Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhny1sland View Post
    So does anybody know any definite rules of the new PokeRadar? I read through this thread, and saw a bunch of different ideas, but I don't know what's actually fact and what's just a theory. Like, does the rule of entering grass four blocks away still matter, or can you just enter any grass that shakes the same? My highest chain has been 20, and then it randomly broke after that (and I reached 20 by just entering any grass that shook the same, not by following the rule of four grass blocks away). I can't seem to keep a chain going, and if the rule of four blocks away is still in effect, then there really aren't too many areas that the PokeRadar could be used. Thanks!
    Yep, I've got the radar down and it took some digging around and experimenting to figure out. Route 2, Route 5, and Route 7 are all great places to chain. Yes, Route 2 is good. I chained a shiny Scatterbug there, as well as a Bunnelby which escaped due to a blunder on my behalf. It's very possible to chain in many somewhat smaller areas in this game.

Here are some rules that I follow to get my chains to 40:

Do not enter anything directly vertical/horizontal to your current position
    Do not enter a patch that is shaking directly next to another patch
    Enter the same type of patch every time
    Edge patches ARE safe. I cannot stress this enough, this is why it's possible to chain in smaller areas
    Enter the same type of patch every time. I reccommend always choosing the violently shaking grass as opposed to the others since it's easier to distinguish
    Do not enter any patches that are only a step or two away
    If multiple patches fit the rest of your chaining criteria, reset to avoid breaking. Better safe than sorry.

I'm pretty sure that covers everything important. A lot has changed but a lot has remained the same. I'm finding it easier and easier to chain using the radar as I get more practice with it. Good luck!
    Friend Safari: Dragon - Noibat
    3DS Friend Code: 4871 3691 0469
    Current Shiny Hunt: Phantump (MM) - 400+ eggs hatched
    Offering Calm Chlorophyll 31/xx/31/31/31/31 Bulbasaurs, PM me with offers

Quote Originally Posted by ThatKoolKidOverThere View Post
    Yep, I've got the radar down and it took some digging around and experimenting to figure out. Route 2, Route 5, and Route 7 are all great places to chain. Yes, Route 2 is good. I chained a shiny Scatterbug there, as well as a Bunnelby which escaped due to a blunder on my behalf. It's very possible to chain in many somewhat smaller areas in this game.

Here are some rules that I follow to get my chains to 40:

Edge patches ARE safe. I cannot stress this enough, this is why it's possible to chain in smaller areas
    Enter the same type of patch every time. I reccommend always choosing the violently shaking grass as opposed to the others since it's easier to distinguish
    If multiple patches fit the rest of your chaining criteria, reset to avoid breaking. Better safe than sorry.

I'm pretty sure that covers everything important. A lot has changed but a lot has remained the same. I'm finding it easier and easier to chain using the radar as I get more practice with it. Good luck!
    I have been following a lot of what the main guides say but that hasn't work for me (my chains will break after 2/3). I found out that the main thing is to always step on the same type of patch every time. Distance doesn't seem to matter as far as I can tell, except if there are multiple patches of the same type, you should always go for the furthest one.

I haven't seen this as an issue, but then again, maybe it hasn't happened too often.

I believe this to be the case

This is very important

I have had issues with this...you might get unlucky and after the battle no new patches will shake (I am guessing because the calculated location has no grass) and that will break your chain. The battle itself doesn't seem to break the chain though.

Agreed

I have been stepping on these patches with no issues.

I have been doing the same, except that if there is 2 violently shaking spots, and 1 of them is further away, I will choose that one.

Another tip is that if you see one shaking grass spot just kind off the screen that you can't see it fully, just restart the pokeradar. It has mess me up a couple of times

I caught a shiny Smeargle on chain 16 (lucky me!).

I also noticed something odd which I don't know what it means.

So lets establish something, there is two types of music:
    1) Regular road music
    2) Pokeradar music

"Randomly" after a battle the pokeradar music will change to a 3rd tune. If I reset the radar or enter a patch it will more than likely disappear and go back to tune #2. There was one instance where the music kept playing tune #3 after a number of battles.

Any idea why that happens and what it signifies?
    Last edited by dmarchu; 28th October 2013 at 5:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmarchu View Post
    I have had issues with this...you might get unlucky and after the battle no new patches will shake (I am guessing because the calculated location has no grass) and that will break your chain. The battle itself doesn't seem to break the chain though.
    Well, I've spent a good amount of time testing the edge patches and not a single time have they broken my chain. I've had great success with chaining thus far, and those are just some general rules I follow to get my shinies from Radar chaining. Even if they're unnecessary, it's not bad to be safe once you get a nice chain going. It's what has nabbed me a few already, all in just an afternoon's work.
    Friend Safari: Dragon - Noibat
    3DS Friend Code: 4871 3691 0469
    Current Shiny Hunt: Phantump (MM) - 400+ eggs hatched
    Offering Calm Chlorophyll 31/xx/31/31/31/31 Bulbasaurs, PM me with offers

Tried my luck at chain fishing yesterday
    I got a shiny Carvanha (my first xy shiny)
    A shiny skrelp (YAY)
    And a shiny Clampearl (idk what one to evolve it into)

All within 30 chain, maybe I'm just lucky
    Definitely worth trying, I'm gonna go for another Clampearl or a remeraid for a shiny suction cup user
    3DS friend code - 5327-1882-8489
    PM me your code if u want (my type is fire)
    Currently playing Y and loving it lol

I've found more often than not that going for a patch of matching grass that is too far away almost always breaks the chain.

I was hoping someone could help me with a pokeradar problem I've been having. I've been chaining absols and have managed to get to a chain of 23 following all the rules i know of, but in the middle of the chain after a battle with the correct pokemon the music just stops for no reason (this has happened multiple times), it's as if I encountered the wrong pokemon. I have noticed they always happen to be edge patches, but those are almost always fine for me. If anyone could tell me why this is happening it would be a big help.

3DS FC: 5172- 0087- 0925
    Friend Safari: Electric-

Quote Originally Posted by A Pretty Chill Trainer View Post
    I was hoping someone could help me with a pokeradar problem I've been having. I've been chaining absols and have managed to get to a chain of 23 following all the rules i know of, but in the middle of the chain after a battle with the correct pokemon the music just stops for no reason (this has happened multiple times), it's as if I encountered the wrong pokemon. I have noticed they always happen to be edge patches, but those are almost always fine for me. If anyone could tell me why this is happening it would be a big help.
    Do you have shaking grass even with no music?

This has happened to me a few times. No shaking grass and the music stops. My theory is that the calculated shaking grass spots are outside the actual grass area so your chain is broken. I have been trying to avoid edge patches on a big chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkfish View Post
    I've found more often than not that going for a patch of matching grass that is too far away almost always breaks the chain.

I find interesting how a lot of us are having different experiences with pokeradar.

Quote Originally Posted by dmarchu View Post
    Do you have shaking grass even with no music?

This has happened to me a few times. No shaking grass and the music stops. My theory is that the calculated shaking grass spots are outside the actual grass area so your chain is broken. I have been trying to avoid edge patches on a big chain.
    Thanks that would make sense, and no I have never seen any patches of grass when the music stopped. If you happen to be right then I guess patches of grass that are at least in the middle of the screen would be best.

Found my 7th Shiny last night while chain fishing (4th fishing chain shiny thus far), a nice, purple Sharpedo.

I was quite surprised when he popped out shiny, since he's fairly rare where he's found.

Of course, now he's the prize of my current collection.

Credit goes to Transfuse for creating this wonderful image.

Friend Code: 1006-0289-8125
    Type: Steel - Skarmory, Ferroseed, and Klefki

Current Shinies (Y only):

Spoiler:

Welp that's a 35 and a 36 chain dead for absolutely no reason today. Worst feeling in the world.

Ok, caught Poliwhirl, Relicanth and Clauncher via Chain Fishing. Anyone know good routes where I can find different areas to fish out pokemon I don't have?
    Welp that's a 35 and a 36 chain dead for absolutely no reason today. Worst feeling in the world.
    I know that feel. This morning, I was chain fishing for hours. I leave for about an hour and when I come back, fish once more (My chain hadn't been broken) Shiny Clauncer. Then a few hours later, Shiny Relicanth. Never give up, or you'll regret it
    5327 1078 9791 PM me if you add me :3 I have a Ground type Safari with Marowak, Trapinch and Palpitoad Currently looking for a Forretress. Add me if you have your run of the mill Sturdy Forretress

I'm also thepinguins{Death By Chocolate} on steam so add me if you want

Wasn't even fishing. I was chaining Panchams which makes it even worse because fishing is 600 times easier compared.

Wasn't even fishing. I was chaining Panchams which makes it even worse because fishing is 600 times easier compared.
    Of course it's easier. I chain fish whilst I'm watching a movie
    5327 1078 9791 PM me if you add me :3 I have a Ground type Safari with Marowak, Trapinch and Palpitoad Currently looking for a Forretress. Add me if you have your run of the mill Sturdy Forretress

Has anyone been able to chain an absol yet? I've been trying for hours but haven't made it past a chain of 23, with most ending around 15.

May I inquire into some assistance for chain fishing. Every time I do it I always lose my bite as it says nothing is there. Can anyone help?
    Nailed it.

Double the Trouble. Two Giratinas are better than one.

Thanks to Astral Shadow of The Under

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosmonkeyX View Post
    May I inquire into some assistance for chain fishing. Every time I do it I always lose my bite as it says nothing is there. Can anyone help?
    If you have a pokemon with the "suction cups" ability in the first position of your traveling party you are far more likely to encounter pokemon while fishing. Two pokemon that I know of that have the ability are Inkay and Octillery. They can be fainted, they just have to be in the first position of your party.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosmonkeyX View Post
    1) Get a few Quick balls
    2) find an area where you can find your pokemon with the highest chances (Ex: Picking an area where it's common instead of an uncommon area)
    3)Put a pokemon with the Suction Cups ability in your first slot, he may be fainted, if you feel like you're wasting time with the "Can't run away"
    Ok, now here's the fishing:
    1)You may either Faint, Capture or run away from the pokemon once you've reeled it in. The more pokemon you reel in in sequence, the chain number goes up and thus the %of getting a shiny goes up
    2)You can use any Fishing rod. I have caught 2 shinies with the super rod and 1 with the good rod.
    3)Always keep your fingers on the Y and A buttons. You'll want to keep it that way if you're watching a movie when you're fishing because chaining may be easy, but it can take AGES to get a shiny. (Y for the Shortcut and A to reel it in when you hear the DING, or see the arrows, depends on whether your reaction time is faster via sound or image
    4)Don't ever move from your spot. If you do, you'll break the chain and you'll have to start from Chain 1
    These are tips on Chain Fishing I wish you good fortune upon your hunts, master fisherman

Just got my first shiny in a long time! Shiny Poliwag appeared in Laverre City through a fishing chain with my old rod. I got a chain of 56 earlier, but it broke. This chain was only 27, and she appeared! She is calm and mischevious (lol), and needless to say she is my prize possession so far in X!
    I don't use legendaries or search for good natures.

Does anyone know if after you catch a shiny on a fishing chain if the shiny odds reset? I've heard some people say they do and you have to break the chain and start over again.
    Name - AJ
    3DS FC: 1633-4190-9621
    Y Friend Safari: Wartortle, Bibaral, Poliwhirl
    Black 2 FC: 0004-1279-8556
    Black FC: 545787679565

Offering
    :
        Spoiler:- :

Wanted
    :

Spoiler:- :

I'm really new to Chaining, how exactly do you "reset" your chain?
    Black 2 FC: 2452 3367 9936
    White 2 FC: 3225 9990 2378

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    I'm really new to Chaining, how exactly do you "reset" your chain?

you just leave the area or run from a battle (assuming you are referring to pokeradar)
    if you are fishing, just move from whatever position you were in.

ive had such bad luck with the radar its frustrating. but i managed to catch a shiny poliwhirl via chaining
    Last edited by Greninja VI; 29th October 2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive
    We all stand in single file line, and we have all been born into it.

So I reached chain at 37 after about an hour and then I broke it...I believe it was my fault because I wasn't sure if that was the correct shake and still went for it. I decided to give it another try since that was a horrible way to finish up and got my chain up to 40. I expected the shiny patch to come up fairly soon (since last time I got a shiny at around 15), but it wouldn't come up at all. I started getting nervous when I realized that the amount repels I had were not enough to reset at least 200 times.

I was pretty sure that I had counted the chain properly, but in desperation I decided to increase my chain a bit just in case. I increased my chain for about 5 more and then kept resetting after that. I was already thinking of asking some friends to start trading repels with me. I was also worried that I might mess up and step on a shacking grass by accident due to exhaustion. But then it eventually showed up! Now I am a happy owner of a shiny cragunk .

Btw, does using the GTS ir wonder trade break your chain?

Quote Originally Posted by PokeAJ View Post
    Does anyone know if after you catch a shiny on a fishing chain if the shiny odds reset? I've heard some people say they do and you have to break the chain and start over again.
    Not sure if it resets; I don't think it does personally. I've caught about 4 Shinies while fishing within the hour after 97 casts (the first being around 40something). Doubt it reset. But i'm not too sure on that.
    FC: 4656 6776 9478
    Shinies I have: Skrelp, Clawitzer, Relicanth. Poliwhirl, Fraxure, Klang, Alakazam, Magmar, Meinfoo, Dwebble, Ninjask, Weepingbel, Swirlix, + Others!!!!
    Shinies I want: Shiny Ghosts with decent natures, klefki, larvesta, goomy line.

Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast