Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 525 of 1012

Thread: Gym Leaders & Elite Four Thread

  1. #501
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    You mean her being bland?

    If you mean her looks, I plainly don't like her, although there are other people such as Valerie, Ice, Aaron, etc. who I do like, which can be veiwed as odd.
    I think her overall blandness compensated for the sheer awesomeness that is her hair, also because she looks hilarious. Valerie was creepy, her eyes were so bug like. I don't really like Clemont though, I wish he wasn't the new "Brock" figure in the Animé.

    Trading my almost perfect UT Timid Mewtwo! Its IVs are 31/22/31/31/30/31. You can verify the calculation here:




        Spoiler:- Credits and my FC:

  2. #502
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Crazy Town, Land of Insanity
    Posts
    4,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonTongFlute View Post
    I think her overall blandness compensated for the sheer awesomeness that is her hair, also because she looks hilarious. Valerie was creepy, her eyes were so bug like. I don't really like Clemont though, I wish he wasn't the new "Brock" figure in the Animé.
    Her hair? :/
    I prefer almost every single hair to hers, except maybe Brock, Clemont, or Flint ._.

    I never noticed that her eyes are bug-like, I like her still, though.

    Clemont is pretty meh overall, IMO.

  3. #503
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    Her hair? :/
    I prefer almost every single hair to hers, except maybe Brock, Clemont, or Flint ._.

    I never noticed that her eyes are bug-like, I like her still, though.

    Clemont is pretty meh overall, IMO.
    Yeah Clemont is very boring. In my opinion, none of the gym leaders, or E4 were memorable in these games. The dragon type E4 lady creeped me out though.

    Trading my almost perfect UT Timid Mewtwo! Its IVs are 31/22/31/31/30/31. You can verify the calculation here:




        Spoiler:- Credits and my FC:

  4. #504
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Crazy Town, Land of Insanity
    Posts
    4,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonTongFlute View Post
    Yeah Clemont is very boring. In my opinion, none of the gym leaders, or E4 were memorable in these games. The dragon type E4 lady creeped me out though.
    Drasna?

    I like her, if only because she comes from Celestic Town.

  5. #505
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    I'm nowhere but everywhere...
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    Drasna?

    I like her, if only because she comes from Celestic Town.
    So she does come from Celestic Town. (yes, my theory is correct! ) :P
    Credit goes to kyogreblue3 for the banner and Fairywitch for the userbar.


  6. #506
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Crazy Town, Land of Insanity
    Posts
    4,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luigiis View Post
    So she does come from Celestic Town. (yes, my theory is correct! ) :P
    She says she came from a Dragon town at the foot of a huge mountain where tales of time and space were told.

    Only Eterna, Oreburgh, and Hearthome are really at the foot of a mountain, and Eterna is the only one with the tales.

    Celestic is also known for it's Dragon Types, if slightly, so it's likely to be this.

  7. #507
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    I'm nowhere but everywhere...
    Posts
    52

    Default

    I think it's weird for Korina to be in the same place and not at the gym for the rest of the game.
    Credit goes to kyogreblue3 for the banner and Fairywitch for the userbar.


  8. #508
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Crazy Town, Land of Insanity
    Posts
    4,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luigiis View Post
    I think it's weird for Korina to be in the same place and not at the gym for the rest of the game.
    It is weird, but it's kinda like Cheren.

    Once the Plasma Frigate moves, he just stays at Route 21.
    I haven't seen him there anymore, though, so I don't even know where he is now.

  9. #509
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I find all the gym leaders and elite 4 a little unmemorable this gen. If only for the fact that they don't do anything all game Cept hand out badges. Save for korrina who you met and had to battle for the right to mega evolve.

  10. #510
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dragon Roost Island
    Posts
    5,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurath8 View Post
    I'd really like to know this. The pokemon choices can be fantastic and challenging, but the amount of pokemon really hampers challenge. Granted, some pokemon on my team aren't suitable for a gym, but the extra turn I get by sending them out can be used as a sacrifice for another, so even that gives me an advantage just via sheer numbers. In order to truly threaten having my whole team fainted, I need to be facing a whole team.
    Even though I tend to dislike deliberately handicapping myself, I've started using the same amount of Pokemon as the Gym leaders and it's actually made things more interesting. I prefer the extra bit of challenge.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    Finally got around to beating Wulfric today. Underwhelming. Abomasnow was actually a pretty strong wall that could fire off auto-freezing Ice Beams (or at least it seemed that way.) Cryogonal got OHKO'd by my Gogoat. I actually tried to get Avalugg to attack me to see how strong it was but all it did was cursed itself. Mystic Fire away.

    Based on strength, I would rank them:

    Grant (lost twice) > Olympia (lost once) > Korrina > Wulfric > Clemont > Ramos > Valerie > Viola
    I'd probably go:

    Korrina > Grant > Viola > Clemont > Valerie > Wulfric > Olympia

    None of them were very challenging but a couple gave me some difficulty. I was MAULED Korrina's Hawlucha--Flying Press OHKOed Frogadier and Charmeleon and Helioptile just barely survived it with Eviolite. Grant was more annoying than challenging with his constant flinching. Viola mainly gave me trouble because I couldn't figure out how to leave her Gym and ended up repeatedly battling her with a shitty team. Clemont and Valerie were pretty similar. I lost once to each of them, but they weren't really that difficult overall. Olympia and Wulfric are pretty much interchangeable, I OHKOed like all their Pokemon.

  11. #511
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Gallifrey
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverevilchao View Post
    Yeah, same. I actually turned it off after my Noibat hit the same levels as my other Pokemon...still like 10 levels higher than the Elite Four.

    Though I disagree with what you said Diamond/Pearl. I started a new file recently and, outside of the first few battles, the game has been a total breeze. Much like SoulSilver. Though because of this, I find myself underleveled in those titles, hahahahaha.
    When I got to Volkner, the only pokemon I had been using was my Empoleon and he destroyed him. Took me forever to get through the last gym. Also, the leaders early on in the game were harder for me. Gardenia (probably because my choice in starter) was hard, as was Maylene and Wake. Even in the not so difficult gyms, I wasn't beating three of the gym leaders pokemon in three turns. It would take awhile.

    My Fenniken crushed Viola, Flabebe and Braixen crushed Grant, Talonflame ate Korrina, and so on. The Leaders are no challenge what so ever. In BW I used strong pokemon on my team, like Haxorus and Krokorok and still had a little bit of an issue beating some gyms and trainers.

  12. #512
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,349

    Default

    The kalos elite four should have had 6 pokemon with levels of 80+. Not to mention actually using hold items.

  13. #513
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tropius19 View Post
    The kalos elite four should have had 6 pokemon with levels of 80+. Not to mention actually using hold items.
    So...B2/W2 Challenge Mode? I think every Elite 4 should be like that. I'm surprised it took them until B2/W2 to start giving them good items. Shauntal's Scarfed Chandelure is very deceiving if you aren't aware of it.

    As for the talk about gym leaders from toughest to weakest, my order would be something like this:

    Grant > Clemont > Valerie > Viola > Olympia > Ramos > Wulfric > Korrina

    Grant was tough because Honedge (who lacks a Steel move) was the only member of my team who could fight him, with Braixen being my only other option. He never used Thunder Wave either. And Hyper Potions by the second gym? That's a quite the jump Grant took. Clemont had a generally annoying team, typical of someone with an Emolga and Sturdy Magneton. Heliolisk was just fast, and that hurt. Valerie, I just had no Steel or Poison moves, and after that, my team was well rounded enough to smash the rest of the leaders. Korrina's team was totally unable to land a hit on my Doublade (I babied him a bit during the gym), so she was a total let-down in battle.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo



  14. #514
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    Even though I tend to dislike deliberately handicapping myself, I've started using the same amount of Pokemon as the Gym leaders and it's actually made things more interesting. I prefer the extra bit of challenge.


    I'd probably go:

    Korrina > Grant > Viola > Clemont > Valerie > Wulfric > Olympia

    None of them were very challenging but a couple gave me some difficulty. I was MAULED Korrina's Hawlucha--Flying Press OHKOed Frogadier and Charmeleon and Helioptile just barely survived it with Eviolite. Grant was more annoying than challenging with his constant flinching. Viola mainly gave me trouble because I couldn't figure out how to leave her Gym and ended up repeatedly battling her with a shitty team. Clemont and Valerie were pretty similar. I lost once to each of them, but they weren't really that difficult overall. Olympia and Wulfric are pretty much interchangeable, I OHKOed like all their Pokemon.
    Yeah, they weren't that challenging, but nearly all of them had a single Pokemon that could cause trouble. Grant's Amaura's Refridgerated Take Downs hit like a truck. I was also stuck in the Anistar Gym so I ended up battling Olympia with a weak team. Then Ramos' Gogoat and Wulfric's Abomasnow were annoying to get by.

    breathe it in, i'm gonna shine. it's my moment, i'm going to fly.

  15. #515

    Default

    So in short, this gen suffered from what made Golden Sun: Dark Dawn so easy it sucked: too many options to make the game easy.

    Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

    Chapter 219: An Alien Friend in Need - Complete!

  16. #516
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    So...B2/W2 Challenge Mode? I think every Elite 4 should be like that. I'm surprised it took them until B2/W2 to start giving them good items. Shauntal's Scarfed Chandelure is very deceiving if you aren't aware of it.
    Definitely this. Challenge Mode was probably one of the better features introduced last generation and I'm pretty surprised it didn't make it back this generation. Granted, they need to keep the game's difficulty low enough for 7 year old kids to handle, but giving each leader only THREE Pokemon and otherwise making the game a piece of cake without providing another option for more seasoned players is somewhat a step back from last generation.
    3DS Friend Code: 2337-4080-6077 | Friend Safari (Poison): Cascoon, Venomoth, Muk
    Kalos Pokedex completed on 1 January 2014
    National Pokedex completed on 7 July 2014

    Shinies:

  17. #517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unredemption View Post
    Definitely this. Challenge Mode was probably one of the better features introduced last generation and I'm pretty surprised it didn't make it back this generation. Granted, they need to keep the game's difficulty low enough for 7 year old kids to handle, but giving each leader only THREE Pokemon and otherwise making the game a piece of cake without providing another option for more seasoned players is somewhat a step back from last generation.
    Challenge Mode wasn't even hard. Because everyone had inflated levels, you'd get more experience because of the experience mechanic exclusive to Gen V. You COULD probably struggle with Cheren, but after that, not so much.

    Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

    Chapter 219: An Alien Friend in Need - Complete!

  18. #518
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Challenge Mode wasn't even hard. Because everyone had inflated levels, you'd get more experience because of the experience mechanic exclusive to Gen V. You COULD probably struggle with Cheren, but after that, not so much.
    I don't know, I found it more difficult than any Pokemon game before it. Not that it was necessarily difficult to begin with, but it was a step up from what we've had before B2/W2. The games just aren't too difficult in general, but Challenge Mode's somewhat smarter AI along with better leaders and Elite 4 teams were definitely nice to see. Except for maybe Skyla (her team was doomed to suck by making Swanna her ace), all team members were meaningful additions to the team on Challenge Mode.

    Not like Johto pointlessly lumping the same or similar Pokemon on one team and having smaller teams than even 5th and 6th gen, as well as setup bait like Wallace/Juan's Luvdisc or Koga's Koffings. As much as I'd love for leaders to have more than just 3 Pokemon, in the past, more was not always better.

    I do want to see Challenge Mode return, but I do realize there were flaws in the manner it was executed. Apart from the obvious (making it accessible from the start), I'd definitely like to see standard trainers get smarter or have a few changes to their teams/movesets. That might be a lot to ask for, but that's what I think would be a better step to having a more difficult Challenge Mode. But I'm not necessarily disappointed by the difficulty of the Kalos leaders. EXP Share aside, they're not much less difficult than leaders of the past.
    Last edited by Psynergy; 10th November 2013 at 3:59 AM.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo



  19. #519
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Now that would be good!
    When you make a character, you choose rookie, seasoned, veteran or champion modes.
    Rookie would be what X and Y currently are.
    Seasoned - +5 lvs to every pokemon trainers and gyms /e4 have.
    Veteren - +7 lvs, smarter AI, lower exp gain.
    Champion - +12 lvs, even smarter AI, lower exp gain, and possibly more pokemon in gym teams (2 more for challenge)
    Friend code for pokemon X version-2062-9195-3159
    Safari Type: Ghost.......... ( apparently )
    Found in said safari: shuppet, phantump and driftblim...... ( wonder if anyone got something different )
    Please add me, and send me your friend code via message and i shall add you
    VS recording: single battle, oops i only took 3 pokemon!!!! Code:s8wg-wwww-wwwx-mtbh (all caps lock apparently)
    Please watch and have a laugh at my very silly mistake!!!

  20. #520
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Listening to Punk Rock
    Posts
    785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Challenge Mode wasn't even hard. Because everyone had inflated levels, you'd get more experience because of the experience mechanic exclusive to Gen V. You COULD probably struggle with Cheren, but after that, not so much.
    There is a challenge mode. Turn EXP Share off. I used it, finished the game in 16 hours, my mate turned it off, took him 36
    And baby, if I choke things down for a second
    Then maybe I can starve this tragedy

    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend A_K View Post
    What are you, daft? Since when does Shuckle need an item?

  21. #521
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Here, duh.
    Posts
    466

    Default

    I can't even remember the gym leaders/battles enough to rank them by difficulty. Literally can't. It kills me how GF hasn't done anything interesting with the Gym Leader concept since Black/White. What happened to that? It was awesome having to help each one out before you got to fight them, and actually have them be plot-relevant!

  22. #522
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Smash Run
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    My order of difficulty with the gym leaders would be:

    Clemont -> Valarie -> Olympia -> Ramos -> Viola -> Wulfric -> Korrina -> Grant.

    While I had no problems with Mawile and Mr. Mime, only my Doublade was strong enough to muscle through Valarie's Sylveon with Skrelp being in the same boat. Ramos also KO'd my Fletchinder and Floette with his Gogoat and Braixen barely took it out when I had to rely on Ember where I left out Honedge and Hawlucha to give me more of a challenge. Olympia is in the same boat but both Meowstic & Slowking gave me trouble. Viola wasn't hard but her Surskit wasn't an easy win for me. Wulfric and Korrina only did damage to my team but other than that, no Pokémon was fainted where Grant was laughable since I used Karate Chop from Hawlucha and won within two turns. Just two Karate Chop's were enough to win but if I hadn't used him, I would have a more difficult time.

    Clemont I already explained about my troubles a couple posts back so I won't discuss my match with him.

    So what about the E4? How would you rank them in terms of how difficult they were to you?

    My order is Siebold -> Wikstrom -> Malva -> Drasna.

    The latter I didn't have much problems with but I nearly lost to Siebold because of his Gyarados getting two Dragon Dances and Waterfall'ing three of my members before going down by my Aegislash.


  23. #523
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    with a shuckle
    Posts
    205

    Default

    so i'm not he only one who didn't think the leaders weren't that memorable this time around.at the very least 5th gen leaders i was like"geez,i would have never beat *insert gym leader here* if i didn't have *insert pokemon here*".probably because the exp share,and my team accidentally had something to hose each gym leader.the most memorable for me was valerie.but only because *shudders* the doll eyes.and for the order of personal difficulty at the time:
    grant> everyone else
    do the shuckle sweep
    white 2 champion/ white champion/second white 2 game champion/3rd white 2 champion/4th planned white 2 champion
    / /
    //


    credit to froststorm

  24. #524
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Dragon Roost Island
    Posts
    5,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    Yeah, they weren't that challenging, but nearly all of them had a single Pokemon that could cause trouble. Grant's Amaura's Refridgerated Take Downs hit like a truck. I was also stuck in the Anistar Gym so I ended up battling Olympia with a weak team. Then Ramos' Gogoat and Wulfric's Abomasnow were annoying to get by.
    I really wish that they had given Wulfric more dual-typed Ice Pokemon like Abomasnow because pure Ice is such a poor typing for the final Gym. Mamoswine would have been a perfect choice to replace Cryogonal.

    Quote Originally Posted by YourPermanentRecord631 View Post
    So what about the E4? How would you rank them in terms of how difficult they were to you?
    Siebold's Clawitzer > Siebold/Drasna/Wikstrom/Malva

    I really had no difficulty with the Elite Four. Siebold's Clawitzer caught me off guard with its Mega Launcher attacks and I recall Drasna's Noivern being kind of tricky, but apart from that I OHKOed or 2HKOed pretty much all of their Pokemon. Diantha was no different, her Goodra was the only thing that gave me any trouble and that was mainly because most of my team were special attackers.

  25. #525
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Luminoise City
    Posts
    313

    Default

    I have no trouble with any of the gym leaders. I was sad that they were so easy. Why isn't there a easy-hard mode in xy?


Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •