Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: General Characters/Storyline Thread

Sycamore assistants are quite, uh, interesting I guess. In a sense that I think there is something wrong with them.
    Last edited by diakyu; 13th October 2013 at 5:44 AM.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

The pop culture overload and humor in this game reminds me why I love the series. The one-off characters are more entertaining than the story characters...

Aside from shorts kid being back yet again, I've seen a psychic referencing Over 9000, a Roughneck speaking like a tough guy while thrilled about his Jigglypuff evolving (which itself invokes memory of that old rap in the anime 15 years ago, where the vocalist was overenthusiastic about Wigglytuff) and more.
    Also, you now have to click through the trainers' loss messages...so they're hard to miss.

Definitely worth talking to everyone in this installment. Will be hard to put down.
    3DS Friend Code (ENG): 3136-6780-3137 (ImNotThe1% / sarysa) [X] {Charmelion, Fletchinder, Growlithe}
    3DS Friend Code (JPN): 2766-9208-3979 (サリサ / サリサ) [Y] {Machoke, Pancham, Tyrogue}

sarysa's Japanese 4-stat IV breds. Current offerings: SPATK Growlithe, Arena Trap Attack Diglett, Speed Togepi, SPATK Eevee, Timid Eevee, Tank Bulbasaur with Giga Drain, Inner Focus Speed Abra (ready-made 5-stat available for your ready-made 5-stat!)

sarysa the noob's annotated battle videos!

story line was kinda weak

I'm almost at the 2nd gym, and I do kinda have a problem with the storyline. Even though generations 1-4 really didn't have much going on in terms of story, the game at least felt like it had a direction. Gen 5 was a lot better in developing story and characters to push the player forward, but X and Y really just feel like the plot is all over the place. I have no idea what my goal is (outside of gym badges, elite 4, etc., but even this is barely mentioned in this game). Every new zone/route/city feels like I'm just randomly set to work because, well, I am the main character. No other explanation is need apparently.

It kinda reminds me of the Dragon Quest games.

Also, Team Flare is by far the worst villainous team the series has seen. I really hope gen 7 brings back Team Rocket.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/wm0yld.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited View Post
    I'm almost at the 2nd gym, and I do kinda have a problem with the storyline. Even though generations 1-4 really didn't have much going on in terms of story, the game at least felt like it had a direction. Gen 5 was a lot better in developing story and characters to push the player forward, but X and Y really just feel like the plot is all over the place. I have no idea what my goal is (outside of gym badges, elite 4, etc., but even this is barely mentioned in this game). Every new zone/route/city feels like I'm just randomly set to work because, well, I am the main character. No other explanation is need apparently.
    The group is searching for the secret to Mega Evolution (they say it a lot). That's why they're traveling. The professor told them where to go, and they're working from there. You're also only at the second gym.

Also, Team Flare is by far the worst villainous team the series has seen. I really hope gen 7 brings back Team Rocket.
    Whelp
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    The group is searching for the secret to Mega Evolution (they say it a lot). That's why they're traveling. The professor told them where to go, and they're working from there. You're also only at the second gym.

Whelp
    Yes, I was being a little facetious with that I said, but sending a group of 10 year old kids out to find the secret to "Mega Evolution" while barely explaining what it actually is. "Go to Camphrier Town, where you will find a clue" is basically what you were told after you picked up your Kanto starter. It feels like a wild goose chase. It's nothing like the previous generations.

As I said, everything (to me) feels scattered and directionless.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited View Post
    Yes, I was being a little facetious with that I said, but sending a group of 10 year old kids out to find the secret to "Mega Evolution" while barely explaining what it actually is. "Go to Camphrier Town, where you will find a clue" is basically what you were told after you picked up your Kanto starter. It feels like a wild goose chase. It's nothing like the previous generations.
    No.... It's exactly like every other generation. In fact it might have more direction.

Gen 1: Oak basically says go fight some pokemon and maybe finish the pokedex. No direction.
    Gen 2: "Go after that thief. We don't know where he went, but we figure you'll find him eventually". So where do I go?
    Gen 3: I literally don't remember what the goal here was, so I guess I can't talk about this one.
    Gen 4: Work on Professor Rowan's pokedex. Follow your friend how should lay off the cola.
    Gen 5BW: Your Mom thinks you should go adventuring. Leave. And work on my pokedex while you're at it.

All gens lack direction at one point, especially 1, 2, and 4. They pick up eventually just like this game does (after the third gym). And about sending children out to do adult work, that's every pokemon game.

Even though it's very obvious, how exactly does Shauna have feelings for you? Like does she confirm this? I'm only just finishing up with the third gym, so I don't know if this is a fact or just something like Hilda and N where fans think they like each other.
    Shiny Pokemon: 1

Quote Originally Posted by VainAttempts View Post
    Even though it's very obvious, how exactly does Shauna have feelings for you? Like does she confirm this? I'm only just finishing up with the third gym, so I don't know if this is a fact or just something like Hilda and N where fans think they like each other.
    This is the exact same for the female main character. It's probably just a "best friends" relationship for both heroes. (for some reason, Japanese games tend to get translated with more intimate sounding friendships...or we Americans are oversensitive to possible shipping)
    Last edited by sarysa; 13th October 2013 at 8:17 AM.
    3DS Friend Code (ENG): 3136-6780-3137 (ImNotThe1% / sarysa) [X] {Charmelion, Fletchinder, Growlithe}
    3DS Friend Code (JPN): 2766-9208-3979 (サリサ / サリサ) [Y] {Machoke, Pancham, Tyrogue}

sarysa's Japanese 4-stat IV breds. Current offerings: SPATK Growlithe, Arena Trap Attack Diglett, Speed Togepi, SPATK Eevee, Timid Eevee, Tank Bulbasaur with Giga Drain, Inner Focus Speed Abra (ready-made 5-stat available for your ready-made 5-stat!)

sarysa the noob's annotated battle videos!

This is a bit Post-game Spoiler, but it's a Storyline!

Spoiler:- SPOILER:

POKÉMON OMEGA RUBY & APLHA SAPPHIRE
    |
    MEGA EVOLUTION | 0301-9985-7534 | SAM
    Y FRIEND SAFARI: WATER WITH OCTILLERY, WARTORTLE AND AZUMARILL

Question: Is Tierno supposed to talk like the language of the region if foreign to him?

1zvd5pu.jpg

"starting moving" doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by diakyu View Post
    No.... It's exactly like every other generation. In fact it might have more direction.

Gen 1: Oak basically says go fight some pokemon and maybe finish the pokedex. No direction.
    Gen 2: "Go after that thief. We don't know where he went, but we figure you'll find him eventually". So where do I go?
    Gen 3: I literally don't remember what the goal here was, so I guess I can't talk about this one.
    Gen 4: Work on Professor Rowan's pokedex. Follow your friend how should lay off the cola.
    Gen 5BW: Your Mom thinks you should go adventuring. Leave. And work on my pokedex while you're at it.

All gens lack direction at one point, especially 1, 2, and 4. They pick up eventually just like this game does (after the third gym). And about sending children out to do adult work, that's every pokemon game.
    LOL funny and yet spot on. I believe though I could be wrong that the goal of gen 3 was to both surpass your father who is a gym leader and also just complete the Poke dex like in gen 1. I didn't really read anymore into it than that to be honest.

And as for cola I got the impression it was more a red bull overdose at one point. Shauna in this gen strikes me as having a little cola at some points and I'm not even that far into the game.

Other than that I get the impression that however ridiculas they are Team Flare might have something to do with the mega stones existence. However small that something may be.
    Just started a lets play of Pokemon X. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHfKOvGgEIc Prepare to watch the fail xD.

Pokemon so far:
    Fennekin
    Zigzagoon
    Fletchinder
    Dunsparce
    Torchic (in the pc)

Got my first badge and accidentally caused a shiny bidoof to faint.

By the way, where the hell was Alexa? She only ever appeared for that split second in Santalune, I've not seen her at all since. I just expected her to have a bigger role (I suppose I have the anime to blame for that) I thought she'd of at least turned up every now and again when you battled someone.

|

Quote Originally Posted by s2daam View Post
    By the way, where the hell was Alexa? She only ever appeared for that split second in Santalune, I've not seen her at all since. I just expected her to have a bigger role (I suppose I have the anime to blame for that) I thought she'd of at least turned up every now and again when you battled someone.
    You can see her again the second time you go to Lumiose.
    Jumping on the Friend Safari Bandwagon!
    4167 - 4475 - 9473
    (Has Snorunt, Bergmite & Lapras)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazios View Post
    You can see her again the second time you go to Lumiose.
    Is that at a certain place? Because I swear I've not seen her at all. But Lumiose confuses me so I probably missed where she is haha!

|

Spoiler:- SPOILER:
        Spoiler:- About the last bit; just confirmation:
    My 3DS Friend Code:
    3797 - 8023 - 1467
    Friend Safari: Fighting-type

Vivillon Pattern: Modern

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Zoroark View Post
    Listen, you gotta remember these things; always avoid claims of Fennekin being (or becoming) part Fighting-type, don't tick off mods, and NEVER (and I mean NEVER!) suggest that Arceus is the God of Pokemon when Endolise is online. If you somehow make this mistake, run for the hills before he attempts to murder you via tongue lashing.

Is that at a certain place? Because I swear I've not seen her at all. But Lumiose confuses me so I probably missed where she is haha!
    More specifically, she's in the Lumiose Press on Estival Avenue.
    Jumping on the Friend Safari Bandwagon!
    4167 - 4475 - 9473
    (Has Snorunt, Bergmite & Lapras)

So, as someone asked before, are you able to re-battle your rival, post-game?
    Because he/she says something along the lines of "We'll battle everyday..." after you beat the 7th Gym, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by RoySceptile View Post
    So, as someone asked before, are you able to re-battle your rival, post-game?
    Because he/she says something along the lines of "We'll battle everyday..." after you beat the 7th Gym, or something.
    They are in Kiloude City at the top end of the city, they are there all the time. Although for some reason, they don't appear straight away after you finish the league (I think they make you wait a day, not completely sure)

|

They are in Kiloude City at the top end of the city, they are there all the time. Although for some reason, they don't appear straight away after you finish the league (I think they make you wait a day, not completely sure)
    So they are re-battleable, right?
    I'll have to memorize the English names of locations.

Okay I don't know if this was discussed already or not, but it is true that your main rival develops a crush on you? Because so far, I did not see anything :/

“Into the darkness they go,
    the wise and the lovely. ”

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Sun View Post
    Okay I don't know if this was discussed already or not, but it is true that your main rival develops a crush on you? Because so far, I did not see anything :/
    It's Shauna if you're the dude.
    But it's the male main character if you play as the female.

I think GF took some inspiration from Doctor Who when doing their character designs and script. Looker's in the game (10th), Sycamore used "Fantastic"( 9's catchphrase) and the gym helper's wearing suspenders and a bow tie( 11's signature look).

3DS Friend Code: 4055-3148-2744
    PM me if you want to exchange

Does Mr. Bonding, the guy who gives you the O-Powers, creep anybody else out?

-You can only find him in hotels
    -When you talk to him it blacks out for some reason
    -Once blacked out he says "alright lets start bonding"
    -He then mysteriously just disappears to meet you at the next hotel

Its just weird
    I have raised, bred, and traded to obtain one of every single 649 pokemon, and still remain with one of each.

Really should have had-

Spoiler:- Elite four spoilers:

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast