Page 25 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 625 of 1376

Thread: PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

  1. #601
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomoEGoto View Post
    The only chaining I can do really in VI is fish chaining,
    I haven't been lucky with actually using Pokeradar.
    I've tried using Gen IV's swarm because... you know swarms are more common and thus the perfect targets for chaining, no such luck here.
    With the decoy patches, it's annoying, not as annoying as the fact in Gen IV you had a way to count your chain onscreen and in VI you have to memorize the times you've encountered a Pokemon.
    Otherwise, fish chaining is the easiest, doesn't have a lot of targets... but... it's interesting.
    I'm pretty sure that decoy patches never occur in the patches four tiles away from your character, which is another reason to select the shaking bushes that are as far away as possible. Chaining by fishing definitely is easier though.

    To check where I'm at in a chain while using the radar, I just count the number of times certain moves have been made by my lead Pokemon (and then add any Pokemon that I've caught while chaining to that count).

  2. #602
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nuvema Town, Unova
    Posts
    173

    Default

    I was extremelyyyyy lucky yesterday c:

    I managed to get a chain of 40 on my first chaining set and snagged a Shiny Furfrou. Then, later, I decided to give chain fishing another try, and after a couple chain resets, I got a Shiny Shellder [with a critical capture] on chain 5


    White Kyurem, the dragon infused with the power of Reshiram

  3. #603
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Can anyone confirm whether chain fishing works or not? and if so what do i need to do it exactly? I'm just unsure and don't wanna spend tons of time experimenting with something that can already be known
    Epic trades for you!

    FC:
    Black 2: 4857 4837 4412

    Offering:
    DWF:

    Looking for:

    Please if you want any of these and more just PM me!

    All of the above are only available in black/white 2... I'm waiting for the pokemon transporter :P

    In Pokemon x/y
    FC: 3754-6299-8594

    Offering: Chespin, Fennekin, Squirtle, protean froakie
    Vivillions: elegant, modern
    Things I'm looking for: Mega pinsir's stone, mewtwo x's stone, mega tyranitars stone, mega manectric's stone

  4. #604
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wherever *****s go
    Posts
    5,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    Can anyone confirm whether chain fishing works or not? and if so what do i need to do it exactly? I'm just unsure and don't wanna spend tons of time experimenting with something that can already be known
    It definitely works. An NPC even mentions that you can find "rare Pokemon" if your chain is high enough.

    This page tells you pretty much everything you need to know.

  5. #605
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    Can anyone confirm whether chain fishing works or not? and if so what do i need to do it exactly? I'm just unsure and don't wanna spend tons of time experimenting with something that can already be known
    Definitely works. You just need to stay in one spot and never move from it while fishing. You can run from the wild pokemons and different pokemon appearing don't end the chain.
    FT: Diancie, Ball/Fancy Vivillon, Wonderland , Mega Stones, Enigma Berry and Pokerus.

    Kalos Shinies:






    All Shiny Vivillon except Sun/Events. Chesnaught (M). Greninja (F)

    X 0602-7374-3204 - エックス (Elegant)

    Y 4527-8721-8292 - ワイ (Monsoon)

  6. #606
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Thanks a ton guys
    Epic trades for you!

    FC:
    Black 2: 4857 4837 4412

    Offering:
    DWF:

    Looking for:

    Please if you want any of these and more just PM me!

    All of the above are only available in black/white 2... I'm waiting for the pokemon transporter :P

    In Pokemon x/y
    FC: 3754-6299-8594

    Offering: Chespin, Fennekin, Squirtle, protean froakie
    Vivillions: elegant, modern
    Things I'm looking for: Mega pinsir's stone, mewtwo x's stone, mega tyranitars stone, mega manectric's stone

  7. #607
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    the States
    Posts
    243

    Default

    I can't seem to get more than 5 Pokemon in a row in chain fishing, with a Suction Cups Octillery for guaranteed encounters. Any help?

    EDIT: Okay, never mind. Apparently encountering something else doesn't break the chain?
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360

  8. #608
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    116

    Default

    I heard that you can run from the pokemon and it keeps your chain going? is this true? (this is for chain fishing)
    Epic trades for you!

    FC:
    Black 2: 4857 4837 4412

    Offering:
    DWF:

    Looking for:

    Please if you want any of these and more just PM me!

    All of the above are only available in black/white 2... I'm waiting for the pokemon transporter :P

    In Pokemon x/y
    FC: 3754-6299-8594

    Offering: Chespin, Fennekin, Squirtle, protean froakie
    Vivillions: elegant, modern
    Things I'm looking for: Mega pinsir's stone, mewtwo x's stone, mega tyranitars stone, mega manectric's stone

  9. #609
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsgod View Post
    I heard that you can run from the pokemon and it keeps your chain going? is this true? (this is for chain fishing)
    Chain Fishing yes, poke radar no.

  10. #610
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    278

    Default

    how far in the game do you have to be to chain fish?
    - Obtained at 5701 soft resets
    - Obtained at 6246 soft resets.
    Leaf green re count:540
    happy to trade. white fc: 0734 2476 0668 SSBB fc: 3308 6572 9381
    3ds friend code: 2466 2806 3978
    Former Admin pidgeotto from dueling network.
    heam my cream.

    shiny hunts in progress:
    95 mm eggs for chikorita
    540 encounters on route 210
    1540 SR's for articuno
    268 SR's in black2 BQ
    4466 SR's for bulbasaur

  11. #611
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stop stalking, Serebii.
    Posts
    363

    Default

    I cannot for the life of me even get a chain of 10 on PokeRadar. Yes I try getting everything correct and even in good spots I can't do it. Man.
    Chain Fishing is INCREDIBLY easy, though. Got a Shiny Skrelp in 30-45 minutes (wanted a Horsea instead, but shiny Skrelp looks pretty sweet).

    Quote Originally Posted by Neji-and-Pidgeot View Post
    how far in the game do you have to be to chain fish?
    Probably just when you get any rod, though I'm not sure how well the Old Rod works. I use the Good Rod, though, so you can probably get to it moderately early in the game.
    Y Team: Delphox, Venusaur (Mega), Blaziken, Absol, Aegislash, Florges
    PROUD TO DONATE GOOD POKEMON TO THE WONDER TRADE!
    But I swear to Arceus if you give me a Dedenne, I will find you.
    3DS Friend Code: 2036-7115-4768
    (my safari zone really sucks... sorry. IT HAS DEDENNE. STUPID KARMA.)
    <<R.I.P.
    HELLO HERE'S MY FANFICTION

    Mod note: Signature should have have font size larger than 3.
    Lux note: You're right, it should.

    I also talk about Pokemon stuffs here. (and the link works now.)

  12. #612

    Default

    I got a female shiny Litleo last night through chaining! Timid nature too, just what I wanted! I didn't have a synch or anything, just a cute charmer. She's really cute. I wish shiny Pyroar had more of a... stark difference though. And she still has a ketchup and mustard mane. :S Oh well, though. I got her at around a chain of 28. I was really surprised! I also happened to get the strange Radar music right before finding the patch, but I don't think it was related. Saying just in case, though.
    3DS FC: 1177-6536-6585, my friend safari is Grass and contains Tangela, Sawsbuck and Quilladin!

  13. #613
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Pichu Chan View Post
    I got a female shiny Litleo last night through chaining! Timid nature too, just what I wanted! I didn't have a synch or anything, just a cute charmer. She's really cute. I wish shiny Pyroar had more of a... stark difference though. And she still has a ketchup and mustard mane. :S Oh well, though. I got her at around a chain of 28. I was really surprised! I also happened to get the strange Radar music right before finding the patch, but I don't think it was related. Saying just in case, though.
    Was the music lively? Also the patch you entered, was it a shiny patch or a regular patch? Did you also hear the "bing" when a shiny patch pops up?

  14. #614

    Default

    1. Yes lol. That's what I meant by strange Radar music.
    2. It was a shiny patch.
    3. Yes.

    That being said, I don't really think that music has anything to do with shinies. Just thought I'd post that I got that alternate Radar music right before I found it. The other two times I got a shiny patch in a chain, the music was the normal Radar music.
    3DS FC: 1177-6536-6585, my friend safari is Grass and contains Tangela, Sawsbuck and Quilladin!

  15. #615
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    172

    Default

    do you have to surf to chain while fishing?

  16. #616
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Michigan State
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Super Pichu chan- The going theory on the upbeat tempo is that it increases your shiny chances temporarily. When you caught your other shinies with normal music, were they at a chain of 40 or more?

    And Ghostdog- no.
    Pokedex: 718/721

  17. #617

    Default

    Yes, that could be. Yeah, those other ones were at 40.

    It could be a temporarily increase. It must mean something at the very least, or else it probably wouldn't exist haha
    3DS FC: 1177-6536-6585, my friend safari is Grass and contains Tangela, Sawsbuck and Quilladin!

  18. #618
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luxvan View Post
    I cannot for the life of me even get a chain of 10 on PokeRadar. Yes I try getting everything correct and even in good spots I can't do it. Man.
    I have the same issue! Tried for a while tonight, thought I was getting a good chain of Scatterbug going, and instead kept getting interrupted by Weedle. The same thing happened with Skiddo (Furfrou) and Fletchling (one of those monkey things). I even made sure to reset the radar a few times to keep away from the patches I knew would break the chain, but I'd say my longest chain was about 5-6 in all. I'll be honest, I was quite excited for chaining after all I read about it (and since I hadn't done it ever before), but the experience is a lot more tedious and unfruitful than I thought it would be. I don't think it's for me xD

    I'm going to try for some chain fishing tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe if I get more than one shiny of the same Pokemon, I can trade it for some others! xD
    Trying to fill my X Pokedex! Please PM me for my Friend Code if you'd like.
    My Friend Safari is Ghost with Shuppet, Pumpkaboo, and Spiritomb.

  19. #619
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mi-tan View Post
    I have the same issue! Tried for a while tonight, thought I was getting a good chain of Scatterbug going, and instead kept getting interrupted by Weedle. The same thing happened with Skiddo (Furfrou) and Fletchling (one of those monkey things). I even made sure to reset the radar a few times to keep away from the patches I knew would break the chain, but I'd say my longest chain was about 5-6 in all. I'll be honest, I was quite excited for chaining after all I read about it (and since I hadn't done it ever before), but the experience is a lot more tedious and unfruitful than I thought it would be. I don't think it's for me xD

    I'm going to try for some chain fishing tomorrow and see what happens. Maybe if I get more than one shiny of the same Pokemon, I can trade it for some others! xD
    Make sure you aren't mistaking patches.
    FT: Diancie, Ball/Fancy Vivillon, Wonderland , Mega Stones, Enigma Berry and Pokerus.

    Kalos Shinies:






    All Shiny Vivillon except Sun/Events. Chesnaught (M). Greninja (F)

    X 0602-7374-3204 - エックス (Elegant)

    Y 4527-8721-8292 - ワイ (Monsoon)

  20. #620
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Super Pichu Chan View Post
    Yes, that could be. Yeah, those other ones were at 40.

    It could be a temporarily increase. It must mean something at the very least, or else it probably wouldn't exist haha
    Did you try checking the IVs of the shiny you caught during the weird music?
    FT: Diancie, Ball/Fancy Vivillon, Wonderland , Mega Stones, Enigma Berry and Pokerus.

    Kalos Shinies:






    All Shiny Vivillon except Sun/Events. Chesnaught (M). Greninja (F)

    X 0602-7374-3204 - エックス (Elegant)

    Y 4527-8721-8292 - ワイ (Monsoon)

  21. #621
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Bucklebury Ferry
    Posts
    421

    Default

    My experience with the uptempo music change tonight:
    It first happened while chaining for shiny Trevenant. The change came about, and I ran into a wildly rustling bush. Normal Trevenant. The music ended and my chain continued.

    Shortly after my Trevenant chain died prematurely at 16, I went for Noctowl. The change came about again. I ran into what I thought was the correctly shaking bush directly in front of me, but normal Jigglypuff appeared. I killed it. Chain ended.

    Both occurred early on in the chain, at 3 or 4. They've occurred previously several times during my early chaining attempts, but nothing noteworthy came from it.
    --
    ... on a different note, I really suck at chaining. I have all the rules pretty well solidified by now, it's just I'm very bad at distinguishing the right grass tiles, especially when I get deeper into the chain. I've tried for hours and hours, but the furthest I've gotten was 33 or so. I've tried going by the pitch of the rustle, but it gets very confusing when three or four grass tiles shake simultaneously. I will never get that shiny Trevenant ._.

    1779 1165 5016

  22. #622
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Chaining in the grass ;)
    Posts
    79

    Default Final Results of Testing

    I ended my testing chains of Inkays and Dittos, and I corroborated the following:

    - Chain of 100 Inkays: Almost all of them between 60-100 Chain have at least 3 max IVs, some few of them 4 by normal chances for a stat. I caught 2 shiny Inkay at chain #40 and #81.

    -Chain of 100 Dittos: Same, all of them had at least 3 max IVs between 60-100 chain. Shinies quickly appeared by resetting the pokeradar at #40 and #81.


    Furthermore, some aspects I also noticed while Chaining:

    - We had 4 shaking patches in the old system (According to the Chaining Grid: one for 1-away Zone, one for 2-away, one for 3-away, and one for 4-away). Now, we are dealing with 5 shaking patches in total (The same as before, plus one decoy patch which always appears in the 1-away/2-away/3-away Zone, never in the 4-away zone). It's crucial to identify the decoy patch, specially when it's a 3-away decoy, it can be mistaken for a 4-away patch.

    - There are three types of grasses as others stated here. The Violent Shaking Patch has the higher chance for continuing your chain, because decoy patches never shake violently and Violent patches are easier to hear and notice. Violent Shaking Patch is very similar to the Yellow Sparkly Patch from the old system.

    - I developed a theory years ago that showed when 4-away patch was not the safest one, because the high probability was transfered to the other zones according to some "Patterns". I knew when to enter to the 1-away, 2-away and 3-away zone, in the old generation, for continuing my chain successfully. However, in this generation, the decoy patch makes it difficult to recognize those patterns, so I've been entering the 4-away Zone exclusively, and I'm having 100% success in my chains. Of course, I often reset the pokeradar when I feel breaking patterns for 4-away appear. Instinct....

    - Probabilities for continuing your chain in borders are the same as before. If you enter a right patch in the mid-border of a good grass zone, so your Grid is cut in half, and defeat the wild pokemon, your chance of continuing the chain is: 96%. But, if you decide to enter a safe 4-away patch at the edge/corner of the Grid, the chance for continuing the chain falls fown to 78% which makes it risky. The 96% of probability is a good value for me so I'm still entering in patches at the appropiate borders. This can be applied in Azure Bay or Route 5 where the grass is of a good proportion. However.... this game gives us about 95% of horrible places for chaining.... where your chances of continuing a chain after entering a patch in borders is reduced drastically. Sucessful chains in those places require some kind of mastery in playing with "Half of the Chaining Grid", in other words, to know where to place yourself to reset the pokeradar and which borders have the higher chances of continuing your chain, because waiting for the perfect 4-away patch (not in the border + Violent Shaking) can take too long, so it's necessary to risk early on the chain. (#2-25).


    Hope this info helps. Finally, the Shiny Adamant Ditto with 4 max IVs that I caught at chain #81.

    Last edited by 13mjvr; 11th November 2013 at 6:49 AM.
    FC: 4210 4395 7067
    Friend Safari: Psychic

    X/Y Shinies:
    Pokeradar: x2 x2 x2 x2
    Fishing:
    Masuda:

    Chaining Target: Careful

    Links:

    Shiny Pokemons caught by chaining - IV GEN
    Shiny Pokemons caught by chaining - VI GEN
    13MJVR's Chaining Guide

  23. #623
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 13mjvr View Post
    I ended my testing chains of Inkays and Dittos, and I corroborated the following:

    - Chain of 100 Inkays: Almost all of them between 60-100 Chain have at least 3 max IVs, some few of them 4 by normal chances for a stat. I caught 2 shiny Inkay at chain #40 and #81.

    -Chain of 100 Dittos: Same, all of them had at least 3 max IVs between 60-100 chain. Shinies quickly appeared by resetting the pokeradar at #40 and #81.


    Furthermore, some aspects I also noticed while Chaining:

    - We had 4 shaking patches in the old system (According to the Chaining Grid: one for 1-away Zone, one for 2-away, one for 3-away, and one for 4-away). Now, we are dealing with 5 shaking patches in total (The same as before, plus one decoy patch which always appears in the 1-away/2-away/3-away Zone, never in the 4-away zone). It's crucial to identify the decoy patch, specially when it's a 3-away decoy, it can be mistaken for a 4-away patch.

    - There are three types of grasses as others stated here. The Violent Shaking Patch has the higher chance for continuing your chain, because decoy patches never shake violently and Violent patches are easier to hear and notice. Violent Shaking Patch is very similar to the Yellow Sparkly Patch from the old system.

    - I developed a theory years ago that showed when 4-away patch was not the safest one, because the high probability was transfered to the other zones according to some "Patterns". I knew when to enter to the 1-away, 2-away and 3-away zone, in the old generation, for continuing my chain successfully. However, in this generation, the decoy patch makes it difficult to recognize those patterns, so I've been entering the 4-away Zone exclusively, and I'm having 100% success in my chains. Of course, I often reset the pokeradar when I feel breaking patterns for 4-away appear. Instinct....

    - Probabilities for continuing your chain in borders are the same as before. If you enter a right patch in the mid-border of a good grass zone, so your Grid is cut in half, and defeat the wild pokemon, your chance of continuing the chain is: 96%. But, if you decide to enter a safe 4-away patch at the edge/corner of the Grid, the chance for continuing the chain falls fown to 78% which makes it risky. The 96% of probability is a good value for me so I'm still entering in patches at the appropiate borders. This can be applied in Azure Bay or Route 5 where the grass is of a good proportion. However.... this game gives us about 95% of horrible places for chaining.... where your chances of continuing a chain after entering a patch in borders is reduced drastically. Sucessful chains in those places require some kind of mastery in playing with "Half of the Chaining Grid", in other words, to know where to place yourself to reset the pokeradar and which borders have the higher chances of continuing your chain, because waiting for the perfect 4-away patch (not in the border + Violent Shaking) can take too long, so it's necessary to risk early on the chain. (#2-25).


    Hope this info helps. Finally, the Shiny Adamant Ditto with 4 max IVs that I caught at chain #81.

    Good post.

    These tips are really good. I fully back the idea of playing a little bit risky (but intelligently of course) early on in the chain. Once I get to 25 I go into lockdown mode - no silly mistakes and I use strict rule following. So the first 25 can go by quickly and the last 15 can be a little more time consuming but it's not boring as you know you are getting close to the goal. Counting your chain should be easy, guys. Just use the pp of your lead pokemon (make sure it was healed before starting and has 40pp worth of one hit ko moves available at least). Get at least 100 super repels so you are not discouraged from resetting (other repels aren't economical so cost more money. Supers work out the cheapest per step).

    Also, after chaining for a while, I found that I just got a good instinct for what a good set of patches was. You need to fail a few times to spot the bad patch sets. If I see a bad set, my alarm bells ring and I reset. It's really intuitive and hard to explain. It's a case of practice makes perfect and also having an understanding of the rules. Don't be discouraged from failing. You will need to try maybe a dozen times before it clicks. Get prepared, go to the area you are chaining, use a super repel, save and go for it! If the chain gets messed up, soft reset the 3ds and retry. It can be done, I went from noob to pro in literally an hour.
    Last edited by Emily101; 11th November 2013 at 7:29 AM.
    Shine bright like a diamond


    My FC is 4785-4568-5063. I have a Dark type Friend Safari (Absol - Justified, Crawdaunt - Adaptability, Mightyena - Moxie). If you add me, send me a message with your FC. (Currently looking for Ivysaur and Eevee safaris.)

    Emily101's Shiny Chaining Guide (foolproof!)

  24. #624
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Another new change is that, after battle, there is a slim chance that the music will change to a more up-beat music. When this occurs, there is a higher chance of encountering a Shiny Pokémon.
    Serebii update. Nice touch
    Last edited by alakazam^; 11th November 2013 at 9:02 AM.
    FT: Diancie, Ball/Fancy Vivillon, Wonderland , Mega Stones, Enigma Berry and Pokerus.

    Kalos Shinies:






    All Shiny Vivillon except Sun/Events. Chesnaught (M). Greninja (F)

    X 0602-7374-3204 - エックス (Elegant)

    Y 4527-8721-8292 - ワイ (Monsoon)

  25. #625
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nuvema Town, Unova
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alakazam^ View Post
    Serebii update. Nice touch
    Ahaha, I was literally about to see if anyone had mentioned this yet. Thank Arceus for the Japanese guide uncovering the mystery for us....most people had predicted this was the purpose of the music.


    White Kyurem, the dragon infused with the power of Reshiram

Page 25 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •