Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: 6th Gen Nuzlocke Challenge Thread!

Taking a hiatus from my White 2 Nuzlocke, and going to do my traditional Smitelocke in Y again.

EDIT: Current Team:

Loki the Froakie
    Artemis the Zigzagoon
    Vamana the Caterpie
    Last edited by Kung Fu Ferret; 5th September 2016 at 1:06 AM.

I didn't really like how my last Y Nuzlocke went, so, for something different, I started a Wonderlocke. My rules are as follows:

-Standard two rules apply
    -I will be allowed to keep gift Pokemon- the starters and fossils, namely. I don't want to be left with no options if my Pokemon are too high-levelled.
    -Battles are played in Set.
    -Dupes Clause applies- if someone WTs a Pokemon I've been traded or caught before, I can throw it back in to avoid having a team of just Pidgeys. To keep things interesting, I'm also going to allow myself to retrade if the Pokemon received is one I've caught for Wonder Trade. The main draw of the challenge for me is the varied selection. I don't want to be restricted to the same old Pokemon I could find normally.
    -Pokemon obviously sent out to troll like Lucdisc and male Combee will be thrown right back into Woder Trade.
    -Due to the number of breedjects on WT, a Pokemon will be considered immune to death until it hits level 4. After that, though, it's able to die.
    -Shinies can be caught and kept.
    -If a Pokemon's level is too high, I can choose to either keep it or throw it back into Wonder Trade.
    -If a type's become too abundant, I can retrade all Pokemon of that typing until I receive the next badge to ensure variety.

I've gotten to Santalune now, and I have a pretty interesting team thus far. I'll train to level 15 or 16 before fighting Viola.

EDIT: I defeated Viola. It was a cakewalk- Lapin Sparked her Pokemon into oblivion.

Since then, I've progressed to Camphrier town. I got a Gastly for a Skitty, a Cascoon for Charmander, a Gible for Doduo and a Froakie for Honedge, which I'll start training soon. I'm probably going to throw Sparta into Wonder Trade now that I'm sure my Pokemon will obey me.

EDIT: Remember that Froakie? Well, he kind of died. It was the Masquerain on Route 9 that did him in. Still, I do have a solid team now, so no big deal.

Anyhow, I've defeated Grant. I've also realised why Durant is never found early in the game- it's overpowered. A Hone Claws and two Metal Claws were enough to get me the Badge.

I'll probably train to level 28 before I dare take on Korinna's two Lucario. Charmeleon should be able to handle them, but I don't want her to die. I've also started to name my Pokemon. I mean, sure, not 'officially', maybe, but I'll be including their names with my updates.

Team so far:
    Durant, level 28, male (Shakespeare)
    Gabite, level 26, male (Grackle)
    Charmeleon, level 26, female (Daenerys)
    Mightyena, level 26, female (Black Tar)
    Pikachu, level 26, male (Cadwell)
    Prinplup, level 26, male (Captain)

Dead:
    Frogadier, level 1-24, male (Ichiro) (Killed by that Masquerain's... Something. Sorry, Ichiro, can't remember. But you died, I know that much.)
    Last edited by Earth Wolf-Howl; 4th October 2016 at 10:45 PM.

Starting a Nuzlocke of X. Rules are as follows:

- Basic two rules
    - No healing during battle
    - No mega evolution
    - EXP share turned off
    - Dupes Clause
    - Battle Style Set
    - No depositing a pokémon unless I need a specific HM or they're dead, it's in my party till it faints

And yeah. I'll keep you all posted as I go

Almost done with a Nuzlocke in Alpha Sapphire.

Party:
    Izanami (Sableye)
    Loki (Kecleon)
    Sylvanus (Cradily)
    Amaterasu (Latias)
    Ymir (Walrein)
    Kukulkan (Seviper)

PC:
    Bastet (Skitty)
    Scylla (Tentacool)
    Athena (Zigzagoon)
    Jing Wei (Wingull)
    Neith (Dustox)
    Fenrir (Mightyena)
    Bacchus (Spinda)
    Rama (Meditite)
    Nu Wa (Trapinch)
    Vulcan (Numel)
    Chang'e (GLoom)
    Odin (Relicanth)
    Hel (Shuppet)
    Guan Yu (Doduo)
    Ao Kuang (Magikarp)
    Xing Tian (Lairon)

DEAD:
    Osiris (Grovyle)
    Agni (Torkoal)
    He Bo (Azumarill)
    Poseidon (Wailmer)
    Raijin (Manectric)
    Awilix (Exploud)
    Camazotz (Crobat)

Badges: 8
    Last edited by Kung Fu Ferret; 5th October 2016 at 11:48 PM.

Beat Viola, On route 5.

Team:
    Wolfie (Fennekin, level 14)
    Gayle (Fletchling, level 14)
    Buzzinga (Beedrill, level 14)
    Arthur (Psyduck, level 13)
    Akiza (Budew, level 15)
    Scooby-Doo (Furfrou, level 12)

In Box:
    None

Dead:
    Ivy (Bulbasaur, level 12, died to the trainer with the Kadabra)

I would have had a Bidoof too, but Gayle one-shotted it so I missed it. Oh well, it's just a Bidoof. Wolfie nearly died to Viola's Vivillon, but lived with 1 HP. I ran into some difficulty with the Kadabra trainer, half my team was weak to Confusion and nothing could switch in, so I had to pick someone to kill off and I chose Bulbasaur because Budew was better at the time and Roserade would be better in the long run, I think, or at least more unique.

EDIT: Well, I just got swept by the Furfrou couple... only an Espurr left... great.
    Last edited by Lucia; 7th October 2016 at 2:15 AM.

Yeah, I know I've started and restarted Nuzlockes so many times by this point, but I decided to make things interesting and start a Monotype Nuzlocke run, with my chosen type being the Dark type.

My rules are as follows:
    -I am actually taking away the first Pokemon in every route rule. However, I can still only catch one Pokemon per Route.
    -Faint=death, as per usual.
    -Every Pokemon must be nicknamed.
    -I can trade my capture for routes away over Wonder Trade to get a new Dark-type. However, none of them can be used until I can breed them, unless they already have a nickname.
    -Dupes Clause is off. If I get a Dark-type through trading, I'm sticking with it, even if it's one I already have.
    EDIT: After further consideration, Dupes is on unless I choose to keep it.
    -Shiny Clause is on, but I can't use it unless it's Dark-type.

I started with a Froakie named Yami. I put a Scatterbug up on the GTS looking for a Poochyena to get my second Dark-type of the run. I'm just at Santalune now. I'm planning to trade a Ditto over from OR so I can breed my Pokemon.

EDIT: I made it to Santalune, and received a Pancham named Pam-Pam through WT. Because he was nicknamed, he's going on my team.

EDIT: I defeated Viola. I relied on Yami for it. A couple of Quick Attacks and Water Pulses respectively took out both her Pokemon. Afterwards, I defeated Sycamore and got a Houndour for my Squirtle, went to Route 5, caught a Scraggy named Slink (later changed to Obsidian) and continued on. I'm almost at Parfum Palace now.

EDIT: I cleared through more of the gamr, expanded my team, and now I'm at Cyllage.

Team So Far:
    (Frogadier) Yami, level 25
    (Scraggy) Obsidian, level 25
    (Poochyena) Sam, level 25
    (Houndoom) Farley, level 25
    (Sandile) Snark, level 25

Dead:
    None
    Last edited by Earth Wolf-Howl; 12th November 2016 at 2:56 PM.

Decided to finally complete a 6th gen nuzlocke before S/M. Only have a week left, though. But here goes.

My rules:
    -1st encounter only. If I faint the first encounter unintentionally, the next encounter I don't faint is the one for the route.
    -Nickname everything.
    -Mega Evolution is allowed.
    -Exp. Share is allowed.
    -Amie is not allowed except for obtaining Sylveon.

Picked the male character and named him "Ares". Met my rivals, went through the whole starter thing.

Current Team:
    "Yakooza" the Lax Froakie Lv. 6

Dead:
    None

Boxed:
    None
    FC: 3067-6073-0812 *Please do not add my code without asking me first*

Well, I'm in trouble right now. I managed to defeat Grant with no trouble at all. Yami took out Amaura, while Obsidian took out Tyrunt. I got to Shalour with no problems. I started to make progress in Korrina's gym. However, my Skuntank, Dokuro, didn't quite manage to take out a Hariyama, and got utterly annihilated by its Belly Drum-boosted Smellingsalts. I managed to trade for a Murkrow and Vullaby, thankfully, so I'm not completely out of options, but I am afraid right now.

I'll breed another Murkrow that I can nickname before I train again and continue where I left off. I can only hope it survives.

EDIT: Nimbus the Murkrow joined the team!

EDIT: I don't know how... But I defeated Korrina. Her Mienfoo and Machoke weren't a problem- Nimbus OHKO'd them both. However, a Flying Press from Hawlucha took her down below half. Not wanting to lose her, I sent out Yami instead, with the same result. I stalled it until it ran out of PP, though, and finished it with a Water Pulse as it used Hone Claws.

EDIT: I made it to Coumarine City and began to train. Yami evolved again. I reckon I'll be training my team to level 38. My intention was to leave all of them but Nimbus at 36, but then I trained Yami and Sam to 38 by accident, so... That's history.

EDIT: I took down Ramos and Clemont with little problem. Nimbus managed to take down his Jumpluff and Gogoat, though Farley had to come in to finish off Weepinbell. I pretty much swept through most of the Power Plant with Snark- she evolved, along with Obsidian. As for Clemont, Snark took out Emolga (though got paralysed in the process), and Obsidian took out his Heliolisk and Magneton.

Team so far:
    (Greninja) Yami, level 39
    Sam, level 38
    Obsidian, level 40
    Farley, level 39
    Snark, level 41
    Nimbus, level 39

Deaths:
    Dokuro, level 21-34 (Killed by a Hariyama in Korrina's gym)
    Last edited by Earth Wolf-Howl; 22nd November 2016 at 1:03 PM.

is there going to be a sun and moon nuzlocke thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Tjman461 View Post
    is there going to be a sun and moon nuzlocke thread?
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...allenge-Thread!

There you go bud. Just check the subforum for the threads. If you go to the top and hit 'Pokemon Challenge Forum' it will show you all the challenge threads.

Trying again in Alpha Sapphire. Just beat Roxanne.

Team:
    Poseidon (Marshtomp)
    Fenrir (Poochyena)
    Neith (Beautifly)
    Guan Yu (Zigzagoon)
    Kukulkan (Taillow)
    Apollo (Whismur)

Dead:
    Susano (Wingull)

Completed aforementioned Nuzlocke.

Final team:
    Poseidon (Swampert)
    Ah Puch (Sableye)
    Kali (Manectric)
    Apollo (Exploud)
    Sylvanus (Cradily)
    Jing Wei (Altaria)

PC:
    Guan Yu (Zigzagoon)
    Terra (Geodude)
    Kukulkan (Taillow)
    Chang'e (Marill)
    Vulcan (Numel)
    Scylla (Tentacool)
    The Morrigan (Spinda)
    Camazotz (Zubat)
    Bacchus (Barboach)
    Bellona (Machop)
    Fenrir (Mightyena)
    Ratatoskr (Sandshrew)
    Ao Kuang (Magikarp)
    Nox (Koffing)
    Awilix (Gloom)
    Loki (Kecleon)
    Skadi (Sealeo)
    Izanami (Vulpix)
    Thoth (Doduo)
    Chaac (Wailmer)
    He Bo (Chinchou)
    Hel (Shuppet)

Dead:
    Susano (Wingull)
    Neith (Beautifly)
    Amaterasu (Latias)

Started a Alpha Sapphire Nuzlocke.

Current Location:Rustboro City

Salsa (Torchic - 101)
    Jessie (Cascoon - 102)
    Jaime (Wurmple - 104
    Elert (Zizgagoon - Woods)
    Route 116 - None

My Y Darklocke's on hiatus right now, so I started a standard Nuzlocke in OR. It's going okay so far, though I've had two deaths, those being Revali the Swellow and Callie the Tentacool. Basically, here's a short synopsis of how it's going.

Standard rules apply, no bells and whistles this time.

-Started with Talon the Treecko
    -Defeated Rustboro with him, now a Grovyle.
    -Defeated Brawly with Revali the Taillow. Caught Banjo the Makuhita
    -Got to Slateport, got Folk the Electrike. Lost Revali against rival's Combusken, proving that it's not just the Sharlas that suffer the early bird curse, and making Unfezants my current only survivors.
    -Defeated Wattson using Banjo, now a Hariyama
    -Went north to Fallarbour. Caught Athena the Skarmory, lost Callie the Tentacool to wild Sandshrew.
    -Went to Meteor Falls, then to Lavaridge. Caught Razor and Fleet, the shiny Zangooses.
    -Defeated Flannery with Banjo
    -Got Claw Fossil/Dillon the Anorith. Defeated Norman with Athena.
    -Went to Fortree, got Shiranui the Latios. Defeated Winona with Folk and Shiranui.
    -Went to Lilycove, then Mossdeep. Replaced Talon with Chance the Vileplume.

Right now, I'm just training for the gym. I probably will either train to level 45 or 47. I have confidence in Athena and Shiranui, however, to take out Tate and Liza without a problem. Those two are always my Doubles partners, and they've had great success so far.

EDIT: I took out Tate and Liza, and as promised, my leads were Athena and Shiranui. The battle started off okay- Shiranui's Shadow Ball took Lunatone to relatively low health. However, Athena missed Solrock, and took a Rock Slide. Next turn, both of them hit with the same moves. Lunatone was healed. However, Solrock set up Sunny Day, possibly announcing a future Fire Blast that would spell Athena's doom. Suspecting this, I focused Shiranui's Shadow Ball on it, while healing Athena just in case (thanks to her Sturdy). Shadow Ball took it out, and Lunatone missed the Hypnosis it tried to hit Athena with. A final Shadow Ball felled it.

EDIT: So I finished up to Sootopolis Gym. The Groudon sequence was nothing special, Shiranui Surfed everything to death, and Groudon itself was caught with the Master Ball. Wallace was a little more complicated, though. I used mostly Chance for this gym. His Luvdisc pretty much stalled him and Folk with Attract and Sweet Kiss before Chance finally broke through, and after that, I was locked into healing by his Milotic and its Ice Beam. However, I took the chance with Giga Drain, and quickly took it out. Chance then obliterated the rest, with Folk stepping in at the last moment to Discharge his Seaking.

Now for the preparations! Hope no-one dies between now and then.

EDIT: On second thought, I decided to replace Skarmory. I was reluctant to take Athena off the team, but her replacement, Kilaki the Sealeo, both gives me some additional defence against Drake (without having to risk Chance or Shiranui) and provides me with a good Water-user for Steven.

And yes, she's named for one of Xenoblade's Nopon. W2's Zazadan started a tradition.

Current Team:
    Chance, level 50 (M)
    Folk, level 48 (M)
    Razor, level 48 (F)
    Dillon, level 48 (M)
    Shiranui, level 48 (M)
    Kilaki, level 37 (F)

The Fallen:
    Revali, level 6-24 (Killed by Brendan's Combusken's Flame Charge)
    Callie, level 5-17 (Killed by wild Sandshrew's Magnitude)
    Last edited by Earth Wolf-Howl; 23rd April 2017 at 12:09 PM.

Right, so I've come to the conclusion that the standard Nuzlocke rules are getting a little stale for me. So I decided to start a Wedlocke to make things more interesting!

My rules are:
    -Standard Wedlocke rules apply- save for the last. I can rotate teams, but unless a partner is killed, the pair is permanently bonded. If they join the team again, they join as that pair.
    -Dupes and Shiny Clause are on.
    -EXP Share is off.

I started the game with a Torchic- Coincidentally female, Quiet, nicknamed Zeal after my EoT partner. I beat my rival easily, and soon after, caught her partner, the Dexnav Poochyena, named Ike. I carried on, catching Thistle the Zigzagoon/Jabber the Wurmple/Beautifly along the way. I carried on with the game, catching Phoenix the Taillow and Jamboree the Shroomish. I was training, when suddenly...

I managed to find a shiny Wurmple! I caught her, named her Violin and added her to my team. Fortunately, she evolved into Silcoon, so I took Thistle and Jabber from my team and put her in instead.

I carried on, taking out the Team Magma member easily with Zeal, and carried on to Rustboro, where I caught Violin's partner, Boomer the Whismur, and Bucky the Skitty.

Team so far:
    Zeal, level 16 (F)/ Ike, level 13 (M)
    Phoenix, level 13 (M)/ Jamboree, level 13 (F)
    *Violin, level 12 (F)/ Boomer, level 12 (M)

Following my White Nuzlocke, I decided to embark on my first-ever Wonderlocke in Y.

• I was pretty pleased (and amused) to wind up with Pikachu as my starter (though his natural frailty, only worsened by his Nature, makes me a little nervous about his durability.)
    • My second addition, Throh, was tricky to train at first, since he could only inflict damage with "Bind" and "Bide" until he learned "Seismic Toss" at Lv. 13. (Thankfully, he could utilize the "Return" and "Bulldoze" TMs I acquired in Lumiose City.)
    • Metapod evolved into Butterfree following a truly glorious (anime-inspired) Metapod-on-Metapod match against Schoolboy Rabbie on Route 22. Her Compound Eyes Ability + powder move arsenal make for a very nifty combo!

THE BUG BADGE: I figured it was fitting to start with my starter in my first Kalosian Gym battle, and Pikachu's "Thunder Shock" made him into a living bug zapper for Viola's Surskit. Worried about Pikachu getting trapped by "Infestation", I brought out Butterfree for a butterfly brawl against Viola's Vivillon. Although the effects of Butterfree's "Sleep Powder" wore off surprisingly fast, a "Poison Powder" + "Confusion" combo eventually earned me the Bug Badge.

• I was starting to feel pretty unenthusiastic about my team, partially because a lot of my options were Pokémon that I would've likely gotten/have previously used in a Nuzlocke - until Shroomish and Čvoli (Eevee) re-ignited my excitement! I considered evolving Čvoli into Vaporeon or Sylveon (Glaceon would've been tempting, since I've never used one before, but the Ice Rock is always buried SO deep in the game.) Ultimately, I couldn't resist the chance to travel with my all-time favorite: Espeon. I haven't included one in a team since my very first Black 2 playthrough.

THE CLIFF BADGE: Unsurprisingly, the Rock-type Cyllage City Gym set the perfect stage for the Throh Show. After he outsped and one-shotted Grant's Amaura with his recently-learned "Storm Throw", I decided to mix things up a little to avoid having the fastest, easiest Gym match ever. I tried "Bulldoze" instead, which Grant's Tyrunt withstood, then swapped in Shroomish to drop "Leech Seed." Although I would've liked to keep Shroomish on the field, she was taking much damage from Tyrunt's "Rock Tomb", so I brought back Throh for one more "Storm Throw", thus earning me the Cliff Badge.

Spoiler:- Current Roster:

• I'm holding off on evolving Charmander until he learns "Flame Burst" (which hopefully doesn't prove to be a fatal mistake, since I haven't looked up exactly when that'll happen.) Same goes for Shroomish and "Spore" (though I know I'll be waiting a while for that one.)

Spoiler:- Sycamored:

Spoiler:- Deceased:

Spoiler:- My Rules:
    Last edited by crystalphoenix88; 8th July 2017 at 1:11 AM.

With my fourth Gym Badge in hand, I've reached the halfway point of my Y Wonderlocke.

• Serena truly earned the title of "rival" by causing my team's first death during our first-ever battle at the Tower of Mastery. Butterfree breezed through Meowstic and Absol with "Silver Wind", but when Serena's starter emerged, I decided to bring out Charmeleon (who'd evolved while traversing Reflection Cave) and turn our match into a real firefight. His "Rock Tomb" inflicted less damage than I expected, allowing Braixen to trap him on the field with "Fire Spin" and blast away with "Psybeam." RIP. Although I won the coveted Mega Ring after Pikachu easily eliminated Braixen with "Quick Attack", it certainly wasn't worth the cost of Charmeleon's life.

THE RUMBLE BADGE: Korrina's Fighting-focused Shalour City Gym seemed like the perfect opportunity for Espeon to make his Gym battle debut. After enduring a "Fake Out" from Mienfoo, Espeon obliterated both her and Machoke with "Psybeam." After showering Korrina's ace, Hawlucha, with "Sand Attack", Espeon bowed out so that Butterfree could enjoy a little time in the limelight (partially because I didn't plan to keep her on the team for much longer.) Butterfree showed how bugs can totally dominate birds by blasting her way to victory with "Psybeam", thus earning me the Rumble Badge.

• As much as I enjoyed travelling with Butterfree, who certainly exceeded expectations for an early-game Bug-type, I knew it was time to send her into early retirement when I received a Tirtouga (in exchange for a Tentacool) as my Azure Bay addition. I'd been hoping for a Water-type for a while (besides Magikarp, since I've used Gyarados in several prior playthroughs), and this will be my very first time raising a Tirtouga.

THE PLANT BADGE: Mowing down Coumarine City Gym Leader Ramos proved to be an even easier task than I expected. Nidorino (who I'd added to the team after Charmeleon's untimely demise) surprisingly outsped Jumpluff and annihilated him with a single "Poison Jab." Knowing that Ramos's Gogoat could utilize "Bulldoze", I replaced Nidorino with Throh, who effortlessly endured both "Bulldoze" and "Take Down." After boosting his power with "Bulk Up", Throh decimated Gogoat with "Poison Jab" and Weepinbell with "Strength", thus earning me the Plant Badge.

Last edited by crystalphoenix88; 8th July 2017 at 1:07 AM.

Due to the short gaps between the third through sixth Kalos League Gyms, I've been progressing at a pretty fast clip in my Y Wonderlocke.

THE VOLTAGE BADGE: I decided to unleash my two most-recently-evolved teammates on the Electric-centric Lumiose City Gym. Nidoking (who I'd evolved while battling my way up Prism Tower) crushed Clemont's Emolga with a single "Rock Tomb", but sustained a surprising amount of damage from Magneton's "Mirror Shot" while laying down two layers of "Toxic Spikes." Raichu (who I'd evolved after chasing Team Flare out of the Kalos Power Plant) eventually wore down the Magnet Pokémon with "Dig", but needed to retreat before he had the chance to finish off Clemont's ace: Heliolisk. I relied on the unexpectedly-dependable Shroomish to bring this match to a close with "Leech Seed" and "Giga Drain", thus earning me the Voltage Badge.

THE FAIRY BADGE: Nidoking's "Toxic Spikes" provided invaluable assistance in my victory over Laverre City Gym Leader Valerie. Since her lead, Mawile, only utilized Dark-type moves and "Iron Defense", I was given the perfect opportunity to set two layers on the field before seizing the first win with a "Dig" onslaught. Although Mr. Mime's screen moves could've proved tricky, the bad posion brought on by "Toxic Spikes" allowed Espeon to chip away at the Barrier Pokémon with some "Dig" strikes of his own. As much as I loved the idea of an Eeveelution showdown for my Laverre Gym finale, Sylveon's "Dazzling Gleam" hit Espeon hard, so I made one last substitution and brought Tirtouga into his first-ever Gym battle. Thanks to both Nidoking's "Toxic Spikes" and Espeon's "Dig", Tirtouga only needed to unleash a single "Aqua Tail" to end the match, thus earning me the Fairy Badge. Bolstered by this momentous triumph, Tirtouga evolved!

Last edited by crystalphoenix88; 8th July 2017 at 1:04 AM.

Attempting a run in Omega Ruby with the basic rules, and Dupes Clause. Also, I'll try not to rely too heavily on Mega Evolution. And my nicknaming theme this time around will be.... figures in Norse Mythology! My starter will be Surt the Torchic!

Not sure if I should double-post here or not (I see other users do it sometimes in various challenge threads), but I have a huge update.

Current amount of badges: 2.
    Deaths: 0

Current team:
    Surt the level 22 Combusken (Route 101)
    Fenrir the level 15 Poochyena (Route 103)
    Baldr the level 15 Dustox (Route 102)
    Bragi the level 15 Whismur (Rusturf Tunnel)
    Thor the level 10 Electrike (Route 110)
    Valkyrie the level 10 Nincada (Route 116)

PC backup:
    Ratatoskr the level 12 Zigzagoon (Route 104)
    Hreidmar the level 12 Slakoth (Petalburg Woods)
    Frigg the level 10 Magikarp (Dewford Town)
    Hel the level 15 Zubat (Granite Cave)
    Kraken the level 11 Tentacool (Route 107)

And now to take on Team Magma in the Oceanic Museum...

I've officially collected all eight Kalos League Gym Badges in my Y Wonderlocke.

• In an attempt to keep my main team from getting TOO over-leveled (which is definitely an issue with the traded-EXP-boosts), I started rotating in Butterfree and Latios Niv34 (Linoone.) Even this late in the game, Butterfree performed beautifully against most Route Trainers (especially after learning "Bug Buzz" and "Quiver Dance.") Linoone's learnset is pretty terrible, though (even by regional rodent standards.) While Raticate, Bibarel, Watchog, and Gumshoos have options like "Hyper Fang", "Super Fang", and "Crunch", Linoone doesn't even learn "Slash" until Lv. 47! At least "Pin Missile" offers some variety (and "Play Rough", once I reached Dendemille Town.)
    • I was REALLY excited to get Gligar as my Route 17 acquisition (in exchange for Sneasel), since I've never used one in any prior playthrough…until I learned that the Razor Fang is ONLY available in the Battle Maison! I decided to give him a shot with Eviolite, and while he managed to hold his own pretty well while leveling-up in the Battle Chateau, he wasn't able to contribute much in my match against Serena in Anistar City. If I don't take the time to set up with "Swords Dance", his offensive power is pretty lackluster (and it doesn't help that I don't have access to "Earthquake" yet.)

THE PSYCHIC BADGE: Although Olympia is officially a Psychic-type specialist, Raichu benefitted from the fact that 2/3 of her team share a vulnerability to electricity. A single Magnet-boosted "Thunderbolt" grounded her Sigilyph, so I decided to mix things up with "Nuzzle" when her Slowking emerged. Unfortunately, this left Raichu susceptible to Slowking's "Yawn", so I had to recall him after he finished frying the Royal Pokémon with "Thunderbolt." On the bright side, this created the perfect opportunity to bring out Gligar, who showed his defensive potential by brushing off Meowstic's "Fake Out" and withstanding two "Psychic" blasts before slicing his way to victory with "X Scissor", thus earning me the Psychic Badge.

• I was pleasantly surprised to make it through the entire Team Flare climax fatality-free! Espeon, Carracosta, and Breloom (who'd finally evolved back in Frost Cavern) proved especially helpful against Lysandre. Breloom in particular deserves some commendation for going head-to-head with Lysandre's Mega Gyarados (at the same level.) Carracosta bore the brunt of Gyarados's Intimidate after taking down Pyroar and Honchkrow, which allowed Breloom to switch into a meager "Earthquake", fire off "Spore" for safety, and finally put Lysandre's ambitions to rest with a Miracle Seed-boosted "Seed Bomb."
    • Gligar's fate was sealed the moment I received Phanpy as my Terminus Cave addition (in exchange for Durant.) Phanpy/Donphan are some of my all-time-favorites, and I haven't used one on a team since my first SoulSilver playthrough. I can't justify keeping three Ground-types in rotation at this point, and seeing as Phanpy actually CAN evolve before the credits roll, the choice is clear. She arrived at Lv. 23, and upon visiting the Move Reminder, I discovered that she has access to the Egg moves "Ice Shard" AND "Play Rough." She evolved following a battle alongside Raichu against some Twins in the Winding Woods. At least Gligar will always be remembered for contributing to my Anistar Gym victory.
    • Just as Charmeleon fell to Serena back at the Tower of Mastery, my team's second death also came at the hands of another friend/"rival": Tierno. Although Throh had already sustained some damage from Shauna's Goodra, I was totally confident that he could quickly finish off Tierno's Crawdaunt with one super-effective "Storm Throw"; much to my surprise, this tragic miscalculation cost Throh his life. Throh's death was especially devastating, since he'd been a strong contender for this journey's MVP, overcoming his detrimental Nature and shallow early movepool. As a Pokémon species, Throh never appealed to me much, but this one's bulk proved invaluable on many occasions during this playthrough. Although his Fighting-type did overlap with Breloom once she finally evolved, I'd still envisioned taking on the Elite Four with Throh by my side. RIP.

THE ICEBERG BADGE: Throh's absence was definitely palpable as I prepped for my eighth and final Kalos Gym match against Ice-type authority Wulfric. I opted to lead with Espeon, who secured the first victory over Wulfric's Abomasnow with two blasts of Fighting-type "Hidden Power." Fearing "Crunch" from Wulfric's ace, Avalugg, I replaced Espeon with Raichu, who still wound up with more than half of his health eaten away, partially due to the lingering Hail brought on by Abomasnow's Snow Warning. Thankfully, "Crunch" triggered Raichu's Static, which made it easier for Carracosta to reduce the Iceberg Pokémon to ice cubes without sustaining too much damage. Although Cryogonal's "Confuse Ray" had me sweating amidst all this snow, Carracosta eventually broke through the haze and landed a super-effective "Rock Slide", this earning me the Iceberg Badge.

I've officially become the Kalos League Champion in my Y Wonderlocke. Huzzah!

• It was a tough call, but I decided not to bring Nidoking to the Pokémon League. I'd been mulling over how to counter (former) Champion Diantha's Mega Gardevoir for a while, and realized that my team really lacked anyone with respectable Special Defense. I'll always remember and appreciate Nidoking's contributions at the Coumarine, Lumiose, AND Laverre Gyms, but I felt the need to recruit someone with better bulk (and more useful resistances) for the last obstacle of my journey. Magnemite, who I'd received in exchange for an Ursaring from Route 21, seemed like just the Mon for the job. Since my attempt at incorporating Gligar into my team didn't quite pan out (mostly due to Donphan stealing his thunder), I attached the Eviolite to Magneton instead.

VS MALVA: I considered using a "Shell Smash" strategy for my Elite Four debut against Fire-type fiend Malva, but opted to keep Carracosta's bulk intact and just went with all-out-offense instead. "Aqua Tail" washed away Pyroar, Torkoal, and Chandelure, but by the time Malva's Talonflame swooped onto the battlefield, Carracosta had accumulated quite a bit of damage from "Wild Charge", "Earthquake", and "Shadow Ball." I switched in Donphan, but because I'd foolishly forgotten to teach her "Rock Slide", she could only chip away at Talonflame with "Ice Shard" and "Play Rough." Thankfully, Malva decided to utilize a Full Restore just as I decided to bring out Magneton. My alloy ally truly earned its right to be at the Pokémon League by withstanding a "Flare Blitz" and finishing the match with "Thunderbolt."

VS SIEBOLD: Since I didn't expect him to be particularly useful against the last two Elite Four members or the Champion, I let my dear starter, Raichu, bask in the spotlight against Siebold. He fried both Clawitzer and Gyarados with a single "Thunderbolt", then tripped up Barbaracle with just one "Grass Knot." A clean sweep at the Pokémon League didn't feel very artful, though, so when Siebold's Starmie surfaced, I swapped in Espeon for a brief Psychic showdown. Even with "Light Screen" in place, Espeon sent Starmie down the drain with two "Shadow Ball" blasts.

VS DRASNA: I'd assumed that Donphan could tear right through Drasna's den of Dragons, but she proved me very wrong by serving up one of the trickiest matches of my entire Kalosian journey. Donphan VS Dragalge went just as I expected, with a single "Earthquake" shaking the Mock Kelp Pokémon into submission. Her Altaria, however, proved to be her real secret weapon. Donphan's "Play Rough" failed to seize the win in one hit, giving Altaria the time to set up "Cotton Guard" and Drasna the time to use a Full Restore. Although Altaria's first "Sing" missed its mark, I couldn't risk Donphan falling asleep, so I brought out Magneton while Drasna used another Full Restore. Magneton soon fell asleep, but successfully sponged hits while snoozing, until it finally awoke and landed "Toxic." At this point, I probably should've just left Magneton on the field, but I decided to send out Carracosta, who wound up falling prey to "Sing" as well. Fortunately, "Toxic" slowly but surely took its toll on Altaria while Carracosta slumbered. I didn't want to pit an incapacitated Carracosta against Drasna's Druddigon, however, so I brought back Donphan. The surprises continued, as Druddigon promptly removed Donphan from the field with "Dragon Tail" and dragged out Breloom, who I hadn't planned to use in this match at all. I took this chance to do some sleep shenanigans of my own: firing off "Spore" and taking Druddigon out of the match with a "Power-Up Punch" pummeling. Knowing that Breloom couldn't withstand any Flying-type moves from Drasna's Noivern, I called upon Donphan once again, who took more damage from a single "Air Slash" than I'd anticipated. Desperately trying to avoid any deaths, I gave Carracosta another chance, but he refused to wake up, so I rotated in Magneton again. Magneton took "Flamethrower" a bit better than I expected, but after landing "Toxic", I knew that I couldn't keep it out any longer. With few options left, I placed my trust in Espeon, who withstood "Flamethrower" and finally brought this crucial confrontation to an end with a critical-hit "Dazzling Gleam."

VS WIKSTROM: Although not quite as stressful as my match against Drasna, my bout with the chivalrous and Steel-clad Wikstrom still caught me somewhat off-guard. Donphan buried his Klefki with a single "Earthquake", then unleashed an "Ice Shard" + "Earthquake" combo to break through Probopass's Sturdy (and the lingering effects of Klefki's "Torment.") When Wikstrom's Aegislash entered the ring, however, I realized that I wasn't sufficiently prepared. "King's Shield" really threw me for a loop, allowing Aegislash to thoroughly cripple both Donphan and Breloom before finally falling to Carracosta's "Aqua Tail." Despite claiming victory, Carracosta did not escape that round unscathed, so I had to withdraw him once Wikstrom's Scizor appeared. Thankfully, bulky Magneton was still raring to go, and finished off Wikstrom's final fighter with a series of "Thunderbolt" jolts.

VS DIANTHA: With the title of Kalos League Champion on the line, my devoted starter Raichu got the momentum rolling in my favor early on by instantly KO'ing Diantha's Hawlucha with "Thunderbolt." I swapped in Breloom against her imposing Tyrantrum and immediately unleashed "Spore" (just in case one "Brick Break" wasn't sufficient.) Breloom easily chopped through the fearsome fossil, but in order to save her from Aurorus's devastating "Blizzard", I continued the switch-fest by bringing out Carracosta. Carracosta took both "Blizzard" and "Thunder" like a champ, eventually downing the dino with a "Rock Slide" + "Aqua Tail" combo. Due to Carracosta's massive Grass weakness, I had to withdraw him as soon as Diantha's Gourgeist appeared. I'd hoped that Espeon could withstand a Grass attack and finish things with "Shadow Ball"; however, "Seed Bomb" hit hard enough that a "Shadow Sneak" would've certainly killed Espeon, so I had to adjust my plans. Donphan shrugged off the "Shadow Sneak", but was unable to inflict significant damage with "Fire Fang" due to the "Reflect" set up by Aurorus. After Gourgeist used "Trick-or-Treat" to imbue Donphan with Ghost-type attributes, I needed to re-strategize once again. Carracosta took "Phantom Force" without much trouble, but needed to exit again as soon as Diantha utilized a Full Restore on Gourgeist. Whittling away at the pesky pumpkin with Breloom's "Rock Slide" didn't prove especially fruitful, due to a surprise Sitrus Berry and Diantha's Full Restore supply, but eventually maanged to set the stage for Donphan to switch into a "Phantom Force" and unleash a final "Fire Fang." Much to my surprise, Gourgeist turned out to be my greatest obstacle in this match, as Donphan (who was admittedly a bit over-levelled at this point) steamrolled the rest of Diantha's roster with "Play Rough" (Goodra) and "Earthquake" (Mega Gardevoir), thus earning me the title of Kalos League Champion.

Spoiler:- Hall of Fame Roster:

FINAL THOUGHTS & PSA: Raichu showed himself to be a shockingly resilient starter! I was almost certain that he and/or Espeon would fall before I reached the Pokémon League. Same goes for Breloom, actually, who wound up being surprisingly usable throughout my journey, even before she finally evolved in the mid-40's (after learning "Spore.") I never grew quite as attached to Nidoking, and I'm really not sure why, but I still feel a bit bad for denying him any Pokémon League glory after he contributed quite a bit along the road there. I would've made Donphan work no matter what, but having access to "Ice Shard" and "Play Rough" (in addition to her natural bulk) made her an especially critical acquisiton for that final stretch. I was surprised to not need Magneton to counter Mega Gardevoir after all, but it still fought to deserve its place on the final team, especially against Malva and Wikstrom.

Although I did enjoy this playthrough and the team that I gradually built (including everyone we lost or rotated out along the way), I wouldn't recommend doing a Gen VI Wonderlocke to anyone now, unless you really want the challenge of working with a roster filled with mostly common early-Route Pokémon. SuMo had been out for several months before I even started this Wonderlocke, so I figured that many of the players who used to send breedjects through Wonder Trade had long since moved onto Gen VII, but I was still hoping to receive a slightly more diverse mix of offerings (the Dupes Clause definitely saved me from an even more dire Zigzagoon + Zubat + Bunnelby situation.) Huge "THANKS!" to anyone who took the time to read about my adventure, and happy gaming!

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415