, even Ho-oh had its Tin Tower and is talked about in good detail due to its relationship with the Burned Tower and Legendary Beasts.

    The Mortality Duo don't really have that, they don't really get into detail about them, there's no place of respect for them, their relevance to the story almost comes out of nowhere as they're just said to have been dragged from the forest/mountains for the machine with little explanation and even considering their connections to the machine and Mega Stones the relationship's rather vague. Essentially, they lack what made the mascots of the previous games so notable, they don't really have a presence in the region or the story.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 12th March 2014 at 9:41 PM.


    It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

Page 95 of 107 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •