Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym Leaders & Elite Four Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ruas View Post
    I kinda liked the idea of all the Elite 4 members being available at any order you want. It really gave the impression that they were all equals. Previous gens made it look like later members were superior to the earlier members. As for making it a challenge - there are so many ways it can be achieved, it all depends on one's play style.
    The difficulty shouldn't be sacrificed just for meaningfulness. If you take out the difficulty, you take out the fun.

At the end of the day, what gives you more satisfaction? Beating the League even though it was hard, or, beating the League even though their "grand status"? Obviously the first.

It's not the same. If you don't have a lot money, then you can buy only some medicine. Therefore, it's convenient for you to choose who you want to face first.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Edge View Post
    It's not the same. If you don't have a lot money, then you can buy only some medicine. Therefore, it's convenient for you to choose who you want to face first.
    How?

No matter what order you face the Elite 4, you're still going to have to pick Pokemon to use against each member, and you're still going to have to have enough gas left in the tank for Diantha at the end (if you somehow managed to not stockpile craptons of money during the main game). The difference that changing the order makes is miniscule; you may have a level or two up on an E4 fought later, or you may have a little less PP available if you used it all on the first few people. Regardless of what order they're challenged in, you still need to conserve your healing items and your Pokemon's health, and you still need to have a certain amount of experience and strategy on your side.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Neither of those are even obtainable in XY.
    I know. I'm just saying it would make more sense than Slowking.

Quote Originally Posted by Silicone View Post
    Oh... I enjoyed the gyms and the elite four this gen, its sort of like Unova's but better.
    Believe it or not, Ramos was the leader I remember having a hard time to battle against. He really dented my Butterfree and Ivysaur
    Siebold was the easiest in the Elite Four. QD Dustox . Is it just me or does he look like an Asian dude who dyed his hair yellow?
    Malva was kind of hard, shes the hardest for me..
    I found Ramos to be extremely easy the two times that I battled him. I always had a Fire-type and Flying-type on my team though, so that may explain it. I think I liked the Kalos Elite Four more than the Kalos Gym Leaders overall though. I mean Malva and Siebold's designs were fantastic and better than any Gym Leader design in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Edge View Post
    The difficulty shouldn't be sacrificed just for meaningfulness. If you take out the difficulty, you take out the fun.

At the end of the day, what gives you more satisfaction? Beating the League even though it was hard, or, beating the League even though their "grand status"? Obviously the first.

What gives me more satisfaction? Clearing the game and then actually getting to use all the game's features.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverevilchao View Post
    What gives me more satisfaction? Clearing the game and then actually getting to use all the game's features.
    Exactly. It's Pokemon. The only time Pokemon is ever naturally hard is in post-game battle facilities. Elite 4 is never hard, so beating a so-called "harder" Elite 4 really doesn't change the fact that it's still easy. B2/W2 Challenge Mode may be a bit more impressive, but I don't feel any more satisfaction from beating that than beating the Johto Elite 4 or Kalos Elite 4, or any other League.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Quote Originally Posted by Psynergy View Post
    The only time Pokemon is ever naturally hard is in post-game battle facilities.
    Hard? More like trolling hard.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Hard? More like trolling hard.
    Fake difficulty, real difficulty... it all blurs together.

Y'know I've been thinking about it lately. I'm reasonably sure the reason for "hax" in battle facilities is simply probability. When your streak gets high enough, through sheer numbers you're likely to have a crit or a miss or whatever pop up eventually.

...It's just that it usually happens, or at least seems to happen, at the worst possible moments.

*cough* But this is getting off track so I will agree with the original point that the in-game Gym Leaders and Elite Four are never truly "hard" due to the game giving you every conceivable advantage (liberal use of items, switching after KOs, outleveling opponents, non-properly EV trained opponents, etc.). Only the facilities really give opponents where the playing field is leveled, even if just a little bit more.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

If the Gym Leaders/Elite Four were ever "hard", it was because of a level difference and that was it. Which isn't really difficulty, it's Fake Difficulty that exists solely to get you to grind.

I enjoyed fighting the E4 in X far more than I did the E4 in LeafGreen. Because I can tell the difference between something being "hard" and something actually being hard. X E4 wasn't hard by any stretch of the imagination, but LeafGreen was that boring, banal, "we need to pad out the game's length" hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverevilchao View Post
    If the Gym Leaders/Elite Four were ever "hard", it was because of a level difference and that was it. Which isn't really difficulty, it's Fake Difficulty that exists solely to get you to grind.
    I disagree. That's not fake difficulty if it's a simple matter of levels.

Fake difficulty would be blurring your four move slots and scrambling the moves around in hopes of choosing an attacking move.

Hell, see Rayman Legends's Living Dead Party levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    I actually think that Grant and Wulfric should have been swapped. Rock has always been early (moving from first to second doesn't really change much) and Ice has always been a late game Gym so seeing them in different place would have been something different. Ice also could have been relatively challenging as an early Gym without the proper coverage.
    I don't think that would've helped that much to make Ice difficult considering you can already get those types by then (by the second gym you would have access to Flechinder, Pansear, Litleo, Lucario, Pancham, Scraggy, Honedge, Croagunk, Meditite, Mienfoo, Onix, Rhyhorn, Lunatone, Solrock, Ferroseed, Mawile, and Binacle). Now granted, a lot of these are either rare or would have to be obtained earlier, but odds are you're going to pick up at least one of these guys by then, so it still wouldn't be very challenging. But it would definitely be a more appropriate placement.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I don't think that would've helped that much to make Ice difficult considering you can already get those types by then (by the second gym you would have access to Flechinder, Pansear, Litleo, Lucario, Pancham, Scraggy, Honedge, Croagunk, Meditite, Mienfoo, Onix, Rhyhorn, Lunatone, Solrock, Ferroseed, Mawile, and Binacle). Now granted, a lot of these are either rare or would have to be obtained earlier, but odds are you're going to pick up at least one of these guys by then, so it still wouldn't be very challenging. But it would definitely be a more appropriate placement.
    Agreed. Also, it helps that Ice types as a whole outside a couple not counting Pokes of 'legendary' status have terrible Defense, along with 4 commonly used physical-based attacks/priority moves that make it a fairly easy victory, especially as the last gym when you've had plenty of time to obtain before-mentioned types. That gym would indeed be more difficult if it were earlier on.

I also actually like you're able to choose what order you fight the E4 in; it's more convenient for more. XD
    3ds FC: Mystica; 2621-3668-7527
    Safari: Electric; Electabuzz, Parchirisu, Galvantula {partially full}

Art belongs to me
    Preferred Battle Style: Rotation

now I kinda want an early Ice Gym, if only so we can get a GL whose ace is Delibird

Quote Originally Posted by Ruas View Post
    I kinda liked the idea of all the Elite 4 members being available at any order you want. It really gave the impression that they were all equals.
    Agreed.

Also, the increase in levels from the previous games made things a bit of a needless hassle to me.

Mostly because grinding in the older games is kinda "bleh".

RADIANT BLAZE ~

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Empoleon View Post
    Agreed.

Also, the increase in levels from the previous games made things a bit of a needless hassle to me.

Mostly because grinding in the older games is kinda "bleh".
    That would be more workable this gen, especially with the return of ExP Share and the whole group getting exp from the lead Poke.
    Plus with the Global Link/PMs it's fairly easy to acquire Rare Candies. :P
    3ds FC: Mystica; 2621-3668-7527
    Safari: Electric; Electabuzz, Parchirisu, Galvantula {partially full}

Art belongs to me
    Preferred Battle Style: Rotation

About the gyms in 6 generations is missing one dark type, but the high command is fantasitico is like the middle ages.

Is it me or was the E4 harder this gen? I always seem to have trouble with them, mostly Siebold. The Champion however was extremely easy for me.
    ☆ MAGINC'S SHINIES ☆

Quote Originally Posted by Maginc View Post
    Is it me or was the E4 harder this gen? I always seem to have trouble with them, mostly Siebold. The Champion however was extremely easy for me.
    Most people are going to disagree with you and say they were the easiet E4 yet, but I don't know if I'd say they were any harder or easier than any other E4. I've only heard of Siebold and Wikstrom giving people a tough time if anyone, though. I've also heard a fair bit about Diantha's Mega Gardevoir steamrolling entire teams. Though just like every gen before it, they make pretty interesting use of Pokemon's movepools. Klefki with Spikes? I don't think we've seen any E4 or Champion use a Spikes lead since Steven's Skarmory.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Quote Originally Posted by Artemabahamut View Post
    About the gyms in 6 generations is missing one dark type, but the high command is fantasitico is like the middle ages.
    Not sure what you mean by "high command", but I agree that we're way overdue for a Dark gym.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Maginc View Post
    I have to agree with Psynergy that I am one of those people who thought the elite four was kinda easy or in better words "not as challenging". I kinda miss each member having 6 pokemon instead of 4.

I really wish we could have seen more of them, character wise, in the story or around Kalos.
    3DS: 2509-2137-6109 Feel free to PM your FC for Friend Safari
    Friend Safari Type: Ghost Pokemon: Pumpkaboo and Lampent (unknown third).
    Pokedex: 719/719

Quote Originally Posted by SoulSilver Eric View Post
    I have to agree with Psynergy that I am one of those people who thought the elite four was kinda easy or in better words "not as challenging". I kinda miss each member having 6 pokemon instead of 4.
    The Elite 4 has never had 6 Pokemon except in post game rematches. But I do hate how they reduced the amount of Pokemon each gym leader and Elite 4 has, there's not much point to it even in trying to make them easier, the Pokemon choice and AI matters more than how many Pokemon they actually carry.

This Gen & last Gens E4 have been the easiest to me. As for the Champion of this region, I nearly beat her entire team with Xerneas's Moon Blast.

The Gym Leaders are okay but I found Wulfric to be the easiest to beat.( Korrina was only easy since I had a Honedge when I faced her) It is a shame we still do not have a Dark-type Gym, it gets a bit boring when they reuse types that were used for previous Gyms.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukuyomi56 View Post
    It is a shame we still do not have a Dark-type Gym, it gets a bit boring when they reuse types that were used for previous Gyms.
    Well there's only 18 types in the game, they have to repeat some types every game. What's really repetitious is when they put the same types at the same points in the game, but fortunately the gyms in this game didn't really use any of the annoying gym patterns present in past games (examples: Rock as 1st gym, Electric as 3rd, Flying or Steel as 6th, Ice as 7th, Dragon as 8th, etc.).

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435363738 ... LastLast