Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym Leaders & Elite Four Thread

This game wasn't all too challenging. Every gym leader, The Elite 4, and the Champion were complete pushovers.

Literally no gym matches posed a challenge.

Destroyed the whole Water member with two T-Bolts and two Seed Bombs. My Mamoswine completely swept the Dragon chick with an Earthquake and three Ice Fangs. Steel was brought down with a couple Power-Up-Punches and two Flame Charges. And my Clawitzer completely took a dump on Malva with three Surfs and a Dark Pulse. Champion was a similar story with my Mamoswine sweeping her entire lineup and Clawitzer finishing off her Gardervoir.

Fun game. Fantastic game. But very, very easy. My team wasn't even over-leveled as I turned off the Exp Share some time before the end of the game.
    Last edited by Streetlight; 18th October 2013 at 6:28 AM.

I <3 Quagsire

Quote Originally Posted by 725roy View Post
    A quick training question. Is there anywhere better to do post game grinding than the Elite Four? If not, getting things to 100 is going to be so tedious.
    I did elite 4 3 times and had a 100 lvl Delphox
    - note I had exp share on the whole game, I can imagine if I didn't that I might have got to 100 b4 elite 4

Yeah people keep saying to just turn EXP share off, but I think the ease is more than just that, like others here have mentioned.

Even around their level, you can one shot many of the elite four's pokemon. In previous games that was impossible unless you had an overleveled pokemon (i recall how tough Dewgong and Dustox and Umbreon were to take down).

I think it may be issues with stats balancing, the team set up, and AI as well. At least those are things on nintendo's side.

Yeah, the game was great otherwise but it really didn't offer much of a challenge compared to previous games. The Exp. Share made leveling up so easy that I was almost always at least 10 levels ahead of every Gym Leader. Elite 4 wasn't particularly challenging either and I swept all of them. The only one I had a mildly challenging time against was Diantha and even she was taken down fairly easily.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

And now we know.

Just finished the game and I have to say, I am underwhelmed at the level of difficulty everything went. Thanks to EXP. Share and Lucky Egg, my Pokémon were so buffed up that my Aurorus took a Focus Blast to the face by that adorable Goodra and survived; not one on my team was knocked out(and as long as I've been playing Pokémon, I have never been a very strong trainer). I was even challenging myself(being lazy) by not doing Super Training or Pokémon-Amie. Oh well. I did enjoy the story and I love all the characters. I must say Siebold's chamber was the best of the five.
        Spoiler:- >.>;:
    Last edited by Toy Soldier Mafia; 18th October 2013 at 11:48 AM.
    Broken Toys And Lost Joys~

Is there anyway to get the E4 to have higher levels like the past games?

Quote Originally Posted by momopeach View Post
    Yeah people keep saying to just turn EXP share off, but I think the ease is more than just that, like others here have mentioned.

Even around their level, you can one shot many of the elite four's pokemon. In previous games that was impossible unless you had an overleveled pokemon (i recall how tough Dewgong and Dustox and Umbreon were to take down).

I think it may be issues with stats balancing, the team set up, and AI as well. At least those are things on nintendo's side.
    It's not much different than before. I remember going into the Elite 4 of the past games at a reasonable level and having little trouble one-shotting with a super-effective move if I was on par with their team (not even a Nuzlocke changes that too much). The difference now is that they don't have a stupid level curve at the Elite 4 like they did in Gen 1-4, something that didn't exactly make the Elite 4 better but gave them a fake sense of difficulty. Trust me, if the Elite 4 was at a similar level as you in previous games, there would be little difference than the current one. Another huge factor here is going to be players getting generally smarter with their team and moves, as well as having greater access to TM's.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post

And now we know.
    Now the question is, where in Johto?
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    It's not much different than before. I remember going into the Elite 4 of the past games at a reasonable level and having little trouble one-shotting with a super-effective move if I was on par with their team (not even a Nuzlocke changes that too much). The difference now is that they don't have a stupid level curve at the Elite 4 like they did in Gen 1-4, something that didn't exactly make the Elite 4 better but gave them a fake sense of difficulty. Trust me, if the Elite 4 was at a similar level as you in previous games, there would be little difference than the current one. Another huge factor here is going to be players getting generally smarter with their team and moves, as well as having greater access to TM's.

What do you mean level curve? Like how each got progressively higher in level?

I haven't done this one yet, but I always was around the E4's level and had a challenge. I never use starters or legendaries, not even pseudo ones.

Perhaps Falkner's city as the place there is full of Chinese culture, or Ecruteak City.

So Valerie is from Johto? And she's also a fashion designer? Great. I wanted there to be a fashion designer-esque Gym Leader in Gen 6 so this works out perfectly. I also really like Valerie's Gym from the images that I've seen; that dollhouse-like design makes it look really interesting. Most of the Gym designs in these games are awesome mo.

Quote Originally Posted by momopeach View Post
    What do you mean level curve? Like how each got progressively higher in level?

I haven't done this one yet, but I always was around the E4's level and had a challenge. I never use starters or legendaries, not even pseudo ones.
    Yeah, and to me, that's not legitimate difficulty, since at equal levels you could potentially one-shot anything without Sturdy, regardless of the game. I also don't use legendaries, and excluding the times when I didn't know how to play the games, the Elite 4 has never been a legitimate challenge for me. I suppose we could look at a ton of other factors like number of Pokemon on their teams, moves, availability of Pokemon and TM's to you, but my point is, this Elite 4 doesn't seem to be that much different than previous ones. Different nonetheless, but not necessarily the worst thing we've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Perhaps Falkner's city as the place there is full of Chinese culture, or Ecruteak City.
    Ecruteak City actually seems plausible, though I'd wonder what might have led to modernization of fashion in Johto. Nice to see that other regions appear to be changing even after we've left them.
    Last edited by Psynergy; 18th October 2013 at 10:24 PM.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

Ecruteak City actually seems plausible, though I'd wonder what might have led to modernization of fashion in Johto. Nice to see that other regions appear to be changing even after we've left them.
    I think there's a good chance Valerie's from Ecruteak City now that you bring it up; the fact that she has a Sylveon might imply that she's related to the Kimono Girls.

Well I defeated the E4 like two days ago and I'll say it was at an intermediate difficulty for me. I ran out of Revives and Max Revives after defeating the Water Elite (name escapes me) and the Champion left to defeat. I got my Zephyr (Dennene) fainted so I only had five left on my team: Lucario, Delphox, Dragalge, Pidgeot, and Vivillon.

Decided to not even save as I faced the Champion and while in battle, I planned carefully as to not make her faint any of the five left. If any of them came to the red zone I simply switched out since I had little Hyper Potions (forgot to pack -_-). In the end I made it out alive XP I greatly enjoyed the battles though. I was on the edge quite a few times on the rest of the E4 because most of my team kept being fainted.

Truthfully my Pokemon were a bit over-leveled, but close to the E4 team levels.
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

Credit to Sworn Metalhead

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    I think there's a good chance Valerie's from Ecruteak City now that you bring it up; the fact that she has a Sylveon might imply that she's related to the Kimono Girls.
    Oh! I hadn't even thought of the fact that she has a Sylveon. That totally makes sense, and her appearance does seem to have some sort of resemblance to the Kimono Girls. Most of the gym trainers seem to match that kind of attire as well (as well as the music that plays when you encounter one of them), so it does seem quite possible. Right when I though she had nothing contributing to her character. I like Valerie more now just for that, but that still leaves poor Ramos and Olympia with nothing of note.

Oh! I hadn't even thought of the fact that she has a Sylveon. That totally makes sense, and her appearance does seem to have some sort of resemblance to the Kimono Girls. Most of the gym trainers seem to match that kind of attire as well (as well as the music that plays when you encounter one of them), so it does seem quite possible. Right when I though she had nothing contributing to her character. I like Valerie more now just for that, but that still leaves poor Ramos and Olympia with nothing of note.
    I liked Valerie from the start because of her design. She looks so pretty and I'm glad she's also a fashion designer. I really hope the Kimono Girl theory is proven in later games. I really like when Game Freak ties new characters and old characters together and I think there's strong evidence that Valerie could originate from Ecruteak City.

Is there any easier way to grind to level 100 other than E4?
    3DS FC: 1719-4338-7555
    Pokemon X Friend Safari: Fighting Type - Pancham, Mankey, Tyrogue

Quote Originally Posted by carmstrong View Post
    Is there any easier way to grind to level 100 other than E4?
    Battle Chateau. Just keep going and the trainers should reach the 50s and 60s and if you send a Writ then trainers will enter faster than you can beat them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Restaurant le wow is also a good place for leveling.
    FC is 4940-5550-1230

The E4 was challenging to an extent for me. My Pokemon were under-leveled because I didn't turn on Exp. Share or pointlessly grind, but I did have Exp. Share on during the E4 to get my team to a suitable level. Siebold was definitely the hardest, by far. His Clawitzer took out half my team with his impressive variety of pulse moves. I lost to Siebold my first try, but ended up beating him on my second. I wish Diantha was more challenging. Even though some of my Pokemon were almost 10 levels lower than a few of hers, I defeated her with ease with Greninja, Talonflame, and Noivern as my main powerhouses (speed kills her).

Focus Blast: "It's a good move with a secondary effect of hitting the opponent"

The difficulty level in this game is really getting on my nerves. I haven't had any problems with the Gym Leaders. Three Pokémon is far too low for a late Leader's roster; I was hoping that would have been changed from BW/BW2. I'm also finding myself to be several levels above their Pokémon. Plus, the Leader's ace has spent three turns boosting its stats on two occasions now, which allowed me to knock it out without receiving any damage.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyc View Post
    The E4 was challenging to an extent for me. My Pokemon were under-leveled because I didn't turn on Exp. Share or pointlessly grind, but I did have Exp. Share on during the E4 to get my team to a suitable level. Siebold was definitely the hardest, by far. His Clawitzer took out half my team with his impressive variety of pulse moves. I lost to Siebold my first try, but ended up beating him on my second. I wish Diantha was more challenging. Even though some of my Pokemon were almost 10 levels lower than a few of hers, I defeated her with ease with Greninja, Talonflame, and Noivern as my main powerhouses (speed kills her).
    Personally i found the E4 was too easy..maybe my team was a bit over-leveled..

I found the story of the game completely entertaining, but when it came to the challenge of the gym leaders and elite four. or even my rivals... I was less than pleased. I've beaten the game twice already, and I swept it both times with a team of five members only. By the time I reached Viola, my Frogadier was level 18 and got to level 19 by the end of the battle. When it came to Grant, I had Charmeleon, Gloom, and Tyrunt at level 30 (very easy sweep). Korina and the old man brought my team up to level fifty and Lucario at 45 by the time I was done. After that...Well...I was thirty levels above Diantha when I got to her...and my team is ALWAYS Starter only two levels higher than the rest...

The game is just WAY too easy to grind with the experience share turned on, so on my second playthrough, I turned it off, and with the same team...I still swept the Pokemon League pretty easily. I pretty much swept the entire Elite Four and Diantha with my Vileplume and Greninja with both of them at level 72 before we had started. And no, this is without HV/Super Training. The game is just...easy...in terms of training your team compared to past games. They said that Black and White was supposed to be the fresh start for beginners, but it feels like this game was made FOR beginners.

That's NOT saying I didn't enjoy this game. God-forbid I loved it, but...seriously Nintendo...We could have waited just a week or two longer for you to have given us even a semblance of a challenge.
    Kalos Champions
    Blue the Greninja, the true ninja
    Amber the Charizard, the transcending Mega Evolution
    Buddy the Vileplume, destroyer of Arceus and Mewtwos
    King the Tyrantrum, the tyrant of the fossils
    Hiro the Lucario, the sweeper of noobs

They probably wanted these games to be more accessible for the very casual players. but the new Exp Share made the ingame a cakewalk. Even post game stuff is made easier because of how overleveled your team will probably be. It does make training other Pokemon a lot easier though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    The difficulty level in this game is really getting on my nerves. I haven't had any problems with the Gym Leaders. Three Pokémon is far too low for a late Leader's roster; I was hoping that would have been changed from BW/BW2. I'm also finding myself to be several levels above their Pokémon. Plus, the Leader's ace has spent three turns boosting its stats on two occasions now, which allowed me to knock it out without receiving any damage.
    I agree. I've never been over leveled, but three Pokemon is really boring and doesn't create much of a challenge. Korrina is the only one I've had trouble with so far.

I was also kinda disappointed with how bland the Gym leaders are. For all its faults, BW at least had interesting characters as Gym leaders who actually like... did something. It's a let down that they went back to having barely any impact on the story line.

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Italia View Post
    They probably wanted these games to be more accessible for the very casual players. but the new Exp Share made the ingame a cakewalk. Even post game stuff is made easier because of how overleveled your team will probably be. It does make training other Pokemon a lot easier though.
    idk why people complain about it though, just turn it off if you think you're over leveled.

Page 8 of 41 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast