Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 781

Thread: General Characters/Storyline Thread

  1. #276
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    I agree with the people saying that Tierno, Trevor and Shauna were pretty pointless (and annoying) characters. I think Tierno is probably the biggest offender of this. Whereas I kind of liked having a Pokedex rival and I somewhat enjoyed Shauna's role as a Bianca-esque character, Tierno was the one that was really just... there. His whole dancing thing felt incredibly tacked on too, considering it was basically just used as some filler dialogue. I don't think that the whole group of friends vibe would really have suffered if he wasn't there.

    I'll admit that Serena got better over time though. She was pretty bland throughout, but after she actually started battling you I grew to like her a little more. I'm really happy that she at least had a diverse team too (and this goes for the other three as well) because Hugh and Cheren had pretty awful teams.
    I never found Tierno (or the others) to be annoying. Yeah, they really didn't go into much depth about his thing for dancing, but annoying isn't how I'd describe it. It's just kinda...out there.

    I do like Serena, though. She developed into an actual character, perhaps at the expense of the others since most of the battling was against her. Still, I preferred that to having to battle both Cheren and Bianca in such a close period each time. As far as the team is concerned, I realize she's the first rival who uses a Pokemon that's not in the regional dex for her main team, when she adds that Clefable (Blue in FR/LG exists too, but I think that could be a special case). It's really a nice team, and it reminds me of Wally, in a vague way. Must be that Altaria. Or the fact that it seems to fit Serena better than Calem.

    On a side note, I don't think Cheren's final team was that bad. Or Hugh's. Just that sharing Unfezant and the monkey made them look bad. The rest of their teams are great, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSceptile View Post
    One thing about the Looker missions, when you meet Malva of the E4 in the hotel, she mentions Team Flare's plan and she even knows the password to the hidden floor of Lysandre Labs. What is her connection to Team Flare? Did she used to be a member? Beacause you never see her in the main story outside of the League. Then, if you go to the League after you complete the Looker quest before battling you she says she has a "burning hatred" for you. This all confuses me. Can anybody shed some light on Malva and Team Flare?
        Spoiler:- ...:
    Last edited by Psynergy; 25th October 2013 at 10:56 PM.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Regirock



  2. #277
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSceptile View Post
    One thing about the Looker missions, when you meet Malva of the E4 in the hotel, she mentions Team Flare's plan and she even knows the password to the hidden floor of Lysandre Labs. What is her connection to Team Flare? Did she used to be a member? Beacause you never see her in the main story outside of the League. Then, if you go to the League after you complete the Looker quest before battling you she says she has a "burning hatred" for you. This all confuses me. Can anybody shed some light on Malva and Team Flare?
        Spoiler:- :
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type


    My 3DS Friend Code:

    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  3. #278
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
        Spoiler:- :
    Ah okay. That makes sense that she would be the member of the team that developed the item with which she broadcasts the news. Thanks.


  4. #279
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mossdeep City, Hoenn
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I loved the Looker post game play I wish it didn't end so quick! X/Y are some of the best Pokemon games yet! But I kind of felt the game lacking in a lot of areas.

    Things I hope for in a third version or sequel:
    -Better rival, Serena was horrible imo. She wasn't a real challenge until after post game, even then I still took her out with like one or two Pokemon.     Spoiler:- :

    -    Spoiler:- :

    -Some more new Pokemon would be nice, I mean it seems like tried compensating for the lack of new Pokemon by doing mega forms.
    -Stronger Gym Leaders, or at least make them more strategic. They were way to weak this gen. More interaction would have been good. Like how in Gen 5 almost all gym leaders came in to help at N's Castle.
    -Stronger Elite Four, I thought they were going to be tough but it was like a walk in the park easy.
    -More Champion interaction, I liked how the past champs had more of a presence and impact in the past games. I feel like she had potential but it was kinda wasted. Felt like as if she was just a regular gym leader.
    -More post game stuff! I loved the Looker chapters but it was over before I knew it.
    -One last little thing! It would have been awesome if the did a black key white key setting like in Gen 5.

    That's all I had to say, I know I should be such a complainer or something like that it's just to me it felt like they left out so much. I actually would rather play gen 5 now because of all the post game stuff!
    Last edited by Eternalhero; 25th October 2013 at 11:23 PM.
    Pkmn White 1 Alice Fc: 3483-0023-1427
    Pkmn White 2 Steven Fc: 4127-2818-9510
    + = Currently MMing for a shiny feebas, 68 eggs hatched so far. Wish me luck!

  5. #280
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lysandre's bed.
    Posts
    47,715

    Default

    Ugh, I've only just gotten to Lumiose City and I'm already tired of Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor popping up everywhere. I swear it seems like they appear every time I take a dozen steps. I hope this only happens during the early stages of the game and not too frequently later on because it's just annoying.

  6. #281
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSceptile View Post
    One thing about the Looker missions, when you meet Malva of the E4 in the hotel, she mentions Team Flare's plan and she even knows the password to the hidden floor of Lysandre Labs. What is her connection to Team Flare? Did she used to be a member? Beacause you never see her in the main story outside of the League. Then, if you go to the League after you complete the Looker quest before battling you she says she has a "burning hatred" for you. This all confuses me. Can anybody shed some light on Malva and Team Flare?
    Interesting, I always assumed her "hatred" was just fighting talk. I didn't realise that there could have been a deeper connection.


    3DS friend code: 1478-4001-3509

    I would love to link up with people!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    It's a whole new world we live in,
    It's a whole new way to see,
    It's a whole new place,
    With a brand new attitude
    But you still gotta catch 'em all
    And be the best that you can be!

  7. #282
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eternalhero View Post
    I loved the Looker post game play I wish it didn't end so quick! X/Y are some of the best Pokemon games yet! But I kind of felt the game lacking in a lot of areas.

    Things I hope for in a third version or sequel:
    -Better rival, Serena was horrible imo. She wasn't a real challenge until after post game, even then I still took her out with like one or two Pokemon.
    -Some more new Pokemon would be nice, I mean it seems like tried compensating for the lack of new Pokemon by doing mega forms.
    -Stronger Gym Leaders, or at least make them more strategic. They were way to weak this gen. More interaction would have been good. Like how in Gen 5 almost all gym leaders came in to help at N's Castle.
    -Stronger Elite Four, I thought they were going to be tough but it was like a walk in the park easy.
    -More Champion interaction, I liked how the past champs had more of a presence and impact in the past games. I feel like she had potential but it was kinda wasted. Felt like as if she was just a regular gym leader.
    -More post game stuff! I loved the Looker chapters but it was over before I knew it.
    -One last little thing! It would have been awesome if the did a black key white key setting like in Gen 5.

    That's all I had to say, I know I should be such a complainer or something like that it's just to me it felt like they left out so much. I actually would rather play gen 5 now because of all the post game stuff!
    Seems like we're all holding out for Z to fix all problems in X/Y. While I do agree with every one of your points, and I don't mean to be a downer, but it's unlikely all problems will be solved. I hope we at least get more content, both before and after the credits roll.

    I really enjoyed the Looker Bureau missions, but it was over way too quickly. I hope it's expanded on in the third version. I loved how it felt like a whole crime drama type thing. XD


  8. #283
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dragon Roost Island
    Posts
    5,134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    I never found Tierno (or the others) to be annoying. Yeah, they really didn't go into much depth about his thing for dancing, but annoying isn't how I'd describe it. It's just kinda...out there.
    I dunno, I just found his personality in general to be kind of irritating. The group as a whole was also a little cheesy for my liking but I guess that's to be expected in a Pokemon game.

    On a side note, I don't think Cheren's final team was that bad. Or Hugh's. Just that sharing Unfezant and the monkey made them look bad. The rest of their teams are great, though.
    His final team was ok, but his pre-E4 team was really disappointing in my opinion. A monkey (which he shared with... every trainer in Unova :u), the regional bird and Liepard were all underwhelming choices. Hugh at least had Boufallant, but he didn't obtain it until Victory Road and her shared his other two non-starters with Cheren.

  9. #284
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    I dunno, I just found his personality in general to be kind of irritating. The group as a whole was also a little cheesy for my liking but I guess that's to be expected in a Pokemon game.
    Cheesy would be how I'd describe it. I guess he just doesn't irritate me, though I can't deny that it's kinda cheesy, especially since there isn't anything like a dancing-style minigame to make it relevant.

    His final team was ok, but his pre-E4 team was really disappointing in my opinion. A monkey (which he shared with... every trainer in Unova :u), the regional bird and Liepard were all underwhelming choices. Hugh at least had Boufallant, but he didn't obtain it until Victory Road and her shared his other two non-starters with Cheren.
    If we're strictly talking about his pre-E4 team, then...yeah. If they got their post-game team members earlier, I'd have no complaints, since those choices definitely redeem the overall team. Though I know that's a problem with the game overall, not just specifically Cheren and Hugh.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Regirock



  10. #285
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zamin View Post
    Interesting, I always assumed her "hatred" was just fighting talk. I didn't realise that there could have been a deeper connection.
    If you visit her at the E4, she even goes as far as to call you a runt. She seemed pretty cool first time round, but now she's all Flared up (pun intentional).
    You rock, and you rule!

    Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do anything. Truth is, you can do anything.

    Aim for the top, and be...a Pokémon master!!!
    __________________________________________________ _____
    Pokémon X team:
    - Froakie
    - Torchic
    - Bulbasaur
    -?????
    -?????
    -?????

  11. #286
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrosharp_98 View Post
    If you visit her at the E4, she even goes as far as to call you a runt. She seemed pretty cool first time round, but now she's all Flared up (pun intentional).
    Yeah, it all makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. At least her connection to Team Flare was less obvious than Lysandre. T_T Literally, the moment I saw him I thought "Team Flare boss, right there!" Just look at him!
        Spoiler:- LOOK AT HIM!:


  12. #287
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSceptile View Post
    Yeah, it all makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. At least her connection to Team Flare was less obvious than Lysandre. T_T Literally, the moment I saw him I thought "Team Flare boss, right there!" Just look at him!
        Spoiler:- LOOK AT HIM!:
    Her connection is fairly obvious. She's the news reader on the Holo Caster, a device that is made by Lysandre Labs.

  13. #288
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Adamus View Post
    Her connection is fairly obvious. She's the news reader on the Holo Caster, a device that is made by Lysandre Labs.
    Ehh . . . I guess I never thought of it that way. ^^; My question is, why do we not see her in the main Team Flare plot as an active member? It must have been her job then to just sit around and do the news. But how does that help build a beautiful world?


  14. #289
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSceptile View Post
    Ehh . . . I guess I never thought of it that way. ^^; My question is, why do we not see her in the main Team Flare plot as an active member? It must have been her job then to just sit around and do the news. But how does that help build a beautiful world?
    I guess as a newscaster she's kind of a public face and getting involved in Team Flare business before the 'reveal' would be bad for the company image - she was probably acting behind the scenes.

  15. #290
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Back of Bills house
    Posts
    2,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Adamus View Post
    Her connection is fairly obvious. She's the news reader on the Holo Caster, a device that is made by Lysandre Labs.
    Not really, seeming Malva wasn't known during the story. Also, was it ever stated that she was the Holo Caster woman? It's probably just me but I never clocked on that they were the same person (Just because they have the same hairstyle doesn't make them the same person - unless it's stated.) It's kind of silly for them to put someone as famous as an Elite Four member as the newscaster, although of course no one knew that the Holo Caster was made by an evil organisation.

    I agree - Lysandre was obviously a Team Flare member. There was a moment when I thought maybe AZ was the leader, but really it was obvious. He should of really had a 'disguise' of sorts in public.


    POKÉMON OMEGA RUBY & APLHA SAPPHIRE
    |
    MEGA EVOLUTION | 0301-9985-7534 | SAM
    Y FRIEND SAFARI: WATER WITH OCTILLERY, WARTORTLE AND AZUMARILL

  16. #291
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,466

    Default

    To be fair, though, the leaders are rarely a huge surprise. Yeah, Lysandre's hair made it pretty obvious, but being a suspicious or mysterious character almost instantly means they're affiliated with the villainous team in some way. Cyrus, Colress, even N to a degree. None of those were really a huge surprise, or at least I didn't think so.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Regirock



  17. #292

    Default

    Only way you could ever see Malva is by going to the Holo Caster option in your menu for real life updates.

    Wait, the Holo Caster is tied to the real world...

    *Le gasp*

    TEAM FLARE SPIES ON US!

  18. #293
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Back of Bills house
    Posts
    2,632

    Default

    Yeah, they've never made a big surprise for the Leaders, which is a shame really. Although I don't think anyone could be sure who of Ghetsis and N was the true leader of BW and the same really for B2W2 (Seeming technically Ghetsis was still the Leader of Team Plasma in B2W2, although Colress was known as the Leader).

    Like I said, at least this time they didn't go and promote Lysandre before the games release, whereas they did for both/all Leaders last generation.


    POKÉMON OMEGA RUBY & APLHA SAPPHIRE
    |
    MEGA EVOLUTION | 0301-9985-7534 | SAM
    Y FRIEND SAFARI: WATER WITH OCTILLERY, WARTORTLE AND AZUMARILL

  19. #294
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Unlike some others, I actually love how you've got your group of friends and rivals. Makes the game a lot more fun, but I'd like to see them more, and have more interaction with them, instead of them appearing and disappearing in a minute.

  20. #295
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s2daam View Post
    Yeah, they've never made a big surprise for the Leaders, which is a shame really. Although I don't think anyone could be sure who of Ghetsis and N was the true leader of BW and the same really for B2W2 (Seeming technically Ghetsis was still the Leader of Team Plasma in B2W2, although Colress was known as the Leader).

    Like I said, at least this time they didn't go and promote Lysandre before the games release, whereas they did for both/all Leaders last generation.
    Yeah, at the least, they did manage to surprise us with something in the past. And especially in this case, it's good they didn't reveal Lysandre before release. That at least made it some bit interesting when Lyansdre appeared in the game for the first time.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Regirock



  21. #296
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s2daam View Post
    Not really, seeming Malva wasn't known during the story. Also, was it ever stated that she was the Holo Caster woman? It's probably just me but I never clocked on that they were the same person (Just because they have the same hairstyle doesn't make them the same person - unless it's stated.) It's kind of silly for them to put someone as famous as an Elite Four member as the newscaster, although of course no one knew that the Holo Caster was made by an evil organisation.

    I agree - Lysandre was obviously a Team Flare member. There was a moment when I thought maybe AZ was the leader, but really it was obvious. He should of really had a 'disguise' of sorts in public.
    I'm pretty sure she mentioned that she was the Holo-Caster lady when you first enter the E4 chamber. If not, I guess it's just assumed information.

    If Lysandre did have a disguise it would be a little odd. "Oh look. It's this guy! Wait, he actually looks like that? Who is that? Is he still the other guy?" It would be hard to follow, especially since it's a kids game.


  22. #297
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lysandre's bed.
    Posts
    47,715

    Default

    Just met Tierno and Trevor again. Ugh, it's a never ending story with those two, but at least I learned about Horde Battles. I still don't care for Tierno's interest in dancing, and I can't even take him seriously with that Vanillite t-shirt. Like someone else said, the whole group of friends is a tad too chessy.

  23. #298
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,270

    Default

    Regarding Lysandre being an obvious villain, the main villains are always obvious. Were any of you guys shocked by the reveal of Cyrus, N, or Colress? Game Freak simply does not do subtlety when it comes to villains.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSceptile View Post
    Ehh . . . I guess I never thought of it that way. ^^; My question is, why do we not see her in the main Team Flare plot as an active member? It must have been her job then to just sit around and do the news. But how does that help build a beautiful world?
    Well, they needed to make people think that the Holo Casters were a legit thing and not a spying technique. Having a legit news reel would help. Plus, you know what they say: "Whoever controls the news..."

    Quote Originally Posted by s2daam View Post
    Also, was it ever stated that she was the Holo Caster woman? It's probably just me but I never clocked on that they were the same person (Just because they have the same hairstyle doesn't make them the same person - unless it's stated.) It's kind of silly for them to put someone as famous as an Elite Four member as the newscaster, although of course no one knew that the Holo Caster was made by an evil organisation.
    Yep:

    "Fantastic. Utterly fantastic. I'll report to all the world the news of you and your Pokémon dominating the Pokémon League! I AM a Holo Caster star, after all. Heh, I'm such a busy woman..."

    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Only way you could ever see Malva is by going to the Holo Caster option in your menu for real life updates.
    Or on the news update that plays automatically after you clear Team Flare out of the Poké Ball Factory.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type


    My 3DS Friend Code:

    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

    Vivillon Pattern: Modern

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

  24. #299
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Back of Bills house
    Posts
    2,632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSceptile View Post
    I'm pretty sure she mentioned that she was the Holo-Caster lady when you first enter the E4 chamber. If not, I guess it's just assumed information.

    If Lysandre did have a disguise it would be a little odd. "Oh look. It's this guy! Wait, he actually looks like that? Who is that? Is he still the other guy?" It would be hard to follow, especially since it's a kids game.
    I only meant like a small disguise. Heck, a hat or a wig which hides his flaming orange hair would of been enough haha!


    POKÉMON OMEGA RUBY & APLHA SAPPHIRE
    |
    MEGA EVOLUTION | 0301-9985-7534 | SAM
    Y FRIEND SAFARI: WATER WITH OCTILLERY, WARTORTLE AND AZUMARILL

  25. #300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
    I would argue that Calem/Serena, at least, do receive decent character development, as they put a new spin on the rival dynamic. For once, they are second-best to you, and they are constantly training in order to prove themselves against you. Eventually, after some dedication, they manage to match your level by mastering mega evolution themselves.

    The other three, I'll admit, were just kind of "there." Although I found Trevor to be slightly more characterized than Tierno and Shauna, perhaps because we do see some progression with him going from quiet and shy to more sociable.



    That was actually done on purpose; Masuda said that they wanted to make the Team Flare grunts act silly in order to contrast their sharp appearance.
    Mmm, I'm still gonna stand my ground on the whole rival/partners thing. But I suppose the Flare Grunt thing makes enough sense. Most people (such as myself) would never have read about Masuda's intention though, and would have instead taken them for face value.
    Friend Safari: Dragon - Noibat
    3DS Friend Code: 4871 3691 0469
    Current Shiny Hunt: Phantump (MM) - 400+ eggs hatched
    Offering Calm Chlorophyll 31/xx/31/31/31/31 Bulbasaurs, PM me with offers

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •