Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast

Thread: General Characters/Storyline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hexin' Wishes View Post
    Which is why it's creepy! The Looker sidequest hints the character is at least 16+, so this little child trying to hit on you was just creepy. I did like her more than Bianca, but I would have really wanted her to have not existed at all. Her only purpose was that other starter she gives you.
    Yeah, she really didn't do very much. And in certain parts of the story like when the whole group is in the Team Flare lab basement, she certainly wasn't treated as though she was in remotely the same age group as everyone else. And don't get me started on her dialogue, ugh. XD

I once saw an argument that said gays don't belong in the game because romance isn't even a part of the game. Since we see that we're being threatened with more romance, I was bringing that back that that argument (still) sucks.
    OOOH okay then. I haven't really been in any discussion dealing with that aspect of the game. All I know is that the only character out of the group I really cared for was Tierno. Everyone else seemed flat and dull, especially Calem. XD

Regarding the romance stuff, that is a pretty lame argument, hur-hurr.
    I personally don't mind romance of any type as long as it isn't too cliche'd/overdone.
    Though this is bound to happen every once in a while, eh.
    Last edited by Rio!; 19th February 2014 at 8:57 PM.
    3ds FC: Mystica; 2621-3668-7527
    Safari: Electric; Electabuzz, Parchirisu, Galvantula {partially full}

Art belongs to me
    Preferred Battle Style: Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Hexin' Wishes View Post
    That builds nothing of the sort. Plenty of games have had strong characters without a romance.
    You do realize emotions drive motivations and build personalities right? Liking someone is a emotion. What do you have against love mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

I was never really creeped out by the Shauna thing. It just seemed like a "younger person admiring/liking someone who happens to be a few years older" thing, which I imagine for kids around that age isn't too bizarre of a situation to occur.

Looking for Hidden Abilities and have some to share? Click the banner above for my Trade Shop!

Pokemon X Info.
    Friend Code: 1418-7764-5015
    In Game Name: James III

No offense to those who read this, but, to me, X and Y seemed kind of shallow. By which I mean there wasn't much to do in it. Think about it, R/S had Contests, Pokeblock making, Slots, Roulette, and Secret Bases; Emerald had Contests, Pokeblock, Battle Frontier, Slots, Roulette, and Secret Bases; D/P had Super Contests, Poffin, Amity Square, Slots, Underground, Secret Bases, Poketch, and Pal Park; Platinum had Super Contests, Poffin, Amity Square, Slots, Underground, Secret Bases, Poketch, Pal Park, and Battle Frontier; HG/SS had Pokeathlon, Pokegear, Battle Frontier, Pokewalker, and Pokemon following you; B/W had Royal Unova, C-Gear, Musicals, Dream World, and the sports domes; and lastly B2/W2 had Musicals, Royal Unova, Dream World, Medals, PokeStar Studios, PWT, Mall, C-Gear, Black Tower/White Treehollow, and sports domes. In comparison, X and Y had pretty much nothing. All it had was the Battle Chateau, Battle Maison, Mega Evolution(which wasn't what it was cracked up to be in my opinion), the Trainer PR videos, and outfit customization. That's not much in comparison. The PR videos weren't much to get excited about and the Battle Maison was nowhere NEAR as fun as Battle Frontiers. Don't get me started on Mega Evolution, it is NOT a big deal in the slightest. Only a few are really worth anything to me. I just hope that, in the third game, they add TONS of new features. It only took me 13 hours to beat X, my previous record had been 31 hours on Pearl.

~Ayra~
    ^My Fan Fic^
    ^My Art Thread^

The Gym Leaders were... okay. Viola was nothing special, but a good introduction. Grant wasn't too memorable, but his team was okay. Korrina was disappointing, as a master of a key role of X/Y, she didn't do too much. Clemont was pretty good, and I suppose Bonnie was a key role to his character. Ramos was almost nonexistent, along with Olympia. Valerie was nice in design and character, but had no role. Wulfric was my favorite, as he was kind enough to treat for the abandoned Pokémon, apologizes for not being in the gym, and even admits to his type's disadvantages.
    My Platinum Team:

My OmegaRuby Team:

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrafeneres View Post
    No offense to those who read this, but, to me, X and Y seemed kind of shallow. By which I mean there wasn't much to do in it. Think about it, R/S had Contests, Pokeblock making, Slots, Roulette, and Secret Bases; Emerald had Contests, Pokeblock, Battle Frontier, Slots, Roulette, and Secret Bases; D/P had Super Contests, Poffin, Amity Square, Slots, Underground, Secret Bases, Poketch, and Pal Park; Platinum had Super Contests, Poffin, Amity Square, Slots, Underground, Secret Bases, Poketch, Pal Park, and Battle Frontier; HG/SS had Pokeathlon, Pokegear, Battle Frontier, Pokewalker, and Pokemon following you; B/W had Royal Unova, C-Gear, Musicals, Dream World, and the sports domes; and lastly B2/W2 had Musicals, Royal Unova, Dream World, Medals, PokeStar Studios, PWT, Mall, C-Gear, Black Tower/White Treehollow, and sports domes. In comparison, X and Y had pretty much nothing. All it had was the Battle Chateau, Battle Maison, Mega Evolution(which wasn't what it was cracked up to be in my opinion), the Trainer PR videos, and outfit customization. That's not much in comparison. The PR videos weren't much to get excited about and the Battle Maison was nowhere NEAR as fun as Battle Frontiers. Don't get me started on Mega Evolution, it is NOT a big deal in the slightest. Only a few are really worth anything to me. I just hope that, in the third game, they add TONS of new features. It only took me 13 hours to beat X, my previous record had been 31 hours on Pearl.

~Ayra~
    Didn't you already use this same, almost exact worded phrase not too long ago? Seems familiar...
    Someone's trash is ALWAYS someone else's treasure sometimes.
    When you think about it too, some of the features listed required Wi-fi or otherwise to actually be able to partake in some of the activities.
    I have to admit (once again) that the only features that were actually 'fun/entertaining' that you mentioned was the Pokeathelon and the Battle Frontier. Dream World was alright, though spamming the same games over and over got tedious after a little while. Sometimes the Pokemon would be worth it.
    Then too this is after all the first game/s of gen 6. Never know what you're going to get later down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbro223 View Post
    The Gym Leaders were... okay. Viola was nothing special, but a good introduction. Grant wasn't too memorable, but his team was okay. Korrina was disappointing, as a master of a key role of X/Y, she didn't do too much. Clemont was pretty good, and I suppose Bonnie was a key role to his character. Ramos was almost nonexistent, along with Olympia. Valerie was nice in design and character, but had no role. Wulfric was my favorite, as he was kind enough to treat for the abandoned Pokémon, apologizes for not being in the gym, and even admits to his type's disadvantages.
    Yeah, the fact they would only have what, 3 Pokemon was a little off-putting. Outside Wulfric and Korrina, I had to refresh my memory as to who the gym leaders even were. XD
    Last edited by Rio!; 20th February 2014 at 10:07 PM.
    3ds FC: Mystica; 2621-3668-7527
    Safari: Electric; Electabuzz, Parchirisu, Galvantula {partially full}

Art belongs to me
    Preferred Battle Style: Rotation

~Ayra~
    It would have been nice if the Battle Maison was a bit more like the Battle Frontier with the various battling options. I really enjoyed some of the stuff from the D/P and HG/SS battle areas. Really a shame they never really came back. Renting Pokemon and having battles where you got to choose one of the opponents Pokemon to replace one of yours I always liked doing.

That said, a lot of the stuff you listed I feel could be lumped in with the "weren't much to get excited about" aspect that you find with PR Videos, or just replaced. Contests I would say were nothing to get excited about (they were cool in the anime, but not in the game); Slots and Roullete aren't that exciting in retrospect; Pokemon Amie you could say replaced Amity Square, except it is a lot more interactive (and Amity Square was very limited); Poffin and Pokeblock making is really just the berry planting and juice making in X/Y, albeit with less interaction; Pal Park is not needed and was one of the problems I had with previous games, as they made trading from the previous generation to the current one more tedious than it needs to be (seriously, I don't want a mini-game when I'm transferring boxes full of stuff); Pokemon being able to follow you I'm not sure I would count as "something to do in the games" as much as it would be purely a cosmetic feature; Musicals and the Pokestar Studios are pretty much similar to PR Videos, except you have a lot more input with PR Videos (and they're more fun); Dream World was replaced with the Friend Safari, and the Global Link is now having those Attractions (haven't checked them out yet); again, the Mall I wouldn't consider something "to do," and X/Y also has the entirety of Lumiose to replace it; the Royal Unova/sports domes are replaced by the Battle Chateau (which you can alter with the Writs); and the C-Gear really wasn't anything to do and was replaced by the far superior PSS (the Feeling Checks and Surveys weren't anything exciting). Just because previous games had features doesn't mean they were automatically any good.

That said, I was kind of disappointed in the lack of post game from X and was iffy with the story. With Black there was an entire area to explore once you defeated the Elite Four, whereas in X and Y you beat the Elite Four and that's it. It would have been nice if you could battle the Elite Four with higher leveled Pokemon AT the Pokemon League instead of just the Chateau as well. The Poketch, at least some features, would be nice but I don't think are necessarily needed (having a lower screen map would have been handy with Zapdos -_-). Still, there's a decent amount of stuff that you can do in X and Y once you beat it, and the amount of time it takes to beat the game has no bearing on whether there is or isn't a lot to do. I think one of the reasons it was easier to beat these games was they reworked the Exp. Share, as I didn't have to constantly waste time grinding like in previous games.
    Last edited by goomaestro005; 20th February 2014 at 10:27 PM.

Looking for Hidden Abilities and have some to share? Click the banner above for my Trade Shop!

Pokemon X Info.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    What the storyline really needed was better pacing. The earlier encounters with Team Flare were really boring and generic because they were keeping their motives secret, and then we get tons of reveals pretty much all at once at the end of the game. If they'd have spaced those reveals out a little more, it would've been more interesting.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you here. If you talk to them after battles, you'll see they DO reveal a lot. I was surprised at how shocked people were with the "sudden" holocast message... But I guess I'm one of a kind when I talk to literally every NPC before I go on with my journey
    Pokemon X is AMAZING

Quote Originally Posted by Goten21 View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with you here. If you talk to them after battles, you'll see they DO reveal a lot. I was surprised at how shocked people were with the "sudden" holocast message... But I guess I'm one of a kind when I talk to literally every NPC before I go on with my journey
    I tend to talk to every NPC as well (even if I know they won't say anything that helpful, like starting town residents). I don't think I really talk to trainers too much after battles. If I ever get around to restarting my game, I'm definitely going to have to do that for the Team Flare members. I just wish I could start a new game without losing anything from my current one (items, BP, oval charm) <_<

Pokemon X Info.

I didn't see it as surprising. At all.

What I did think was that it was abrupt. And odd. Why did they need to tell everyone what they were doing? They didn't have any demands!

Oh, and goomaestro005, there are some pretty hilarious things that NPCs say after battle. I think a few hilarious things are even said by Team Flare members.

Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

people really should talk to trainers after they beat them, especially grunts. They usually reveal some background information or just say something funny. It's a win-win.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

It's still rather abrupt, Team Flare's tone overall shifts quite suddenly and even with spare NPC dialogue that doesn't change that much. Plus, you don't get a feel for their grand plan until that crucial moment, before then their activities felt rather random.

They really did need to have better pacing and lead up because they have the making, but lack the depth.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    It's still rather abrupt, Team Flare's tone overall shifts quite suddenly and even with spare NPC dialogue that doesn't change that much. Plus, you don't get a feel for their grand plan until that crucial moment, before then their activities felt rather random.

They really did need to have better pacing and lead up because they have the making, but lack the depth.
    True, but I think the shock-factor was supposed to be there.
    I'd actually be surprised if team Flare wasn't supposed to come off weird, all over the place and tacky.
    And I certainly didn't see some dead machine coming, even after talking to all the NPC's
    Pokemon X is AMAZING

Quote Originally Posted by TheFightingPikachu View Post
    I didn't see it as surprising. At all.

What I did think was that it was abrupt. And odd. Why did they need to tell everyone what they were doing? They didn't have any demands!

Oh, and goomaestro005, there are some pretty hilarious things that NPCs say after battle. I think a few hilarious things are even said by Team Flare members.
    Actually, if you'd pay 5M pokédollars, you'd get a chance to join them and... Well, not die
    Quote Originally Posted by goomaestro005 View Post
    I tend to talk to every NPC as well (even if I know they won't say anything that helpful, like starting town residents). I don't think I really talk to trainers too much after battles. If I ever get around to restarting my game, I'm definitely going to have to do that for the Team Flare members. I just wish I could start a new game without losing anything from my current one (items, BP, oval charm) <_<
    That is a pain in the *** :\
    Pokemon X is AMAZING

Just got to parfrum palace and I always wonder what happens if you don't have that $1000 entrance fee? My guess is that you can't progress through the game if you don't. That's messed up gamefeak lol

FC: 4699-6505-4258
    IGN: Diva

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    Just got to parfrum palace and I always wonder what happens if you don't have that $1000 entrance fee? My guess is that you can't progress through the game if you don't. That's messed up gamefeak lol
    I just don't like that they gates are forever open then, you can't retake pictures in front of the awesome Serperior gates. What they should've done is had you pay for the entry but the gates just reopen every time.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    I'm guessing that they'd just let you in for free, or take whatever money you do have.

Same as usual for that type of situation.

the pacing in the game was terrible, there was this long wait between the first and second gym and then once you get to korrina, you face her then ramos and clemont and valerie so close together its crazy. i feel in comparison to the story of team plasma and ghetsis and N this story was lacking like crazy. The scientists had the same pokemon as admins or grunts just slightly higher levels, and when you face lasondra (or however you spell it) you face him 3 times in like 30 mins, it was dumb. the should have just left him with one battle with his mega. Also in comparison to BW, and BW2 the gym leaders were so insignificant, korrina was the only one that played a part in your journey for anything. The lack of Mega evolutions in the story was really a bummer to, for how much they hyped them up you'd think maybe at least the elite 4 would have megas or your rival before you beat the game. Also the lack of hype for the legendary, it barely played a part. it was so insignificant. if you had a mega evolution and actually used it throughout the game you would destroy everyone. The only thing i really liked throughout the game storywise is your main rival, he wasnt a moron like the guy in BW2 and he showed up frequent enough. The lack of pokemon gym leaders and elite 4 and rivals used was annoying as you would always have an easy chance at beating them. I just felt bored playing it. there was no challenge, even though it is the same routine they should have really made the story good like 5th gen. for all of 5th gens flaws it excelled in that area. One thing i found awesome in X and Y is how many pokemon there were in each area. it kept things interesting and gave you so many options. while X and Y did so many great things it really flunked in a lot of areas as well

Quote Originally Posted by goomaestro005 View Post
    I was never really creeped out by the Shauna thing. It just seemed like a "younger person admiring/liking someone who happens to be a few years older" thing, which I imagine for kids around that age isn't too bizarre of a situation to occur.
    I always imagined it as just a height difference.
    My Platinum Team:

My OmegaRuby Team:

~Ayra~

I think it's a bit unfair to compare XY with entire generations of past games, considering this is the first entry to Gen 6. Let's take a look on all first entries in every gen, except Gen 1.

Spoiler:

XY isn't really that shallow as you might think it is.

.: It's time... | Drawn by me, do not steal. :.
    ~ My Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Speculation & Wishlist ~

.: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.

Took me around 2 weeks to playthrough Pokemon Y, but that is because I speak to EVERY NPC, try and catch as many Pokemon as possible. I felt that the storyline itself was, well, it just felt unfinished to me. I'm not someone who rushes through games, I want my value for money. And I actually liked the easiness of the game, the one thing I don't like about any game is levelling up. Just me I know. I could do a monotype Nuzlocke for a real challenge if I wanted to do it.

Of course, it just depends how you felt about Pokemon X and Y. I personally LOVE it, mostly because the PSS has gotten me into competitive battling and Pokemon has never been so fun!
    Has left Serebii forums.

The battle girl looks like a phsyco clawing at me.
    The twins and little kids you battle randomly are adorable.

The people who were actually animated during battle have mouths that are way to small. How do they eat with those.

Shauna looks like a little four year old. Calem is wearing clothes that look like hes jogging and trying to loose weight. I didnt mind the other rivals that much though.

The elite four were too easy to beat and their pokemon didnt level up after you beat them the first time so its hard leveling up my pokemon. They only level up like twice unless theyre level one.

Team flare was a bit over the top. They did that stupid arm/hand thing. Why couldn't they be cool? They should've put team rocket back in their.

Everyone looks like little kids. Im 19, I look like im 12 on there. I think we should be able to pick our age.

They ruined spoink. They made it look like its walking in a parade. Miltanks udders are huge lol.

I thought the storyline would be better.
    I left this site.
    They gave me an infraction for "cheat codes, discussion".
    I wasnt even talking about cheat codes or anything.
    Its outrageous.
    All I put was that I saw a passerby with hacked shiny legendaries.
    How silly and immature is this site.
    Lmfao.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinypanda View Post
    The battle girl looks like a phsyco clawing at me.
    The twins and little kids you battle randomly are adorable.

The people who were actually animated during battle have mouths that are way to small. How do they eat with those.

Shauna looks like a little four year old. Calem is wearing clothes that look like hes jogging and trying to loose weight. I didnt mind the other rivals that much though.

The elite four were too easy to beat and their pokemon didnt level up after you beat them the first time so its hard leveling up my pokemon. They only level up like twice unless theyre level one.

Team flare was a bit over the top. They did that stupid arm/hand thing. Why couldn't they be cool? They should've put team rocket back in their.

Everyone looks like little kids. Im 19, I look like im 12 on there. I think we should be able to pick our age.

They ruined spoink. They made it look like its walking in a parade. Miltanks udders are huge lol.

I thought the storyline would be better.
    The 3D overworld models are done in anime chibi style. Of course they would all look like kids. Don't expect realistic anatomy in this game.

As for leveling up your Pokemon, there are several ways to do it faster:
    - Use the EXP O-Power
    - Have your Pokemon hold Lucky Egg
    - Play with your Pokemon in Pokemon-Amie until you get the EXP bonus

As for Team Flare... they are supposed to be over the top, and goofy.

.: It's time... | Drawn by me, do not steal. :.
    ~ My Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Speculation & Wishlist ~

.: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.

After reading some info on this site about Floette-E, aka the Eternal Flower, something tells me that she, being AZ's partner or his beloved queen, may just have a potential new role that she could do as a character in the next game. The fact that her total base stats are just about the same as her fully evolved species, and that she was a centralizing character for mere moments in X and Y, I am intrigued on what is her role in the next potential game.

Heck, something tells my gut that AZ may team up with you in the potential installment as his student with Floette being the highest leveled one. I dunno, something like what Steven teamed up with you in Emerald against Team Magma/Aqua in the town with the 7th gym. For me, I'll be heck surprised if AZ's Floette would call herself queen. I mean, the name of her signature move Light of Ruin, it sounds like she could just commit a holocaust once more.

So right now, I really anticipate Floette becoming mentioned as a character instead of a pokemon that has significance to the story. Strangely enough for me, having a pokemon as a main character feels so much more attractive than your usual human protagonist ala PMD style.
    Last edited by jireh the provider; 2nd March 2014 at 1:12 PM.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by Wulava View Post
    The 3D overworld models are done in anime chibi style. Of course they would all look like kids. Don't expect realistic anatomy in this game.

As for leveling up your Pokemon, there are several ways to do it faster:
    - Use the EXP O-Power
    - Have your Pokemon hold Lucky Egg
    - Infect you Pokemon with Pokerus
    - Play with your Pokemon in Pokemon-Amie until you get the EXP bonus
    Doesn't Pokerus only affect EVs? That wouldn't really help you level up faster.

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    After reading some info on this site about Floette-E, aka the Eternal Flower, something tells me that she, being AZ's partner or his beloved queen, may just have a potential new role that she could do as a character in the next game. The fact that her total base stats are just about the same as her fully evolved species, and that she was a centralizing character for mere moments in X and Y, I am intrigued on what is her role in the next potential game.

Heck, something tells my gut that AZ may team up with you in the potential installment as his student with Floette being the highest leveled one. I dunno, something like what Steven teamed up with you in Emerald against Team Magma/Aqua in the town with the 7th gym. For me, I'll be heck surprised if AZ's Floette would call herself queen. I mean, the name of her signature move Light of Ruin, it sounds like she could just commit a holocaust once more.

So right now, I really anticipate Floette becoming mentioned as a character instead of a pokemon that has significance to the story. Strangely enough for me, having a pokemon as a main character feels so much more attractive than your usual human protagonist ala PMD style.
    I don't see how the reveal of Floette-E makes this any more likely. And IMO, it would be a bit too awkward if AZ's Floette acted like a queen. She might play a role in the storyline, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132 LastLast