Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't name it what??

Well, I feel your pain. I tried to nickname my Octillery 'Hooker' for the whole fishing chaining thing.

Yeah, I was puzzled for about 5 minutes before I realised why.
    Pokémon X Team:
    (3rd Playthrough)
    2492 - 4366 - 5834
    3DS Friend Code
    Playing Pokémon X, pm me if you add me!
    Have Woobat and Pidgey in friend safari!
    Gale Wing Fletchinders too!
    Looking for fairy safaris with the togepi line.

I just recently started nicknaming my pokemon.
    They block the silliest things.
    I tried naming my something in my Japanese game, and I had no clue, I just picked symbols, but it wouldn't let me. So I just gave up. I never found out what I was saying that was so "offensive".
    That's why I don't play foreign games. They frustrate me.
    ~Working on getting a sig~

My friend tried naming his Barbaracle "Conan," and he said that it was bounced back to him.

In other news, my entire team was nicknamed after Digimon at one point in my Y Version.

Not that those two scenarios are at all similar in any fashion, but still...

Proud member of The Fairy-type Club and the Serena Fan Club!
    PM me for my Pokémon Y Friend Code! My Friend Safari type is the Ghost-type with Lampent, Pumpkaboo, and Spiritomb!
    Current Y Team: | Celebi | Squishums the Goodra | Venusaur | Evelia the Cresselia* | Greninja | Jolteon |

Funny. I've always called my Hoppip "Weed" or "Weeds" since I was a little kid because they were based off dandelions. A type of garden weed. So no, not everyone who names their Pokemon "Weed" is a pothead or trying to be "Oh so funny".

I appreciate the filter, but it goes way to far. I understand why you do want lil kids receiving mons named "Spik", "Poofter", "Paki", or "Fuckdicks". But names like Tumbleweed? Spike? Conner? All legit names that happen to contain part of a word. It's worse than when Cofagrigus and Froslass couldn't be traded in G5 because they contained the word "fag" and "ass" in their names respectively.

When doing my Pokemon Y Fire Run. I couldn't name my Charizard "Sobek" for whatever reason. I'm guessing it's because of "S.O.B" means "Son of a *****" but c'mon. Most pkids are gonna see that as "Sob" as in "Crying" rather than a "dirty word".
    Last edited by ~Spacial_Rendation~; 25th October 2013 at 1:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Spacial_Rendation~ View Post
    Funny. I've always called my Hoppip "Weed" or "Weeds" since I was a little kid because they were based off dandelions. A type of garden weed. So no, not everyone who names their Pokemon "Weed" is a pothead or trying to be "Oh so funny".

I appreciate the filter, but it goes way to far. I understand why you do want lil kids receiving mons named "Spik", "Poofter", "Paki", or "Fuckdicks". But names like Tumbleweed? Spike? Conner? All legit names that happen to contain part of a word. It's worse than when Cofagrigus and Froslass couldn't be traded in G5 because they contained the word "***" and "***" in their names respectively.

When doing my Pokemon Y Fire Run. I couldn't name my Charizard "Sobek" for whatever reason. I'm guessing it's because of "S.O.B" means "Son of a *****" but c'mon. Most pkids are gonna see that as "Sob" as in "Crying" rather than a "dirty word".
    Perfect post! Awesome! Great!

Yes, I too don't see why they censor so much names, really. Would someone ever noticed that "S.O.B" on "Sobek"? Would someone ever think you named it only because of this? Would someone think "Spike" is referring to "Spik"? Or "Violet" to "Viole"? God... it's ridiculous. If the censor wasn't so flawed, it would be really welcome.

Ummmm what?

I named a skiddo after some meme. Had to swap the normal e for an e with the apostrophe. I wonder traded it later. I wonder if whoever got it understood the reference?
    Stand by for political rant that no one else really cares about.

3DS friend code: 1650 1976 9524

My FS type is Steel with Magneton, Forretress and Bronzong.

Catches Cofarigus
    Says 'Yes, I want to nickname'
    Can't think of name
    Taps little Cofarigus sprite, fills field with name "Cofarigus"

YOO CAN'T ENTER DAT WORD

FREAKIN' TAKE THE POOR THING

|
    |
    |
    |
    Last edited by Naten; 25th October 2013 at 12:34 AM.
    Chespin Co. Breeder!
    Y Progress: ~70 horus, League champion, 2 shinies caught (Basculin, Female Bluestripe; Foongus, Male)
    I am a...

I tried to name my Skitty Spaz, but apparently that's a real insult somewhere and not a joke one like we use it here.

I've also tried Spicy, Spice, and Spike (I can't remember what the pokemon were).
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken

(Psssssttt... hey, you, yah you, HOLIDAYS2014 - gets you 10% off $15+ in my shop ^ )

Today's Fact: Angry shellfish harvesters used to cut up starfish they found eating their shellfish. A starfish can regenerate from any piece that contains a reasonable portion of the starfish's core (some species only need part of an arm). I'll let you figure out the result.

thanks to the swear filter in x and y, i now know that the word "semen" is in "basement"
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)
    i spent 10 hours REing for a shiny metagross and now its an event

Got a Kefki, tried to name it "Boobookeys" as a reference to an early Spongebob episode ("Bubble Buddy", to be exact). It wouldn't let me.

I named it "JingleKeys" instead (Aqua Teen Hunger Force. RIP OOG HEAD OFF!).
    I will be on here very, very rarely. The account is not dead, per se, but I will not be on often. This has become a den of hatred, hostility, and anger. It is not the SPPF it was when I joined, and I really dislike coming here. To those of you who were nice to me and were my friend, thank you. Goodbye.
    3DS FC: 1950 7837 2016
    Name: Nicole
    Electric Friend Safari. Pokemon: Dedenne, Pikachu, Manectric
    Before you try to act superior to someone else on here, remember that no matter how much of an "internet cool-guy" you think you are, this is a Pokemon forum.

maybe because it has the word boob in it I am not sure if i can use my name because of Bra

I just caught a Cloyster and tried to name it DirtyDiamond after the Alice Cooper song.

Not allowed.

What? Because of the word "dirty"????? Oh come on! I just saw a flipping Clawitzer on the GTS named Jerks-a-lot. How come that got through but "dirty" and "dummy" get censored?
    Blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoshi View Post
    Well, I feel your pain. I tried to nickname my Octillery 'Hooker' for the whole fishing chaining thing.

Yeah, I was puzzled for about 5 minutes before I realised why.
    I was thinking of naming my Octillery that, but I figured the censor would be stupid over it. I went with "Fisher". Kind of silly, considering a fisher is a type of cat, but whatever. It's an octopus that evolves from a gunfish whose suction cups I'm using to make fish bite the invisible hook on my fishing pole every time it hits the water. In light of that, I guess naming Pokemon accurately isn't too important. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by WhatANoseBone View Post
    thanks to the swear filter in x and y, i now know that the word "semen" is in "basement"
    Lol! I just spat out some of my drink when I read that. Good for you. ^^
    Last edited by zozo; 26th October 2013 at 3:24 AM.

My Youtube battle videos
    My 3DS FC: 3609-1041-6416.

I have claimed Goodra. Happy slime dragons ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by WhatANoseBone View Post
    Mother of god my mind.
    Too uncreative to make a new sig...

Quote Originally Posted by zozo View Post

What? Because of the word "dirty"????? Oh come on! I just saw a flipping Clawitzer on the GTS named Jerks-a-lot. How come that got through but "dirty" and "dummy" get censored?
    Blah.
    Sometimes censorship can be silly. In Star Wars: The Old Republic Online, I can swear all the live-long day, but it censors "fart" ("fart-face". I was calling a Sith Lord NPC that. It lets me call him all the vulgar, swear-laden insults with no problem, but "fart-face" is a problem?). I know it's not the same, but it still makes me think of that.
    I will be on here very, very rarely. The account is not dead, per se, but I will not be on often. This has become a den of hatred, hostility, and anger. It is not the SPPF it was when I joined, and I really dislike coming here. To those of you who were nice to me and were my friend, thank you. Goodbye.
    3DS FC: 1950 7837 2016
    Name: Nicole
    Electric Friend Safari. Pokemon: Dedenne, Pikachu, Manectric
    Before you try to act superior to someone else on here, remember that no matter how much of an "internet cool-guy" you think you are, this is a Pokemon forum.

I tried naming my male Chespin Spike but the game wouldn't let me, so I just named him Sonic.

My Friend Code for my 3ds! My friend Safari Type is Poison
    1693 1038 1902

I had caught a Spearow, and while I was pondering various possible names, a type of bird, the Tufted Titmouse popped into my head. I was amused and decided to annoy the filter with "Titsy"..... and it passed it.

Ok- lesson learned:
    Tits ok, weeds not.
    My current shinies!

Gifts:
    Event:
    Random:
    Trade:
    MM:
    X/Y FS: Chain Fishing:

FC for X: 2809-7726-5588
    Type: Poison- Cascoon, Garbador and Drapion

I have an OC named Con, This is not funny, I wanted to get a 2nd game (perhaps Z) and play it as Con. How is naming myself 'idiot' offensive to anyone else?
    I understand racial and sexual censors, but some of them..
    Last edited by Artnerd; 26th October 2013 at 2:41 PM.

Let's just say, I tried to name a Pokemon after a character from another Nintendo game and it's blocked.

What they should have done is let you use the nickname, but only let friends see it. Battling or trading with random players would temporarily or permanently strip the offensive nickname.
    The Seven Deadly Sins of Pokemon: Hardiness, Docility, Seriousness, Bashfulness, Quirkiness, Laxity, and Gentleness.

Is there not several Pokemon that cannot be traded without a nickname like ProbopASS, FroslASS etc. I can see where gamefreak are coming from with the games aimed at a younger audience, but judging from this thread it has been over done.
    My Shiny Pokemon:

5th Gen:
    ;Emolga; ;Solosis;

6th Gen:
    Greninja ;Volcarona; (X2) Aegislash ;Lampent; Diggersby

Luvin' the t'wigs <3
    3DS fc: Paddy 2621-3316-5077 (Pm if you add me)

I wish they would have it so a Pokemon's nickname would disappear when traded on GTS. I think that would be a good solution so that little kids don't get Pokemon named something obscene, yet we can still name our Pokemon stuff like "Spike" and "Basement".
    (template from Jerkfighter)

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Vibrava View Post
    I found a new pokemon so odd, in an endearing way, that I decided I wanted to nickname it "queer". Where I'm from, it isn't used in a bad way. It is simply another word for "weird". Also, it is used as an identity (ex. genderqueer). I was really ticked off when I couldn't call it that. If I have a pet peeve, it is censorship. I paid money for this game. I should nickname my pokemon anything I want. I simply added an extra "e" and called it "queeer" instead. I'm starting to nickname my pokemon nasty things and trying to bypass the filter out of spite.
    Hehe, I remember reading Lord of the Rings, words like queer (strange) and ****** (a bundle of wood) were all over the place. Language and meaning associated with words changes though, and although there's undoubtedly a downside to this kind of censorship, I do think it's better than not having it at all.

Having said that, maybe in the future they can add an option to censor names or not, and you can only trade with people that also have the option on or off, as appropriate I'm fairly sure most if not all people would turn it off, so it wouldn't make a practical difference in terms of online trading.

EDIT: Okay, so f*ggot got censored here as well, whoops. I still meant the bundle of wood though :P

I still think it's hilarious that the nickname England is blocked, just because it contains the word 'gland'. I don't have any idea of how that could be offensive to anyone ever, but okay Nintendo.

Apparently my spirit Pokemon is

Now I'm a little bit concerned about PokéBank. What if it doesn't let you transfer some Pokémon due to the censor?
    Just imagine being unable to transfer your beloved shiny you've had for years just because its nickname contains somewhere an offensive word in some obscure ancient dead language from a remote island no one knows about...
    If some names are a problem they should at least give you the option to change them. I would be really upset if I'm unable to transfer some of my beloved Pokémon. (And seriously, if you are trading away a Pokémon you are giving up on its ownership, if you really loved this Pokémon you wouldn't have traded it away... so yeah, that "we respect its original trainer wishes" thing is stupid).
    Miiverse is addictive~
    Click Ran if you want to visit my Void c:
    I'm not a native english speaker, so I'm sorry if I make mistakes.

You know, as lame as Farfetch'd was... Back in the original games, you could only get it via in-game trade, and the rule that makes you unable to change the nickname meant no one in the entire country back then owned a Farfetch'd that didn't have the unbelievably-stupid nickname "DUX".

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast