Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym Leaders & Elite Four Thread

Also, am I the only 1 who thought there was a strangely large gap between the first and second gyms? I'm not totally sure why, but it just seemed that way to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Champion Silver View Post
    Also, am I the only 1 who thought there was a strangely large gap between the first and second gyms? I'm not totally sure why, but it just seemed that way to me.
    Everyone noticed that.

But to make up for that, the large gap also includes a really big variety of Pokemon choices to pick from.

As much as the game was fairly easy and the amount and battles with the gym leaders were fairly underwhelming, I actually really like this game's gym leaders! They had a lot of character to them and not easily forgettable. Seeing them outside their gyms like Wulfic was just so cool and makes me love a gym leader or E4 member even more.

I was a tiny bit disappointed at the champion's lack of action during the game, but their room was beautiful, amazing music and actually a really cool team!
    I do love each of the E4s because of their characteristics and seeing them in the battle Chateau was a really nice touch!
    Has left Serebii forums.

It was large, but I liked it. I didn't have to worry about the next Gym battle for a while after beating Viola and it gave me a chance to develop my team and enjoy the game a lot more over all. I also think there was a pretty sizable gap between the seventh and eighth Gyms, or maybe it's just because I played really slowly during that point in the story line.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttons View Post
    From seeing her in the labs, kinda points to her being an admin of their Organization. She knew passcodes that only 'certain admins' knew about.
    "You'll find Xerosic in the lab. It's a secret floor that only certain admins know about."
    "You'll need to take the elevator. I'll just enter the special password on this panel here... And voilŕ! Now you have access to the secret floor of Lysandre Labs. You should find Xerosic and his Essentia there. The rest I leave to you. The secret floor has the same layout as this one. You defeated Team Flare once, right? Then this should be a piece of cake. Oh. And one last thing... Tell that partner of yours... Tell that infuriating man... Yes, tell him I fulfilled my end of the bargain. And he should keep in mind what will happen to him if he doesn't do the same. Good day."
    agreed. come to think of it, its heavily implied that shes an admin because with such a high rank as a trainer, it wouldnt make sense to have her be just a grunt or what have you. but i see others' points since its not confirmed directly in any way that she is an admin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive
    We all stand in single file line, and we have all been born into it.

I was seriously hoping something would happen with the other Elites (Wikstrom being related to Shabboneau Castle, Drasna being a regular at Victory Road or Anistar's sundial, Siebold being a cook for Restaurant Le Wow and battling you after a certain amount of times visting or anything like these).
    I think Malva is just more promoted because she's a HollowCaster anchor (?).

Quote Originally Posted by PinkiePieFox View Post
    As much as the game was fairly easy and the amount and battles with the gym leaders were fairly underwhelming, I actually really like this game's gym leaders! They had a lot of character to them and not easily forgettable. Seeing them outside their gyms like Wulfic was just so cool and makes me love a gym leader or E4 member even more.
    Seriously?

I found them all to have really bland personalities and didn't really do much (especially compared to 5th gen). Also, most of them didn't really do much except Korrina.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    It was large, but I liked it. I didn't have to worry about the next Gym battle for a while after beating Viola and it gave me a chance to develop my team and enjoy the game a lot more over all. I also think there was a pretty sizable gap between the seventh and eighth Gyms, or maybe it's just because I played really slowly during that point in the story line.
    Yeah I definitely think it made forging and developing a in-game team quite a bit easier too. And yeah I do think there was a pretty big gap, mainly due to the whole Team Flare fiasco.

Yeah I definitely think it made forging and developing a in-game team quite a bit easier too. And yeah I do think there was a pretty big gap, mainly due to the whole Team Flare fiasco.
    The gap was large by design

You had to, after beating Alexa:
    -Route 4
    -Lumoise, beat up Sycamore
    -Route 5
    -That one town before the breeding place
    -Parfum Palace
    -Route 6 proper (and then you could breed & battle chataeu forever and ever)
    -Connecting Cave
    -Take a rhydon to Glittering cave
    -Glittering Cave
    -Another route

In this time period you only meet team flare once, which is normal for these games.
    Most games only have one, maybe two routes between the first and second gyms, possibly with a cave (Mr. Moon, that one cave between gym 1 & floaroma)
    And these routes, while not super long, at least felt a little longer to explore thoroughly your first time through and then you had all those pokemon to catch

I finally defeated Diantha in my Y version. I used Haxorus, Manectric, Lapras, Roselia, Pyroar, and Steelix. My whole goal of my run was not to use Mega Evolutions until after defeating the main story and to capture at least 3 full boxes of Pokemon.
    FC: 1778-9489-4489 IGN: King Arceus
    Safari: Ferroseed, Klang, Bronzong
    Guides I've written:

VGC 2015 Season: 156 CP

Which gym did you all find the most challenging?
    For me it was Ramos by far :/ As a bug type trainer, I thought this gym would be easy, but NOPE all of a sudden acrobatics Jumpluff dances out of nowhere and sweeps my whole team. I've restarted X 4 times now, and I think I lost to him every time. Actually, I felt like all the gym leaders were a pretty good challenge this time, especially in contrast to black/ white XD There was no one I could just cut through like butter, everyone gave me a good battle, and I think I lost to each of them at least once. (which is a good thing) I also like most of their designs, (except Korrina... she looks like she's shoving her crotch in your face.) and all of them used at least one pokemon I like. (including Korrina this time.)
        Spoiler:- Bugs:

So I was building quite a nice winning streak on random wifi battles, having beaten my way through countless Garchomps, Volcoronas, Aegislash and Mega Blazikens. Then my streak was utterly broken by a Vivillon, who completely swept my team.

I laughed it off as a one off sort of thing, since the guy deserved props for using it after all. But just as I was starting to build another win streak another Vivillon trainer showed up and it happened again. I am living in perpetual fear that the next trainer I face will have a happy, smiling murder butterfly on their team.

Pokemon #666 indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnidae View Post
    For me it was Ramos by far :/ As a bug type trainer, I thought this gym would be easy, but NOPE all of a sudden acrobatics Jumpluff dances out of nowhere and sweeps my whole team. I've restarted X 4 times now, and I think I lost to him every time. Actually, I felt like all the gym leaders were a pretty good challenge this time, especially in contrast to black/ white XD There was no one I could just cut through like butter, everyone gave me a good battle, and I think I lost to each of them at least once. (which is a good thing) I also like most of their designs, (except Korrina... she looks like she's shoving her crotch in your face.) and all of them used at least one pokemon I like. (including Korrina this time.)
    well i think that will depend on what starter you choose, me i only found grant challenging since i picked fennekin, for olympia i didn't have a hard time defeating her except her slowking.

well i think that will depend on what starter you choose, me i only found grant challenging since i picked fennekin, for olympia i didn't have a hard time defeating her except her slowking.
    Haha yup, there's alot of random factors that determine how hard a gym will be XD Like if you use exp share or not (I never have..) and what pokemon you pick. Despite going through X 4 times, I've actually never trained a fire type, which is probably one of the reasons I thought Ramos was hard XD
        Spoiler:- Bugs:

So I was building quite a nice winning streak on random wifi battles, having beaten my way through countless Garchomps, Volcoronas, Aegislash and Mega Blazikens. Then my streak was utterly broken by a Vivillon, who completely swept my team.

I laughed it off as a one off sort of thing, since the guy deserved props for using it after all. But just as I was starting to build another win streak another Vivillon trainer showed up and it happened again. I am living in perpetual fear that the next trainer I face will have a happy, smiling murder butterfly on their team.

Pokemon #666 indeed.

None of the gym leaders really gave me serious trouble, but I had a hard time with Valerie when I tried to use my Scolipede against her Mr. Mime. It's kind of ironic that she's pretty much the only one to attempt to cover her weaknesses, since the game doesn't do a good job of teaching you what those weaknesses are in the first place.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

I found Korrina to be the toughest this time mainly because I didn't have any good psychic types to deal with her. At that time most of my Pokemon were both weak to fighting moves. I also was a bit underleveled with my Pokemon that were not weak to fighting moves. The other gyms were all easy for me.

The Elite four I did struggle a bit against Diantha, mainly because I wanted to avoid using my Steelix a lot since it was a considerably higher level than my other Pokemon. I lost a couple Pokemon against her where as the other elite four members I didn't lose any.
    FC: 1778-9489-4489 IGN: King Arceus
    Safari: Ferroseed, Klang, Bronzong
    Guides I've written:

VGC 2015 Season: 156 CP

I think Viola and Grant were the only hard ones, as I let Viola's Surskit set up to see it's animation, and soloing Grant with Amaura ended up being harder than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor dragonexpert View Post
    I found Korrina to be the toughest this time mainly because I didn't have any good psychic types to deal with her. At that time most of my Pokemon were both weak to fighting moves. I also was a bit underleveled with my Pokemon that were not weak to fighting moves. The other gyms were all easy for me.
    I would have got wrecked by Korrina too since I was also under leveled alot (most of my pokemon struggled with the first two pokemon because one or both had rock moves, making my vivillion with psybeam completely useless and making me have to use my other pokemon struggle to last against the team.) . However, I was fortunate enough to have a drifloon/drifblim (cant remember which) on my team, which made her hawlucha completely useless since it had no moves that could hit it.

Otherwise I also thought most of the gyms had a fair amount of challenge but never were super difficult (granted, some of the early gyms I could have got through easier had I used the exp share but still.)

I only had trouble in X and actually had to restart my team was so bad. I ended up getting murdered twice by a random trainer with a Hawlucha in Reflection Cave, so I reset my game and used a female Meowstic instead of a Diggersby. I kept the rest of my team the same and had very little problems after that. The only reason I didn't use Espurr on my first partial run is because the copy of X I'm using isn't really mine, and because I had a Meowstic on my main team in Y and I didn't want any shared Pokemon between the two. So I ended up using a female Meowstic since the on on Y is male, and it ended up being a lot easier. I didn't have any trouble with any gyms on that run, though, which I find interesting. They were all really easy, but the lack of a Flying gym makes Chesnaught that much more usable in-game.
    I find your lack of PerfectWorldShipping disturbing

I felt that the E4 were alarmingly easy compared to earlier generations. Perhaps not GenV, but definetly compared to GenIV - I dare say due to the fact that they all have teams of four, rather than the team of five they used to have prior to GenV.

Typically i've found the E4 to be a challenge when first arriving to challenge them, but this time on both X and Y I beat them all and Diantha from my "test the waters" run.
    Pokemon Y
    Kalos Gym Badges: 8 | Elite Four Wins: 1 | Pokedex: 213 | Time: 20:19

Pokemon X
    Kalos Gym Badges: 8 | Elite Four Wins: 1 | Pokedex: 208 | Time: 14:51

3DS Friend Code - 3024 - 6764 - 1919
    Friend Safari: Bug - Ledyba, Volbeat, Pinsir

The E4's ease this gen was likely to them being a little too thematic, especially when compared to gen4

Quote Originally Posted by Nykal View Post
    The E4's ease this gen was likely to them being a little too thematic, especially when compared to gen4
    I don't think pokemon selection mattered that much.

Gen 4's e4 had a few select annoying Pokemon but was otherwise not that hard either. Cynthia was only consistently hard fight.
    Especially not in DP (Aaron had Dustox & Beautifly!)

It has been a long time, but I had to share it : I had a lot of trouble to beat Grant. Even, I had trouble with the trainers before him because of my team : Braixen, Litleo and Floette if I remember correctly. I remember I'd been destroyed by a Lunatone before I challenge Grant. But personally, it was the only Gym Leader I had trouble with, only because my team had a real type disadvantage against him. During my playthrough, I always tried to keep a good level, not too overleveled because I saw the critics saying that it was very easy.
    Oh my Feebas !
    Newest Shiny !

Spoiler:- My Hunts and Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by Sealotic View Post
    It has been a long time, but I had to share it : I had a lot of trouble to beat Grant. Even, I had trouble with the trainers before him because of my team : Braixen, Litleo and Floette if I remember correctly. I remember I'd been destroyed by a Lunatone before I challenge Grant. But personally, it was the only Gym Leader I had trouble with, only because my team had a real type disadvantage against him. During my playthrough, I always tried to keep a good level, not too overleveled because I saw the critics saying that it was very easy.
    Well of course you would struggle with Grant if 2/3 of your team is weak to Rock and none of your Pokemon have an advantage against him. Unless your Floette knows a good Grass type move.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Well of course you would struggle with Grant if 2/3 of your team is weak to Rock and none of your Pokemon have an advantage against him. Unless your Floette knows a good Grass type move.
    Admittedly, Grant's gym as a whole was amazing in terms of variety. I remember at a party I went to on launch day, most of us [who weren't overleveled] all agreed that the trainer with a Relicanth was a pain to beat unless you had a grass type move on you.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Regirock

Quote Originally Posted by Psynergy View Post
    Admittedly, Grant's gym as a whole was amazing in terms of variety. I remember at a party I went to on launch day, most of us [who weren't overleveled] all agreed that the trainer with a Relicanth was a pain to beat unless you had a grass type move on you.
    Really? Guess it's a good thing I chose Chespin.

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast