Page 28 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: PokéRadar & Chain Fishing Thread

Quick question. Does soft reset work on an egg thats "about to hatch" in hopes of a shiny instead of hatching a million eggs and filling up the boxes on the pc

Quote Originally Posted by Emily101 View Post
    I can confirm that this is correct. I chained my way to 40 and this time I had lots of extra super repels, at least 60 left over. I kept resetting until I ran out and did not encounter another shiny patch. That to me confirms that there is only one shiny per 40 chain which I am okay with. It makes that one shiny all the more special

To everyone else, would any of you like me to type up a clear guide on how to chain with 100% success?
    Ah, yes, if you've been getting repeated success on chaining, I'd like to know as well. I'm fairly good at it now but I'm trying to chain in more difficult areas [Route 14 for Goomy] so this help would be greatly appreciated .w.

Quote Originally Posted by outburs View Post
    Quick question. Does soft reset work on an egg thats "about to hatch" in hopes of a shiny instead of hatching a million eggs and filling up the boxes on the pc
    Eggs have always been determined once you receive them but now in Gen VI, the eggs are determined when the parents are placed in the daycare. I tested this by saving before receiving any eggs, hatching several eggs, soft resetting, and hatching the same amount of eggs over again.

I got the same IVs, nature, and Ability for all the Pokemon I hatched before soft resetting.
    Last edited by SkyDeity; 13th November 2013 at 6:17 PM.

White Kyurem, the dragon infused with the power of Reshiram

Does anyone know if you save and quit while chaining will break your chain of not?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDeity View Post
    Ah, yes, if you've been getting repeated success on chaining, I'd like to know as well. I'm fairly good at it now but I'm trying to chain in more difficult areas [Route 14 for Goomy] so this help would be greatly appreciated .w.

Eggs have always been determined once you receive them but now in Gen VI, the eggs are determined when the parents are placed in the daycare. I tested this by saving before receiving any eggs, hatching several eggs, soft resetting, and hatching the same amount of eggs over again.

I got the same IVs, nature, and Ability for all the Pokemon I hatched before soft resetting.
    so the shiny that's somewhere in there is predetermined as soon as the parents are placed in the day care?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrive
    We all stand in single file line, and we have all been born into it.

My guide for Pokéradar chaining

Alright guys, this is how I chain. I began a few days ago and had reasonable success and spent a lot of time trying different things. I now have a 100% success rate with getting to a chain of 40. The rules are quite strict but, this method should guarantee you a shiny. It has for me. I'll try my best to explain.

The basics

Okay so most of you will know this stuff but I'll put it here for any novices.

1. You will need a pokemon that has 40 moves that will one hit ko the pokemon you are chaining. Since the pokeradar is unlocked after the elite 4, you should have a pokemon that is strong enough for all situations. Make sure it is fully healed as you will be using its used pp as a counter for your chain of 40.

2. You will need at least 100 super repels. The more the better though. (don't forget pokeballs! I recommend Quick Balls and Ultras or Dusk at night)

3. Register the pokeradar item. Do not have any other item registered. This is good practice to cut out silly mistakes by using the wrong item.

4. Go to the area you would like to chain in. I recommend an area of grass that is large (at least 5x5 tiles) I will explain why further on.

5. Use your first super repel and save. This way you can soft reset your 3ds if you run into a pokemon right away that you don't want to chain.

6. Go into the grass and use the pokeradar using the Y button (registered item) The grass will shake. Enter a patch of grass and see what the pokemon you are chaining will be. If you don't like it, soft reset the 3ds and repeat this step until you get the pokemon you are looking for.

The Important Part!

Okay most of you knew the basics, so you have your first pokemon encounter and have knocked it out. You are on a chain of one. Now you must pay super close attention to the grass. Keep the volume on as sound helps. There are a few different types of shaking grass ranging from a super slow shake to a really fast shake. The slowest shake that barely moves is always a decoy with no pokemon in it. You must always avoid this.

1. In order to keep a chain alive, you must enter a patch of grass that shook exactly like the previous patch. I cannot stress that part enough. I recommend that you only enter patches that shake very fast. There are patches that shake fast, and patches that shake extra fast. The fastest one is the easiest to distinguish and makes the loudest sound so I only use those personally.

2. Only enter your selected type of patch if it is 4 tiles away (meaning that you had to walk horizontally for 4 tiles or vertically for 4 tiles.) The tile might not be a straight walk away and will most likely require you to turn but make sure it is exactly 4 tiles away horizontally or vertically. No more, no less. This might be a little more time consuming but it is not as hard as it sounds as I will give a tip further on to make this type of tile appear.

3. If the patch you are looking for does not show, reset the pokeradar by walking in non-shaking grass for 50 steps then use the pokeradar again. Repeat until you see a tile which meets the criteria of 1 and 2 above. You must be strict on this. Yes you can achieve a 40 streak while being a bit more risky in your choices but if you want 100% success, stick to these tips.

4. Never enter a patch on the edge of the grass. Yes, you can continue the chain but there is a chance (I would say about 20%) that your chain will not continue afterwards. You must also NEVER use the pokeradar on the edge of the area of grass for the same reason.

5. When you finally knock out 40 pokemon. That's it, you are done encountering pokemon. Now you just keep resetting the radar as your chances for seeing a shiny patch have been maximised. This can take a little time, but take your time. You've worked hard to get to this point. Keep walking or running 50 steps in non shaking grass then use the radar over and over. Eventually you will see a shiny patch. This is really easy to see as a little jingle sound plays when it shake and the patch gives off a little shine like glitter shook from it. Enter it and capture your shiny pokemon!

So that's it guys, that's all there is to it. I am aware that encounters can be made by not following these rules and I have played and had success even by not following these steps but I didn't have repeated success. Follow the steps, be strict about it, dedicate an hour or maybe two to it and you will get your shiny pokemon.

The absolute best area of grass in the game for trying these steps for the first time is on the end of route 7, just before you get to the cave.

Extra tips

Now that you know what to do, there are a few things you can get the habit of doing that will help you achieve your goal.

1. So you will want to make very fast shaking patches appear at 4 tiles away. Now, you can't just make a very fast patch appear as it is random but you can increase your chances of it being 4 tiles away with a very simple technique. Use the pokeradar near the bottom of the grass and in the middle. Not in the bottom row (the edge) but in the row JUST above that. The reason being is that it should maximise the area in which a tile 4 steps away can appear - To the left, right and top. The reason we leave out the bottom is that is is hard to see 4 tiles away. Keep resetting in this area until your very fast shaking tile appears 4 tiles away

2. Watch your step, be patient , don't make the silly mistake of walking into the wrong tile and don't just go for a random tile. Stick to the plan and you'll come out on top. Never use rollerblades as it breaks the chain. Walk or run only.

3. Reset often. There are times where you'll see a patch shake and think "Hmm maybe that shook the way I am looking for". If you aren't sure, reset the radar. If you see a perfect patch but forget how to get there without entering another shaking patch, reset the radar. It is always safer to reset and keep your streak. Only enter the patch when it meets the criteria and you know you can get to it without entering another patch.

So that's everything I think. It really works. If you fail somehow, I would say pay closer attention and make sure you are entering the same type of shaking patch each time (which really should be the fastest shaking ones)

The game can trick you by making the sound of a really fast shaking patch (which will definitely appear in your set) but your eyes might be drawn to a different slightly slower moving patch. This is the biggest confusion I think and it is a little tricky so pay extra close attention. Personally I use headphones to listen and I concentrate on the patches at the same time. If I'm not convinced, I reset the radar.

I also recommend using a pokemon at level 71 or higher for knocking out pokemon if you haven't caught the roaming legendary. You don't need any distractions although I'm sure it doesn't break the chain anyways.

It is possible to enter any patch of grass and continue your chain - this is based on luck though. We aren't interested in luck, we want to guarantee the encounter each time. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing a Volbeat or something interrupt a good chain lol.

Let's say below is the area of grass. You should try to position yourself to use the radar on the bolded tiles as this maximizes your chances for a perfect shaking tile that can appear 4 tiles away - because you gave it enough space to happen above you and to your left and right. Now it is not always possible to get down to this row to reset the radar and that is okay. Just try to get there when it is possible.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXX444444444XXX
    XXX433333334XXX
    XXX432222234XXX
    XXX432111234XXX
    XXX4321O1234XXX
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Don't let this big post overwhelm you or put you off. The only part you need is the section titled "The Important Part" Those 5 steps if followed will get you the results. The rest is just to help you understand better and to give you better habits when chaining!

Things I'm not sure on

The upbeat music. I know there was a guide that says it increases the shiny chances while it plays but generally I ignore it as it can be a distraction. I stick to my plan. I have never found a shiny while the music plays (although it is possible.)
    Last edited by Emily101; 13th November 2013 at 7:58 PM.
    Shine bright like a diamond

My FC is 4785-4568-5063. I have a Dark type Friend Safari (Absol - Justified, Crawdaunt - Adaptability, Mightyena - Moxie). If you add me, send me a message with your FC. (Currently looking for Ivysaur and Eevee safaris.)

Emily101's Shiny Chaining Guide (foolproof!)

Quote Originally Posted by SkyDeity View Post

Would this mean that to get a shiny from the eggs in the daycare now... you'd have to keep going without a save and exit, instead of just keeping on at your own pace as usual? I've read about the daycare thing elsewhere in IV breeding topics, but it's just going over my head at the moment to be honest >.<
    4871-3883-3277 My Safari is type with: Pansear, Braxien and Larvesta!
    I'm almost out of space for new Safari friends and I'm still looking for Safari's with:
    -- Bug: Masquerain---
    PM me your FC if you add me ^^ (I'm only taking people with the Safari's listed above) And remember to connect in your pokemon game so that your friends can register your third safari slot! =D

Quote Originally Posted by Emily101 View Post
    I can confirm that this is correct. I chained my way to 40 and this time I had lots of extra super repels, at least 60 left over. I kept resetting until I ran out and did not encounter another shiny patch. That to me confirms that there is only one shiny per 40 chain which I am okay with. It makes that one shiny all the more special

To everyone else, would any of you like me to type up a clear guide on how to chain with 100% success?

Shiny Swirlix

[IMG]http://i40.*******.com/bf1020.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.*******.com/4jro1l.jpg[/IMG]
    I would love to hear the method to this madness. I can barely chain 7 miltanks without something braking the chain.

Credits to Snowflake for the userbar

thanks or the writeup. going to try again tonight. best I have been able to do is about 10. I'll try the 4 method, no more no less. and also only do the extra shakey bushes. and reset when I'm unsure. any other important tidbits from the gurus? anyone who has had great success should contribute and make a fool proof DIY tutorial.
    3DS Friend Code: Doobius - 1607-2505-9784
    Safari: Electric - Pikachu - Dedenne - Luxio

Your signature contained too many images. Read the rules before you add anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by weavile606 View Post
    so the shiny that's somewhere in there is predetermined as soon as the parents are placed in the day care?
    That is exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by Fieora View Post
    Would this mean that to get a shiny from the eggs in the daycare now... you'd have to keep going without a save and exit, instead of just keeping on at your own pace as usual? I've read about the daycare thing elsewhere in IV breeding topics, but it's just going over my head at the moment to be honest >.<
    I'd save prior to putting the parents in the daycare. Or if you want to reset the odds of what you'll get, take the parent out and put it back in.

@Emily Thank you so much for your guide. I discovered that entering the same patch was the key in the early days of X&Y but I guess I still get fooled and don't pay close attention. My major problem is generating the fast shaking patches more often so that tip helped a loooooooot .w.

White Kyurem, the dragon infused with the power of Reshiram

Emily 101:

I agree with your guide and I use similar technique to obtain my chains.

I would just say that iun my epxperience a good patch does not have to 4 steps horizontal or 4 steps vertical, it can be a combination of the two (e.g. three up one right or two left two down).

My shiny hunting news:

Since I got my shiny heracross I decided to look into other ways to get shinies than pokeradar. I got a shiny skrelp on my 8th chain with a rod. Then I went to friend safari and got a shiny drapion and two shiny glooms in my friends poison safari =).

If anyone would like to trade any shinies, let me know! The glooms, dragalge and drapion are going spare.

Emily101 you are a legend! It's the point about resetting the radar I wasn't aware of. Even if it is only a lil' Skiddo I've nabbed my first shiny.
    3DS FC: 4554 - 0175 - 9052
    Dark Type Safari: Nuzleaf, Sneasel and Inkay
    PM me if you add me

Finally, a shiny Scatterbug -.- Stupid new mechanics making me defeat another 40 to get a second one...
    Will have access to Steelix's Mega Stone. LF Shiny Vivillons, legit Japanese event shiny Jirachi, legit Japanese Diancie, legit Japanese Wonderland Darkrai.

FT: Diancie, Ball/Fancy Vivillon, Wonderland , Mega Stones, Enigma Berry and Pokerus.

Kalos Shinies:

All Shiny Vivillon except Sun/Events. Chesnaught (M). Greninja (F)

X 0602-7374-3204 - エックス (Elegant)

Y 4527-8721-8292 - ワイ (Monsoon)

So i tried chain fishing in route 21. I got a chain of 49 until the chain broke because nothing was biting, and still no shiny! Can someone give me tips on increased success? Was there something i forgot or was i just having awful luck today?

While I was gathering the battle tree-specific berries, I tried to give Poke Radar a go with a Drapion. It looks like I reached 40 and didn't get anything... Should I have kept using the radar outside the rustling bushes to make that sparkling bush appear?

Quote Originally Posted by FlareBlitz3000 View Post
    So i tried chain fishing in route 21. I got a chain of 49 until the chain broke because nothing was biting, and still no shiny! Can someone give me tips on increased success? Was there something i forgot or was i just having awful luck today?
    Awful luck.

Hi. I have a question. I got a shiny Swirlix in a NORMAL patch at chain 36 and I read that you can only get one shiny "patch" per 40 in a chain. Well seeing as my shiny was not found in a shiny patch does that mean I can reset at 40 for a shiny patch still or will the random shiny reset the shiny patch rate?
    Shinies are good.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    While I was gathering the battle tree-specific berries, I tried to give Poke Radar a go with a Drapion. It looks like I reached 40 and didn't get anything... Should I have kept using the radar outside the rustling bushes to make that sparkling bush appear
    Yes, reset the radar until the shiny patch appears.
    Will have access to Steelix's Mega Stone. LF Shiny Vivillons, legit Japanese event shiny Jirachi, legit Japanese Diancie, legit Japanese Wonderland Darkrai.

FT: Diancie, Ball/Fancy Vivillon, Wonderland , Mega Stones, Enigma Berry and Pokerus.

Kalos Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by Scrufox86 View Post
    Hi. I have a question. I got a shiny Swirlix in a NORMAL patch at chain 36 and I read that you can only get one shiny "patch" per 40 in a chain. Well seeing as my shiny was not found in a shiny patch does that mean I can reset at 40 for a shiny patch still or will the random shiny reset the shiny patch rate?
    I'm not sure we know that. Try reseting for a while.

Kalos Shinies:

If a mod wants to put a link to the little guide I typed or copy and paste it into the first post or whatever, that's fine. I think it helped a couple of people get their shiny pokemon
    Shine bright like a diamond

My FC is 4785-4568-5063. I have a Dark type Friend Safari (Absol - Justified, Crawdaunt - Adaptability, Mightyena - Moxie). If you add me, send me a message with your FC. (Currently looking for Ivysaur and Eevee safaris.)

Emily101's Shiny Chaining Guide (foolproof!)

To those who Pokeradar Chain, where do you chain? I find it extremely difficult this generation as the Flower Patches are very annoying, and there are no good grass spots.

And.. there are TOO MANY PLUSLES.
    FRIEND CODE: Pokemon Y - 4399-0179-3036 (Willy)
    FRIEND SAFARI: ELECTRIC

Emolga - Helioptile - Manectric
    Bug Catcher Kreayshawn

Quote Originally Posted by Kreayshawn View Post
    To those who Pokeradar Chain, where do you chain? I find it extremely difficult this generation as the Flower Patches are very annoying, and there are no good grass spots.

And.. there are TOO MANY PLUSLES.
    Flower patches aren't honestly that bad. But if you find yourself encountering too many Plusles, could it be because you are lacking Repels?
    3DS Friend Code: 3609-1355-2485 (Missingno.)
    Friend Safari: Dedenne, Helioptile, Galvantula (Electric)

PM me if you added me!

Quote Originally Posted by VolcaronaZero View Post
    Flower patches aren't honestly that bad. But if you find yourself encountering too many Plusles, could it be because you are lacking Repels?
    Actually it's not the Plusles, It's just that I find the shaking patches harder to distinguish.
    FRIEND CODE: Pokemon Y - 4399-0179-3036 (Willy)
    FRIEND SAFARI: ELECTRIC

Emolga - Helioptile - Manectric
    Bug Catcher Kreayshawn

hopefully i can get a couple quick answers. on a chain of about 30 in the village with a zoroark and don't want to mess it up. will my chain break if i use some sort of pp restore or potion, or if i switch out to another poke? only have moves left with blaziken that do damage to myself as well, so can i restore hp or pp, or will that break it....or can i switch to a different poke out of battle, or let this guy faint and go to the next?

Your signature contained too many images. Read the rules before you add anything new.

Has anyone successfully found a shiny haunter by chaining? I done it for shiny abra which is my first successful chain, considering abra is rare and it knows teleports. I tried both locations that has haunter and I am not doing so well.

Does anyone found out how to get the upbeat music?

well i don't know if i should be happy or pissed. on about 42-43 the chain broke. must have got caught up in the moment and either made the mistake of picking the wrong strength of shaky bush, or it was the edge thing.

2 or 3 of my moves did not land, so i was waiting until 43 to start resetting for the shiny bush. at least now i know it is possible to get that high, and will be more careful with the edges and shaky vs. extra shaky. will also have to start tracking if any moves miss in addition to adding up the pp.

guess i'll be back at it tomorrow. almost had you shiny zoroark.

I caught my 9th shiny tonight using the chain fishing method! I found a shiny Goldeen in 61 chains tonight, and earlier I found a shiny Carvanah in 104 chains. I really like using the chain fishing method, and I think i'm been getting better and better with it. Practice makes perfect! Good luck to everyone else that hunts for shiny's with the chain fishing method
    Last edited by NintendoFan82; 14th November 2013 at 6:39 AM.

My Friend Code for my 3ds! My friend Safari Type is Poison
    1693 1038 1902

Page 28 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast