Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Gym Leaders & Elite Four Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    I was also kinda disappointed with how bland the Gym leaders are. For all its faults, BW at least had interesting characters as Gym leaders who actually like... did something. It's a let down that they went back to having barely any impact on the story line.
    Seconded. About the interesting Gym Leaders anyway.
    Kalos Champions
    Blue the Greninja, the true ninja
    Amber the Charizard, the transcending Mega Evolution
    Buddy the Vileplume, destroyer of Arceus and Mewtwos
    King the Tyrantrum, the tyrant of the fossils
    Hiro the Lucario, the sweeper of noobs

So, is Drasna Cynthia's cousin or little sister?
    #BuyUltraviolance

I was also kinda disappointed with how bland the Gym leaders are. For all its faults, BW at least had interesting characters as Gym leaders who actually like... did something. It's a let down that they went back to having barely any impact on the story line.
    The BW Gym Leaders are proud patriots who are willing to oppose the villain team of their region (unless your name is Marlon) to keep peace there.

Meanwhile, many of the XY Gym Leaders would rather sit in their Gyms doing mostly nothing, unless you're like Korrina, Clemont, and Wulfric. But even then, these three do squat against Team Flare who instead spy on their every move and     Spoiler:- :

The Power Plant is acting weird? Clemont can't apparently cross over because it's easier to run around like a headless chicken without going to the main source.

The Poke Ball Factory is in peril? Valerie is busy making super extravagant clothes.

The future of Kalos is in danger? Olympia would rather tell you about it than dealing with the two random Team Flare members right next to her Gym.

Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

Special: Ace Attorney - All Breakdowns (+ PL & PW:AA)

Quote Originally Posted by Takaru View Post
    ...Lol what? o.o Where'd this come from?
    Kalos Champions
    Blue the Greninja, the true ninja
    Amber the Charizard, the transcending Mega Evolution
    Buddy the Vileplume, destroyer of Arceus and Mewtwos
    King the Tyrantrum, the tyrant of the fossils
    Hiro the Lucario, the sweeper of noobs

I agree on how disappointing the Gym Leaders are, after DP and BW made an effort to make them stand out more as characters, it's very disappointing that they took a huge step back like that.
    Last edited by Taodragon; 19th October 2013 at 11:57 PM.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

Aside from their designs, I agree with them being very bland. BW had really interesting gym leaders that did more than just hand out a badge. That said I do give them points for awesome gym puzzles, interior design and the fact that the gym trainers were really diverse with their teams with no repeats on the same Pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by YourPermanentRecord631 View Post
    Aside from their designs, I agree with them being very bland. BW had really interesting gym leaders that did more than just hand out a badge. That said I do give them points for awesome gym puzzles, interior design and the fact that the gym trainers were really diverse with their teams with no repeats on the same Pokémon.
    Exactly. I actually am more impressed with all that they had going for them than I am disappointed by the lack of story impact. It's not unlike them to do this to gym leaders, after all, even if at this point, it feels like a step back. There was likely larger priorites with X/Y being the first 3D games, so I can forgive the lack of character, at least for X/Y.
    Last edited by Psynergy; 20th October 2013 at 12:10 AM.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    Exactly. I actually am more impressed with all that they had going for them than I am disappointed by the lack of story impact. It's not unlike them to do this to gym leaders, after all, even if at this point, it feels like a step back. There was likely larger priorites with X/Y being the first 3D games, so I can forgive the lack of character, at least for X/Y.
    I kind of disagree, there are other priorities to consider, but after what DP and BW went through to give us better and more fleshed out characters it's going to be a notable step back in that area. I can't say that the game being in 3D makes that excusable, particularly since the story elements aren't that related to the 3D or gameplay elements and games like Colloseum manage to balance out those elements pretty well despite also being the first 3D RPG on a console.

It's time to return to the old, soaring back to Hoenn!

Quote Originally Posted by Taodragon View Post
    I kind of disagree, there are other priorities to consider, but after what DP and BW went through to give us better and more fleshed out characters it's going to be a notable step back in that area. I can't say that the game being in 3D makes that excusable, particularly since the story elements aren't related to the 3D or gameplay elements and games like Colloseum manage to balance out those elements pretty well despite also being the first 3D RPG on a console.
    I don't mean to say the 3D was the only reason, nor that made them physically unable to focus on the story. It's just very likely that they decided to place their priorities elsewhere, and that character development fell back. Besdies, if we exclude that lack of character development from the game (and the broken EXP Share), everything else seems well done, so I'm not holding it against them. Why they decided to forego more developed characters is beyond me, but it's not like they didn't try in other areas of the game.
    Last edited by Psynergy; 20th October 2013 at 12:37 AM.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

It's not like they can't come up with a good story and character development. I can probably make a dozen fan fics and give the Gym Leaders better backstories in less than two weeks.

Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

Special: Ace Attorney - All Breakdowns (+ PL & PW:AA)

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    It's not like they can't come up with a good story and character development. I can probably make a dozen fan fics and give the Gym Leaders better backstories in less than two weeks.
    Well, definitely, but I'm not trying to make the point that they couldn't come up with a story, but that for whatever reason, they decided not to do so. And that furthermore, it shouldn't detract too much from what the rest of the game did well.

Isn't Drasna like an old lady?
    (template from Jerkfighter)

I really do like Wulfric's personality. Just met him in the the Battle Chateau and he said something along the lines of, "We all talk about bonds and battling, but really, I just do it 'cos it's fun!" Given how much you hear about bonds with pokemon and so on, It's refreshing to hear someone like him say that.

All credit to SM of Daedric Design for this awesome banner!

Y Team: Talonflame, Roserade, Aegislash, Goodra, Blaziken, Greninja
    3DS Friend Code: 1160 - 9940 - 3351
    Rock Type Friend Safari: Nosepass, Onix and Barbaracle.
    I has officially claimed

Drasna is probably about as old as Kalos itself lol

Friend Code: 5472 - 7362 - 2623
    Kalos Dex: 67/69 Complete
    Shiny's: 0

So, I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but...
        Spoiler:- :

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Impact View Post
    ...Lol what? o.o Where'd this come from?
    In game text that mention her Grandparents living in Celestial Town who talked about the time and space legendaries. Something Cynthia's grandparents also did, and happened to come from the same town.

Its hinted that they are related or have some type of relation, unless its just huge coincidence, but Gamefreak loves to connect Elite Four and Gym leaders together.
    #BuyUltraviolance

Quote Originally Posted by Odious View Post
    Drasna is probably about as old as Kalos itself lol
    I just remembered that she's the sage-like woman, so you're probably right. I can't see her being related to Cynthia to be honest. They look nothing alike for starters. She's probably just related to people in Celestic Town and it's possible that she knows Cynthia, but I doubt they're family.

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    I don't mean to say the 3D was the only reason, nor that made them physically unable to focus on the story. It's just very likely that they decided to place their priorities elsewhere, and that character development fell back. Besdies, if we exclude that lack of character development from the game (and the broken EXP Share), everything else seems well done, so I'm not holding it against them. Why they decided to forego more developed characters is beyond me, but it's not like they didn't try in other areas of the game.
    I don't understand why story would be affected by making the switch to 3D. Wouldn't that be handled by a separate staff of the development team?

I really liked the gym leaders and Elite Four, but I felt there was so much that could have been said that wasn't. They all seem like pretty interesting folks that we just don't get to know very much about, unless, especially, like these NPCs were in Gen 5.
    Pokemon Y
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7604-0905
    Type: Steel
    Pokemon: Skarmory, Magneton, Klefki

Kalos Dex Completion
    Finished!

Need help? Just let me know.

Goal is to complete dex before the release of Pokemon Box!

Valerie looks like a grey alien with those huge iris.

Just learned what Wikstrom says if you face him first: "Easy child. You need not explain why you came to me first. Nature herself has framed man as such a creature that any would choose to face their strongest enemy before all others." Lol, I just love how each elite four member has different attitudes.

Wikstrom: Confident, almost jolly.
    Malva: Cool but fiery.
    Drasna: Kind-hearted, pleasant.
    Siebold: Serious, pensive.

All credit to SM of Daedric Design for this awesome banner!

Y Team: Talonflame, Roserade, Aegislash, Goodra, Blaziken, Greninja
    3DS Friend Code: 1160 - 9940 - 3351
    Rock Type Friend Safari: Nosepass, Onix and Barbaracle.
    I has officially claimed

I thought the Gym Leaders/Elite Four and even the Champion lacked depth. They were generally disappointing and they weren't memerable at all. In B/W The first Gym leader becomes one of your closest friend/rivals and helps you throughout the game. These one's feel like they're just there because they need to be.
    Current Shiny Hunt:

Abra - 14 Boxes

Next Hunt:

Aron
    Ludicolo

I was really disappointed in that the E4 and Champion kept their team and same levels. But that is probably cause I didn't really "get" into Pokémon until Black/White and their sequels.
    Current Y Post-Game Team
    Xolotl - - - - - - - - - Tonatiuh - - - - - - - - Cinteotl
    Primary DS (Y): 2723-9667-2805, Steel Safari with Metang, Excadrill, Ferroseed
    Secondary DS (X): 4597-0899-1313, Grass Safari with Ivysaur, Oddish
    PM me once you add me and I'll add you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmack102 View Post
    I thought the Gym Leaders/Elite Four and even the Champion lacked depth. They were generally disappointing and they weren't memerable at all. In B/W The first Gym leader becomes one of your closest friend/rivals and helps you throughout the game. These one's feel like they're just there because they need to be.
    Really? I don't remember Chillian brothers helping out that much. ( heck they weren't even there when plasma sages confronted you in N's castle. )

Sir Agislash is here! Reporting for duty!

Quote Originally Posted by Morty05 View Post
    Really? I don't remember Chillian brothers helping out that much. ( heck they weren't even there when plasma sages confronted you in N's castle. )
    well because the triplet deal with the shadow triad ( BW2 ) that why they didn't come to N castle i think
    Welcome Gen VI

PIKACHU
    the mascot of pokemon franchise

i really liked the last gym. wulfric was an awesome leader with a great personality and i like the gym puzzle, i actually had to think about it unlike most of the gyms.
    The Doctor: 'People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually*
    from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.'
    In other words: Time is Complicated.
    Credit to epicjirachifan, Chapter of Charizard FairyWitch and Astaral Shadow of the Under

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast