Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon X & Y Music Appreciation Thread

all in all i love the music to XY most of its somber,thinking type of music. i just love new age type music in video games. the rock n roll stuff is good in battles but new age stuff is better when you're not
    bushie
    white fc:2581 7084 0443
    soul silver fc: 4298 8231 5702
    WHITE 2 FC : 3182 9975 4292
    3ds fc: 4356 0302 3712
    HERE WE GO EAGLES

Yeah, generally I feel that more rock-ish soundtracks work best for "grittier" games like Atlus's Shin Megami Tensei series. Doesn't fit as well with more cartoony games like Pokemon, IMO...as opposed to SMT: Devil Survivor, where you're battling demons from all kinds of cultures during the end of the world while an awesome guitar riff wails in the background.

Rock fits everywhere, come on.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Everywhere but here.

BUUUUUUURNED.

I appreciate the rock. The Elite Four music was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    This may as well be the best post in the thread.

Though I do like the variety, and that they didn't just stick to one theme. All the contrasting tones from the different tracks is one thing I like about the music.
    AC Dream Address: 4300 2225 3013 // Secret Base Teams // Most Recent Shiny: Reshiram and Palkia

I was expecting some kind of European-themed tracks to fit with the "Beauty" theme in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    I was expecting some kind of European-themed tracks to fit with the "Beauty" theme in the region.
    You can't really say one style of music is inherently more beautiful than another. Especially something as broad a category as that of a whole continent.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    I dunno, I thought the game's music was pretty European. This game beats out Odin Sphere in terms of songs that use clarinets in the melodies...

Quote Originally Posted by Silverevilchao View Post
    I dunno, I thought the game's music was pretty European. This game beats out Odin Sphere in terms of songs that use clarinets in the melodies...
    The game soundtrack as a whole is thematic and atmospheric. Some themes are indeed European.
    I was expecting more strings than brass instruments. Also, Sycamore's theme is the only one that exudes the French vibe.

I really have no complaints. I guess I was just expecting a Layton-esque feel.

.: So, what's next? | Edit by me, do not steal. :.
    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulava View Post
    I really have no complaints. I guess I was just expecting a Layton-esque feel.
    Like Route 10 in (BW) Unova? God, that was up there to Layton games.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulava View Post
    I was expecting more strings than brass instruments.
    Me too. The brass really gave it a "Hoenn" kind of feel, for me.
    Though the Pokemon League theme, with its strings, was magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverevilchao View Post
    Yeah, generally I feel that more rock-ish soundtracks work best for "grittier" games like Atlus's Shin Megami Tensei series. Doesn't fit as well with more cartoony games like Pokemon, IMO...as opposed to SMT: Devil Survivor, where you're battling demons from all kinds of cultures during the end of the world while an awesome guitar riff wails in the background.
    I agree. I feel like rock is out-of-place for Pokemon... or, at least, this Pokemon game. If GF somehow made a "grittier" Pokemon game--set in a more desolate land, or with darker themes or something--I could see the rock having a firm place in the soundtrack. Pokemon is better for brass and acoustic because it fits the lightheardness of Pokemon overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Grei View Post
    I agree. I feel like rock is out-of-place for Pokemon... or, at least, this Pokemon game. If GF somehow made a "grittier" Pokemon game--set in a more desolate land, or with darker themes or something--I could see the rock having a firm place in the soundtrack. Pokemon is better for brass and acoustic because it fits the lightheardness of Pokemon overall.
    We have Orre for that.

I thought the themes were pretty dark in this game, and the music fit pretty well. In some areas it was really eerie. I thought there was going to be more of an emphasis on string instruments than what there was, though.

I feel like it fit perfectly in the Black and White games. Unova was more of an urban region and the pop/rock/dubstep music, particularly in BW2, were great.

Overall, I liked the music for this game, but there aren't many tracks that stand out compared to RSE or BW2. I can appreciate them, but many blend together. The Team Flare themes, the Pokemon League Overworld and the Ending theme are my favourites because they're different.

Spoiler:- Alpha Sapphire Progress:

I actually quite liked the music in X overall. I'd listened to it on Youtube before playing the game and found it kind of bland, but once I heard it in-game I was much more impressed with it. My favorite tracks would probably be Snowbelle City, Anistar City, Pokemon Village, Bike theme, Boutique theme, Sycamore's theme, the theme that plays when you're challenged by a Rising Star trainer, and one of the later Route themes - 21 and 22 or so, I think. The Mewtwo battle track was also gorgeous, a great mixture of new and retro style. Most of my favorites have this sort of vocal or lyrical feeling to them, like they could be adapted into a song with little trouble, which I really enjoy. (Although Pokemon Village is just crazily cute and sort of twisted at the same time.)

Also, I have to agree with AuraChannelerChris, who said the Gym Leader battle theme sounds rather like an extended rock concert overture - it has tons of potential but needs a lot more buildup and development, and doesn't get any of it. I'll be honest and admit that I found most of the battle themes to be quite limited, in that they use Masuda's usual chord progressions and melody lines and don't really stray from that. (That's more a question of my taste, though, since I've felt that way since Generation 4 or so. During battle themes, especially more intense ones like Gym Leader or Elite Four/Champion, I'm always waiting for some rather Hans Zimmer-like melodies to show up and make you feel like you and your Pokemon can conquer the strongest Trainers in the world, but that basically never happens.) Team Flare's themes were okay, but somehow I felt like the general atmosphere didn't work, and made them feel more like hammy "eeeevil" than a true threat. (Team Rocket, for example, had themes that sounded much more creepy and threatening to me.)
    Last edited by Mi-tan; 11th November 2013 at 1:09 AM.
    Off exploring Hoenn again

Pokémon X & Pokémon Y: Super Music Collection is now out and available in iTunes for $9.99 USD.

.: So, what's next? | Edit by me, do not steal. :.
    .: IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAMES, PLEASE CHECK THE [MAIN SITE] FIRST :.

Can someone please tell me if the Pokemon X & Y Soundtrack is or will be available for purchase from the Google Play Store?

Quote Originally Posted by NoNotJames View Post
    Can someone please tell me if the Pokemon X & Y Soundtrack is or will be available for purchase from the Google Play Store?
    I don't believe that its on the Play Store, sorry...
    [I neeed a new Signiture]

Whoever made the English tracklist really didn't like capital letters, huh?

Is anyone else having trouble buying the soundtrack off of iTunes? I've tried twice now and either it takes forever to even get to "Are You Sure You Want to Purchase" stuff, or it says it's incapable of downloading
        Spoiler:- On Hiatus for the Holiday Season:

Having had a quick read through this thread I'm guessing I'm an odd one out. I always play PokeMon with the sound off. Mainly because I'm normally playing while doing something else such as watching football. The sound effects just seems to grate on me, felt like that since I first played Blue years ago.
    3DS FC: 4554 - 0175 - 9052
    Dark Type Safari: Nuzleaf, Sneasel and Inkay
    PM me if you add me

My physical copy shipped out on Sunday, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Everyone who can't import should buy it on iTunes though, as terrible as iTunes is $10 isn't much to show your support.

I'm currently in love with the music from Snowbelle City. Just absolutely love it. If I have to listen to music over and over while I super train- I go to Snowbelle City.
    Pokemon X FC: 1934-2095-9657
    Friend Safari Type: Poison

5 themes from Pokemon Origins are in that Super Music Collection and also the original Red and Blue counterparts of those themes.

Title Screen
    Wild Battle
    Trainer Battle
    Final Battle (Champion)
    Cycling

No Gym Leader? I am disappoint!

Spoiler:- ΩRαS Shinies:

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast