Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym Leaders & Elite Four Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    It might be a stretch to liken these leaders to the Kanto leaders, but seeing as they're so similar in extreme lack character involvement, it might be possible to hypothesize that they were done this way on purpose. Yeah, there's nothing to support that, given what Gen 5 did before this, but with all else that was reminiscent of Kanto, it's still a valid thought. Not so much an argument, but a thought nonetheless.
    I've actually come to this same conclusion recently. It's almost a throwback to when gym leaders were less personally involved and much more enigmatic in nature. Rather than getting you acquainted with their secondary characteristics, which can't get fleshed out to much extent anyways due to the pacing of the games, their entire character now hinges on how well their appearance and attitude represent their type.

Seeing them for the first time in their own gym, right before the match is something that doesn't bother me, but I can see why others would feel cheated after how Gen V handled leaders.

The Kanto Leaders were definitely fleshed out during the Gen 3 craze, though, and the Gen 2 remakes gave them more stories.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    The Kanto Leaders were definitely fleshed out during the Gen 3 craze, though, and the Gen 2 remakes gave them more stories.
    Though that was only done later. Even then, in Gen 3, they had no involvement in the story, even less than the Kalos leaders did. Kalos leaders were about as involved in the story as the Johto leaders, with minor things here and there, but never actually contributing to any crisis that occurs. Even Kurt stood up to Team Rocket more than the leaders did. You never actually did see them outside of their gym in FR/LG, either. Bringing Gen 2/4 in is kind of a different matter, though, since they got that development over an extended period of time. The Kalos leaders are still very new, so of course there would be less known about them.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Bringing up the old Kanto Gym Leaders is useless as the creators didn't care much about story and character quality back then.

But if they did care, that paints a bad picture.

Bringing up the old Kanto Gym Leaders is useless as the creators didn't care much about story and character quality back then.

But if they did care, that paints a bad picture.
    Who's to say they cared so much about story and development this time around, though? Just because the last few games focused more heavily on story and character development doesn't mean that that's necessarily the case here.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

I liked the champion her sprite is seriously hot.
    Hey you...... Yes you. Do you want to be even more awesome.

Go here to do that
    http://pokemonbros.createaforum.com/index.php
    See you there.

Quote Originally Posted by ben1011bh View Post
    She reminds me of Valerie except less exaggerated.

Am I the only one who found all the female characters hot this gen? LOL
    I guess that the region's theme became also that of the girls. XD
    My Shiny Pokčmon (Since 2001): (X2)

Last update: 19/3/2014

3DS Friend code: 1950-8255-4764
    Friend Safari: Bug (Illumise, Ledyba and Venomoth)

Diantha's overworld sprite creeps the hell out of me! Her eyes are half the size of her head! I'd have to say she's the best looking female sprite out of the bunch though...

Valerie is just insanely creepy with those eyes, like the Hex and Fairy Girls, and Olympia looks like a grandma who goes sky/ scuba diving... And Korrina looks like she'd happily beat the crap out of you if you pissed her off, especially in her mega battle sprite!

Violas ok I guess. Wierd hair loopys...

Friend Safari: Grass - Oddish, Ivysaur, Quilladin My Friend Code is 0447-5871-8128

X team: Greninja, Pelipper, Gardevoir, Pangoro, Tyrantrum, Xerneas

White Team: Heart Gold Team: Ruby/ Emerald Legends!:

Hm I liked the look of valiary though she is insanely creepy....It's like all the fairy trainers take the creepy aspects of fairies they refuse to put in the pokemon. Hm maybe she and all the fairy tale girls are the limbs of some eldirch being that will consume the universe.

Korrina is my favorite Gym Leader from Kalos, she actually has a role in the storyline, which is something important to me.

In BW, all the Gym Leaders came to N's Castle. THAT was memorable. Some had roles before then, some had roles in BW2.

Korrina has a role in XY, she is the one who introduces Mega Evolutions, you battle her three times, and she gives you one of her Lucario.

All the other Gym Leaders don't do anything outside of their Gym, except for Wulfric, who is in Pokemon Village.
    Last edited by The DragonKnight; 1st November 2013 at 1:46 AM. Reason: oops :$

Actually, you first have to find Wulfric, so he takes more than one step. :P
    3DS Friend Code: 5284-1656-1651

I was watching a Let's Play earlier today and I noticed something. Both Wikstrom and the male punk NPCs have that weird colored star-shaped hair on front, only Wikstrom's is yellow. Is there a secret hidden past to our chivalrous Mr. Medieval?

Credit for picture: "Emma" (littlebuster-k2); Credit for signature: 9dragonsbreed
    So you should expect the truth from me. Only, you shouldn't expect it to be the truth you assumed.
    Oh yes, and you should read my story Happenings Between Goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Demon View Post
    I guess Gamefreak decided to add different ethnicities starting from Black and White because it's based in New York. Though they fumbled with Marlon the most...

Back to your point, you're definitely right on that context. Grant and Olympia seem to be the obvious diverse Gym Leaders but leaders like Ramos (who's very northern scottish/irish) and Valerie who seems to be more traditionally Japanese.
    Actually now that I think it, Brock was ethnically different as well because of the obvious reasons.
    Hall of Fame Gallery (Will update this as I try to find my old cartridges -which likely need to be replayed or have to buy new ones- and finish the Gen IV and after Pokemon games)
    ---------------------------
    Blue
    Trainer name: Camvzqy (I WAS 6 BACK THEN SO I ****ED AROUND WITH THE NAME! ;-; )

Silver
    Trainer Name: Xavier

--------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by ben1011bh View Post
    Meh. Cynthia over Diantha any day. :P

Quote Originally Posted by I Like Pie! View Post
    Meh. Cynthia over Diantha any day. :P
    *high fives*

Anyway, I just beat the champion today. E4 was pretty easy except for that damn Gyrados. I had to battle that guy several times before finally beating him. It took 2 tries for me to beat the champion. That Mega Gardevoir on the first try kept knocking my Pokemon out with critical hits right before I finished her off.

Also my Pokemon were only level 60-62 when I battled the champion.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

Diantha >>> Cynthia. She has a better design and is over all a better Champion imo.

Anyway, I battled Korrina yesterday in Shalour City and I had an easy time against her. I also got a gift Lucario from her which I wasn't expecting. I still don't like her though. She's probably my least favorite female Kalos Gym Leader based solely on design; even Olympia looks better than her in my opinion and look at the state of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    Diantha >>> Cynthia. She has a better design and is over all a better Champion imo.
    Not sure if serious? Diantha is SEVERELY underdeveloped. I would even say Cynthia's design is better. Cynthia has been shown to be popular and raise amazing pokemon. Diantha is just a movie star. Alexa should have been the champion, imo.

Hmm, I'm the opposite actually. I'm not a fan of Diantha's appearance (especially those wing-like things) and Cynthia's team only had one type over lap (Ground, but neither of them had the same weaknesses) in DP and no overlap in Pt unlike Diantha who has two Dragons and two Rock-types which makes Cynthia's team seem more like a Champion's team (in my opinion) because it has more diversity. I also didn't like how Diantha had no involvement in the story beyond saying "Hi" in a cafe. At least all the other Champion's popped up in the story a couple of times, Iris was on the cusp of being too little involved for my liking though.

Diantha does squat and you don't ever get to interact much with her, despite being a TV star.

She got an EVIL woman in her Elite Four peons.

Diantha does squat and you don't ever get to interact much with her, despite being a TV star.

She got an EVIL woman in her Elite Four peons.
    That just goes to show how overly interactive Diantha is, and knows everything about the Pokémon League and it's members like the Champion should.

Of course, it may be that he Pokémon League cares nothing about evil or good or whatever but just at the strength and strategy a Trainer has, explaining why the Pokémon League did squat to stop the Evil Teams outside of BW.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina View Post
    Not sure if serious? Diantha is SEVERELY underdeveloped. I would even say Cynthia's design is better. Cynthia has been shown to be popular and raise amazing pokemon. Diantha is just a movie star. Alexa should have been the champion, imo.
    I don't really care about Diantha's development or lack thereof; I'm judging her purely on her design. And if I'm being honest, perhaps the fact that she didn't get much development is a good thing. I felt that Cynthia got too much attention in D/P/Pt and she was practically perfect in every way possible which irked me. I found her to be completely overrated tbh.

I don't really care about Diantha's development or lack thereof; I'm judging her purely on her design. And if I'm being honest, perhaps the fact that she didn't get much development is a good thing. I felt that Cynthia got too much attention in D/P/Pt and she was practically perfect in every way possible which irked me. I found her to be completely overrated tbh.
    So, in a few words, Diantha is lazy and Cynthia is perfect.

Alright, I completed my Pokemon X today (already completed Y a while ago) and had the following team against Diantha:

Greninja
    Vivillon
    Granbull
    Klefki
    Noivern
    Avaugg
    - All levels around 60-63

It took me probably 4-5 attempts to beat her with this team, as Gardevoir is just too powerful unless you've got something super effective. I realised that Klefki was my only chance, as it resists its Moonblast. Thunder Wave it with priority, Dazzling Gleam away and hope for the best! No items used in battle, while battle style was set to Set. Granbull was able to set up against Aurorus (?), but never able to take a hit from Gardevoir, while Vivilllon never had any chances to Quiver Dance in the battle, leaving all the fighting against Gardevoir to Klefki and Greninja (Avalugg would take out Hawlucha and maybe Tyrantrum, Noivern usually took care of Gourgeist). Intense, and very challenging! I'm thinking next time it's going to be a mono-type Grass run.

As a person, though, Diantha doesn't seem like the fitting champion. She doesn't have any kind of toughness to her like all previous champions had, but that's just personal preference. When you fight her, it still feels like the champion battle, though, so it's ok! I only wish that the PWT would be a part of this game too, best feature in BW2!

FC: 3024-6809-5667

i like all the e4's designs and personalities. espcially malva, idk why her *****y attitude is cool in my eyes. but anyway, cynthia > diantha any day. diantha is cool but she doesn't fit the champion mold that cynthia left behind and i'm not sure anybody can at this point. alder was a joke, iris was so out of left field that i didn't even bother comparing her to cynthia. but ya, diantha is still cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive
    We all stand in single file line, and we have all been born into it.

Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast