Thread: Imagine Dragons - OU RMT

Default Imagine Dragons - OU RMT

Credit to kyogreblue3 of Flower Paradise Graphics for the awesome banner!

Hey there everyone! I am The DragonKnight, I've been playing Competitive Pokemon since January of this year, and I like to think I'm pretty good at Pokemon. I play a shiton of OU and love to use crazy stuff, and yet I'm not one of those people who say OU sucks because standard stuff is the best. I just like being weird :]

Anyway, a friend of mine gave me the inspiration for this team. I watched Usatoday play some Pokemon, and Usatoday used a weird Rain Team with Tailwind + Hurricane Tornadus and Tailwind + Hurricane Volcarona. It actually worked pretty well, and was the reason why Usatoday won that battle.

I thought it was a really neat thing, so I looked at making a team with it myself. I tried making a rain team, but the only one that was any good was too similar to his, so I ditched Volcarona and the idea of rain, and just kept Tailwind Tornadus.

I edited the set to work better as a standalone Tailwind user, giving it an Eject Button. With an Eject Button, it can use Tailwind, thanks to Prankster, get hit, and then I switch into any Pokemon of my choice right away, not wasting a turn of the speed boost.

Since I had something that would double my teams speed for four turns, I thought something that could rip holes through teams would be perfect. And what is the best thing at ripping holes? Black Kyurem. I picked the LO Mixed Black Kyurem set, because it is freaking amazing. 170 Atk and 120 SpA with doubled Speed, power of LO, and not being Choice Locked. Scary thing to go up against.

I know Steel types are an issue with Black Kyurem, and could really hurt him. Magnezone is a great teammate, being able to take out Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor, all things that are all big annoyances to Black Kyurem.

At this point, I already have a DragMag core, why not just make it DragMag? I added LO Latios with Memento to the team, because it was something that can rip through teams with Draco Meteor.

I decide here if I wanted to go three Dragons or not. I picked to use Garchomp as a third Dragon, with a Yache Swords Dance set.

I wanted a good lead, something that could get Rocks up and Taunt opposing leads. Something fast would be great, and I ended up picking Azelf. With 115 base speed, the only thing that is a common lead that is faster is Aerodactyl.

And then my team was created! .... Or not. I had major weakness to Mamoswine, that thing screwed my team up. I also had issues with the Eon Twins, because the only thing I had that could take a hit from them and live was Magnezone, and he couldn't KO them.
    I decided Choice Band Scizor would work well with this team, taking care of my big weakness to Mamoswine and helping with the Eon Twins would be really nice. He could also deal damage that could turn a 2HKO to a OHKO from one of my Dragons.
    I also changed Latios' set, I made him mixed LO with Earthquake to deal with Heatran, who was really annoying to this team.

NOW my team was finished!
    I didn't have a ton of time to ladder very high, but right now I'm #82 under the username of Imągine Drągons (2140 ARCE and 95 GXE). I'll ladder some more with it and then convert completely to Kalos.

Now, time to show my team in detail!

Tokyo (Azelf) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt
    - Explosion
    - U-turn

My obvious lead, which does a lot more than just be a common suicide lead. I picked Azelf over Skarmory because Azelf is far faster, can U-turn away, and when I'm done with it, I can blow something up, which could be extremely helpful, depending upon the Pokemon I used Explosion against. I can either switch in Scizor and bait him with Bullet Punch/Quick Attack, which is highly likely to OHKO the Pokemon that just survived an Explosion and U-turn away into the best check to what he switches in.
    Azelf has 115 base speed, faster than every other lead not named Aerodactyl and Accelgor, so it will get a Taunt off right away and most likely get SR up too, unless I make a bad play or get trapped by ScarfTar Pursuit.

252 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 250-295 (83.61 - 98.66%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
    252 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Ninetales: 289-341 (82.57 - 97.42%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
    252 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Politoed: 334-393 (86.97 - 102.34%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
    252 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Breloom: 318-375 (121.37 - 143.12%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Bleeding Out (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Quick Attack

This is the only thing on my team that you see in OU a lot. Everyone uses Choice Band Scizor, with good reason. Banded Bullet Punch gets STAB and the Technician Boost, which makes it hit like a truck. Scizor is my best check to the Eon Twins, whom would be a big threat to this team if it wasn't for Scizor, outspeeding everything but my Latios, who they speed tie with, and OHKO everything but Magnezone, who can't even 2HKO them.
    Scizor also helps with my Ice weakness, so things like Kyurem and Black Kyurem can't spam Blizzard on a Hail team.
    I bring Quick Attack as the last move, because it is needed to hit Water and Electric types hard.
    Superpower isn't used that often, but when I use it I typically smash a Heatran or Pink Blob.
    Banded U-turn is extremely helpful, because if they try to switch into Heatran as a check, I can just bring in Latios, who will KO them with Earthquake, which no one expects.

My Fault (Magnezone) @ Salac Berry
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Substitute
    - Charge Beam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Flash Cannon

Steel types are a royal pain in the *** to this team, and without Magnezone, I'd have absolutely nothing to deal with Ferrothorn and Forretress. This team IS a DragMag team, so the Mag is kinda important.
    This thing beats Scizor, Ferrothorn, Forretress, ScarfJirachi, and SDef Jirachi (if I can avoid parahax ._.), all of whom are threats to the team, being able to take a hit from anything and either KO, status, or set up Hazards. Azelf and Tornadus are great teammates of Magnezone, because of Tornadus item, Eject Button. I'll explain that in Tornadus' description.
    If I can get a sub off on a Ferrothorn before he uses Leech Seed or Thunder Wave, I'll use Charge Beam to boost my Special Attack, get him to lower my HP, get the boost from the Salac Berry, and do damage to anything that doesn't outspeed me. +1 Magnezone outspeeds everything up to base 115 speed Pokemon, meaning Starmie and Alakazam. But behind a sub, he can still either OHKO Starmie or break Zam's Focus Sash, which will always be helpful.

Ready Aim Fire (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature
    IVs: 29 HP
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Thunderbolt
    - Earthquake

Everyone knows Specs Latios is one of the hardest hitters in the metagame, but I picked LO over Specs, for a few reasons. I didn't really want to be Choice locked, and I wanted to use the last movespot on either Memento or Earthquake. Originally I had Memento, but it was pretty unneeded for this team, and I needed a better way to deal with Heatran, who is a huge threat to this team.
    Draco Meteor is obvious meant to wreck anything that isn't a Steel type (which are dealt with my Magnezone), Psyshock is obvious, to hit Fighting types and hit hard without getting a Stat Drop, TBolt is to hit Water types like Jellicent, Politoed, Gyarados, and Flying types like Skarm. Earthquake is one of the main things on this moveset, because it can take out Heatran in one shot after SR.
    4 Atk Life Orb Latios Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Heatran: 322-385 (83.63 - 100%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Latios is also one of my favorite Pokemon, so using him is pretty fun. I typically use him mid-game to do damage to opposing teams.

IVs are for perfect Life Orb number, so he gets minimum damage from Life Orb.

It's time (Tornadus) (M) @ Eject Button
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Tailwind
    - Taunt
    - Acrobatics
    - U-turn

And now you meet the Co-Star of the team, Tornadus. This set is really weird, and I mean really weird, but it works a lot. Giving +2 Speed to anything on the team is helpful, especially when you happen to give it to one of the biggest threats in the game. Prankster Tailwind goes before any sweeper except for a ExtremeSpeed Dragonite and ExtremeSpeed Lucario, and gives my team double the speed. Eject Button also gives me an immediate switch in and takes as much advantage of the Tailwind boost as possible.
    This set also has another nice niche; it can eliminate Scizor and Forretress. Obviously, when the opponent sees a Magnezone on the opposing team, they won't try to stay in, and will try to U-turn or Volt Switch out so Magnezone can'd do anything. But when I switch to my Eject Button Tornadus, their switch is canceled thanks to Eject Button, and I get a free switch into Magnezone who can OHKO both of them. Scizor would be a massive threat to this team if it wasn't for Tornadus and Magnezone, but thanks to them I never have an issue with Scizor.
    Acrobatics is a filler move that has decent power after Eject Button switch, but Tornadus never gets any kills except when he U-turns away from something, I usually use him to get that Tailwind boost and then Eject Button out.

Radioactive (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Teravolt
    Naive Nature
    - Outrage
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Draco Meteor

Meet the star of the show, Life Orb Black Kyurem. This thing is such a monster already, and with a Tailwind boost, he becomes such a huge threat to any team not named Steel mono. He is always my late game sweeper, punching massive holes in teams or OHKOing outright. This thing has some ****ing unreal attack, and its Special Attack is pretty damn good too, only 10 Base Power lower than Latios, who is most well known as Specs Meteor spammer.
    The only Pokemon Kyurem really has a problem with are Steel types, but that's why Magnezone and Latios are there, to deal with annoying Steel types like Ferrothorn, Forretress, Skarmory, Heatran, and Scizor.
    This thing is really a monster, it is able to take a Banded Bullet Punch from Scizor (without SR) and a LO Conkeldurr's Mach Punch.
    After Tailwind, it pretty much wrecks everything.
        Spoiler:

Replays

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

Conclusion

Well, this has been a team that is really weird that I like. Notable threats are Steels who aren't raped by Magnezone (Jirachi, Heatran, Bronzong). This team has no set up sweeper, but lots of things that can rip holes through teams. This is also a really unorthodox DragMag team, that is quite gimmicky. Tornadus and Black Kyurem are why this team is good, one puts the other in the absolute best scenario without Baton Passing, and the other just wrecks ****.

Please keep nicknames if you use/test this team :]

Code:
    Tokyo (Azelf) @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt
    - Explosion
    - U-turn

It's time (Tornadus) (M) @ Eject Button
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Tailwind
    - Taunt
    - Acrobatics
    - U-turn

Radioactive (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Teravolt
    Naive Nature
    - Outrage
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Draco Meteor

Ready Aim Fire (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
    Hasty Nature
    IVs: 29 HP
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Thunderbolt
    - Earthquake

My Fault (Magnezone) @ Salac Berry
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Substitute
    - Charge Beam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Flash Cannon

Bleeding Out (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Quick Attack

So, rate, test, steal, whatever. Let me know if you like my team please. Thanks :]

This team is pretty solid, but Tokyo's Explosoin is ineffective against Ghost-Type switch-ins. Can't really be helped.
    We all make mistakes, but the biggest one we can make is not learning from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkclang View Post
    This team is pretty solid, but Tokyo's Explosoin is ineffective against Ghost-Type switch-ins. Can't really be helped.
    However, if a non-scarfed Ghost comes in, he can U-turn out. Even if Explosion would kill himself against a Ghost, he can predict the obvious switch and U-turn.

Overall, amazing team, I see no issue.

Short rate but Heatran is a huge problem for this team to switch in on, this is true for a lot of dragmag teams but this one in particular is really boned hard by it, seeing as Latios even fears a burn on the switchin or just being hit hard in general, both of which could be devastating. I think you can mitigate your Heatran issue greatly by using LO Roost Kyurem with Epower as one of the moves [standard aside from that], helps wreck stall pretty hard for the most part too. Also maaaybe a DD Latios, just because this team is sort of lacking in the offensive power that setup sweepers bring. hope this helped but yea heatran is a big big issue

OK, i'm just wondering why you have quick attack on Scizor when you have bullet punch on it because bullet punch has more power due to the fact that it has STAB. As for your Magnezone why do you have charge beam? is it just because it raises Sp. Attk?

Quote Originally Posted by ShuraBlueFlame View Post
    OK, i'm just wondering why you have quick attack on Scizor when you have bullet punch on it because bullet punch has more power due to the fact that it has STAB. As for your Magnezone why do you have charge beam? is it just because it raises Sp. Attk?
    Quote Originally Posted by The DragonKnight View Post
    I bring Quick Attack as the last move, because it is needed to hit Water and Electric types hard.

If I can get a sub off on a Ferrothorn before he uses Leech Seed or Thunder Wave, I'll use Charge Beam to boost my Special Attack, get him to lower my HP, get the boost from the Salac Berry, and do damage to anything that doesn't outspeed me. +1 Magnezone outspeeds everything up to base 115 speed Pokemon, meaning Starmie and Alakazam. But behind a sub, he can still either OHKO Starmie or break Zam's Focus Sash, which will always be helpful.
    Make sure when you rate, you read the full descriptions before posting and that you have something constructive to say rather than your weak to such, or why do this.

IMO you should take a leaf from dragonusers book and use aerodactyl>azelf as its the fastest taunt lead, and stealth rocks really mess with your team. I also feel your team is very dependent on tailwind, which means keeping tornadus alive, which can lead to problems mid game when you lack something to outpace a threat, namely dd gyarados as quick attack scizor can't do much to it and it smashes magnezone, makes it needed to sac tornadus to stop gyarados. I`ld consider giving latios a choice scarf so you can revenge threats that you need to so that tornadus doesn't get used to early.
    Last edited by McDanger; 9th November 2013 at 8:44 PM.