Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Genesect & The Legend Awakened (M16)

Quote Originally Posted by Snivy18 View Post
    Just watched the movie probably a week ago.

To be honest, I didn't really like it. It was really understandable, but just how some ways the characters acted, they are really just weird to me...

One, really important to me, was Mewtwo. I'm always wondering how Mewtwo started to protect Pokemon with all her (or its) life. It seems weird, as I thought Mewtwo would be friendly to Ash, since it would recognize him. But it seems to me as if it just first met Ash. I mean, such as with Girintina, in M12, Girintina remembered Ash after flying with him in the Torn World.
    You do realize this is a different Mewtwo altogether, right? Even the movie points it out several times.

~ Rabbid Mario: Watch out, we have a badass over here. ~

Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Splatoon 2 - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    You do realize this is a different Mewtwo altogether, right? Even the movie points it out several times.
    The question I have, since it's clearly a different Mewtwo... is how did they make another one? All the scientists who worked on the one TRUE Mewtwo died. When did they have time to make another?

(And when I say clearly, the original had a much deeper masculine voice, than the obvious feminine one this one had.)

Actually, what raises even more questions, is how does Mewtwo get mega stones? It's not a natural Pokemon, it's manmade. So either Megastones are Manmade, or something made it just for that pokemon and it must have done so very recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.JimmyRustles View Post
    The question I have, since it's clearly a different Mewtwo... is how did they make another one? All the scientists who worked on the one TRUE Mewtwo died. When did they have time to make another?

(And when I say clearly, the original had a much deeper masculine voice, than the obvious feminine one this one had.)

Actually, what raises even more questions, is how does Mewtwo get mega stones? It's not a natural Pokemon, it's manmade. So either Megastones are Manmade, or something made it just for that pokemon and it must have done so very recently.
    Take in mind that this was the writers knowing absolutely nothing about the Mega Evolution mechanic before it was made public (though of course they were told about it, maybe even knowing the mechanic but still wanted to let femMewtwo go trainer-less), so you may as well pretend that femMewtwo here was changing formes at will.

Alternatively, those experiments somehow channeled all that strange energy theory that made Mega Stones, but that's just stretching it.

~ Rabbid Mario: Watch out, we have a badass over here. ~

Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Splatoon 2 - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

I still call the Red Genesect "Shredder" Genesect in the dub version.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.JimmyRustles View Post
    The real question should be "How did they get the exact same cloning and gene splicing results when all of the notes and information about the original Mewtwo are destroyed and permanently erased from memory?" And the answer is "Because shut up."

Considering they didn't even bother trying to make a motivation for the scientists in this one, my guess is someone got drunk and had the most brilliant idea in the world, and everyone decided to follow along without question believing they wouldn't have to face the consequences because science. Unless they were just doing it for the sake of being evil, but there's no point to it if there's no proof that that was their motivation. It speaks volumes about the competence of the screenwriter and I suppose the director in how much he cared about the end result when we have an entire backstory dedicated to the creation of the original Mewtwo and next-to-zilch on this one.

AuraChannelerChris I think gave a good answer, but it's nothing more than a theory because they never bothered to answer it, not even in the prologue special. We can pretend it's fairy magic and it would still be plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Zard View Post
    I still call the Red Genesect "Shredder" Genesect in the dub version.
    Heh, I can get behind that.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 30th January 2015 at 9:01 PM.
    Winner of Best Non-Pokémon Fic of 2016 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 8 - 3/10/16 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

Several Things:

1. Charon, is that you? Well, we didn't actually see him get arrested in the Anime, did we?

2. Sure, the previous Mewtwo wiped TRs memories of their meeting in Johto, but they still have the Data concerning Mewtwo in their Computers. Maybe Charon got the info off the Black Market & made some modifications to the design. Giving Mewtwo the power of Independant Mega Evolution.

3. I've asked this question several times on Facebook Groups & other Forums, and so I post it here.

When is the UK gonna get this movie on DVD?

America have had it on DVD for about 2 years.
    IGN: Ross

F.C: 2337-3409-8654

This was my most anticipated Pokemon film until I saw the female Mewtwo. Sorry, but I didn't like her one bit and I wanted the original Mewtwo to be here. 3/10

For me the only good scene in the movie was when the Red Genesect and Mewtwo went to space and the city at night battle scene.

I finally got to see this movie by downloading it (I'll get the DVD eventually, I just wanted to finish up all Unova material). It wasn't one of the more memorable movies, but I liked that Mewtwo found kind of a kindred spirit in a pokemon that was created and altered by humans that is wanting to find a place in this world. And at least Team Rocket had speaking roles unlike the Kyurem movie, but I wish they would have a bigger role again.

5/10
    New shinies week of 9/7-9/14: None, playing Moon
    New shinies week of 9/14-9/21: None, playing Moon

Currently hunting/MM'ing: ; playing Moon

F/riend codes: 4571-0519-1537, 4571-0519-6173
    I still need some codes! Please add me and PM me, I'd appreciate it.
    -

Pretty awesome movie. Shiny Genesect was great. Mewtwo mega evolving in the movie was also neat. 10/10 for me.

I liked how Ash befriended the Douse Genesect and I felt sad that the Genesect group's former home didn't exist anymore. The shiny Genesect was aggressive, but seeing Mewtwo befriend it in the atmosphere was cool. :3

So a while back I rewatched this and wrote probably the longest and most in-depth review anyone's given this movie (reccommend reading it, but there is strong language). Jesus, I didn't think I could hate this movie more than I already did, but there are so many things I didn't notice the first time around (like Ash sympathising with the violent militia what injured and kicked several Pokémon out with force, and not the Pokemon who are rightfully mad and want their home back) that the whole Mewtwo debacle seems minor.

And thus I return back to the shadows from whence I came.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

Interesting character dynamics! Unique plot for a Pokemon movie! Superb acting! And stakes kept the blood running!

Just kidding.

This movie was sad and not in the good way.

The character dynamic between Genesect and Mewtwo was best done with the original because you've seen the original's struggle with life. You saw Amber-two die. You felt sad. After seeing that, what on earth made the writers think that rehashing it was a good idea? We didn't even see Newtwo have a reason to exist outside of executive meddling. It speaks volume when the dub voice actress said that this was probably a terrifying and fuse-lighting situation.

It's just another generic "not evil, just misunderstood" type of plot.

The acting was good in Japan, but meh here in the states. It's not as bad as XY's dubbing, but not good either. Good grief, Douse Drive Genesect feels so out of place.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

"Resistance. Rebellion. You will burn these ideas away."

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

This is where the infamous female Mewtwo appeared. Yuck. We deserved to see the male one from Mewtwo Strikes Back, not this knock off version with a copied origin story.

…Ooh boy…

To get this out of the way immediately: I don’t object to there being more than one Mewtwo. I don’t object to the second Mewtwo being female. I don’t object to Mewtwo having a Mega evolution.

I object to doing all these things poorly.

There’s a second Mewtwo? Fine. Explain this! This isn’t like Ash meeting other Lucario after Movie 8, or even meeting other Legendary Birds after Movie 2. Mewtwo is a genetic experiment, with a fairly detailed back story. Even playing by the logic of the sci-fi/fantasy world of loose continuity that is Pokemon, the idea that another team of scientists would come up with a clone of Mew with the exact same genetic deviations as the clone paid for by Team Rocket is a stretch at best. And why does Ash seem to not know what Mewtwo is? Sure, he wouldn’t know this individual Mewtwo, but he would know the species! BW is the series that mentioned Butterfree and brought back Charizard - continuity still counted for something then.

The second Mewtwo is female? Great. Get a good VA! I’ll have more to say about TCPi’s dub in a minute, but Mewtwo’s is the only voice that I would fault on the actual performance. The VA seemed to aim for a stoic and thoughtful voice, but more often than not, came off as stiff and cold. It reminded me of a lot of acting you see in those sword-and-sandal B-movies from the 50s and 60s, where everyone in the cast takes the script way too seriously.

Mewtwo has a Mega evolution? Fantastic. Put effort into the design! Seriously, why does the Mega form look less powerful and intimidating than the base form?

But setting aside the big returning star, Genesect has a lot of problems. Chief among them is a major miscalculation in story. Only one of the Genesects is given a real personality and sympathetic characteristics. The red Genesect is a one-note jerk, and the other three are just members of a hive. Because there’s so little to them as characters, you can’t claim that their eventual turn to Good is out-of-character…but it’s not an earned development either. It’s just arbitrary, and it holds no weight, because there’s been no reason given to care about any of them save one. And, if I’m being honest, that one got kind of annoying, with his “I want to go home” catchphrase repeated with the same intonation so many times.

And, to get back to Mewtwo - once you get over the initial appeal of seeing one of the most iconic of the original Pokemon back in action , Mewtwo’s kind of…there. She’s involved in the action, and the effort to make her sympathetic to the Genesect’s cause while wanting to protect the other Pokemon was a noble one, but between her poor casting and the weaknesses in the Genesects’ characters, it just doesn’t gel. And Mewtwo’s actions don’t really drive the change of heart for the Genesects, other than the red one. But his turn would have had more impact IMO had his hive been responsible for it. So, at the end of the day, Mewtwo just doesn’t need to be there.

When it comes to the main cast, the movies by this point had developed a strong pattern, with the odd deviation: they’d stumble into a mess they had no connection with, the male travelling companion would be sidelined with nothing to do, the female travelling companion would get no meaningful story or arc of her own but would play back-up to Ash, and Ash would serve as a deus ex machina for the big conflict. I was fully expecting the same basic scenario here. I got two surprises: Cilan was given a “bring the cavalry” moment, and Iris didn’t really back Ash up the way Dawn did, so she was the one who ultimately had nothing to do. Ash’s part was about what I expected it to be, which is to say, underwhelming.

And now we’ll come back to the TCPi dub. I’ve mentioned before that the big issue with TCPi isn’t necessarily that the performances are bad, but that they’re miscast. BW offers a perfect example for me to explain my meaning: Cilan. Out of all the post-OS travelling companions, he’s the one I’m most interested in. And his personality and physical acting in the animation are very appealing. But his voice in the dub is just wrong. There’s nothing wrong with Jason Griffith’s performance; he makes a fine go of it as an actor. But a character like Cilan, looking like he does, speaking in the sort of flowery language that he uses, should have a more elegant and flamboyant voice, perhaps with a Mid-Atlantic accent. The very American voice - which sounds much older than a teenager, BTW - does not fit IMO. I have similar issues with Iris - in her case, the voice sounds too young, and too sweet, for the personality she’s meant to possess.

I’ll give this film credit for not having as many pacing issues as some of the others. The TRio’s “why are we even here” antics slow things down, as does lingering for too long on those construction workers, but the movie doesn’t really have any dead spots and moves along at a brisk pace. There was some nice animation too. But there was some dodgy animation as well, the first time I’ve felt that about one of the Pokefilms. A certain laziness dogs this movie. It’s most notable in the lack of character for the Genesects and any explanation for a second Mewtwo, but the whole idea of two groups of Pokemon coming to blows, with Ash and (a) Mewtwo being in the middle, is recycled. To be fair, it shares only the most bare of bones with the first Pokefilm, and those bones come to an incomplete skeleton at that. But when combined with the other flaws of this film, that borrowing of plot grows more noticeable.

I’ll say this: I was more attentive watching Genesect than I was, say, Pokemon Heroes, which left me bored more than once. But I was so attentive here because there was so much that seemed off. While I personally think Deoxys was worse, I'm not surprised that this one is at the bottom of so many lists.

(And it has the most forgettable CotD to date. Seriously, all I remember about that guy is that he was on-screen for some of the running time.)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567