Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 1361

Thread: General Gameplay & Battle Mechanics Thread

Boy everyone finding Shinies with MM And Friend Safari are lucky. i have done both of those for two days straight and not one shiny of anything. The only luck I have had as either be random or Chain Fishing.
    I am the Master of Arcanine and Boy do I love this Big Dog

† I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

50% of Serebii users are relapsing pokemon fans...if you are among those that never got off the band wagon...copy and paste this in your sig (started by CyberBlastoise).

Hoenn here we Come! 17 hrs to go
    3ds friend code: 3265-5471-9696.

I've been having a ball at the Battle Institute xD IDK why I never did this in Gen 5. Really nice way to test out strategies and learn about your own weak points. 11-15 points per run isn't half bad either. Might become my favorite Facility of the series bar the Battle Maison. Even though its not one of the major ones, but w/e.

Finally got to play with the Snowball in this place too (one of the few new items that I have atm). Quite useful on the right switch-in.

RADIANT BLAZE ~

For the love of God, you can't even tell which Pokemon in the Horde uses the Hidden ability when it activates (or at least not with Intimidate). Just that one of them has it. Why did they have to make this such an annoying guessing game?
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    For the love of God, you can't even tell which Pokemon in the Horde uses the Hidden ability when it activates (or at least not with Intimidate). Just that one of them has it. Why did they have to make this such an annoying guessing game?
    Yup, those cases are pretty much the ones where you need to use Skill Swap, Simple Beam, Role Play, etc. on all 5 Pokemon in the horde to figure out who has the Hidden ability. It eliminates the need to guess, but it doesn't make it any less tedious to have to do for each one.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

Quote Originally Posted by Psynergy View Post
    Yup, those cases are pretty much the ones where you need to use Skill Swap, Simple Beam, Role Play, etc. on all 5 Pokemon in the horde to figure out who has the Hidden ability. It eliminates the need to guess, but it doesn't make it any less tedious to have to do for each one.
    Was it really that hard for them to simply tell you which one used Intimidate, though? I mean, I can understand having to use those strategies for something like, Telepathy or Moxie where you can't really activate the ability yourself, but now you're telling me I have to check everything manually? That's ridiculous.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Was it really that hard for them to simply tell you which one used Intimidate, though? I mean, I can understand having to use those strategies for something like, Telepathy or Moxie where you can't really activate the ability yourself, but now you're telling me I have to check everything manually? That's ridiculous.
    Well, obviously, some abilities like Dry Skin would have an easier way to check, but I don't know why there's not just an easier way to check the abilities of them all. They could have probably just labeled each Pokemon by its position, but I don't know how exactly they would have done that in a clear and concise manner. I do like the mechanic of having hidden abilities in hordes, though, but it definitely would be nicer if they had a less tedious way for us to check which one had the ability. Maybe something like Frisk, but for all opposing abilities rather than held items?
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

can the chlorophyll boost baton passed?
    3883-6008-7187

Quote Originally Posted by sunny phoenix View Post
    can the chlorophyll boost baton passed?
    Nope. It can't. Same applies for other such abilities like Sift Swim, Sand Rush, Unburden, etc. These abilities never explicitly state that your speed has been increased, unlike Speed Boost.
    Last edited by Ruas; 29th January 2014 at 3:33 PM.

Well, obviously, some abilities like Dry Skin would have an easier way to check, but I don't know why there's not just an easier way to check the abilities of them all. They could have probably just labeled each Pokemon by its position, but I don't know how exactly they would have done that in a clear and concise manner. I do like the mechanic of having hidden abilities in hordes, though, but it definitely would be nicer if they had a less tedious way for us to check which one had the ability. Maybe something like Frisk, but for all opposing abilities rather than held items?
    This would be pretty amazing; it would make sorting out the HAs a lot easier.
    That would even be an interesting ability competitively too, actually.
    3ds FC: Mystica; 2621-3668-7527
    Safari: Electric; Electabuzz, Parchirisu, Galvantula {partially full}

Art belongs to me
    Preferred Battle Style: Rotation

That still probably wouldn't work because it may not tell you which one either. Abilities are too passive for something like this, unless they label which Pokemon in the Horde was affected, you're still going to have to guess.

It kind of baffles me as to why they didn't update Charge Beam to have a 100% chance of increasing special attack, when Power-Up Punch does that for attack.

Moreso because outside of bad type coverage, Electric types tend to be sorely lacking in stat boosting moves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    It kind of baffles me as to why they didn't update Charge Beam to have a 100% chance of increasing special attack, when Power-Up Punch does that for attack.

Moreso because outside of bad type coverage, Electric types tend to be sorely lacking in stat boosting moves.
    Power Up Punch is a contact move, so it is suspect to hazards, like Rocky Helmet, Rough Skin etc.

Charge Beam has no such risk.

Being a contact move is far less detrimental then having imperfect accuracy and a chance of not gaining a stat boost at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post

This is one serious problem I have for Manectric, thus why I tend to go to Houndoom over it. :c
    Only Raichu and Thunderus are lucky enough to get Nasty Plot and even though, you have to have the right support to pull it off since they have less than optimal defenses.

Charge Beam is also frustrating in the fact that it isn't a 100% hitting move either. Choosing to make it hit 100% of the time or always boosting Sp. Attk would have been nice.

Power Up Punch is seriously the best TM to come out this gen, at least for Physical users, especially when paired with the Assault Vest that limits status moves.

Art belongs to me

Power-up punch came very clutch on my Pangoro, especially since it had iron fist, which sort of helped boost the move's initially bad base damage. I definitely agree charge beam should have gotten either a 100% accuracy or 100% stat-up boost with power-up punch's addition.

As far as other tm's go, dazzling gleam is quite potent, especially with 80 base power and just about every psychic type being able to learn it, which basically rendered my dark types pretty useless much of the time (although they could still handle most ghost-types pretty well).

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.” -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Rio! View Post
    Power Up Punch is seriously the best TM to come out this gen, at least for Physical users, especially when paired with the Assault Vest that limits status moves.
    The only common Pokemon that ever really uses PUP is Mega Kangaskhan (and occasionally some AV Conk sets). Most of the Pokemon that get PUP also have either or both of SD or Bulk Up with which to boost, and most AV Pokes either run special sets or don't get PUP.

Yes, it is a boosting move for Pokemon that otherwise can't boost Attack. But why would you want to run something that relies on PUP, of all things, to boost?

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    The only common Pokemon that ever really uses PUP is Mega Kangaskhan (and occasionally some AV Conk sets). Most of the Pokemon that get PUP also have either or both of SD or Bulk Up with which to boost, and most AV Pokes either run special sets or don't get PUP.

Yes, it is a boosting move for Pokemon that otherwise can't boost Attack. But why would you want to run something that relies on PUP, of all things, to boost?
    Meh, it's worked for me, especially when the point isn't to try and put out as much Damage as possible outright in the first place.

Art belongs to me

Meh, it's worked for me, especially when the point isn't to try and put out as much Damage as possible outright in the first place.
    If you're setting up with purely offensive boosts, you generally are trying to deal as much damage as possible outright. SD gives two boosts in a single turn, which gives immediate firepower to any decent physical sweeper to start smashing things with; Bulk Up supplements the single Attack boost with a Defense boost, to give the Pokemon a cushion against physical moves in order to open up the possibility for more boosts.

What does PUP bring to the table that those moves don't, besides some negligible Fighting damage?

If you're setting up with purely offensive boosts, you generally are trying to deal as much damage as possible outright. SD gives two boosts in a single turn, which gives immediate firepower to any decent physical sweeper to start smashing things with; Bulk Up supplements the single Attack boost with a Defense boost, to give the Pokemon a cushion against physical moves in order to open up the possibility for more boosts.

What does PUP bring to the table that those moves don't, besides some negligible Fighting damage?
    Makes sense depending on how you plan on going about setting up your team but meh, I don't always do it that way; works as is for me i I don't want a turn to go to waste getting shut down by Taunt. Not as though I use it all the time when others have the option to outright DD/SD anyway. It's just how I roll.
    *shrug*

Art belongs to me

works as is for me i I don't want a turn to go to waste getting shut down by Taunt.
    sooo

don't send out set-up sweepers with actual set-up moves against things that tend to run Taunt?

sooo

don't send out set-up sweepers with actual set-up moves against things that tend to run Taunt?
    I don't.
    If my play style bugs you that much then feel free to go ahead and shoot me several PMs.

Art belongs to me

I don't.
    If my play style bugs you that much then feel free to go ahead and shoot me several PMs.
    I generally play the same way. I especially run PUP on somewhat unpredictable sets because it almost gives me the element of surprise. for example my toxicroak has PUP sucker punch substitute and poison jab. I caught it as a shiny and thus was unable to get it with drain punch so i tried out different options and PUP worked the best for me as i deal damage while boosting AFTER i use substitute. and of course after getting a couple boosts in and losing my sub, sucker punch tends to be strong enough to knock out the foe and also makes people hesitate to switch out as i could either go for the sub or PUP on their switch in and make it harder for them to take toxicroak out. the only time i dont use pup when predictinf a switch is if theres a ghost type on the team since they could be smart enough to switch into them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive
    We all stand in single file line, and we have all been born into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Champion Silver View Post
    Power-up punch came very clutch on my Pangoro, especially since it had iron fist, which sort of helped boost the move's initially bad base damage. I definitely agree charge beam should have gotten either a 100% accuracy or 100% stat-up boost with power-up punch's addition.

As far as other tm's go, dazzling gleam is quite potent, especially with 80 base power and just about every psychic type being able to learn it, which basically rendered my dark types pretty useless much of the time (although they could still handle most ghost-types pretty well).
    Can't see how I missed this part. XD
    Dazzling Gleam is indeed amazing though, it's really nice Psychics (and Gengar) have the ability to fire back at Dragon and Dark types without having to worry about the madness that you get twisted up into hoping Focus Blast will connect.

Quote Originally Posted by Greninja VI View Post
    I generally play the same way. I especially run PUP on somewhat unpredictable sets because it almost gives me the element of surprise. for example my toxicroak has PUP sucker punch substitute and poison jab. I caught it as a shiny and thus was unable to get it with drain punch so i tried out different options and PUP worked the best for me as i deal damage while boosting AFTER i use substitute. and of course after getting a couple boosts in and losing my sub, sucker punch tends to be strong enough to knock out the foe and also makes people hesitate to switch out as i could either go for the sub or PUP on their switch in and make it harder for them to take toxicroak out. the only time i dont use pup when predictinf a switch is if theres a ghost type on the team since they could be smart enough to switch into them.
    That is true, Ghost types are where you might start running into issues.
    I currently use mine with an Assault Vest Rhyperior since it doesn't get any boosting moves anyway (outside Curse) and doesn't get Ice Punch this gen.
    I'm going to play around a bit with Hammer Arm later I guess. I think I'll try this later with Goodra instead, the extra Sp Def. would probably actually help. X)

There are just some times when I really appreciate the fact that breeding mechanics have changed, especially when it comes to egg moves. 8D

Art belongs to me

I have a question and I truly have no idea where it belongs. I received a mawile in a love ball through wonder trade. Is that even possible? Its also kalos native which is the most confusing part. Ive tried putting it together as to how it could have happened but i'm not sure. What I was thinking is maybe somebody caught a female mawile in a love ball in HGSS, transferred it to BW/2 and then transported it to XY and bred it to have it be kalos native.. Is this possible or is it most likely hacked?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive
    We all stand in single file line, and we have all been born into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greninja VI View Post
    I have a question and I truly have no idea where it belongs. I received a mawile in a love ball through wonder trade. Is that even possible? Its also kalos native which is the most confusing part. Ive tried putting it together as to how it could have happened but i'm not sure. What I was thinking is maybe somebody caught a female mawile in a love ball in HGSS, transferred it to BW/2 and then transported it to XY and bred it to have it be kalos native.. Is this possible or is it most likely hacked?
    That's entirely possible, so it's probably what's happened.

Page 48 of 55 FirstFirst ... 38444546474849505152 ... LastLast