Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

I can't wait till we have a solid guide for new chaining mechanics this gen. They've most certainly changed from 4th gen, cause I got to 40 chains dozens of times back then, and now I'm lucky if I get to 10 in Y using the same methods. The one thing I think I've got figured out is how the grass shakes seems to matter more than where it shakes. You wanna look for the patch that always shakes the same is what I'm guessing. Whereas back in 4th gen what mattered most was the patch furthest away, that seems to matter much less now, maybe not at all.
    Last edited by PokeAJ; 23rd October 2013 at 7:44 AM.
    Name - AJ
    3DS FC: 1633-4190-9621
    Y Friend Safari: Wartortle, Bibaral, Poliwhirl
    Black 2 FC: 0004-1279-8556
    Black FC: 545787679565

Offering
    :
        Spoiler:- :

Wanted
    :

Spoiler:- :

I don't know how sound can help, but I have bad hearing so I guess that is probably why I can't make use of sound... really struggling with chaining, can't wait for a more guide like thing to follow... only managed to chain 1 shiny in Platinum so don't have high hopes at the moment.
    3DS FC friend code: 1220-7185-1607
    IGN: Morvoren
    FS - Bug: Venomoth, Ledyba, Beautifly

DK-Chaos: I should have said it had to be level 71 or greater. In order for the repel to work, you need to have a pokemon at a higher level than what you're trying to repel. And no, running into Moltres has nothing to do with the pokeradar. It's a roaming legendery.

And regarding my speculation on the purpose of the fast tempo pokeradar music (I proposed that it might signify a boosted chance for a shiny patch like that of a chain of 40+)... if it were true, I predict that the music should not appear once you have a chain of 40+. In the past few days I have reset the radar at least 250 times while at a chain <40 and got the music five times. However, last night I finally reached a chain of 40 and reset the radar 165 times, and did not hear the music once while I was at 40+.

In addition, once I reached a chain of 40, I found a shiny patch after 20 resets. However, the following 145 times did not produce any shiny patches. It has been suggested elsewhere that shiny patches only appear once per chain. My observation offers a small piece of anecdotal evidence to support this suggestion.

While my notes are focused on chaining for shinies, I hope they are mechanistic enough for the purpose of this thread.

I tried using pokerader but I only got as high as 2-3 chains. Most of the time my chains broke was because I didn't get any really rustling grass, just the average ones so I had no choice but to walk into them. Unless I can walk 50steps, use the rader again to find a really rustling grass and not break chain?
    Pokemon White 2_Hours: 714_Medals: 247/255_National Catcher 647/649 Missing Manaphy, Shaymin
    Pokemon X_Shiny_Octillery_Alomomola_Clawitzer x2_Goldeen_Luvdisc_Quilfish x4_Magicarp_Gyrados

Quote Originally Posted by Bathrezz View Post
    I tried using pokerader but I only got as high as 2-3 chains. Most of the time my chains broke was because I didn't get any really rustling grass, just the average ones so I had no choice but to walk into them. Unless I can walk 50steps, use the rader again to find a really rustling grass and not break chain?
    Yes, you can do that. Just keep repels up and avoid the barely shaking grass
    Now previewing Haunted Eve Monsters for Halloween! Check them out at Facebook. and pick up Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters at Drivethru RPG. New Class (the Monster Trainer), 6 archetypes, 154 monsters, feats, magic, and so much more. Feel free to PM for more information about this game/world.

Is there a minimum size the field has to be for chaining to work? Because i tried to chaining Ralts but i never get a higher chain than 7 or so .

Could anyone recommend some GOOD places to chain Gen 6 Pokemon?
    Thanks to Astral Shadow from The Under for the Bravely Default Banner!

Quote Originally Posted by Salyeri View Post
    Is there a minimum size the field has to be for chaining to work? Because i tried to chaining Ralts but i never get a higher chain than 7 or so .
    Not really, but larger fields are recommended unless you have high experience with chaining.

Quote Originally Posted by tomatohater View Post
    Could anyone recommend some GOOD places to chain Gen 6 Pokemon?
    Route 5 is a good spot because it has a fairly large field. I was able to chain to 40 on Skiddo and after multiple resets, I finally got a shiny patch.

White Kyurem, the dragon infused with the power of Reshiram

The boarders have been so far successful except for one time where I lost a chain. I also almost lost a chain because as I ran on a rustling grass my reply expired on me! and i didnt get to walk into that grass so i ran around for 50steps and continued chaining, phew.
    Pokemon White 2_Hours: 714_Medals: 247/255_National Catcher 647/649 Missing Manaphy, Shaymin
    Pokemon X_Shiny_Octillery_Alomomola_Clawitzer x2_Goldeen_Luvdisc_Quilfish x4_Magicarp_Gyrados

Hates life, broke chain at like 30 for that Flabby flower pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDeity View Post
    Route 5 is a good spot because it has a fairly large field. I was able to chain to 40 on Skiddo and after multiple resets, I finally got a shiny patch.
    REALLY? I spent HOURS trying to chain a shiny Furfrou but to no avail.

Just saying to all you guys, just use the Masuda Method and breed for the Pokémon you want. The odds might not be as small, but you don't have to worry about broken chains and keeping your eyes on the screen every second.

I've been browsing this thread while I chain, and I just had to make an account to let you all know of what I came across!

Right now I'm chaining Pikachus in the large patch in Santalune Forest (the patch near the center of the forest is absolutely perfect for chaining). My chain is currently at 51. I always think I'm counting wrong so I tend to pass 40 a bit just in case before I start radar resetting.

Around the 46 chain mark I ran into a Shiny Patch Pikachu, caught him, and then two radar resets later I found another shiny patch with yet another Pikachu in it. This confirms that you can indeed find multiple shinies within one chain! I'm currently resetting for more, I have 239 Super Repels at the ready so I could potentially get several more shiny chus! Will post if I come across any more.

Also I heard the strange music change around my 7th chain when I started, and haven't heard it since. Not on either shiny patch reset either. What could it mean?

I got a Shiny Horsea yesterday off a chain of 108.......... ridiculously long lol

If I'm sinking and laughing at something sunken in, I am.
    5214 - 9758 - 4705
    Pokemon Breeder's Club
    Playing Pokemon Y. Collection Vivillons. PM to trade patterns.

What is radar resetting?

What is radar resetting?
    Radar resetting is when you walk another 50 steps and use your radar again. If none of the grass patches look good, you can take another 50 steps (while avoiding any of the bad grass patches that shook) and use your radar again to look for more promising shaking grass patches.

As long as you don't step off the grass, use the skates/bicycle, or run into a Pokemon that you are not chaining, re-using your radar will not break a chain.

I'm often too careful so I tend to reset my radar a lot. So far it's proven to be a good thing- my Pikachu chain is currently at 63 and I've already found 2 shinies. Still hunting for more but my hand is hurting haha. The D pad is not very comfortable.

I can't step off the grass to get my 50steps and then walk back in when ready?

I can't step off the grass to get my 50steps and then walk back in when ready?
    No, walking off the grass and away from the area breaks a chain. You must remain in the grass you start a chain in to continue it. :0

Quote Originally Posted by Eeviechu View Post
    Around the 46 chain mark I ran into a Shiny Patch Pikachu, caught him, and then two radar resets later I found another shiny patch with yet another Pikachu in it. This confirms that you can indeed find multiple shinies within one chain! I'm currently resetting for more, I have 239 Super Repels at the ready so I could potentially get several more shiny chus! Will post if I come across any more.

Also I heard the strange music change around my 7th chain when I started, and haven't heard it since. Not on either shiny patch reset either. What could it mean?
    Thanks much for the info. When you ran into the second shiny patch, did you fight any normal Pikachus in between?

So you didn't hear the fast tempo music after your 40th chain encounter? If anyone else is reading this who has heard the music after chain encounter #40, tell us!

Will I lose my chain is I used my radar too soon, like when if i take 45steps and tells me I need 5 more?

Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    Thanks much for the info. When you ran into the second shiny patch, did you fight any normal Pikachus in between?

So you didn't hear the fast tempo music after your 40th chain encounter? If anyone else is reading this who has heard the music after chain encounter #40, tell us!
    No, I didn't fight any normal ones in between! That's the amazing thing, I think. I got these two shinies practically in a row, there were no encounters in between. Just a couple radar resets!

Unfortunately my chain just broke at 70. I heard the strange music again around 64 though, but none of the patches looked good so I reset the radar, and the music went away.

Here's some picture proof of my chain, I can also take some pictures of the two Pikachu if needed.

70 Pikachu chain is here- sta.sh/01ysh8l86yik
    I'm having a bit of trouble with the image uploader so that link will have to do for now.

How many varents of grass is there? Specificaly purple flowers which is what I've been chaining, I normally just run into the best looking one, there just seems to be like 4 varients of the wildest shaking patch so its annoyingly hard to look for the same one, I made it to about 35 on flabebe infront of the daycare before it broke, having trouble actually spotting the correct varient cause there seem to be too many kinds of patches.

I've tried chaining to get minimal options (in. The areas infront of the daycare that is like 14x5), standing on the far end sides so that some of the patches spawn out of the area so there is less things to glance at, only problem is that sometimes all the patches go off the field, and walking out hasn't broken the hain before cause I accidentaly step out of the field when going for a patch but it doesn't break the chain
    #teamchespin #teamfennekin

So strange. My best record is for Flabebe which was 23 and for this one I ran outside of the grass to charge my radar and I often went into the boarder.

I got a chain of 10 swirlx Until a darn Flabebe Apeared...
    FC: 5129-0355-4526 Name: Blu

Pm your FC.

Type: Flying (Has Hoothoot, Spearow, and Hawlucha.)

People are saying that they hate how shiny chaining is really hard compared to DP: Well, GameFreak staff aren't idiots. They know that we're using this for shinies. They made it harder so that there's a ridiculously easy way of getting shinies, but now it's not one every 15 minutes.
    Also, chaining for a Skiddo. It's sooooo cute. Unfortunately, these furoufrus are in the way.

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

Personally I find it easier to chain in X/Y than in D/P/Pt. I've never gotten a chain as high as the 70 I got today in X before on the older games, and I considered myself very good at chaining. I've gotten several shinies from it in the past games but it usually took longer and required more resets. I can still hardly believe I got my 2 shiny Pikachu within a literal minute of each other, and only around 25 minutes of chaining time total!

Perhaps you just need a better patch? To practice on, I definitely recommend the one I was using, which is in the Santalune Forest (the large patch in the center of the forest).

Page 2 of 56 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast