Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: General Gameplay & Battle Mechanics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Yusuf View Post
    Considering that Wobbuffet has no actual offensive stats or moves, there is no point in changing the nature, as long as the IVs are sufficient.
    The only two instances that having an Attack dropping nature (Bold) over a Special Attack dropping nature (Impish) would come into play are:

1. If Wobbuffet is confused and hurts itself, it will do slightly less damage to itself if it is Bold,
    2. Foul Play will do a little more damage to Wobbuffet if it has an Impish nature.

I realize these are two examples are VERY situational, but are they worth the nature switch, competitively speaking?

3DS XL Friend Code: 1693 1773 2651
    2DS Friend Code: 0834 2371 7806
    Name: JEREMY

Quote Originally Posted by BNator92 View Post
    Like Gen 5, we get no rematches. I guess they're continuing to encourage the use of the Lucky Egg and grinding in the wild.
    You can battle gym leaders in the Battle Chateu, for those unaware.
    Friend Code 1332-8265-5455: Flying Type
    Pidgey-Woobat-Hawlucha
    Notable Pokemon I have from other safariis: Cloyster, Tyrogue, Togepii, Braixen, Flechinder, Larvesta, Frogadier, Tropius, Ditto, Gabite, Shelgon, Sliggoo, Noibat, Dragonair, Abra.

The Pitch Dark Pokemon Is My Name
    Eating Dreams To Keep Me Tame

Quote Originally Posted by WhyBuffet View Post
    The only two instances that having an Attack dropping nature (Bold) over a Special Attack dropping nature (Impish) would come into play are:

1. If Wobbuffet is confused and hurts itself, it will do slightly less damage to itself if it is Bold,
    2. Foul Play will do a little more damage to Wobbuffet if it has an Impish nature.

I realize these are two examples are VERY situational, but are they worth the nature switch, competitively speaking?
    Actually, thanks for reminding me of those situations. They are actually important cases, so the change is actually not trivial. If you can do it, then I have to suggest Bold. But if you don't want to bother, then Impish is still very nice.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360
    Quote Originally Posted by Teshub View Post
    I also read from the bulbagarden thread about the movie that Zorua impersonates Dawn and tries to show Dawn's butt to Ash. Fanservice, foreshadowing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    This show is called Pokemon, not Pochaman.. although that sounds almost the same..
    Youtube, DeviantArt, Bulbagarden, *******, Imageshack, Photobucket, Smogon, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

Actually, thanks for reminding me of those situations. They are actually important cases, so the change is actually not trivial. If you can do it, then I have to suggest Bold. But if you don't want to bother, then Impish is still very nice.
    But aren't they a little trivial though? I mean, the difference in Attack between the Impish and Bold nature is 11 (assuming perfect IV's across the board). In the long run, how often is that extra 11 points in Attack going to make or break a battle?

I know it may seem like I'm really hyper-analyzing this but I just want things for my Wobbuffet to be perfect (favourite Pokémon after all).

But aren't they a little trivial though? I mean, the difference in Attack between the Impish and Bold nature is 11 (assuming perfect IV's across the board). In the long run, how often is that extra 11 points in Attack going to make or break a battle?

I know it may seem like I'm really hyper-analyzing this but I just want things for my Wobbuffet to be perfect (favourite Pokémon after all).
    Since Wobbuffet has no true recovery and is weak to Foul Play it is rather important, but if you have Wish support I guess it doesn't matter much.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360
    I also read from the bulbagarden thread about the movie that Zorua impersonates Dawn and tries to show Dawn's butt to Ash. Fanservice, foreshadowing?
    This show is called Pokemon, not Pochaman.. although that sounds almost the same..
    Youtube, DeviantArt, Bulbagarden, *******, Imageshack, Photobucket, Smogon, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

Since Wobbuffet has no true recovery and is weak to Foul Play it is rather important, but if you have Wish support I guess it doesn't matter much.
    But in a practical, real world scenario, what Pokémon is going to use Foul Play?

But in a practical, real world scenario, what Pokémon is going to use Foul Play?
    Yeah, you are right. Most obvious cases would have been Liepard, Mandibuzz and Umbreon but all have access to Toxic and Swagger and will likely use them instead unless you Encore on Foul Play. Confusion damage is rather bad with all T-Wave/Swagger Prankster users running amock, though.

On an unrelated note to our discussion but a related note to this thread, shiny formula has been changed, allowing up to at least values below or equal to 12, meaning that the shiny rate is increased at least up to 12/65536, though most likely it is just outright doubled.
    Last edited by Trainer Yusuf; 5th November 2013 at 5:30 PM.

Yeah, you are right. Most obvious cases would have been Liepard, Mandibuzz and Umbreon but all have access to Toxic and Swagger and will likely use them instead unless you Encore on Foul Play. Confusion damage is rather bad with all T-Wave/Swagger Prankster users running amock, though.[/URL]
    Confusion is an issue yeah, but Impish or Bold, the damage Wobbuffet would be doing to itself would be minimal.
    EDIT: Plus, I would think Prankster users would want to Taunt Wobbuffet right from the get-go, making Wobbuffet completely useless regardless.

Anyway, I calculated my Impish Wobbuffet's IV's, and his Attack IV is 15. So his Attack works out to be lower than his Sp. Atk anyway, even with the Sp. Atk drop.
    So I'm fine with the Impish I think.

Yeah, you are right. Most obvious cases would have been Liepard, Mandibuzz and Umbreon but all have access to Toxic and Swagger and will likely use them instead unless you Encore on Foul Play. Confusion damage is rather bad with all T-Wave/Swagger Prankster users running amock, though.

On an unrelated note to our discussion but a related note to this thread, shiny formula has been changed, allowing up to at least values below or equal to 12, meaning that the shiny rate is increased at least up to 12/65536, though most likely it is just outright doubled.
    Well then i have rotten luck because I've done over 7k encounters on my X without a shiny

Yeah, prankster sets would be one of the most fun yet annoying abilities in the game.
    The only way to deal with it is to get something resistant/immune to its attacks, maybe hold a lum berry to give you some leeway, or magic bounce.

Torment actually works surprisingly well on Klefki. Due to it's typing, with its immunities and resistances, you can make it very hard for anything to take you down, especially if you catch it on a switch. Chances are, your opponent won't be able to use their super-effective move against you twice in a row while you set up a substitute to null the first hit. Then it can just work its magic with swaggering/foul play stuff.

Is this Pikachu can be viable in UU?

Item : Light Ball

Ability : Static

Nature : Jolly

EVs 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Fake Out
    Volt Tackle
    Brick Break
    Protect (there isn't other option)

Firstly, this is probably in the wrong section. If so I apologise.

I have a few questions about EV and SuperTraining.

I have a level 1 Bagon that's perfect Nature and has perfect IVs in HP, Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Speed. I'm now looking to EV Train it.

Finding a Pokemon with Pokerus seems like trying to find the lost city of Atlantis, so I thought I'd give SuperTraining a try.

Does anyone know if vitamins are needed to SuperTrain?

Also, and this is a more fundamental question, which is better and more accurate, standard EV Training or SuperTraining?

Thanks for the help.
    Proud Poison-type Club member!

"Despair to the creeping horror of Poison-type Pokémon!"

LOOKING FOR A DITTO FRIEND SAFARI. PLEASE PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE, THANKS!!

Either method works for EV training. Both will take time and it depends how patient you are.
    If you lack things like Pokerus, EV training equipment like macho brace, power bracer/lens, etc or don't exactly know what you're looking for on specific EVs, then super training might be more convenient for you.

Super training does not require vitamins to use, and can be done at anytime you want. But like before, you can only use vitamins on a Pokemon that hasn't gone over 100 EVs in that specific stat, or has already maxed out its EVs. So you can use vitamins first, then EV train for the rest to shorten the time.

For specific EV builds, you'll still have to manually keep track of your EVs. Each super training stage and bags will give specific amounts of EVs, so when you know you've gained enough, you can just stop and work on another stat. If you mess up somewhere, you can try looking for EV reduction berries, or just keep punching the default black bag until it drops a white/reset bag. That reset bag erase all the gained EVs on a Pokemon for you to restart over again.

But in the case of Bagon, you can just keep Super Training it in speed and attack (if that's what you want for a 252/252 build) until it says you maxed them both out respectively. You can't see the actual numerical amount, but super training will keep track of them and will not go over 252 EVs in a stat if there is any excess.
    Last edited by Kitsuneko; 6th November 2013 at 8:54 AM.

I am having a hard time deciding on a nature for my Aegislash. Right now I've got one with Leftovers, and it knows King's Shield, Sacred Sword, Shadow Sneak, and Swords Dance.

I initially thought a Brave nature woiuld be better; my reasoning was that since Aegislash has mediocre Speed, he should be as slow as possible so that he doesn't outspeed and attack something, fail to KO the target, and then get KO'd in its weak Blade Forme.

However, if Aegislah is Adamant, it outspeeds two common priority users, Azumarill and Mawile. Is it important to be able to outspeed in priority moves those threats?

What do you think? Adamant or Brave?

I was quite annoyed to find that a wild Ursaring used sleep and then used Roar (I think, I forgot it's name, but it's the move where the pokemon does a roar while asleep).

A costly mistake for my poor Japanese Dragonair!
    Bluebird55's Battle-Beating Duo!

My Friend Code - 1891-1851-7972

I am having a hard time deciding on a nature for my Aegislash. Right now I've got one with Leftovers, and it knows King's Shield, Sacred Sword, Shadow Sneak, and Swords Dance.

I initially thought a Brave nature woiuld be better; my reasoning was that since Aegislash has mediocre Speed, he should be as slow as possible so that he doesn't outspeed and attack something, fail to KO the target, and then get KO'd in its weak Blade Forme.

However, if Aegislah is Adamant, it outspeeds two common priority users, Azumarill and Mawile. Is it important to be able to outspeed in priority moves those threats?

What do you think? Adamant or Brave?
    You can't outspeed a priority move so I don't really know what you're trying say there. I would definitely go for Brave over Adamant though, because Aegislash pretty much has to go last in most situations or it's likely going to be knocked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    You can't outspeed a priority move so I don't really know what you're trying say there. I would definitely go for Brave over Adamant though, because Aegislash pretty much has to go last in most situations or it's likely going to be knocked out.
    I mean it outspeeds priority with its own priority. If a base 60 Speed Pokémon uses a priority move, it will move before a base 50 Speed Pokémon's priority move.

So, for example, if I have an Brave Aegislash with low HP against an Adamant Azumarill with low HP, Azumarill's Aqua Jet will go first, thus KO'ing me. But had I been Adamant, my Shadow Sneak would have moved first, thus KO'ing it. So I'm wondering if a situation like that is important enough to go Adamant over Brave.

Seems to be still being discussed, so I guess we'd need to wait and see what is the full exent of any change to the shiny rate (assuming another possibility wasn't overlooked, e.g. only certain numbers rather than everything in a range...if that's possible).

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: The Coffee Guy's Rants: Remakes! He doesn't like them.
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

I kind of wish they'd rebalance some of the older Pokemon by redistributing their stats instead of just tacking an additional 10 points onto one of their base stats.

Mostly because there are numerous Pokemon like Scrafty, Ferrothorn and Togekiss that despite having a not terribly impressive BST, nonetheless are good due to having only a minimal amount of points being wasted on stats they don't need (Special attack, speed, and attack respectively).

can you only buy tms once? Bought a swords dance, used it, and I cannot buy another.

Pokemon White Shinies: EV Trained Timid Roserade, drifloon, adamant aqua jet marill, storm drain shellos
    Pokemon Y Shinies: Adamant Contrary Inkay (max Atk IV) [for trade]
    Pokemon Y FC
    FC: 2380-3825-8115

Quote Originally Posted by White2011 View Post
    can you only buy tms once? Bought a swords dance, used it, and I cannot buy another.
    That's because all TM's can be used an infinite amount of times. This is the same as it was back in Black and White, and it's been that way since. So no fear of using up your only TM.
    SPPf Bros. Kerfuffle //AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Most Recent Shiny: Mienfoo

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread (although it probably isn't), but Pikachu and Power-up Punch are incompatible. I was thinking, it has arms that can form fists, hence it learning Focus Punch in prior gens, and of course Thunder Punch through a tutor in gen 5 (and 3). Just not Power-up Punch. Some other Pokémon that have fists learn this, including but not limited to Clefairy and even Jigglypuff. WHY DID GF NOT GIVE THIS MOVE TO PIKACHU!? I ask this because I'm planning on using a Pikachu for a solo run of X; and Brick Break TM is way late in the game (as in, Terminus Cave) whereas Power-up Punch TM comes after beating Korrina in the gym, which is much earlier. Perhaps I'll have to rely on Rock Smash for my physical fighting move, which comes even earlier and is effectively the same move (40 BP), but with significant differences (lowering foe's Defense compared to raising my Attack), until I get Brick Break. And Rock Smash is a field move anyway...
    YouTube Pika250, Twitter Pika250
    BMGf no. 8125 (Pika25), Smogon no. 8077 (Pika25)
    Find me at those Forums too!

My Pokemon Online Dream Team, I am "Scotty" on PO

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo 14 View Post
    That's because all TM's can be used an infinite amount of times. This is the same as it was back in Black and White, and it's been that way since. So no fear of using up your only TM.
    WOW can't believe I never knew this…And here I am, with no used tms from White version thinking I had to use on only competitively trained EV trained pokemon. Thanks for the info!

Pokemon White Shinies: EV Trained Timid Roserade, drifloon, adamant aqua jet marill, storm drain shellos
    Pokemon Y Shinies: Adamant Contrary Inkay (max Atk IV) [for trade]
    Pokemon Y FC
    FC: 2380-3825-8115

Do you have to be online for the 3rd friend safari pokemon to show up? Vice versa?
    Link to my 4th/5th Gen Shop
    Pocket Monsters Stop Shop

Friend Safari: Dragon/Fairy

Quote Originally Posted by Spektor View Post
    Do you have to be online for the 3rd friend safari pokemon to show up? Vice versa?
    I think so, that is what everyone is telling me.
    White 2 Friend code : 1508-0208-9881
    Pokémon X Friend Code: 0275-7830-7079

Page 36 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast