Page 12 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Okay, you guys. So I was chain fishing just now in the cave part of Victory Road, and I got up to a chain of about 20. Then, stupidly, I reeled in to soon. I was kinda discouraged, and kinda wanted to fish somewhere else.

So I surfed back to shire, started biking up to the pokecenter, and BAM. Shiny Gurrdurr.

Is this a complete coincidence? Or can you use chain fishing to catch pokemon on land?

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysters View Post
    Okay, you guys. So I was chain fishing just now in the cave part of Victory Road, and I got up to a chain of about 20. Then, stupidly, I reeled in to soon. I was kinda discouraged, and kinda wanted to fish somewhere else.

So I surfed back to shire, started biking up to the pokecenter, and BAM. Shiny Gurrdurr.

Is this a complete coincidence? Or can you use chain fishing to catch pokemon on land?
    Coincidence.

Chain Fishing doesn't affect Pokémon outside Fishing at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    Coincidence.

Chain Fishing doesn't affect Pokémon outside Fishing at all.
    Maybe. I'm going to try to replicate this, though. The prospect of potentially baton passing your fishing chain to pokemon on land is too good to pass up.

Man I just love chain fishing. In the past 24 hours, I gotten a Shiny Poliwhirl and 2 Shiny Blue Basculin.

I'm gonna try my luck at getting either a Shiny Magikarp, or Shiny Gyarados.

Credit goes to Transfuse for creating this wonderful image.

Friend Code: 1006-0289-8125
    Type: Steel - Skarmory, Ferroseed, and Klefki

Current Shinies (Y only):

Spoiler:

I have been fishing continuously in this one spot hoping for a shiny clamperl and so far I have two shiny remoraid but yeah, suction cups and chain fishing makes finding shinies common fish wise alot easier. I think it's easy enough to decrease the rarity of certain shinies but not all shinies in general like some people are saying. Also does anyone know if accidentally pressing the button in the direction of the water will break your chain or not? You don't actually shift at all so I wasn't sure.

Edit: Finally a shiny clamperl : D I'm so happy!!! ohh and it's female too!
    Last edited by TrainerMaria; 30th October 2013 at 5:12 PM.

Mom's Words of Wisdom: "Just try touching the buttons, you'll know what to do in no time." - HG/SS

Button Credit: Astral Shadow

I got a couple chains 20+ of dittos and another few of other ranom pokes that were 20+.

Been through about 100-200 battles w/ chains and no shiny.

I might try out fishing chains, as I have never actually tried it before.

Battle Spot Doubles Team

Sprites from http://www.pkparaiso.com/

3DS FC: 3497-0560-0061
    IGN: Joe (or) Joseph

I got my first XY shiny, I thought I would try something easy so I started fishing for magikarp and by chain 46 I got a shiny female, I really wanted a male but because I already have a shiny female Gyarados from SS. Anyway I'm happy I got it, I don't know if I got lucky but it was on the 46th cast it only took 30 mins tops.
    Completed Black 2 National Dex (excluding event pkmn)
    Black 2 fc: 0820 3191 6367

Chain Fishing odds can be funny sometimes - I got a chain of 90(which I broke cause I thought I could walk up stairs and fish simultaneously) without any shinies, and then in the same exact spot I got my shiny Clawitzer at a chain of 46. It's just funny to see, because I thought people were yanking my chain when I got that far without a shiny.

i know it works because i caught a shiny poliwhirl in a chain of 50 or so but after a long 181 chain, i feel discouraged and my chain broke without a shiny gyarados
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive
    We all stand in single file line, and we have all been born into it.

Hello everyone.

I've been trying to pokeradar a shiny heracross and having some difficulty. I agree with most of the rules posted here which describe bad patches as:
    -Closer than 4 steps
    -Next to another patch
    -On the border of the grass
    -Not shaking the same way your first patch did

And I'm getting decent chains (12-18 usually); just not great. The problem is sometimes I get a patch that is four steps away in an L shape from my position, e.g. three right and then one up. Sometimes this breaks my chain, even if it otherwise looks fine and is fine 90% of the time.

Is this because a diagonal step counts as one? I always walk only horizontally or vertically, but theoretically the patch could be three steps away if I used a diagonal step... could this explain why it occasionally breaks my chain? If I want to to be super safe should I avoid these?

I have to say, chaining is taking a long time as it is because I only get a good patch maybe every three scans on average.

Thanks for input and feedback; I'll keep trying and good luck to all those who are also trying =)

I still have really bad luck :/ multiple almost 60 chains and no shiny yet
    FC - 1435-4760-9815
    In game name - Agony

Yes! I got a shiny Horsea after a chain of 30 ( although I had a few 50 chains yesterday). It's male and naive.
    3DS Friend Code: 5413-0340-7999
    My Safari: Water with Krabby, Floatzel and Azumarill
    Safaris I want: Steel, Electric, Dark, Ice
    PM me if you add me, so I can add you back.
    I still need many dex entries in X/Y, especially Suicune, Entei, Raikou, Lugia, the Regis + Regigigas, Zekrom, Palkia, Dialga, Latias and Latios. I can offer entries for Kyurem, Reshiram, Zapdos, Arcituno, Giratina, Xerneas and Yveltal. I'll trade them back instantly afterwards. Thanks in advance.

Feight- I don't know the answer to your questions, but you should realize that there is probably no way to guarantee that your chain doesn't break. I agree we should look for ways to increase the chances of continuing a chain, but unless we collect data in a scientific manner, we won't be able to know the answers to your questions with confidence.
    Pokedex: 718/721

Quote Originally Posted by Agony099 View Post
    I still have really bad luck :/ multiple almost 60 chains and no shiny yet
    Once you reach 40 on land you can't get better odds. It is better to stop at that point and reset until you get a shiny patch. Going to 60 means you're doing half-again the work for no additional payout.
    Now previewing Haunted Eve Monsters for Halloween! Check them out at Facebook. and pick up Mystical: Kingdom of Monsters at Drivethru RPG. New Class (the Monster Trainer), 6 archetypes, 154 monsters, feats, magic, and so much more. Feel free to PM for more information about this game/world.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_n View Post
    Once you reach 40 on land you can't get better odds. It is better to stop at that point and reset until you get a shiny patch. Going to 60 means you're doing half-again the work for no additional payout.
    Higher chains still may increase your IV, we don't know for sure yet.

Also just registered here to say that I have already chained about four shinies, catching all of them after a chain of 40. I can confirm that they all have maxed out IVs in two stats with their overall potential being "above average". Maybe higher chains mean even more IV being maxed out, who knows.

Also I have never encountered more than one shiny in a chain, even when trying for another hour or so in each chain. So I'm, too, guessing that your shiny chance resets itself whenever you either step on a shiny patch or catch a Pokemon.

Still working on chaining a shiny absol, but through trial and error I think I learned a couple of things about chaining.

1. Edge patches have the same chances of containing your pokemon as any other, but even if you get the correct pokemon there's a chance it will end your chain abruptly as if you got the wrong one (had this happen multiple times and only on edge patches).
    2. A patch doesn't have to be 4 steps away to be safe, but it seems that any less than 3 breaks it most of the time.
    These are still just guesses based on my experiences, but it might help those who are having trouble chaining.

3DS FC: 5172- 0087- 0925
    Friend Safari: Electric-

Quote Originally Posted by Feight View Post
    Hello everyone.

I've been trying to pokeradar a shiny heracross and having some difficulty. I agree with most of the rules posted here which describe bad patches as:
    -Closer than 4 steps
    -Next to another patch
    -On the border of the grass
    -Not shaking the same way your first patch did

And I'm getting decent chains (12-18 usually); just not great. The problem is sometimes I get a patch that is four steps away in an L shape from my position, e.g. three right and then one up. Sometimes this breaks my chain, even if it otherwise looks fine and is fine 90% of the time.

Is this because a diagonal step counts as one? I always walk only horizontally or vertically, but theoretically the patch could be three steps away if I used a diagonal step... could this explain why it occasionally breaks my chain? If I want to to be super safe should I avoid these?

I have to say, chaining is taking a long time as it is because I only get a good patch maybe every three scans on average.

Thanks for input and feedback; I'll keep trying and good luck to all those who are also trying =)
    Hi, from my experience using the pokeradar has always been more resetting then actual battling which is why it's usually recommended to have well over 100 max repels. It's also really helpful to have a large patch of grass which in my opinion is harder to find in these games. There isn't alot of information out on this generation so I can't say for sure if a diagonal step is one or not but in my opinion Pokemon games have always worked on a square basis rather then a step basis if that makes sense to you. I always think of using the pokeradar with a grid in mind; alot like the time when people searched for Feebas in R/S/E. With that in mind certain squares have a better chance of certain pokemon showing up so keep track of any patterns that emerge. Everytime you leave the route or restart the game the patches will change. I used this method in D/P/P and I was able to get myself a shiny Ponyta. I also used this method in this generation with chain fishing to increase my chances of running into clamperl rather then Remoraid and it worked for me.

Happy shiny hunting and if I can think of anything else to add I will.

Mom's Words of Wisdom: "Just try touching the buttons, you'll know what to do in no time." - HG/SS

Button Credit: Astral Shadow

Found a possible solution to the much-annoying chain resetting when you go to a border... You have to turn off your 3DS (save before the initial chaining) then restart and try using radar again until the issue disappears. I'm doing that and most of the time my chains do not reset even on borders.

I'm kinda thinking that getting Gen 1 -5 shinies is pointless, since when poke bank will be open, everybody will get whatever shiny they want :* - gen 6 shinies master race.
    Last edited by Infinity Edge; 30th October 2013 at 6:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrainerMaria View Post
    words of wisdom
    Thanks Maria. I've now started recording stats for pokemon encountered on which squares, number of resets needed between successful chains and a few other random things.

I'll share anything interesting I turn up.

I want to thank you guys for all the great info. I was able to get my very first shiny in Pokemon X. I did it via Chain Fishing. It took 65 encounters, but I'm ecstatic to say that I'm a proud owner of a shiny Corphish, who now goes by the name of Pinky!

The Pokemon with Suction Cups can't be fainted can it?
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

Quote Originally Posted by ebevan91 View Post
    The Pokemon with Suction Cups can't be fainted can it?
    It doesn't matter wether it's Fainted or still conscious.

So far I have chained 41 for a shiny Abra on route 5 and randomly got a shiny Bunnleby on a random bush that didn't sparkle. The Poke radar is confusing at first but after about 30 hours of actually doing it I can now chain higher than 24. And with Chain fishing I've gotten a Shiny Gyrados and also 3 shiny Poliwhirl. Fishing is in fact much easier because I've never had to go over 50 for a shiny. And you also don't have to defeat the fished pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkac View Post
    It doesn't matter wether it's Fainted or still conscious.
    Really? Because my chain broke after it fainted. I never moved either.
    FC: 1779-0800-2195
    My friend safari: Noibat, Gabite, Druddigon

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_n View Post
    It's been confirmed that reaching a chain of 60 causes the pokemon you encounter to have three perfect IVs instead of the two a chain of 40 grants, so there is some benefit (Especially if you're chaining Ditto).

Page 12 of 56 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast