Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 6th Generation Competitive Metagame Discussion

I'm really liking Mega Manetric as a Volt Turner. Intimidate really comes in handy when keeping up the offensive pressure, and it actually makes a decent late game cleaner.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Tyrantitar is still going to be a beast in this generation, despite all the weaknesses and new fairy type threats. The assault vest gave it more options and less predictability to go with it.

I see it as an effective check or counter to MegaGengar where he can potentially KO with pursuit, crunch, or EQ since it lost its levitate. According to calculations, with careful nature, sandstream, and assault vest, it can reach up to 738 sp. def. So yeah, it's more specially tanky than Blissey. From other sources, it's able to survive a focus blast or two from MegaGengar, as well as about 5-6 hydro pumps from Rotom Wash which makes it a bit ridiculous. Though with that setup, it leaves it a bit weak on the physical defense side, where bullet punch from Scizor can give it trouble.

Anyway, at the very least, without frisk, you'd think it could be running a choice band/scarf set. MegaTTar is also something else as dragon dance is an option for it once again in this generation, but it'll at least tell you what item it has.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsuneko View Post
    Tyrantitar is still going to be a beast in this generation, despite all the weaknesses and new fairy type threats. The assault vest gave it more options and less predictability to go with it.

I see it as an effective check or counter to MegaGengar where he can potentially KO with pursuit, crunch, or EQ since it lost its levitate. According to calculations, with careful nature, sandstream, and assault vest, it can reach up to 738 sp. def. So yeah, it's more specially tanky than Blissey. From other sources, it's able to survive a focus blast or two from MegaGengar, as well as about 5-6 hydro pumps from Rotom Wash which makes it a bit ridiculous. Though with that setup, it leaves it a bit weak on the physical defense side, where bullet punch from Scizor can give it trouble.

Anyway, at the very least, without frisk, you'd think it could be running a choice band/scarf set. MegaTTar is also something else as dragon dance is an option for it once again in this generation, but it'll at least tell you what item it has.
    Without a doubt, fighting types are not going to be anywhere as common because of the Fairy types which makes Tyranitar much safer to use because Sand Stream can give it a 1.5 Special Defense Boost to protect itself from a 1 Hit KO from a Fairy Type attack. My biggest wonder is whether Blissey is going to be Normal/Fairy. I mean just because Chansey is not a Fairy doesn't necessarily mean that Blissey cannot be one. I mean, Chansey overshadowed Blissey completely with Evolite but if Blissey gains the Fairy typing then it'll give it a niche over its younger sister: although, the thought of Blissey being part Fairy makes me wonder whether it will be Banished to Ubers because it has more than one resistance with its herculean HP and Special Defense...
    Pokemon X: 1435 - 4013 - 1487 (,,)

I am searching for the following Pokemon
    (Modest), (Modest), (Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Jolly/Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Modest), (Jolly/Adamant)

I can provide you with the following Pokemon…
    (Timid), (Jolly), (Timid), (Rash), (Bold), (Careful), (Relaxed with Seismic Toss).

I’m also offering a legit Shiny Foongus. Looking for a good natured shiny in return!

With the defog buff, Crobat will probably be used even more now as it's so much faster than lots of other pokemon and can Taunt+Defog and U-Turn out if necessary. Not sure if this will make it rise up to OU, but it's definitely looking very promising right now.

For Mega Evolutions, Mega Garchomp and Mega Gengar are extremely good right now. Mega Garchomp is the ultimate wallbreaker. He hits so hard not many pokemon can take just one of his hits (save for Mega Aggron) and Mega Gengar is just so good as a revenge killer right now. Shadow Tag works so well on him and makes me love Mega Gengar so much more.

My 3DS FC: 3067-5353-8848

Picture credits go to: http://amastroph.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalMovies View Post
    For Mega Evolutions, Mega Garchomp and Mega Gengar are extremely good right now. Mega Garchomp is the ultimate wallbreaker. He hits so hard not many pokemon can take just one of his hits (save for Mega Aggron) and Mega Gengar is just so good as a revenge killer right now. Shadow Tag works so well on him and makes me love Mega Gengar so much more.
    Mega Garchomp does the most damage only in Sand though, and its lowered speed leaves it susceptible to ice beam users and other Dragon types. Mega Lucario is IMO, either the best or second best Mega right now. Lucario was a great Late game sweeper before, and with Adaptability and being a speed tier above even Lati@s in Mega form, it's an even better sweeper now! Even Skarmory is easily 2HKOed by a +2 close combat.

Credit to Ayra for the profile pic.
    ASB squad- http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...0#post16972170
    I have claimed Kabutops, destroyer of all! Fear me or perish!

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Demon View Post
    Without a doubt, fighting types are not going to be anywhere as common because of the Fairy types which makes Tyranitar much safer to use because Sand Stream can give it a 1.5 Special Defense Boost to protect itself from a 1 Hit KO from a Fairy Type attack. My biggest wonder is whether Blissey is going to be Normal/Fairy. I mean just because Chansey is not a Fairy doesn't necessarily mean that Blissey cannot be one. I mean, Chansey overshadowed Blissey completely with Evolite but if Blissey gains the Fairy typing then it'll give it a niche over its younger sister: although, the thought of Blissey being part Fairy makes me wonder whether it will be Banished to Ubers because it has more than one resistance with its herculean HP and Special Defense...
    OH MY GOD DO NOT LET BLISSEY BE FAIRY. FIGHTING WAS THE ONLY WAY TO GET PAST BLISSEY WITH SPECIAL ATTACKS. NOW THEY CAN'T.

IMO, the best item for Tyranitar is Assault Vest. My Mega Gengar did ~70% to one with Focus Blast, which is a testament to Tyranitar's bulk with Assault Vest on.

Avalugg is really something special. It's sad they gave him such a crappy type for 184 Defense, but that's what helps cover up his weaknesses. Fighting, Rock and Steel are usually all physical. To prove my point, did you know that if you had a CB Technician Scizor with Bullet Punch, it would 3HKO Avalugg? It's amazing how bulky this Iceberg is, although it's let down by it's special defense. However, it can still take a non SE special hit and live, as in-game against Wulfric, my Yveltal was lvl 63 with max EVs in SpAtk and I could not one-shot Wulfric's Avalugg with Oblivion Wing. It's sad people were writing him off as NU tier, because he can truly pull a team out of a crazy spot, together with Florges or Sylveon.

He also gets Rapid Spin, which is a gigantic plus since Sticky Web doesn't affect his already terrible speed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Imposter View Post
    OH MY GOD DO NOT LET BLISSEY BE FAIRY. FIGHTING WAS THE ONLY WAY TO GET PAST BLISSEY WITH SPECIAL ATTACKS. NOW THEY CAN'T.
    Blissey is not part Fairy, and neither is Chansey.

I have to ask, what cores have you all seen as especially effective so far in the metagame?

So far, I have seen a lot of success with KeyBlade (Klefki+Agislash), Magic Keys (Klefki+Mega Alakazam), and Spooky Keys (Klefki+Mega Gengar).

As of so far, Klefki has been my bread and butter this gen, being a key part (No pun intended) in pretty much all my team's cores. With prankster and duel screens, I almost always get both screens up, which net me 8 turns of defense boost with light clay. I usually get off a Spikes or two, or a T-wave as well before either setting up with Agislash, or sweeping with Alakazam/Gengar. I've mainly used this in singles, but KeyBlade especially seems to work well in doubles! Not to mention, it's not everyday that you can say you swept your opponate with your "Spooky Keys"!
    My 3DS FC is 0216-0846-6549

We have returned!!! Come check us out!

Has anyone noticed this: walls are now becoming more potent stat wise than type wise.

Before, steels like skarmory, ferrothorn, heatran, and bronzong ruled.
    But now, with the decreasing popularity in dragons, stats are becoming more important.
    I can now see ferro becoming BL, and walls like avalugg and goodra taking over OU.

and before i hear raves about aegislash, because that cheap sucker has stats and type. :P

BTW Has anyone noticed fact a all the kalos special sweepers (delphox, greninja, heliolisk, etc.) carry grass knot?..
    3DS: 0387-9436-2508: Friend Safari has Magmar, Ninetails, and Charmelon!
    PM meh. btw.

( I claim the master of all Grass Warriors )
    Breloom

Legit, non-eventShinys as of Diamond and Pearl:
    and now skrelp!

victini is screwed lol
    PM meh. btw.

Breloom

and now skrelp!

I don't know if I missed any discussion on Noivern but I'm seeing a lot of that guy lately. I am lovin' the fact that both its Abilities +Boomburst are starting to make people think twice about throwing up Subs everywhere. It's pretty fragile and offensively ok, but scouting is where I've really seen it shine. You'd think with the new Fairy typing most Dragons would be scarce. I'm wondering if Noivern will soon be replaced with Crobat though.
    3DS FC: 1821 9722 6232
    Name: Bosch
    Zone: Fighting. Contains Meditite/Pancham/Hariyama
    Currently: breeding 5IV Corphish
    For trade: GEN6 5IV LIST

Quote Originally Posted by unresponsive View Post
    I don't know if I missed any discussion on Noivern but I'm seeing a lot of that guy lately. I am lovin' the fact that both its Abilities +Boomburst are starting to make people think twice about throwing up Subs everywhere. It's pretty fragile and offensively ok, but scouting is where I've really seen it shine. You'd think with the new Fairy typing most Dragons would be scarce. I'm wondering if Noivern will soon be replaced with Crobat though.
    Well, noivern will always have the niche of frisk, so you can scout leads better. And it has a great special movepool, I assume.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgrocks100 View Post
    Has anyone noticed this: walls are now becoming more potent stat wise than type wise.

But now, with the decreasing popularity in dragons, stats are becoming more important.
    I can now see ferro becoming BL, and walls like avalugg and goodra taking over OU.
    Well stats were important in 5th gen as well as typing but now stats are really important than typing. I seen some steel-fairy-dragon type cores lately though.

Quote Originally Posted by unresponsive View Post
    I wouldn't say they're scarce, they're just played with more carefully. I still see em quite often. I don't know how something new can get replaced though. Crobat might see some rise in usage while noivern might not be used as much as expected.

Avalugg would make an amazing pokemon with an assault vest. It can at least somewhat help with the horrible base sp.def

Talonflame should be uu. Even with Gale Wings it doesn't have the base attack to effectively abuse it plus it's walled heatran.

Cred to Astral Shadow for banner
    ASB TL 1, 17 TP
    Play MLG Smash Bros? Contact me @Tythaeus to schedule a match. :]

I suppose it's better like that, so it's not solely based on stats. Taking typing, ability, stats, and movepool into consideration when building a team and a strategy around it.

In a generalized way, both physical and special sweepers will have a hard time without support in this generation. Large amount of special walls, and more moves to hinder/annoy/lower opponent's attack stats. I can think of something that can really annoy a physical setup sweeper, intimidate + prankster will-o-wisp + baby doll eyes. Baby doll eyes being a priority move that lowers the opponent's attack stat. I know you can sort of just straight out burn/cripple something, but on top of this, it would make Umbreon more of a stalling tank for an example.

I just noticed that unaware Quagsire serves as a decent check to common set up phsyical sweepers like lucario , gyarados, etc. I was using it earlier and it just wouldn't die to a phsyical hit.

ASB TL 1, 17 TP

Quote Originally Posted by zombieoverkill12 View Post

Avalugg would make an amazing pokemon with an assault vest. It can at least somewhat help with the horrible base sp.def
    If he runs Assault Vest, he loses Leftovers, which cripples him to no end. I think you're better off just running a special wall for that, stuff like Florges and Sylveon work so very well with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakunamawatta View Post
    I am not sure where this belongs, so i decided to put it there. I have IV bred a scyther (31/31/31/x/31/31). I have not started Ev training it yet because i am not sure if my moveset is good. I will evolve it soon. Can someone tell me if this is good or not.
    Scizor
    Item: Scizornite
    Ability Technician
    Ev 252 atk/252 HP/4 Spe
    Moves: Swords dance
    Pursuit
    Bullet Punch
    Iron head
    It's ok but you're failing to carry one of his most vital assests. Toss away Iron Head because it doesn't give you Technician boosts and throw in Bug Bite. Other than that I think you're all set.

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalMovies View Post
    It's ok but you're failing to carry one of his most vital assests. Toss away Iron Head because it doesn't give you Technician boosts and throw in Bug Bite. Other than that I think you're all set.
    But i wont be able to do that until Poke Transfer is out
    I always like a battle!
    Black 2 Friend code:4900-6497-5068
    3ds Friend Code: 4785-4891-1563

Quote Originally Posted by Hakunamawatta View Post
    But i wont be able to do that until Poke Transfer is out
    X-Scizzor? Better Coverage, for sure.
    PM meh. btw.

Breloom

and now skrelp!

Talonflame should be uu. Even with Gale Wings it doesn't have the base attack to effectively abuse it plus it's walled heatran.[/QUOTE]

Heatran isnt out yet.
    Your arguement is invalid.
    PM meh. btw.

Breloom

and now skrelp!

Would having a spinner and a defog using poke in the same team have benefits?

ASB TL 1, 17 TP

Would having a spinner and a defog using poke in the same team have benefits?
    The only benefit would be on a team with up to 2 hazards, where you can have an easy way to spin plus one that preserves your hazards. Honestly though Defog is probably a lot better on stall teams since there's no longer a huge task to kill the spin blocker and keep your team safe from the hazards that its walls hate, and people just arent using Spikes as much on stall anymore [Forre and Skarmory aren't particularly fantastic this gen with all the megas]. On spike stacking offense rapid spin from Excadrill or Greninja is better since Spikes is a lot of reason for your pressure, plus a good number of Defog mons are slow and kill momnentum. Defog might come in handy at times for spike stacking offense but its definitely not worth going out of your way to include on such a team.

Talonflame should be uu. Even with Gale Wings it doesn't have the base attack to effectively abuse it plus it's walled heatran.
    Till it sits there and sets up swords dance on it

just cause heatran "stops it" doesn't mean it should drop, if we followed that logic terrakion would have been UU cause nidoqueen walled it

Quote Originally Posted by ajgrocks100 View Post

I`m going to shut this down now, if you think skarmory and such where common just for dragons, you didn't play good enough players. All of them are strong defensive pivots, setting up hazards, blocking common threats, spreading status, and leech seeding in ferrothorns case. Avalugg is so outclassed is laughable, despite its high defense is special defense is so low it makes it all void as its can't switch in easily to anything, as well as its weakness to common threats such as mega charizard, talonflame, mega lucario, mega gengar, scizor, and aegislash. Goodra is honestly crap, its outclassed by florges and sylveon, its lack of recovery hurts it a lot, and there really is no need for a special dragon wall, hence why latias isnt common anymore
    Last edited by McDanger; 3rd November 2013 at 9:46 PM.

So I'm hearing trapping moves have become more effective now, particularly infestation. It hits 4-5 times at 1/8 (1/6 with the binding band) of the target's HP, right?
    If so, Galvantula and Shuckle seems to be good solid users of them, as well as using a Sticky Web hazard.
    I know Galvantula is probably going to work as a suicide lead with setting up Sticky Web, but infestation can prevent switching while you can bring out a proper counter after setting up the hazard (if given the chance). With shuckle, you can bundle it with toxic and trap stalling to annoy your opponents.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast