Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen VI Community POTW #001

Default Gen VI Community POTW #001

It's time for the first ever Gen VI Pokémon of the Week, and this week we're beginning with the starter Pokémon

Chesnaught is a powerful Pokémon with a decent signature move.

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/652.shtml

Note: So far, I've catalogued the following Egg Moves: Belly Drum, Curse, Defense Curl, Quick Guard, Spikes, Synthesis

Go nuts

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
    Bulletproof
    Impish
    252 Hp/252 Def/4 SDef
    -Leech Seed
    -Spikes
    -Spiky Shield/Protect
    -Hammer Arm/Seed Bomb

The new Ferrothorn? Prolly not, but it can annoy with Spikes and Leech Seeds. Spiky Shield for damaging protection when used properly. Protect is the reliable alternative. Hammer Arm is just the STAB move for taunters, but Seed Bomb can be better, seeing as many ghosts tend to Taunt.

I have claimed the awesome Kingdra

OOh Chesnaught! Yay first gen VI POTW! Ok so Chesnaught definitely is defensive, but I see it as an Offensive Tank
    First, here are Chesnaught's base stats (well at least according to the XY Pokedex here on Serebii):
    HP 88
    ATK 107
    DEF 122
    Sp ATK 74
    Sp DEF 75
    Spe 64

And here is my set:

Nature: Calm (or a defense boosting one)
    Item: Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Def
    252 ATK
    4 HP
    Moves:
    Bulk Up
    Body Slam/Brick Break
    Spike Shield/Synthesis
    Wood Hammer

This plays more on the reckless offensive side though, but i've been playing with it on Random Match-up, and it works to an extent

EDIT: Chesnaught does have recovery (Synthesis as an egg move)
    FC (White): 1248-9416-2795
    3DS FC: 1633-4254-1939
    Friend Safari: (Rock) Dwebble, Macargo, Barbaracle
    PM me if you want a battle or trade

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    What? You don't feel the testosterone rush through your veins when you look at Machamp's large, manly pecs?

Countering Chesnaught:

If the Chesnaught knows Spiky Shield, stick to the Special attacks, as you'll want to not get hit by that spiky shield. I've seen many users who play it safe, equipping the Rocky Helm with the Spiky shield. Here's what you're not gonna do: Use Physical flying moves. Sure, the quad weakness is quite daring, but with a defence of 122, I won't reccomend it. You may also want to use the new Fairy type moves, notably Dazzling Gleam or Moonblast, as Fairy tends to go for the Special attack side of things.
    If it doesn't know spiky shield, bomb him away with your Flying moves. It should range in the 1HKO to the 2HKOs.

Edit: Oh, and beware of its HA, Bulletproof. That means don't use bomb/Ball/sphere attacks (ex: Sludge bomb, Acid spray, Ice ball, Shadow Ball, etc...) Or you'll be feeding him a turn to hit you. and 107 base attack can hit you hard, if you're not careful. So hit it hard with Spe. attack, as with a mediocre 75 base spe. defence and a sub par speed of 64, you can out speed it before it does anything nasty to your team
    Last edited by thepinguins; 27th October 2013 at 1:35 PM.
    5327 1078 9791 PM me if you add me :3 I have a Ground type Safari with Marowak, Trapinch and Palpitoad Currently looking for a Forretress. Add me if you have your run of the mill Sturdy Forretress

I'm also thepinguins{Death By Chocolate} on steam so add me if you want

Interesting to say the least. Chesnaught has a few tricks up its sleeve.

Nature: Impish
    Ability: Bulletproof
    EVs: 252 special defense, 100 defense, 156 HP
    @: Leftovers

Spikes
    Leech Seed
    Substitute
    Synthesis/Wood Hammer

Spikes and SubSeed set. Not really my Super Size Strawberry Milkshake (Whimsicott's better I think), but I find it potentially effective.
    I claim Buizel.

Chesnaught the Warrior
    Bulletproof w/ Miracle Seed/Life Orb/Leftovers
    Adamant/Brave w/ 252 Attack, 252 Defense, 6 HP
    Seed Bomb/Needle Arm
    Hammer Arm/Brick Break
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake/Shadow Claw/Poison Jab

Countering
    High Defense and Sp Attack with Flying/Fire/Ice/Poison/Psychic/Fairy-type moves like Charizard and Heat/Fan Rotom.
    Other pokemon includes Aerial Ace Scizor/Escavalier, Metagross, Gliscor, Pinsir, Garchomp.
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 29th October 2013 at 8:24 PM.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Chesnaught is a really special pokemon. Theres many ways to go about using him.

Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Attack, 252 HP, 4 Speed

~Belly Drum/Bulk Up/Swords Dance
    ~Synthesis/Leech Seed/Spiky Shield
    ~Seed Bomb/Wood Hammer/Hammer Arm
    ~Earthquake/Stone Edge/Hammer Arm

Set up and destroy with STAB Seed Bomb/Wood Hammer/Hammer Arm with EQ and Stone Edge for coverage, and healing or scouting options to back it up.
    Click image for respective credits

Does anyone know all moves affected by chestnaught's bulletproof?

[UPDATE] Nvm found the list: http://serebii.net/abilitydex/bulletproof.shtml

I'm keeping the list as a reference.

[UPDATE 2] Cross-refering with bulbapedia's list shows the same result http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...roof_(Ability) , but whether the two researched separately is another issue.
    Also, http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/69695...7530970?page=1 show a trial and error that matches the above's list.
    Last edited by pikadon92; 27th October 2013 at 2:30 PM.

Nature: Calm
    Item: Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
    EVs: 252 Def/252 ATK/4 HP
    Moves:
    -Leech Seed/Bulk Up
    -Wood Hammer/Seed Bomb
    -Hammer Arm
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Shadow Claw/Poison Jab/Payback

This set is pretty much an offensive tank. Leftovers are for healing without set up or against another grass type but Rocky Helmet can bee run with Leech Seed to capitalize on its defense. Leech seed is for healing and can be paired with Leftovers to heal even more or Rocky Helmet to deal more damage, if you Leftovers you could opt for Bulk Up to boost but you want a healing option to keep him hitting. Wood Hammer is an incredibly powerful grass STAB but deals recoil damage. Seed Bomb is less powerful but has no negative effect. Hammer Arm is the other STAB but slows Chesnaught down, not that it matters with his speed, but if you are really worried about it there is Brick Break. The last slot is for coverage, Stone Edge and Rock Slide are for the 4x weakness of flying types the choice is power or accuracy, Shadow Claw is for psychics and ghost, Poison Jab hits fairies and other grass types, while Payback also hits psychics and ghost and hits harder since it will almost always hit last.

Can't really say too much for certain unless we can verify all aspects of Gen VI. Much like an actual tank, Chesnaught is slow-ish, Physically bulky, and hits hard with Physical attacks. HP isn't too bad and Special stats could've been worse, but consider the Quad-Weakness to Fighting. Its Base Stats are built like Breloom's except with lowered Attack and every other stat raised. Not too shabby. Overgrow is pretty standard for a starter, but Bulletproof is pretty nice since it prevents a few of the common power Moves like Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast. Signature Move is...well, what's not to love about a Move that's basically Protect and Iron Barbs Ability rolled into one? The main issue is Air Slash and Hurricane because they will wreck it like tissue paper in a strong wind...

Side Note: I've noticed that Fairy's addition to the Type Pool is actually a good buff to Poison- and Steel-Type Moves' usage, but it's too early to tell what the potential usage of certain Pokémon, new or old, will be now. I expect to see more of Sludge Bomb, Iron Tail, Flash Cannon, and many others. For example, Whimsicott is nerfed defensively by its new secondary Type against Poison Types, but Mawile's newfound neutrality to Fighting Types opens it up to more options. I can't wait to see how the balance of power shifts...
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Chesnaught is similar to torterra with good bulk, but bad typing to make good use of it. Chesnaught also lacks access to a speed boosting move, making him more of a wall breaker / tank and making him predictable.

Chesnaught @ Assault Vest
    Trait: Bulletproof
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - Seed Bomb / Wood Hammer
    - Hammer Arm / Brick Break
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

With its high physical bulk, but lower special bulk, the assault vest gives him boost to special defense allowing him to tank hits from both sides of the offensive spectrum easier. As with any offensive tank, max evs in hps is needed as well as your offensive stat. Seed Bomb is your main stab, having solid power with no drawbacks, wood hammer is another option as it gives more power, but wares down chesnaught faster. Hammer arm is its only good fighting stab but slows it down, tho its going to be out speed by a lot of threats as it is, brick break is another option, being like seed bomb. Stone edge and earthquake are for coverage, mostly to catch stuff on switch ins as chesnaught wouldn't like to take a super effective attacks.

Checks and Counters: Everyone should stop kidding with using OU counters, chesnaught wont be OU, probably RU. That said, altaria is a solid counter, but has to be careful of stone edge. Doublade is probably the best with its strong physical bulk, backed by an evolite, and counters back with aerial ace. Lastly, exeggutor beats chesnaught 1 v 1 resisting everything but stone edge, and can shrug off the damage with its bulk.
    Last edited by McDanger; 27th October 2013 at 5:09 PM.

I have a suggestion regarding POTW for gen VI (I created an account specifically for this suggestion). Considering we only got through about 140-something pokemon for gen V, and now there are even more pokemon, wouldn't it be a good idea to make POTW a bi-weekly affair? I know I utilize the lists compiled here a lot, and I think many people would benefit from it being twice a week (or simply two pokemon released on Sunday), and maybe we could show off the majority of Pokemon and their strategies instead of a fraction of them. What do you guys think?

As for Chestnaught, I haven't had the opportunity to use him yet and couldn't give any helpful movesets but i'm loving the ones I've read before me!

Chesnaught can get spikes... Awesome!!

Defensive

Leech Seed
    Spikes
    Spiky Shield/Substitute
    Wood Hammer/Hammer Arm

Ability: Bullet Proof
    EV's; 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp.Def/Atk

Straight forward Set up spikes and Leech Seed at stall out with Spiky shield or Substitute(which ever you think will be handier). Wood Hammer and Hammer Arm are strong STAB moves so he isnt hindered by taunt. going by the wording of Bulletproof's description he gets 0 damage form certain attacks like the now presumably common Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball( thus making him easily come in on Gengar). a specially defencive spread may also be optional but his high defense is better to make use of.

Offensive

Wood Hammer/Spiky Shield
    Hammer Arm
    Earthquake
    Dragon Claw

Item: choice band/Life orb
    Ability: Overgrow OR BulletProof
    Nature: Adamant
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 def/sp.def OR 252 atk, 252 Speed

pretty simple again. just attack with the right move. Spiky shield can be used over wood hammer but only if you are holding Life Orb. either ability works depending on weather or not you have wood hammer also the protection form bullet prof may be handy for switching in.

Quote Originally Posted by EonDragonFTW View Post
    OOh Chesnaught! Yay first gen VI POTW! Ok so Chesnaught definitely is defensive, but I see it as an Offensive Tank
    First, here are Chesnaught's base stats (well at least according to the XY Pokedex here on Serebii):
    HP 88
    ATK 107
    DEF 122
    Sp ATK 74
    Sp DEF 75
    Spe 64

And here is my set:

Nature: Calm (or a defense boosting one)
    EVs: 252 Def
    252 ATK
    4 HP
    Moves:
    Bulk Up
    Body Slam/Brick Break
    Spike Shield/Synthesis
    Wood Hammer

This plays more on the reckless offensive side though, but i've been playing with it on Random Match-up, and it works to an extent

EDIT: Chesnaught does have recovery (Synthesis as an egg move)
    I think you mean careful nature. not Calm. Calm hinders the attack stats. you might need to check the nature section on the site.

I'm not a fan of Chesnaught I prefer my Sceptile and Breloom for my attacking grass types and Amoogus and Ferrothorn for my bulky types. I used Chesnaught as my run through game poke and he performed quite well. Anyway the set I'd run in a competitive battle would be a physically bulky staller.

Item: Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
    EV's: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Att
    Attacks:
    Synthesis
    Spikey Sheild
    Brick Break/ Hammer Arm
    Shadow Claw/ Toxic/ Pain Split

So moveset synthesis for recovery, spikey sheild to stall/scout/additional damage, brick break and hammer arm for STAB. The final slot if a bit of choice, shadow claw give scoverage with brick break/hammer arm. Toxic to wear down the opponent. Pain Split for some pseudo damage/healing.

Other noteable moves
    Poison Jab - covers fairy
    Payback - can be stronger then shadow claw by leaves open to attack from fairy types when paired with fighting move
    My Friend Code is 4699 6081 4381
    PM me yours and I'll add you
    MrCrizzle!!!
    Friend Safari Pokes: Frogedier

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
    Careful Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Pain Split
    - Spiky Shield
    - Dig/Stone Edge

Chesnaught's stats are physically-oriented so its defense is good enough to not warrant the necessity of defense EVs. The same cannot be said for its sp. defense so the need is there. Careful nature raises its special defense further at the cost of its sp. attack which it does not need.

Its moveset is primarily stall-based. Leech Seed saps the life off any non-grass mons. Pain Split gives it a form of healing off damage accumulated by attacks. Spiky Shield helps protect it from harmful damage and has the upside of harming the attacker should it use any contact moves. The choice between Dig and Stone Edge depends on whether you need more stall or more firepower.
    My current (Would-be) Team

Yup, pretty borderline.

Chesnaught doesnt seem so great to me, Spiky shield might be a threatening move, but with chesnaughts weakness to so many common attacking types, and lack of the god giving spore that breloom has, and amazing stats that virizion has, it really doesnt have anything to show as a grass fighting type. Im predicting its gonna rot in NU. Even still though, there are a few options, and one ive noticed in particular might be a decent threat if you can predict and get it in at the right time.

Drumming on A Shield

Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Evs: 252 attack, 252 speed, 4 Def
    Item: Salac Berry

Belly Drum
    Leech Seed/Seed Bomb/Brick Break
    Seed Bomb/Brick Break
    Brick Break/Stone Edge/Earthquake/Poison Jab

This is going to need a good switch in opportunity to work, into a not very effective attack it can easily take at least 26% damage from, but less then 50%. A choice user would be ideal to switch into. After that you use the turn which they switch out to use belly drum, maxing attack, and triggering your own salac berry. Leech seed can be used to gain more hp back after speeed has been raisd, and coverage moves to hit them. As almost all priority moves make contact, spiky shield, even while not used, will be on their minds when trying to counter. While it isnt fool proof, and could be easily countered by a choice scarf user, this will at least for a shot while break a gap in the enemy team, and do same damage. baton passing agility before a belly drum and using leftovers instead of salac berry would work nice too

As poison types are going to be used as counters to the new fairy typing, I can see chesnaught becoming a suprise threat with its immunity to sludge bomb, turning would be counters such as gengar with shadow ball and sludge bomb, with 2 resistances to chesnaught, into setup fodder.

To counter chesnaught though, just hit it with any super effective special attack, with its weakness to poison, fire, flying, and psychic, its not gonna be that hard to outspeed and destroy its wooden shield
    Last edited by Gecko1220; 27th October 2013 at 10:15 PM.

Chesnaught competitively is meh. It's a shame because it's easily the coolest of the Kalos starters. It does have a saving grace as an end-all counter to Gengar and other special ghosts, as Bulletproof protects against Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, Focus Blast, etc. Its typing sadly sucks, giving it 7 weaknesses, along with a 4x one to Flying attacks. It also has a serious case of 4MSS.

Bulking Up for the Winter
    Chesnaught @ Leftovers
    Calm/Impish/Adamant Nature
    EVs: 252 HP/68 Atk/136 SDef/52 Spe
    - Bulk Up
    - Seed Bomb / Wood Hammer
    - Hammer Arm / Brick Break
    - Stone Edge / Earthquake / Spike Shield

The EVs may look a bit wonky, but they have purpose. I'm too lazy to explain it right now, but they do stuff.
    did you think I'd post something here or something

wait I just did gdi

Overview:
    Chesnaught is the first Grass-starter I actually have a lot of interest in (not to knock the others) and is my main man for X and Y. In terms of what Chesnaught has to offer, he has some good points. His base 107 Attack in combination with Swords Dance, Belly Drum, Bulk Up, or Hone Claws allows him to hit hard physically. Also, a decent base 88 HP and great base 122 defense, combined with some great support moves like Leech Seed and Spiky Shield give him some defensive presence. In that sense, Chesnaught has some good strengths as a team member.

Sadly, Chesnaught has to contend with Breloom (and to a lesser extend, Virizion) as a Grass/Fighting type. Chesnaught's big problem is that offensively, it's Speed holds it back outside of Trick Room, and defensively, Grass/Fighting is not that great as a defensive typing (6 weaknesses, though 6 resistances) when tied with a slightly below-average Special Defense (Base 75). Don't let this make you think Chesnaught is bad, though, as he is no slouch and can wreck pretty hardcore when given the right support.

Abilities:
    Overgrow: Chesnaught's Grass-types moves get a 1.5 multiplier to their power when he's at 1/3 or less of his max HP. A good ability for extra power, so not a bad choice if you can't get his hidden ability.

Bulletproof: Protects Chesnaught from getting affected by certain moves (see the Abilitydex for an actual list). A pretty good ability, as it protects Chesnaught from some common moves such as Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, and Focus Blast. Also a good choice, especially on defensive sets.

Sets:

Grass-type Bowser?
    -Curse
    -Wood Hammer/Seed Bomb
    -Hammer Arm
    -Stone Edge/Shadow Claw/Payback
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    Ability: Bulletproof/ Overgrow
    Nature: Sassy (+Sp. Defense/-Speed)
    EVs: 252 HP, 4 Attack, 252 Sp. Defense

Credit to jesusfreak94 for the title of this set. This set works fantastic in Trick Room (even if this strategy is not seen as often), as it patches up Chesnaught's weaker points and makes him a crazy offensive presence in or out of Trick Room. Curse boosts Chesnaught's Attack and Defense by one stage each at the cost of lowering his Speed by one stage, which "speeds him up." Wood Hammer and Seed Bomb comes down to whether you want more power at the cost of recoil or no recoil with less power. Hammer Arm is great as well since it lowers Chesnaught's Speed, which again "speeds him up." The final move is for coverage. Stone Edge for Flying and Fire-types, and Shadow Claw for Ghost-types. Payback has similar coverage to Shadow Claw, but should only be used outside of Trick Room, as it really only hits hard if Chesnaught moves last.

The Leftovers help by giving HP recovery, which works with trying to make the recoil from Wood Hammer less severe. The ability comes down to what you can get, with Bulletproof being the better choice if you can get a hold of one with this ability. The Sassy nature lowers Speed (for Trick Room) and patches up that less awesome Sp. Defense.

Support Chesnaught
    -Leech Seed
    -Spikes
    -Toxic/Spiky Shield/Substitute
    -Seed Bomb
    Nature: Careful (+Sp. Defense, -Sp. Attack) or Impish (+Defense, -Sp. Attack)
    EVs: 252 HP, 4 Attack, 252 Sp. Defense or 252 HP, 252 Defense, 4 Sp. Defense

This set makes use of the good defensive capabilities Chesnaught has by utilizing both his stats and good support movepool. Leech Seed is not only for recovery, but helps break down the opposing Pokemon. Spikes is great team support, as entry hazards are usually very important on any team. The third move depends on what you want. Toxic cripples team with bad Poison, Spiky Shield is the special Protect that punishes direct attackers, and Substitute blocks status and helps protect Chesnaught in general. Seed Bomb is there to have an attacking move and does some decent damage and is only blocked by Pokemon with Sap Sipper.

The item and ability is the same as above. The nature depends on if you want more of a mixed wall or a full physical wall, and the EVs go along with that.

I am not too slow!!!
    -Wood Hammer
    -Brick Break/
    -Stone Edge
    -Shadow Claw/Poison Jab/Earthquake
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Ability: Overgrow/Bulletproof
    Nature: Jolly (+Speed, -Sp. Attack)
    EVs: 252 Attack, 4 Sp. Defense, 252 Speed

This is kind of gimmicky, but this set patches up Chesnaught's not-so-good Speed and uses his good Attack to break down foes. Wood Hammer and Brick Break get Same-Type-Attack-Bonus (STAB), and Stone Edge gives coverage against Flying and Fire-types. The last slot is for coverage. Shadow Claw is for Ghosts, Poison Jab is for Fairy-types, and and Earthquake is for Poison, Fire, and some Steel-types. The nature and EVs maximize Attack and Speed.

Other Options:
    -A Swords Dance or Belly Drum set can be viable, as they give a lot of raw power to Chesnaught.
    -Gyro Ball gives good coverage on slow sets.
    -Low Sweep gets STAB and also lowers the target's Speed stat by one stage, which can help Chesnaught and the team out.
    -Body Slam's chance to paralyze is cool, but it's slightly on the weaker side with no great coverage.
    -Aerial Ace has good typing, but the power is quite low.

Checks and Counters:
    With no tier placements as of now, that's hard to say. In general, special moves are the best way to take Chesnaught down, as it hits his lower defense and will never trigger Spiky Shield should he use it. Flying-types are also the way to go, as Chesnaught has a double-weakness to Flying, but if it hits super-effectively and is special, it will hurt Chesnaught a lot. Burn and bad Poison also hurt Chesnaught a lot, either crippling him with the Attack drop from burn or the increasing damage from bad Poison.

Overall Thoughts:
    Chesnaught might have some issues, but it has a lot of room to shine by being multi-dimensional. It has a good amount of power and moves that generally give it good coverage on offensive sets, and the defensive sets have some good utility. Overall, Chesnaught might be outclassed by Breloom, but more than capable of holding his own.
    Let's face it: ferret-esque Pokemon are the most epic Pokemon ever (to me)!!!!!! Why can't Nintendo make ones that AREN'T NU Pokemon?!? One of these guys in standard would make me quite happy.

Started by jesusfreak94:
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9186-8386 Pokemon Found: Mienfoo, Throw, Breloom

Yay the first Pokemon of Gen VI! Wah, I can’t reminisce about it due to not having X or Y!

Complaining aside, I think I will try a new reviewing format, rating a Pokemon on several key areas where it can soar or fall flat.

Typing: Chesnaught has the rare Grass Fighting type combination, shared by only Breloom and Virizion. While both of its counterparts were serious threats in Gen V, their typing has both strengths and weaknesses. 6 Resistances is very good, and allows Chesnaught to switch on many common attacks and even provides it a Stealth Rock resistance. Unfortunately, this is balanced out by 6 weaknesses, thanks to the newcomer Fairy. Even worse, Flying attacks are a double weakness.
    On the offensive side, Grass-Fighting is a fairly good stab combo, hitting many pokemon that have few weaknesses (Normal, Steel and Water come to mind), but is commonly resisted by Poison, Flying and Bug types.

Stats: Chesnaught has a fantastic physical stats with 107 ATK and 122 DEF it excels in the physical field. Base 88 HP is not too shabby either. Unfortunately its specials are where it falls flat. While a base 74 SATK can be ignored due to that ATK stat, 74 SDEF is only moderately bulky at best, meaning that a special volley can ruin the grass pugilist. 64 Speed is poor in normal play and only decent in Trick Room. While Chesnaught has some bulk to counteract, this isn’t enough for the most viscous assaults.

Moves: Chesnaught’s move pool has a healthy amount of physical attacks, but suffers from a slight degree of predictability. In addition to having potent stabs like Seed Bomb and Hammer Arm, Chesnaught also has access to Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Dragon Claw. Chesnaught also possesses moves that can drag its foes down to its speed levels in the form of Body Slam and Low Sweep. Swords Dance boosts its impressive attack to new heights, complementing its physical move pool. Its support move pool while sparse has neat toys like Leech Seed and Pain Split for recovery and a new toy in Spiky Shield, which is basically a Protect that causes damage to pokemon who use contact moves. Such a shame it causes foes to focus on its weaker defense.
    Unfortunately outside of the options listed above, Chesnaught has little else. The only other Fighting attack above base 40 that Chesnaught has is Brick Break. In addition, Chesnaught’s moves are all resisted by Skarmory, which is a health hazard to any aspiring physical sweeper.

Ability: Aside from a few notable exceptions it is rare that an ability makes or breaks a pokemon. Chesnaught is little different. While Overgrow is nice, Chesnaught’s speed means that it will rarely live to use that boost and Grass is resisted by a large number of types. While some of the moves Bulletproof “blocks” are nice, they are also generally rare, having poor use outside of Focus Blast and Energy Ball.

The Verdict: Watch the skies. While Chesnaught has a lot going for it, it also has several very debilitating weaknesses. The presence of a flier will often spell a quick doom for the grass Titan.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

So what about tiers? How do you guys think Chesnaught will stack up in the meta? Based on these replies I would think UU and BL2, RU at the worst

Well, well, well. Thus, Welcome to Kalos Generation Pokemon of the Week. Our first guest for this week will be one of the starters.

Meet Chesnaught the Paladin of Kalos.

On close inspection, I see a lot of similarities to Torterra in terms of playstyle. But the one highlight that sets it apart from the starter continent pokemon is spiky shield. It's a protect with Iron barbs that, if used properly, punishes physical fighters (yep. that includes Brave bird abusers like Talonflame and Staraptor).

But there is one move that most of you forgot to mention: Power-up-Punch. This increases its attack in every use. Personally, in a trick room, its quite a dangerous move at the right hands while he bluffs the user to its grass moves (Gengar has no problems with it though unless said ghost runs Sludge Wave since sludge bomb is pointless if Chesnaught has Bulletproof).

For me though, I would see this knight more in the field of double battles in trick room set. Heck, we just may see this pokemon fighting against Rhyperior: the premier bulky trick room juggernaut of the VGC.

Since the moves are said along with the counters and checks, I'm only here to mention its use in VGC and the move Power-up-punch.

As if that is not enough, in all honesty, I hate to say this, but it seriously Counters Cinccino in RU since our unovian chinchilla's multi attack move sets are stopped cold by Bulletproof; except tail slap. But who cares if Chesnaught could just spiky Shield her or use a fighting move against her. Use a couple power up punches could work too to setup.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

I dont think it will even be viable in RU. Virizion has fantastic stats as a grass fighter, and breloom has epic attack, two amazing abilities, and one of the best moves in the game in spore.
    Poor chesnaught is slower, has horrible special bulk, and really no amazing attacking stats. He is too fast for trick room though. He might be a decent pokemon in NU, but he wont be any stronger then that

Ah, Chesnaught. Not too bad for a starter. Good bulk, a pretty solid signature move, and a few other hard-hitting moves. Sadly, its typing leaves it with several weaknesses, and its lackluster move pool means there are some types that it really can't do anything about.

Abilities: Standard Overgrow starter ability, with Bulletproof as an amazing unique Hidden Ability. This allows for a free switch-in on several attacks, and if your opponent isn't aware of all it can block, you can sit there, set up, or hammer it to death!

Bulky leech seed
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 def, 6 sp def
    Moves:
    -Leech Seed
    -Spiky Shield / Protect
    -Wood Hammer / Seed Bomb
    -Power-up Punch / Hammer Arm

General strategy: Drain life with leech seed, buying turns of free healing with Spiky Shield or protect, then use powerful physical attacks to finish off.

Wood Hammer has amazing power, but the recoil can be dangerous, especially as a wall. Leech seed and leftovers can help heal back recoil, but it all adds up over time. Seed bomb is a recoil-free, but weaker, alternative.

Power-up punch is amazing, allowing you to set up and deal damage at the same time. Hammer Arm has significantly higher up-front power, though, and the speed drop won't matter too much, as Chesnaught is generally pretty slow to begin with.

Counters: Special-based flying type attacks. Seriously. Crobat takes 1/4 damage from both of Chesnaught's STABs, and can wreck it with a well-timed STAB attack of its own. Ghost-types, especially Gengar or Drifblim with their resistance to grass, can switch in with little risk. A usual Gengar set can't do much if you're running bulletproof, but Chesnaught can't do much in return. If you don't have flying or ghost types, use psychic, fairy, poison or fire. Chesnaught has so many weaknesses that pretty much every team will have something to deal with it.

Partners: If you're going to use Chesnaught, PLEASE bring in something to deal with flying types. Stunfisk can work well as disruption, paralyzing enemies, Soaking them into water type, and allowing Chesnaught to take them out with wood hammer. Other rock or electric types work well too, as they cover most of Chesnaught's weaknesses.
    Last edited by MythrilZenith; 28th October 2013 at 6:09 AM.

Well, honestly, Chestnaught is not my type of pokémon... ha-ha, got it? "Type"? Pokémon? No? Ok... So, about Chestnaught, I'd say its moves depend on the sole purpose of the pokémon in your team, and if we're going to make it work around the "tier" system, we need to know what tier it belongs/will belong to.

Competitively (talking about inside-the-game competitions, like tournaments or random rated battles), I think Chestnaught has a lot of room to shine, specially now that there aren't many worthy Flying-types to include in a team and Fairy is also super-effective against Fighting types, and it's the new type so it'll be more common than Flying-types. I wouldn't worry much about its x4 weakness, and focus more on its regular weaknesses (Poison, Fairy, Psychic, Fire and Ice, all of them being mainly Sp.Atk-based moves). The common Poison move now is Poison Jab, since it's a TM, and it's the main counter for Fairy types, but Chestnaught is a physical tank so he can withstand a good hit from a non-STAB Poison Jab, or even a STAB'd Poison Jab, granted it comes from a fairly "weak" Poison-type 'mon. Mainly, Poison-type pokémon aren't THAT strong (high base Atk), so he can resist a hit from Poison Jab without training it on Defense and without using a Nature that boosts defense.

As for its Sp.Def, it's not its main stat, but it's high enough to make it worth the EV training, and most of its weaknesses spin around Sp.Atk moves (Psychic, Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Overheat, Sludge Bomb, Moonblast, Blizzard, etc.) which usually belong to a high-stat pokémon of the same type (Alakazam, Slowking, Heatran, Dragalgae, etc). I would work around his HP and Sp.Def, since his Atk and Def are high enough to one-shot anything weak to Fighting and Grass, and two-shotting pokémon that take normal damage from those types. The only problem is that if we make it a full physical wall, it'll fall to the hands of any Sp.Atk-based move, because he's extremely slow compared to Sp.Atk-based pokémon, And giving it more defense to its already high base defense will make it redundant and unreliable in different situations.

So, less "blah", more "build".

Oh, and one last thing. Since I'm doing this based on the game we are currently playing, I'm NOT going to use Bulletproof since it's the Hidden Ability and we've got no idea how to get it, for now. With that ability we can use a different moveset since it denies damage from some popular and/or effective moves against Chestnaught.

First, to make good use of its signature move, here's a build that works around Spiky Shield:

Hammer Time! (??)

Ability: Overgrow
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Def/4 Atk
    Moves:
    -Leech Seed
    -Spiky Shield
    -Hammer Arm
    -Wood Hammer

With this moveset, you can Handle pokémon that are weak or neutral against your attacks without suffering much from recoil or damage taken from the opposing pokémon. First, place Leech Seed, and if it's a physical pokémon, expect a physical attack, so ready your Spiky Shield for the 2nd turn to deal some serious damage without even attacking. If it's a Sp.Atk-based pokémon or a staller, just Hammer it and rotate between Spiky Shields and attacks to slowly recover any damage you may have sustained. After this, act based on what the opponent will do. If you see him sticking to the same facerolling strategy, just rotate between Hammer Arm/Wood Hammer and Spiky Shield, letting Leech Seed restore your health progressively. If the opponent seems to be trying to twist your arm with random or unpredictable moves, just faceroll it with any Hammer move. Fighting and Grass both have great coverage (Steel, Dark, Ice, Rock, Normal, Ground and Water between both types) and are neutral against many other types and type matchups. The only 3 types that would ruin your parade are Poison, Bug and Flying, but in that case, you don't need to stay with Chestnaught, you can switch. Yes, remember it's pokémon TEAM, not a 6-Chestnaught fight. If you face a Poison, Bug or Flying, just switch.

Now, this moveset is based on Pain Split and still uses Hammer Arm for the sole purpose of making Pain Split more efficient and Gyro Ball more painful.

Slow but Threatening

Nature: Adamant
    Item: Muscle Band
    EVs: 252 Sp.Def/252 ATK/4 HP
    Moves:
    -Pain Split
    -Gyro Ball
    -Hammer Arm
    -Seed Bomb

The purpose of this moveset is to make the most out of Pain Split and Gyro Ball. By lowering your own Speed, Gyro Ball will hurt way more (maximum base damage of 150) and you will make sure you move after the other pokémon for better Pain Split results. By not training EVs in its HP, you also make sure you have less HP than the target even if it's at full health, and attacks against Chestnaught will always result in higher Pain Split gains/"damage" dealt in that turn, specially if you're against a pokémon you can't take down with your own STAB moves.

Finally, a moveset that can use Synthesis and works as a "support" for your team.

Stay put, please

Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Speed/4 HP
    Moves:
    -Rock Slide/Rock Tomb
    -Synthesis
    -Low Sweep/Brick Break
    -Needle Arm

It's kinda obvious but I'm still gonna mention this. If you're using Rock Slide, DO NOT use Brick Break; or if you're using Low Sweep, DO NOT use Rock Tomb. Try to combine a Speed-lowering move with a high-damage dealing move. The purpose of this moveset is to outrun any pokémon you face if you focus on maxing Chestnaught's own Speed. This way you don't need to use Low Sweep or Rock Tomb more than twice to let Chestnaught move first in the fight. If your team has enough coverage against Flying, Fire, Ice and Bug types, you can use Rock Tomb to lower the Speed and Needle Arm for flinching. If you're leaving the coverage to Chestnaught, go for Low Sweep and Rock Slide. It's pretty clear what the objective is here. Remember, if Chestnaught is your "support", go with the combo Rock Tomb (good coverage and Speed reduction) and Needle Arm (nice STAB and a chance to flinch), but if you're leaving the damage to him, go for Low Sweep (nice STAB and Speed reduction) and Rock Slide (good coverage and a chance to flinch). This moveset also lets you take it easy on damage sustained because you'll use Synthesis before the opposing pokémon attacks or taunts you, and if you see the other pokémon is achieving nothing, expect a switch and receive the new pokémon with a healthy Synthesis to start the slow-down-and-flinch combo. You'll cripple the enemy team slow and steady, while staying healthy.

Ok. That be it. I hope someone finds these builds helpful, based on the current pokémon layout. Once everyone gets a hold of a Talonflame with Gale Wings, expect to see lots of hawks swarming the competitive environment, but as for now, Flying-type attacks aren't that awesome/popular and there are other more effective, more reliable ways to deal with a Fighting/Grass pokémon. Probably these builds won't be worth a penny in the future, but as for now, I see them working pretty well and Chestnaught seems to be a good bulky pokémon with the option to resist both physical and special attack if trained correctly or if given the right role in your team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast