Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym Leaders & Elite Four Thread

The size of the gym leader's teams and the elite 4s are quite sad :I I dont' quite understand the point in the player being able to carry six pokemon, when these so called 'elites' and 'leaders' challenge you with four- I say challenge, I mean, let you walk over them :L I want six-on-six carnage :O If every important battle in the game were as challenging as Cynthia's platinum team [for that stage in the game, on par with that is], I wouldn't feel as, like, almost cheated as a player :S to wait for Z version to give players the option of anything resembling 'hard'- it's always the third version that ends up with satisfying full-team-rebattles that make me fulfilled and challenged as a gamer- else, if it weren't for my love of pokemon :S It would quite frankly be boring as.

I'd rather skip the crappy gym apprentice people as meagre appetisers and get a full on main-course instead e.g Valerie with her Mr.Mime, Sylveon and Mawile- how about a Togekiss, Clefable and Whimsicott? That would be a hard fought battle, and not a walk over with a Poison and Fire type :L I mean, I don't even get why some of their pokemon don't have 4 moves? How did they become professional trainer's let alone in charge of... anything :P
    HEAVEN-WIND-MOUNTAIN-EARTH
    [IMG]http://i42.*******.com/2m6x5l0.png[/IMG]
    MARSH-THUNDER-FIRE-WATER

Credit to http://ekurepu.deviantart.com/ for the awesome X and Y sprites

Quote Originally Posted by storm12 View Post
    I'd rather skip the crappy gym apprentice people as meagre appetisers and get a full on main-course instead e.g Valerie with her Mr.Mime, Sylveon and Mawile- how about a Togekiss, Clefable and Whimsicott? That would be a hard fought battle, and not a walk over with a Poison and Fire type :L I mean, I don't even get why some of their pokemon don't have 4 moves? How did they become professional trainer's let alone in charge of... anything :P
    Because you can totally walk all over Mawile and Mr. Mime with a Poison type.

I actually think Valerie's team is one of the more challenging ones simply because she does a good job of covering her weaknesses. Right off the bat, she sends out a Pokemon a Pokemon that covers BOTH of Fairy's weaknesses, and then her next Pokemon counters Poison, so your Poison type would get owned in that battle before she even sends out Sylveon. And that's assuming you even go into the battle knowing Fairy's weaknesses, which IIRC the game never tells you (it does tell you what types NOT to use, but I don't think it ever tells you Fairy's weaknesses). So if you didn't know what type to use, you might struggle trying to figure out what types to use.

Ironically, I think Valerie was probably the worst gym leader to pull this stunt because she uses a new and unfamilar type, it's better to do that for more well known types and their weaknesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Because you can totally walk all over Mawile and Mr. Mime with a Poison type.

I actually think Valerie's team is one of the more challenging ones simply because she does a good job of covering her weaknesses. Right off the bat, she sends out a Pokemon a Pokemon that covers BOTH of Fairy's weaknesses, and then her next Pokemon counters Poison, so your Poison type would get owned in that battle before she even sends out Sylveon. And that's assuming you even go into the battle knowing Fairy's weaknesses, which IIRC the game never tells you (it does tell you what types NOT to use, but I don't think it ever tells you Fairy's weaknesses). So if you didn't know what type to use, you might struggle trying to figure out what types to use.

Ironically, I think Valerie was probably the worst gym leader to pull this stunt because she uses a new and unfamilar type, it's better to do that for more well known types and their weaknesses.
    A Poison AND a Fire type dude- plus Mimey is still Poison weak- Gunk Shot to the FACE! Come to think of it, why there no Poison/Fire type? :O :P I haven't actually played X/Y yet, so maybe I shouldn't have picked on it :S

I dunno why I picked on Valerie either tbh, I love her, she could be my ***-hag anyday. The thing I'm most butt hurt about is the size of gym leader's teams. 6 on 6 ftw!! Size matters yo'!
    MARSH-THUNDER-FIRE-WATER

In both games I found the gym leaders and E4 and champion super easy. Alright, yeah, in my Y play through i had the Exp. share turned on most of the game, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining about this. In my X play through though, I rarely used it the entire game. The only times I did use it were when I needed to level up so I wasn't so under leveled for an up-coming gym battle/E4 challenge.

Despite not using it other than the times I just described, the E4 and Diantha were easy. The only E4 member who gave me brief trouble was Siebold and his Gyarados. It managed to take out, I think, three of my Pokemon. Other than that small setback, easiest Pokemon League I've ever done. With or without the Exp. share.
    Alpha Sapphire planned team (so far)

Claimed by me!

Mega Wishlist:

A Poison AND a Fire type dude
    First of all, that's still better than most gym leaders. Most gym leaders you can sweep with one Pokemon.

And again, how would you know to use a Fire type in the gym battle if you don't know what's good against Fairy and you don't know that her first Pokemon is Mawile?

- plus Mimey is still Poison weak- Gunk Shot to the FACE!
    But at the same time, your Poison type is also weak to Mr. Mime, so it could go either way depending on your stats. I went into the battle with a Scolipede and it got destroyed by Psychic before it could touch it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    First of all, that's still better than most gym leaders. Most gym leaders you can sweep with one Pokemon.

And again, how would you know to use a Fire type in the gym battle if you don't know what's good against Fairy and you don't know that her first Pokemon is Mawile?

But at the same time, your Poison type is also weak to Mr. Mime, so it could go either way depending on your stats. I went into the battle with a Scolipede and it got destroyed by Psychic before it could touch it.

I kinda already looked up all their teams and stuff :P for shame True though, better than sweeping with one- but that's why 6 pokemon of diverse dual types would at least make that a lot harder. I really regret picking on Valerie she's so pretty and weird. Like how I imagine a certain kind of straight guy like' Zooey Deschenel [she is such Marmite]

Whoa O_O I thought Scolipede was fast and had decent attack? I suppose if Mimey survives and puts up a reflect :O This is why a Poison/Psychic or Poison/Fire or Poison/Steel should exist :P so many concepts there ripe for the picking too! [Neurotoxins, caustic acids, toxic heavy-metals ]
    MARSH-THUNDER-FIRE-WATER

Not sure if any one has mentioned this before, but it is revelvant to the gym leaders. I was watching/reading the TV in Y and it has this program thingy that has stories about the Gym leaders, so I found out Wilfric has a picture of his favourite Pokemon in his locket and Viola's camera was given to her as a present from her sister. I quite liked this little sort of extra story/characterization of the Kalos gym leaders, I'll be interested in what else the program has to say.
    Has left Serebii forums.

What's everybody's thoughts on taking this team in to the Elite 4:

Talonflame
    Charizard (Mega Y)
    Lucario (Mega)
    Electrode
    Yveltal
    Greninja

Quote Originally Posted by ~RKO~ View Post
    What's everybody's thoughts on taking this team in to the Elite 4:

Talonflame
    Charizard (Mega Y)
    Lucario (Mega)
    Electrode
    Yveltal
    Greninja
    Watch out for Rock types; otherwise, you should have no problem with Yveltal being there.

Quote Originally Posted by BNator92 View Post
    Watch out for Rock types; otherwise, you should have no problem with Yveltal being there.
    That's why I have Greninja & Lucario.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkiePieFox View Post
    Not sure if any one has mentioned this before, but it is revelvant to the gym leaders. I was watching/reading the TV in Y and it has this program thingy that has stories about the Gym leaders, so I found out Wilfric has a picture of his favourite Pokemon in his locket and Viola's camera was given to her as a present from her sister. I quite liked this little sort of extra story/characterization of the Kalos gym leaders, I'll be interested in what else the program has to say.
    The same thing happened in Unova with the Gym Leaders, and in Sinnoh with 4-5 of the Gym Leaders as well (plus Aaron on Unova TV).

All the gym leaders were easy, I only had trouble with Viola. The rest were easy because I had an Exp. Share -_-, it was too easy to level up all them. The E4 was easy too and Diantha? I ran over her with Snorlax and M. Lucario.

But I did like their themes (except Diantha).
    Central Dex- 150/150
    Coastal Dex- 151/153 (Machamp Rhyperior)
    Mountain Dex- 150/151 (Yveltal)
    Kalos Dex- 451/454 = Oval Charm
    National Dex (Seen) 611/718
    National Dex (Caught) 591/718 = Shiny Charm
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Kanto Dex- 146/151 (Weezing,Muk, Mew needed)
    Johto Dex-

Shiny Mega Evos- 1/28 (Excluding Mewtwo).
    Going for Charmander.

Yeah, Valerie was a pretty good Gym Leader overall since she actually tries to cover her weaknesses rather then let one Pokemon walk all over her. I would like to see more of that since it made her more fun to fight.

Whoa O_O I thought Scolipede was fast and had decent attack? I suppose if Mimey survives and puts up a reflect :O This is why a Poison/Psychic or Poison/Fire or Poison/Steel should exist :P so many concepts there ripe for the picking too! [Neurotoxins, caustic acids, toxic heavy-metals ]
    Those would be really fun Pokemon ideas.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

>Says Viola is hard.
    >Talks about Valerie.

But eh, yeah, Valerie was good, although the fact it was a new Type made it somewhat useless as the average buyer would not know Fairy's relation to the Type Chart anyway.

I have to say I was rather disappointed with the E4 and champion. Malva and Siebold were OK but the other three just were not enjoyable. Siebold's personality almost ruined him for me, but his good team saved him. Then the dragon leader is over 70 years old and acts like a nice grandma, but also has a good team. Then the steel leader has a terrible character design and bad dialog, and his team is incredibly easy to beat. Then the champion has the second worst design because of her character model and her team having no reasoning toward typing; although it has decent Pokémon.

I know I'm just hating on them but I had a lot of hope going into the Elite four, as I always do, that they would be totally awesome characters who really went with their Pokémon but they didn't. It just makes me sad after we have had such great E4 and champions in the past.

However I have no problem with the gym leaders who I thought were very good and probably saved the game for me.
    Last edited by Rexitron; 23rd April 2014 at 3:23 PM. Reason: Revision
    Safari=Normal

I apologize if anyone didn't like my last post I was just giving my opinion of how I felt about the new Elite 4 and Champion and I was probably a little fussy about them. It was just disappointing to have Pokémon types that we had before and the trainers just don't live up to what I expect.

Drasna is the best example of not living up to legacy. Here we have another dragon leader but she doesn't even compare to Lance and Drake who were totally awesome.

Then you have Wilkstrom, the one I attacked the most. Now there was never a steel E4 but Steven was champion and helped you so much through the story of the game and was the final boss in Emerald.

Then you have Diantha who was continuing the trend of having a mixed team, but compared to Gary/Blue, Cynthia, and Alder who all had mixed teams and played a big role in the story; however, Diantha only appears at a couple points in the story and only gives you Ralts after you beat the game.

They all just left a lot to be desired.
    Safari=Normal

Quote Originally Posted by Rexitron View Post
    I apologize if anyone didn't like my last post I was just giving my opinion of how I felt about the new Elite 4 and Champion and I was probably a little fussy about them. It was just disappointing to have Pokémon types that we had before and the trainers just don't live up to what I expect.

Drasna is the best example of not living up to legacy. Here we have another dragon leader but she doesn't even compare to Lance and Drake who were totally awesome.

Then you have Wilkstrom, the one I attacked the most. Now there was never a steel E4 but Steven was champion and helped you so much through the story of the game and was the final boss in Emerald.

Then you have Diantha who was continuing the trend of having a mixed team, but compared to Gary/Blue, Cynthia, and Alder who all had mixed teams and played a big role in the story; however, Diantha only appears at a couple points in the story and only gives you Ralts after you beat the game.

They all just left a lot to be desired.
    ... What legacy?
    And how does Drasna not live up to it?

Wikstrom is an Elite Four, though, and outside Lorelei and Flint, they literally never did anything.

At least Diantha had some sort of outside gig, her being a film star, outside Blue who was just a jerkish battler for nothing.
    She was also harder than him but that's subjective so eh.

The only thing Epic for me with E4 is who I chose to battle them. Outside of that eh..
    1 million thanks to Varanus for this Shiny Card.

0963-1007-3370 Y Fc

Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    ... What legacy?
    And how does Drasna not live up to it?

Wikstrom is an Elite Four, though, and outside Lorelei and Flint, they literally never did anything.

At least Diantha had some sort of outside gig, her being a film star, outside Blue who was just a jerkish battler for nothing.
    She was also harder than him but that's subjective so eh.
    I understand your point with Wilkstrom as most of the Elite 4 never do appear out of the E4 and Steven was the Champion.

For Drasna, and all the dragon leaders, the group has gone down hill Lance was a great challenge in the original games and was able to become champion second gen. Drake never did much, but had an interesting story if you took the time to learn it. Also they both focused on using the dragon pokémon's powers to crush the opposition and had a strong sense of pride in themselves with neither one of them thinking that you are worthy. Then you have Drasna who is actually happy to see you, and isn't angry at you winning, and is sad when you leave her... that's creepy.

Diantha may have had the movie gig but unlike Garry who was your rival and made constant challenges to you through the entire game and was always one step ahead of you motivating you to continue, she only appeared three times.

Also you can't Argue that Cynthia and Alder were much more involved in the stories.
    Safari=Normal

I hate beating Drasna first when I go to the E4... she comes off as a B!t$h... "Oh, I'm the first elite four you beat? well the rest aren't going to be as easy to handle" or something along those lines. I REALLY don't like her as a dragon trainer, I LOVE her room, hell all the rooms are really well made this gen, but I just can't stand her. I liked the previous dragon trainers better.

also, yeah Cynthia and Alder were the more involved champions story wise. Don't like Diantha either, she's a snob, and not just because shes a "movie star", her character is just dumb overall

-edit-
    Lol at whoever gave me a bad rep simply because I don't like Drasna and Diantha for my own personal reasons. Some of the people here are 'funny' (To not use a more suitable word).
    Last edited by Nightshade Aran; 23rd April 2014 at 6:42 PM.
    Pokemon GL Medals: 135
    Successful trades completed: 25

Spoiler:- Night's Safari Info:

I understand your point with Wilkstrom as most of the Elite 4 never do appear out of the E4 and Steven was the Champion.

For Drasna, and all the dragon leaders, the group has gone down hill Lance was a great challenge in the original games and was able to become champion second gen. Drake never did much, but had an interesting story if you took the time to learn it. Also they both focused on using the dragon pokémon's powers to crush the opposition and had a strong sense of pride in themselves with neither one of them thinking that you are worthy. Then you have Drasna who is actually happy to see you, and isn't angry at you winning, and is sad when you leave her... that's creepy.

Diantha may have had the movie gig but unlike Garry who was your rival and made constant challenges to you through the entire game and was always one step ahead of you motivating you to continue, she only appeared three times.

Also you can't Argue that Cynthia and Alder were much more involved in the stories.
    I never knew that Lance or Drake were angry at their losses, Drake's even seemed to be more Wikstrom-esque in that it seemed more noble than anything.
    Drake's story also was basically that he was rescued by Dragon Types once and got fascinated by them. Everything else basically is fanon.
    Also Drasna was harder than Lance at least.

But Blue the Rival is, for all intents and purposes, a different thing than Blue the Champion. Blue the Rival is Battled multiple times, in which he literally does zero than being a jerk and french. Blue The Champion just sits there and jerk Battles again. Once. He also did not motivate me at all because I thought of him as completely unnotable and annoying, unlike other Rivals like Hugh or Barry/Cedric, in which the former I was motivated to help and the latter for being a great example that competetiveness does not necessarily equate to jerkyness, retaining a friendly yet highly competetive attitude.

Cynthia was way more plot-heavy than any of the three you mentioned.

You're going to have to cite for me where Drake was anything like what you said. And while Lance was like that in Gen I, come Gen II he saw you as an equal challenge and was genuinely interested in seeing which of you was stronger; again, nothing like what you said. They had the pride, but that's it.

And Drasna is cut from a different cloth. Her motivations lie in having been taught the legends of Dialga and Palkia; her being a more relaxed and less competitive Dragon Master isn't that unrealistic. And I fail to see why that's inherently a bad thing.

Blue doubled as both Champion and Rival. None of the other names you cited did. Does is even need to be said why they had less presence?

Edit: Also, what dirkac said. Good point on Cynthia.

I just want to know why they didn't make them stronger after you beat them the first time. Its so hard to level pokemon up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by X2koda View Post
    I just want to know why they didn't make them stronger after you beat them the first time. Its so hard to level pokemon up fast.
    Hard to Level Up Pokémon fast when you have Exp. Share, Pokémon-Amie, Lucky Egg, Exp. O-Power 3, and Battle Chateau?

Like Nightshade Aran said Drasna was not what we expect from the dragon leader. She does openly say that she is probably the easiest of the 4 to beat. The dragon master should not go around saying that. I will admit that Lance did change gen 1 to 2 but that doesn't change the fact that he had a strong sense of self pride even though he went from kinda arrogant to more of a respected opponent.

I also picked these characters from the design standpoint that means character model, dialogue, story, and decided Pokémon team. Drasna, Wilkstrom and Diantha didn't have a good design all around. Sure some of my points were lacking a some of those, but in my OPINION Drasna, Wilkstrom and Diantha had the worst overall design.

I also never said that any of them were rivals other than Blue/Garry.

I also said Cynthia and Alder were both very involved and no one can say that Cynthia isn't the most involved Champion so far, but alder did play a role in both Black/White games now before you start hatting because Alder was not the champion in 2 he still used to be champion.

I will say I am bias toward 3rd gen characters but that doesn't mean my word means nothing about 6th gen characters.
    Safari=Normal

Page 36 of 41 FirstFirst ... 26323334353637383940 ... LastLast