Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym Leaders & Elite Four Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ConUxie223 View Post
    Has anyone else realized that each Champion past and present are capable of using Mega-Evolution on at least one of their Pokémon?

Blue- Mega Alakazam, Mega Gyarados, Mega Aerodactyl

Lance- Mega Gyarados, Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Charizard

Wallace- Mega Gyarados (He could be used a lot...)

Cynthia- Mega Garchomp, Mega Lucario,

Alder- Wow, he's actually the only exception from this... Then again he wasn't really much of a Champion to start with :/

Iris- Mega Aggron

Diantha- Mega Gardevoir (obviously)

So yeah, every Champion except Alder could use Mega Evolution even Red since he has every Kanto starter
    You missed champion Stephen from Ruby/Sapphire. He could have used Mega Aggron.

But I just thought about something, a Medicham can almost solo the Elite Four of X/Y if it has Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Force Palm/Drain Punch, and something to handle the fire trainer. Wouldnt know how well it would do against the champion. Is there a single pokemon that can solo the entire elite four and champion like Blaziken could in Ruby?
    Last edited by Buttons; 26th December 2013 at 12:10 PM.
    Mainly on from 12a EST to 6a EST. Please don't VM me, I rarely check them.

At 85/100 friends, so I'm being a little more selective of the safaris I add. Usually this amounts to me asking what your 3DS ID name is.
    I have access to all starters from all generations, HA for only gen 1 and 6. Send a PM if there's one you want.

My 3DS ID is 1306-6462-3876
    In game name X-Jacob Y-Sam
    Safari: Growlithe - Charmelion - Braixen

Quote Originally Posted by ConUxie223 View Post
    Alder- Wow, he's actually the only exception from this... Then again he wasn't really much of a Champion to start with :/
    His hair is a Mega Evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttons View Post
    You missed champion Stephen from Ruby/Sapphire. He could have used Mega Aggron.

But I just thought about something, a Medicham can almost solo the Elite Four of X/Y if it has Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Force Palm/Drain Punch, and something to handle the fire trainer. Wouldnt know how well it would do against the champion. Is there a single pokemon that can solo the entire elite four and champion like Blaziken could in Ruby?
    His name was Steven actually, but yeah, I pretty much agree with the gist of your post. I found the Kalos Elite Four to be really easy and I might actually try and use just one Pokemon to solo them in the future. I actually used just Blaziken against the Hoenn Elite Four in Sapphire, so I want to repeat the process in X version.

My favorite gym leader in this generation was Valerie. Viola follows close behind though. I feel Clemont was nothing like in the anime.
    FORMER Fairy Gym Leader
    Alvar Badge
    Elve Badge
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge) FairyWitch(userbar)

the elite four was weak I beat them in one try only siebold was a challenge and especially the champion diantha was really weak. I beat her Goodra, Tyrantrum and Hawlucha with one attack ko from my mega charizard X using dragon claw, I then beat her Gourgeist and Aurorus with one flare blitz each, so I beat 5 of her pokemon with mega charizard X doing a KO each time! I then switched my mega charizard X for the last pokemon and used talonflame which beat her mega gardevoir using 3 steel wings! My point is that this time the champion was no challenge at all or the elite four which is disappointing.
    White 2 Friend code : 1508-0208-9881
    Pokémon X Friend Code: 0275-7830-7079

Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    His name was Steven actually, but yeah, I pretty much agree with the gist of your post. I found the Kalos Elite Four to be really easy and I might actually try and use just one Pokemon to solo them in the future. I actually used just Blaziken against the Hoenn Elite Four in Sapphire, so I want to repeat the process in X version.
    After level 80 my Medicham could solo the entire elite four and the champion. The only tricky things are the Probopass and Aegislash from the Steel trainer. My Medicham build was:
    Medicham - Pure Power
    Medichamite 31/31/31/x/31/x max EV in speed and attack, remainder in HP
    Ice Punch
    Thunder Punch
    Brick Break
    Zen Headbutt
    Mainly on from 12a EST to 6a EST. Please don't VM me, I rarely check them.

At 85/100 friends, so I'm being a little more selective of the safaris I add. Usually this amounts to me asking what your 3DS ID name is.
    I have access to all starters from all generations, HA for only gen 1 and 6. Send a PM if there's one you want.

My 3DS ID is 1306-6462-3876
    In game name X-Jacob Y-Sam
    Safari: Growlithe - Charmelion - Braixen

Only fought Viola so far, but she was an utter joke. Partly because my Fletchling was Lv. 14 by the time I reached her, but that was still too easy even with that in mind. I had more problems with the first trainer using Supersonic than anything Viola threw at me.

Also, not being able to leave the gym until you beat Viola is just plain evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Something I just realized while looking back at Pokemon XD, Chobin and Clemont are very similar in appearance (The glsses at least bear some resemblance) and their inventive personalities. Probably just a coincidence, but looking back at XD, X/Y did a lot of the same things XD did! It was technically the first 3D Pokemon game (Well, Colosseum was, but XD was its sequel) even if it wasn't on a handheld. I also noticed how Pokemon said B2/W2 were the first sequels while XD was... No, maybe G/S/HG/SS was... Do you think Pokemon is ignoring Pokemon XD and Colosseum? They were GREAT games, I don't know why they would. I'd ike to see some kind of remake (Pokemon XD HD?) made for Wii U but we still don't have Pokemon games on Virtual Console so probably not -_-

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Only fought Viola so far, but she was an utter joke. Partly because my Fletchling was Lv. 14 by the time I reached her, but that was still too easy even with that in mind. I had more problems with the first trainer using Supersonic than anything Viola threw at me.

Also, not being able to leave the gym until you beat Viola is just plain evil.
    Actually, you could leave by going back to the rope and interacting with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    Actually, you could leave by going back to the rope and interacting with it.
    Really? I tried that and it didn't work.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

I found this E4 to be a severe disappointment. I went in with my pokemon at level 62, and one at 65. I managed to wipe through all their teams, and the champion was really easy. My Florges was able to one-shot 4 of her pokemon. Their rooms were very well done, as each represented the member very well. The trickest member for me was Siebold, as his Gyrados managed to get in a Dragon Dance.
    I am incredibly let down by the fact that their is no increase in levels for the rematch and I wish mega-evolution would have played more of a role with their teams. I hope we get back to having to battle the E4 in a certain order soon because that allowed for increases in the difficulty level of the battle.

The gym leaders were okay, although they had no part in the storyline. The only one that was mildly significant was Korrina, and she had a developed personality.
    The least memorable was Olympia for me. The gym was cool but she was a let down. Again, I would love for rematches with them like in HGSS in the Fighting Dojo. I hope with the next set of games Challenge Mode reappears from the beginning so you can use it without having to delete your save file.

Really? I tried that and it didn't work.
    You have to go one tile further, and then press A and Up simultanously to go up again, I realized it when someobdy else here was vague on how to leave, so just did some trying, and that seemed to work.

Beat all of the gym leaders. For the most part, they were pathetically easy and I swept through them. The only one that wasn't was Valerie's, her team was designed to counter Fairy's weaknesses. I can only imagine how much trouble you must have had if you went in knowing nothing about Fairy type, because I don't remember the game really teaching you what its weaknesses are. Everything else, though, wasn't remotely a challenge. Even less so later in the game because it seemed like the trainer levels were a bit low (or conversely, my Pokemon's levels were climbing too high, most likely because of Exp Share) and I was about 6 levels above everything by the time I got to Anistar City. I also found them to be fairly unmemorable for reasons I don't quite understand (probably a combination of the low difficulty, uninteresting personalities, and not much of a role in the storyline). Haven't fought the Elite 4 yet, but I should get there soon.

Beat all of the gym leaders. For the most part, they were pathetically easy and I swept through them. The only one that wasn't was Valerie's, her team was designed to counter Fairy's weaknesses. I can only imagine how much trouble you must have had if you went in knowing nothing about Fairy type, because I don't remember the game really teaching you what its weaknesses are. Everything else, though, wasn't remotely a challenge. Even less so later in the game because it seemed like the trainer levels were a bit low (or conversely, my Pokemon's levels were climbing too high, most likely because of Exp Share) and I was about 6 levels above everything by the time I got to Anistar City. I also found them to be fairly unmemorable for reasons I don't quite understand (probably a combination of the low difficulty, uninteresting personalities, and not much of a role in the storyline). Haven't fought the Elite 4 yet, but I should get there soon.
    Yeah...the EXP Share really crushes the difficulty of the game. It's basically the easy button for X/Y, since your levels climb so high by the end (even more so if you get the event Torchic and catch everything you see). Avoiding the EXP Share at all times helps the game not be so easy, and leaders like Korrina actually have a chance to pose as a challenge.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Quote Originally Posted by Psynergy View Post
    Yeah...the EXP Share really crushes the difficulty of the game. It's basically the easy button for X/Y, since your levels climb so high by the end (even more so if you get the event Torchic and catch everything you see). Avoiding the EXP Share at all times helps the game not be so easy, and leaders like Korrina actually have a chance to pose as a challenge.
    Not to mention if you max out all your Pokemon's affection on Pokemon Amie. Talk about OP. lol

FC: 4699-6505-4258

IGN: Diva

Now that I think about it, it's not the Exp Share, because that didn't really happen until late in the game and I had it on pretty much the entire time. It's more that they didn't make the levels high enough. I probably still would've breezed through the game if I had it off, just with more grinding in between. Either way, I'm definitely keeping Exp Share off next game.

Quote Originally Posted by cascadethewarrior View Post
    Not to mention if you max out all your Pokemon's affection on Pokemon Amie. Talk about OP. lol
    Yeah, my Sylveon is evading attacks and getting critical hits left and right in this game.

Speaking of extra features, I don't even want to imagine how much easier it gets if you use Super Training. I haven't even touched that yet.

Now that I think about it, it's not the Exp Share, because that didn't really happen until late in the game and I had it on pretty much the entire time. It's more that they didn't make the levels high enough. I probably still would've breezed through the game if I had it off, just with more grinding in between. Either way, I'm definitely keeping Exp Share off next game.

Yeah, my Sylveon is evading attacks and getting critical hits left and right in this game.

Speaking of extra features, I don't even want to imagine how much easier it gets if you use Super Training. I haven't even touched that yet.
    Eh, I think the levels themselves were fine as they were. I had the EXP Share on until about Shalour, where I outleveled Korrina by 3 levels. This trend of being overleveled didn't end until after Clemont. The game did just give the player access to so many features that could let you break the game, though. At least it's easy enough to avoid them if you don't want them.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

It's certainly helpful (Having a fully EV trained Pokemon before the first Gym was pretty much unheard of after all), but at the same time, it's woefully inefficient as far as time is concerned. Super Training is pretty slow, but if you're willing to dump an hour or two into it to give your Pokemon an early EV advantage, it really shows in the long run.

Not that the Gym Leaders were difficult without it. XY definitely had some of the easiest Gym Leaders I've faced in a long time. Not having a post-game enhanced Elite Four was a bit of a letdown as well.

I guess they don't make 'em like Whitney's Miltank anymore
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Eh, I think the levels themselves were fine as they were. I had the EXP Share on until about Shalour, where I outleveled Korrina by 3 levels. This trend of being overleveled didn't end until after Clemont. The game did just give the player access to so many features that could let you break the game, though. At least it's easy enough to avoid them if you don't want them.
    I think I've figured it out now, actually. The Exp Share basically makes it so you level up exactly where you need to be at that point in the game. What throws things off is when you have optional areas in the game, the extra trainers there shoot your Pokemon's levels up when you progress through them. And there's two optional areas in that section of the game with tons of trainers: Rt. 16 and Lost Hotel. So basically Exp Share + nonlinearity screws up the pacing.

I think I've figured it out now, actually. The Exp Share basically makes it so you level up exactly where you need to be at that point in the game. What throws things off is when you have optional areas in the game, the extra trainers there shoot your Pokemon's levels up when you progress through them. And there's two optional areas in that section of the game with tons of trainers: Rt. 16 and Lost Hotel. So basically Exp Share + nonlinearity screws up the pacing.
    Hm, optional areas alone could contribute to something, actually. I don't think I considered it before, but X/Y does throw a fair amount of extra areas in your way. Along with the likes of Terminus Cave and a few others, there really are a lot of things that can throw off the game's pacing. Given that there are so many options as well, it seems very easy for the pacing of the game to get thrown off.

On those optional, areas, though, I believe that Game Freak derped on Waterfall areas, Abundant Shrine style. On Route 22, there's an area that requires Waterfall that leads to TM Earthquake. You get Waterfall right before Wulfric, yet the few trainers available there are in the level 30 range. Curiously enough, those trainers use fully evolved Pokemon, whereas trainers you'd normally fight at that level don't throw evolved Pokemon at the point in the game.

I think I've figured it out now, actually. The Exp Share basically makes it so you level up exactly where you need to be at that point in the game.

What throws things off is when you have optional areas in the game, the extra trainers there shoot your Pokemon's levels up when you progress through them. And there's two optional areas in that section of the game with tons of trainers: Rt. 16 and Lost Hotel. So basically Exp Share + nonlinearity screws up the pacing.
    Judging by literally everyone I know whose used it the entire game and being 10 or more levels above the competition not even counting the side areas, nnnnnot really.

In my run of X, I didn't use the EXP share at all up until Clemont. I was, easily, about 3-4 levels or so behind on at least several of my dudes (I distinctly remember freaking out over a level 34 Ampharos), and I'm not one to rush through things.
    I turned on the exp share for all of one, one and a half routes (I can't remember if I turned it off at the gym or in the middle of it) so my pokemon who were on the cusp of evolving would get to their final stages (including my starter!) and within that time frame I managed to outlevel Valerie (well maybe not her Sylveon, can't quite remember)

I turned it off right after and managed to even out for the climax & end game (I was ~59 for the e4, I believe), but like all my friends were in their mid60s by the final flare stuff and presumably in their 70s for the e4.
    From what I've heard of other people, this is pretty common.

e: Compare to my current Y playthrough, which is actively using the Exp Share and I'm already nearing Grant's levels before entering the zubat roost and outleveling most people
    I even swapped out my starter temporarily and keep bringing in new dudes as they suit my fancy

e2: To be clear: WIthout exp share, i never made a point to actively grind. Pre-Viola was basically the only time and that was just in a attempt to get, like, moves on these things.

Hm, optional areas alone could contribute to something, actually. I don't think I considered it before, but X/Y does throw a fair amount of extra areas in your way. Along with the likes of Terminus Cave and a few others, there really are a lot of things that can throw off the game's pacing. Given that there are so many options as well, it seems very easy for the pacing of the game to get thrown off.
    So did Unova, and I didn't really have pacing problems in that game. It's both of them working together, it seems.

On those optional, areas, though, I believe that Game Freak derped on Waterfall areas, Abundant Shrine style. On Route 22, there's an area that requires Waterfall that leads to TM Earthquake. You get Waterfall right before Wulfric, yet the few trainers available there are in the level 30 range. Curiously enough, those trainers use fully evolved Pokemon, whereas trainers you'd normally fight at that level don't throw evolved Pokemon at the point in the game.
    Doesn't Waterfall not require a badge to use? That's why, you could trade a Pokemon that knows it and use it as soon as you beat Korrina.

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    Judging by literally everyone I know whose used it the entire game and being 10 or more levels above the competition not even counting the side areas, nnnnnot really.

In my run of X, I didn't use the EXP share at all up until Clemont. I was, easily, about 3-4 levels or so behind on at least several of my dudes (I distinctly remember freaking out over a level 34 Ampharos), and I'm not one to rush through things.
    I turned on the exp share for all of one, one and a half routes (I can't remember if I turned it off at the gym or in the middle of it) so my pokemon who were on the cusp of evolving would get to their final stages (including my starter!) and within that time frame I managed to outlevel Valerie (well maybe not her Sylveon, can't quite remember)

I turned it off right after and managed to even out for the climax & end game (I was ~59 for the e4, I believe), but like all my friends were in their mid60s by the final flare stuff and presumably in their 70s for the e4.
    From what I've heard of other people, this is pretty common.

e: Compare to my current Y playthrough, which is actively using the Exp Share and I'm already nearing Grant's levels before entering the zubat roost and outleveling most people
    I even swapped out my starter temporarily and keep bringing in new dudes as they suit my fancy

e2: To be clear: WIthout exp share, i never made a point to actively grind. Pre-Viola was basically the only time and that was just in a attempt to get, like, moves on these things.
    I pretty much figured that, but that's not really my point. I'm looking at four scenarios:

#1: Exp Share on, fight all trainers

#2: Exp Share on, only fight mandatory trainers

#3: Exp Share off, fight all trainers

#4: Exp Share off, only fight mandatory trainers

What I'm saying is that only #1 really screws up the pacing. I don't think looking at just the Exp Share gives the full picture here.

Doesn't Waterfall not require a badge to use? That's why, you could trade a Pokemon that knows it and use it as soon as you beat Korrina.
    According to Bulbapedia, you do need them again. I don't recall anyone in the game saying you needed a specific badge, though. Chances are I missed it when it was said, or there may have been some random NPC somewhere that talks about it.

According to Bulbapedia, you do need them again. I don't recall anyone in the game saying you needed a specific badge, though. Chances are I missed it when it was said, or there may have been some random NPC somewhere that talks about it.
    I recall Shauna saying you DON'T need the Iceberg Badge to use Waterfall when she gives it to you. Most of the NPCs who give you HMs do in fact tell you which badge you need to use them when you get them (IIRC, you need the Bug Badge for Cut, the Cliff Badge for Strength, and the Rumble Badge for Surf. I don't think anyone ever mentioned needing a badge for Fly, but you can easily guess you need the Plant Badge). So either Waterfall is an exception to the rule or Shauna is wrong. I never got to test it, though.

I recall Shauna saying you DON'T need the Iceberg Badge to use Waterfall when she gives it to you. Most of the NPCs who give you HMs do in fact tell you which badge you need to use them when you get them (IIRC, you need the Bug Badge for Cut, the Cliff Badge for Strength, and the Rumble Badge for Surf. I don't think anyone ever mentioned needing a badge for Fly, but you can easily guess you need the Plant Badge). So either Waterfall is an exception to the rule or Shauna is wrong. I never got to test it, though.
    Hm, indeed she does. That's odd. Maybe translation wasn't clear enough, and she meant just within the context of battle? Or not, Pokemon games don't really make mistakes like that in translation, so that's probably not it. I guess you never actually need Waterfall to progress anywhere, but that still doesn't explain why that area in Route 22 had such low level trainers. Even if you could trade something with Waterfall, they could have made those trainers any level they wanted. I suppose there's the off chance you used a Seaking, which learns Waterfall, but that's at level 40 and it would be an odd reason. Of course, it could just be as simple as Bulbapedia is mistaken there, since it is just created by fans.

Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast