Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1361

Thread: General Gameplay & Battle Mechanics Thread

I initially had some interest in the HG/SS Pokeballs, but once I learned they don't have a unique visual effect for when the Pokemon is sent out, I stopped caring.

Im sorry if this question has been answered before but i havent seen it asked anywhere. is it known if the shiny charm affects hatching for shinies? because im currently in the proccess of completing the national dex for the charm and im willing to give up some shinies via gts in order to complete it so i could just rebreed for shinies with better natured and IV's and whatnot
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive
    We all stand in single file line, and we have all been born into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greninja VI View Post
    Im sorry if this question has been answered before but i havent seen it asked anywhere. is it known if the shiny charm affects hatching for shinies? because im currently in the proccess of completing the national dex for the charm and im willing to give up some shinies via gts in order to complete it so i could just rebreed for shinies with better natured and IV's and whatnot
    It doesn't. In X/Y it only affects wild encounters.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Thats a shame. Kind of ruins the point of having (for me) as i usually hunt for shinies that are capable of competitive battling. Thank you for answering my question(:

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    It only says that in the English description; is there anything else suggesting it has no effect on other encounters?

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    It only says that in the English description; is there anything else suggesting it has no effect on other encounters?
    Hasn't smogong been testing this and showed that it does still have an effect, too?

Smogon did a sample of around 50,000 egg hatches, and estimated that the shiny chance was at around 1/338 with the shiny charm and Masuda Method from that.

They concluded that the charm does have a noticeable effect on breeding from that.

That's actually good to know. Man, not being able to rip apart a ROM sucks.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    Smogon did a sample of around 50,000 egg hatches, and estimated that the shiny chance was at around 1/338 with the shiny charm and Masuda Method from that.

They concluded that the charm does have a noticeable effect on breeding from that.
    That's pretty good odds. Do we know if chaining has changed? In gen 4 it used to be 1/200. Also, does the shiny charm affect chaining?

thanks everybody for clearing that up im definitely going yo continue filling up the dex in that case!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonair7 View Post
    That's pretty good odds. Do we know if chaining has changed? In gen 4 it used to be 1/200. Also, does the shiny charm affect chaining?
    at a chain of 40, the radar still maxes out at 1/200 odds of finding a shiny. im not sure if the charn affects this or not though

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but don't know where else to ask. I'm looking to start a new pokemon Y save with a fully EV trained team from the get go. Would just like to know when is the earliest moment in the games story you can start using pokemon bank?

Quote Originally Posted by Ekkix View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread for this question, but don't know where else to ask. I'm looking to start a new pokemon Y save with a fully EV trained team from the get go. Would just like to know when is the earliest moment in the games story you can start using pokemon bank?
    You can use Pokemon Bank right after you get the Pokedex, which is right after you get your first Pokemon from Tierno.
    Alpha Sapphire

Badges: 0

I am sorry if this is the wrong place but another bank question. There is supposed to be a feature of grouping the boxes. How do you do that?
    3DS friend Code: 2020-0208-4013, need friends for friend safari so please PM me yours as well
    Rock type Friend Safari with Boldore, Corsola, and Barbaracle

Never mind just figured it out sorry
    3DS friend Code: 2020-0208-4013, need friends for friend safari so please PM me yours as well

Whys qua Jet away's turn the attacker around before they turn into water? Is Aqua Jet a bum first tackle? Just annoys me for some reason.
    Team Shut-down
    Pokemon X Friend Code: 4270-1529-9156. Please feel free to add me for Battles, Trades and Friend Safari (Dark Type: Pawniard, Sandile & Inkay).
    STOP SENDING ME FROAKIE VIA WONDER TRADE!

I don't know about you guys but, in my opinion, Mega Evolution isn't that great. Aside from Charizard's X mega, Absol's Mega, Blaziken's mega, and Mewtwo's Y mega, I don't think any of them are that interesting. This is only my opinion, but I don't find the others very appealing. In my mind, Absol's mega evolution is by FAR the most beautiful. Charizard's X mega evolution is just plain cool. But this is just my opinion. Also, again this is just my opinion, I didn't think that X and Y had much depth to them. Meaning there wasn't much to do in them. It only took me 13 hours to beat it, which is pathetic. There were no side events to do like R/S/E/D/P/Pt Contests, or B2/W2 PokeStar Studios, or Black and White's Musicals, or B2/W2 Black Tower/White Treehollow, or Emerald/Platinum's Battle Frontier, or B2/W2 Pokemon World Tournament. Nothing that gave the game depth and made it so there was LOTS to do after you beat Elite 4. Plus, the gameplay was really linear. Didn't branch off into different things you could do. But, again, this is just my opinion.

~Ayrafeneres~
    ^My Fan Fic^
    ^My Art Thread^

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrafeneres View Post
    I don't know about you guys but, in my opinion, Mega Evolution isn't that great. Aside from Charizard's X mega, Absol's Mega, Blaziken's mega, and Mewtwo's Y mega, I don't think any of them are that interesting. This is only my opinion, but I don't find the others very appealing. In my mind, Absol's mega evolution is by FAR the most beautiful. Charizard's X mega evolution is just plain cool. But this is just my opinion. Also, again this is just my opinion, I didn't think that X and Y had much depth to them. Meaning there wasn't much to do in them. It only took me 13 hours to beat it, which is pathetic. There were no side events to do like R/S/E/D/P/Pt Contests, or B2/W2 PokeStar Studios, or Black and White's Musicals, or B2/W2 Black Tower/White Treehollow, or Emerald/Platinum's Battle Frontier, or B2/W2 Pokemon World Tournament. Nothing that gave the game depth and made it so there was LOTS to do after you beat Elite 4. Plus, the gameplay was really linear. Didn't branch off into different things you could do. But, again, this is just my opinion.

~Ayrafeneres~
    IMO, Absol has a pretty cool ability that ensures you aren't going to get status'd with Taunt or Thunder wave which is EXTREMELY helpful. It's design is um...something else.
    It's weird on some that have *very* specific niches *like M-Ivysaur or M-Blastoise for instance. They'd be able to pull off their jobs well, but have issues since they lack an item space.

M-Houndoom is the only special attacker besides M-Lucario that are actually able to considerably boost their Sp. Attack with Nasty Plot, the two of them getting abilities that additionally boost their power after that.

The only one I am admittedly most disappointed in though is M-Gyrados: Pretty radical design given that it resembles a Leviathan. Disappointing though since it merits little reason to using him, especially when you gain 3 new weaknesses, plus you no longer get immunity to Ground-type moves. To make it worse, he doesn't even get a hold item to help it out a little, or a good Dark STAB (Crunch anyone?) to even encourage using it. Even more aggravating when you find out Ampharos at least gets Dragon Pulse move to remember for mega-evolving purposes. M-Aerodactyl is just plain less powerful that the reg; it can't really utilize its new ability properly.

Though I can personally do without contests and studios, it was pretty barren with the post-game content outside finding the mega-stones and the Looker Missions.
    Hopefully there will be some sort of Tournament/City/Hollow-like event to do post-game. Unless you're into competitive battling there really isn't much to do after getting what you need. Even the mascot legendaries themselves don't have a whole lot to them. =/
    Last edited by Rio!; 9th February 2014 at 1:39 AM.
    3ds FC: Mystica; 2621-3668-7527
    Safari: Electric; Electabuzz, Parchirisu, Galvantula {partially full}

Art belongs to me
    Preferred Battle Style: Rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrafeneres View Post

~Ayrafeneres~
    IMO contest's were garbage and were in no way content. the games have never been that long of you speed through them. and the only ones that have had something other than the battle tower (of which XY has the maison and chateau) are all sequal games

as for the mega's, every single one of them except for maybe Mega-Gyarados (who is outclassed by it's own non-megaform) is good competitively
    I am capable of manipulating matter on a subatomic level by speaking. A mere flick of my finger is sufficient to alter the gravitational pull of the planet. I shelve physics texts under "fiction" in my personal library. I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics loose guidelines, at best. In short, I am grasping the reins of the universe's carriage, and every morning I wake up, look the heavens and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the common courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware.
    -Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick. (with all due respect to Rich Burlew)

Quote Originally Posted by Rio! View Post
    IMO, Absol has a pretty cool ability that ensures you aren't going to get status'd with Taunt or Thunder wave which is EXTREMELY helpful. It's design is um...something else.
    It's weird on some that have *very* specific niches *like M-Ivysaur or M-Blastoise for instance. They'd be able to pull off their jobs well, but have issues since they lack an item space.

M-Houndoom is the only special attacker besides M-Lucario that are actually able to considerably boost their Sp. Attack with Nasty Plot, the two of them getting abilities that additionally boost their power after that.

The only one I am admittedly most disappointed in though is M-Gyrados: Pretty radical design given that it resembles a Leviathan. Disappointing though since it merits little reason to using him, especially when you gain 3 new weaknesses, plus you no longer get immunity to Ground-type moves. To make it worse, he doesn't even get a hold item to help it out a little, or a good Dark STAB (Crunch anyone?) to even encourage using it. Even more aggravating when you find out Ampharos at least gets Dragon Pulse move to remember for mega-evolving purposes. M-Aerodactyl is just plain less powerful that the reg; it can't really utilize its new ability properly.

Though I can personally do without contests and studios, it was pretty barren with the post-game content outside finding the mega-stones and the Looker Missions.
    Hopefully there will be some sort of Tournament/City/Hollow-like event to do post-game. Unless you're into competitive battling there really isn't much to do after getting what you need. Even the mascot legendaries themselves don't have a whole lot to them. =/
    In general, I think type change Mega evolutions are a bad idea for the most part, since you don't have much to take advantage of unless you dip into TMs, Move Tutor moves, etc. I think next gen they should either change the level up movesets to take advantage or make it so Mega evolutions can have different movesets.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    In general, I think type change Mega evolutions are a bad idea for the most part, since you don't have much to take advantage of unless you dip into TMs, Move Tutor moves, etc. I think next gen they should either change the level up movesets to take advantage or make it so Mega evolutions can have different movesets.
    How would that work? They are battle only forms, unless every time you Mega-Evo it comes up with "Gyrados is trying to learn....". Which would be really annoying.

They just need to edit the movepool or throw back in move tutors. Like hyper voice for Gardevoir.
    Team Shut-down
    Pokemon X Friend Code: 4270-1529-9156. Please feel free to add me for Battles, Trades and Friend Safari (Dark Type: Pawniard, Sandile & Inkay).
    STOP SENDING ME FROAKIE VIA WONDER TRADE!

maybe give every mega pokemon a mega move, every pokemon that can mega evolve gets a move called mega matter, which will have diffrent affects depending on which mega uses it, so for gardevoir it would become a special fairy move, and for mega gyrados it becomes a physical dark move. just an idea

Quote Originally Posted by MechaBulba View Post
    Whys qua Jet away's turn the attacker around before they turn into water? Is Aqua Jet a bum first tackle? Just annoys me for some reason.
    That's based on the attacker's specific animation for physical moves, not Aqua Jet itself.

In general, I think type change Mega evolutions are a bad idea for the most part, since you don't have much to take advantage of unless you dip into TMs, Move Tutor moves, etc.
    Do people not take advantage of those for whatever reason?

I mean, we do have infinite reusable TMs now, we have females passing Egg moves to make those easier to get, and we'll probably get tutors back in the next game.

I dunno I think they're pretty rad, especially if that Poke already has access to at least a single, viable move that has STAB. EVERY Pokemon gets a nice Offensive move except for M-Gyarados for whatever reason; yet M-Charizard X/Y has 3 STAB offensive moves that can be bred into him before he was even revealed to have the type-change capability.

I imagine Move Tutors will be coming whatever next installment comes out way, so that won't be a problem for too long. c:
    3ds FC: Mystica; 2621-3668-7527
    Safari: Electric; Electabuzz, Parchirisu, Galvantula {partially full}

Art belongs to me
    Preferred Battle Style: Rotation

Say here's a breeding mechanics question. We all know female mons have a 50% chance of passing down the ha with males a 20% if breeding with ditto but whatabout ggendered mons? Like Beldum line or porygon line? What are there stats of passing its ha?

Quote Originally Posted by TKDTJU View Post
    Say here's a breeding mechanics question. We all know female mons have a 50% chance of passing down the ha with males a 20% if breeding with ditto but whatabout ggendered mons? Like Beldum line or porygon line? What are there stats of passing its ha?
    I believe it's the same as if you breed a male with a Ditto since Ditto will always count as the female Pokemon.

FC: 3024-6809-5667

Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 ... LastLast