Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: General Characters/Storyline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by YonaNoveau View Post
    I think the problem is not that the solution is too extreme, rather how you could deduce how previous teams from RSE onwards by their actions how they were reaching their goals. And here Lyssandre just pops up in the Holo Caster: "Good morning. Just wanted to let you I am killing everybody not in my team. Have a nice day."
    While I will admit that it is much more downplayed with Team Flare (which I think is better in some ways and worse in others), there was still a fair amount of foreshadowing. Lysandre kept talking about wanting to create a "beautiful world," and if you spoke to a few NPCs here and there, they would question what his definition of a "beautiful world" was. Additionally, there were some Flare grunts scattered around who would say things such as "The future is only for Team Flare!", as well as some more NPCs who hinted at Flare's ultimate goal by saying things along the lines of "Those Flare guys came up to me and said that joining them was the only way to ensure my future."

Also, there was the matter of the stones on Route 10 and how a number of NPCs spouted their theories about what they were; a Ranger in the Hotel Marine Snow even brought up the notion of them being Pokémon graves. I actually liked how the clues all sort of came together like a puzzle in the end.
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124
    Friend Safari: Steel-type

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

I think the problem is not that the solution is too extreme, rather how you could deduce how previous teams from RSE onwards by their actions how they were reaching their goals. And here Lyssandre just pops up in the Holo Caster: "Good morning. Just wanted to let you I am killing everybody not in my team. Have a nice day."
    That's the beauty of it. All throughout the story your friends (mostly Serena/Calem) are questioning why team flare needed power, pokeballs, and energy. You're not supposed to deduce what they wanted. They call this "a twist".

M. Night Shamamalama would be proud.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

I try but I really can't as a twist, just as a pull out of the hat. I am not saying that everything should be handed over to the player, but a bit of balance is required for both ways. Make it too obvious (such as Lyssandre being the big boss) and comes as anticlimatic, make it too vague and it feels out of nowhere and even as cheating. Lyssandre did talk about a beautiful world and people's foolishness, but that doesn't equate to mass genocide right away, there's a huge difference in holding views of how things should be and be willing to cross the line for them. The climax felt too rushed for me because of how little pointed to that, suddenly mass murder is declared, you stump on AZ all of a sudden, you're given exposition on what Lyssandre is talking about in a couple of minutes and a all you get to know of Lyssandre's methods are couple of rants from him (and if you came across it a diary entry.) Perhaps I am beign too critical, but if Lyssandre was that broken as a man it would have made sense to explore that a bit beforehand (not making him pop up everywhere or hold long conversations, but a couple of brief encounters or slips from him about people), that way his delcaration while still shocking would not seem so out of the blue.

A twist in the story is a risky tool, do it well and it's glorious, do it wrong and you can badly hurt the whole work. Of course there are in betweens. M. Night Shamamalama-Sama-Kun has shown both extremes of the results: twists that have made his movies memorable (Sixth Sense, Unbreakable) or others that have split viewers (Signs, The Happening.)

To me, the story was good, but it's seem too short to me. Don't get me wrong, it's was a awesome story. It felt really short to me.

Lyndell's 3DS XL: 2380 2934 0909
    Bug Safari:
    Pokemon X Lyndell

I didn't have a problem with their plan coming out of the blue because, well... that's the whole point. I think they were really going for the shock factor with the sudden revelation.

It was a little over blown and hyperbolic for my liking, though. After the legendary heavy and borderline apocalyptic plots of the last few generations, I was hoping for something a little simpler this time around. I would have been a nice break.

Having said that, I wish that they had handled Xerneas/Yveltal's role in the climax better. I love the mythology of the legendaries and they just felt shoehorned into the plot, as if they just felt the need to involve the box legends in the villain plot. They really had no reason to be there (as far as I'm aware, AZ didn't need either of them when he activated the weapon, so why did Lysandre?) ad the small role they played was over really quickly. I think Xerneas and Yveltal would have been better off in a Lugia/Ho-oh sort of role to be honest.

I liked in the climax how Xerneas broke out of the weapon with absolutely no effort. And Lysandre foolishly thought the legendary actually "needed" your help. It could have left any time it wanted to. It was just waiting for you.

FC: 2938-7055-3337
    Normal Friend Safari with Teddiursa/Kecleon/Smeargle
    Shinies: Togepi & Dedenne

Make it too obvious (such as Lyssandre being the big boss)
    Okay did I miss a game or something wherein the boss of the criminal team wasn't dead-on obvious? People keep saying that Lysandre was too obvious as the leader of Team Flare, but so were N, Colress, and Cyrus as the leaders of their teams. This isn't anything new, and subtlety isn't what Game Freak is going for in these matters anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    (as far as I'm aware, AZ didn't need either of them when he activated the weapon, so why did Lysandre?)
        Spoiler:- Mild post-game spoilers:

Which leads me to my next point...

Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post
    I liked in the climax how Xerneas broke out of the weapon with absolutely no effort. And Lysandre foolishly thought the legendary actually "needed" your help. It could have left any time it wanted to. It was just waiting for you.
        Spoiler:- Same thing:
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467

Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Endolise View Post
        Spoiler:- Spoiler:
    Last edited by Taodragon; 29th October 2013 at 7:46 PM.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
        Spoiler:- :
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

Does the story go fast or slow?
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Friend code-1375 7776 2368-Heather

My Pangoro in the 6th gen remake of a 3rd gen game will be my future 63rd hundred. This is a great epiphany.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherTheFeraligatr View Post
    Does the story go fast or slow?
    Well, if you ask me, it's not there until it goes super fast and then it disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Well, if you ask me, it's not there until it goes super fast and then it disappears.
    Oh goody. Well, at least I finally decided on a pokemon, so this game'll be good. My brother told me there's like 3 towns between 1st-2nd gym.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Friend code-1375 7776 2368-Heather

My Pangoro in the 6th gen remake of a 3rd gen game will be my future 63rd hundred. This is a great epiphany.

To me, I feel like the story was there like it usually was IMO. You had the big battle with Team Flare before hitting the 7th/8th Gym just like in GSC and DPPt (I haven't played BW yet and I can't remember the pacing for BW2, but it was awesome anyways). Though maybe if you had more interaction with the Gym Leaders (I don't know why I keep thinking this honestly), it could've felt longer? I actually plowed through the plot in one day because I couldn't put the game down (thank god I had the weekend lol). Maybe the length of the storyline had something to do with how often you were playing the game?

Image by なべのふた
    This is all I need to feel safe and warm
    When we're together, that's all that matters

I don't see what's so horrific about     Spoiler:- SPOILERS:
    Spreading love for N with every post. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Rachael View Post
    I don't see what's so horrific about     Spoiler:- SPOILERS:
    It is because...
    My 3DS XL Friend Code:
    0748 - 4304 - 0124

My 3DS Friend Code:

3797 - 8023 - 1467

Quote Originally Posted by Sheyenne Thunderstorm View Post
    To me, the story was good, but it's seem too short to me. Don't get me wrong, it's was a awesome story. It felt really short to me.
    the overall 'story' aspect of it was pretty short this time around.. there wasn't much involved as far as in depth story goes, but the play through felt longer then black
    FC - 1435-4760-9815
    In game name - Agony

Okay did I miss a game or something wherein the boss of the criminal team wasn't dead-on obvious? People keep saying that Lysandre was too obvious as the leader of Team Flare, but so were N, Colress, and Cyrus as the leaders of their teams. This isn't anything new, and subtlety isn't what Game Freak is going for in these matters anyway.

Which leads me to my next point...

Spoiler:- Same thing:
    Say, I can't defend Cyrus and haven't played BW2 (yet) but N was never a surprise, the beginning cutscene shows his coronation. It was more of a thing of when he would tell it openly and what kind of change would be in your encounters with him.

I wasn't talking about Gamefreak in particular, what I meant was in general in writing. Then again, that's kinda my point, here it actually does try to come as a surprise Lysandre is the guy, at least that impression it gave me.

A personal impression: I do feel this game wasn't trying to be simpler or taking it easy, it was actually aiming for something big with all the elements the story had, it was trying to be dramatic and powerful like BW was (I mean, the whole AZ backstory and the ending, for example, were played for all the drama it's worth, and the game is not subtle about the whole message... I mean look at the song at the credits), but as I said before, it was not taking the potential it had what it made it feel a step back. It's not bad by all means, but that may be the reason it feels weak, rushed at moments and... at least to me, not as satisfying as it promised at first.

Very personal thing here, but I think it was a good chance to make Lysandre a red herring on the matter. Take advantage of players thinking GF had done something too obvious and thinking they had it clear already, and then just take someone else we discarded because we already fell for the too obvious choice, like the champion or the fire Elite Four. I dunno, I think it would have been cool.

i actually really like calem's character development, from when he went from obsessed with beating you to obsessed with battling you; and those are two very different things.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusherTheFeraligatr View Post
    Oh goody. Well, at least I finally decided on a pokemon, so this game'll be good. My brother told me there's like 3 towns between 1st-2nd gym.
    Yeah, before my game came in, I saw a tweet that went: "I thought I'd never get to the second gym...or maybe you're supposed to beat the first gym 8 times?"

As for the storyline, personally, I felt that the story had a lot of wasted potential.

Here you have a region that has a dark history and has proof of it everywhere - the Mega Stones, the weird stones on Route 10, the ancient castles and mansions of old warlords, and yet the game doesn't really focus on that. It focuses more on the antics of your rivals, which is fine I suppose, except that it could've been just so much more. Sycamore's already trying to figure stuff out about the Mega Stones, so why not have the main brunt of the plot be you trying to help him solve this great historical mystery? And

Spoiler:- Relatively decent X/Y spoilers:

And on top of that, you have the massively high bar set by Black/White's storyline, which was really well-paced in between your rivals doing stuff, you doing stuff with the gym leaders, and you trying to figure out what the hell is going on. And yet ever since then, the writers seem to want to relegate the epic stuff to a tiny sliver of the last fourth of the game, like in B2W2 and in this one. WHY DO THAT. You have an amazing world and an amazing region, in a game that's clearly geared towards some of the older fans, and yet you hardly use any of it. WHY.

So I guess we can expect more stuff on AZ since-
        Spoiler:- event spoilers:
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    So I guess we can expect more stuff on AZ since-
        Spoiler:- event spoilers:
        Spoiler:- Spoilers:

POKÉMON OMEGA RUBY & APLHA SAPPHIRE
    |
    MEGA EVOLUTION | 0301-9985-7534 | SAM
    Y FRIEND SAFARI: WATER WITH OCTILLERY, WARTORTLE AND AZUMARILL

Quote Originally Posted by s2daam View Post
        Spoiler:- Spoilers:
    It's unlikely GF made that model able to be fought and are going to do nothing with it.

Edit: not to mention we already know it has an exclusive move.
    Last edited by diakyu; 1st November 2013 at 3:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    The fireworks scene made much less sense to me when it was taking place during the day...
    The Fireworks scene barely made sense to me anyway, but when it was in the day it was just completely pointless. I feel like the plot developments that could have sprung from that moment never got past that scene. It also doesn't help their nickname for me is M'lord, which makes Shauna seem seem so much more subservient than she already was.
    FC: 3411-1144-9472. Type: Normal. Pokemon: , ,

Shinies:

Heh. Well, I thought this was at least a little clever. In the Battle Maison, I fought a trainer that said he was lost. His name was Backpacker Perdido. While most of the text before the battles remain identical to the Subway last Gen, I do like these new ones.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast