Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #002

Default Community POTW #002

It's time for the second Gen VI Pokémon of the Week, and this week we're continuing with the starter Pokémon

Delphox is a powerful Pokémon with a decent signature move. It's a decent Special Pokémon

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/655.shtml

Note: So far, I've catalogued the following Egg Moves: Heat Wave, Hypnosis, Magic Coat, Wish

Go nuts

Upgrade Ninetales's Sp.Atk Stat and add Psychic as a Dual-Type, and you've got a basic building block for Delphox. Magician Ability is an interesting gimmick, making it more likely to use a consumable Hold Item like a Berry or Gem. Mystical Fire is...interesting as a signature Move - a Fire-Type Move with Struggle Bug's Effect and Psybeam's Power.

Stats:
    -HP - Slightly-Above Average - Base 75 isn't too bad, considering Ninetales has Base 73.
    -Attack - Below Average - You won't really be using this Base 69 Stat, much like you won't use Ninetales's Base 76.
    -Defense - Below Average - The biggest sticking point for Fire Types. Base 72 is close to Ninetales's Base 75.
    -Sp.Atk - Great-bordering-Godly - Base 114 means Delphox leaves Ninetales in the dust with its Base 81.
    -Sp.Def - Great - Base 100 is really good.
    -Speed - Great (Non-Trick Room) - Base 104 outruns many Pokémon with high Speed.

Abilities:
    -Blaze - Standard fare for a Starter Pokémon. Not the best, but not the worst, especially with Stealth Rock hazards...
    -Magician - Can be used to effectively-neuter an Item-dependent Pokémon, but beware of Toxic Orbs and Black Sludges...
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Delphox@Life Orb/Leftovers
    Timid Nature
    252 SpAtk 252 Spd 4 HP
    Trait: Blaze
    Calm Mind
    Fire Blast
    Psyshock/Psychic
    Shadow Ball/Grass Knot/Hidden Power Fighting

A simple Calm Mind sweeper set.
    Shiny Mega Gardevoir thinks his black dress is totally stylish. Shiny Mega Gallade wishes he looked that good. :P

RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

Sweeper Set
    Nature: Modest/Timid
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Blaze
    EV: 252 Sp Att/252 Speed/4 HP
    Moves:
    Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    Psychic/Psyshock
    Shadow Ball
    Calm Mind

Standard set, sadly the only other options for coverage comes down to solar beam that needs charging and an unpredictable grass knot, solar beam is the only feasible one with sun support. The fire STAB comes down to accuracy. The psychic STAB, psyshock deals physical damage but uses your special attack. Shadow balls coverage and calm mind boost.

I'm quite upset that in Chesnaught's POTW, they said Delphox is good at nothing. I quite like the Fox Pokemon, and I think it could be a pretty decent Sweeper.

Delphox@Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    252 SpA & Spe 4 HP
    - Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    - Psyshock/Psychic
    - Shadow Ball
    - Calm Mind/Grass Knot

The last slot depends on what you want. Calm Mind provides an opportunity to destroy everything after a set up, assuming Delphox can out speed your opponents. Grass Knot hits Water/Rock/Ground Types pretty hard. Fire Blast is optional, I wouldn't use it though. I prefer Accuracy over Power, but if you want to you could switch it with Flamethrower. Psyshock or Psychic, your choice. Shadow Ball is there for coverage.

I could see Delphox in UU, mostly because I think lots of Fairies will be there. Delphox can come in, take a Special Fairy Attack, and hit hard right back at them.
    Last edited by Navarch; 3rd November 2013 at 3:32 PM.

Delphox's main issue is its movepool: no Thunderbolt, Energy Ball and Focus Miss/Aura Sphere makes it predictable. That said, personally it's stats are great on the special side of things, boasting 114 Special Attack and a neat 104 Speed allows it it outpace all non scarfed base 100 Speed mons and it can make a good Calm Mind sweeper with what it has. I don't see it in OU but most likely in UU-RU personally.

Delphox is a good offensive mon, but unlike greninja, it doesnt have a ton of options

What Does Delphox Say? Choice Scarf
    Modest/Timid
    Blaze
    252 Spd/SpA 4 HP/SpD
    -Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Grass Knot
    -Switcheroo*/Shadow Ball/Wish/Hidden Power Fighting/Ice (if its still even viable lol)

Trust me here, grass knot is amazing with t-tar, storm, and greninja existing and thriving (unless greninja is scarfed too...)
    Being scarfed allows you to check megas like gengar and lucario.
    Sadly, priority ruins this set. Talonflame, E-speed, and aqua jet all doom this fox

*Thanks to Oceanic Lanturn for pointing this out!*
    Last edited by ajgrocks100; 3rd November 2013 at 4:53 PM. Reason: Saw Wish and Switcharoo
    3DS: 0387-9436-2508: Friend Safari has Magmar, Ninetails, and Charmelon!
    PM meh. btw.

( I claim the master of all Grass Warriors )
    Breloom

Legit, non-eventShinys as of Diamond and Pearl:
    and now skrelp!

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Fire Blast / Flamethrower
    - Psyshock / Psychic
    - Shadow Ball / Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Switcheroo

There really isn't much going on for Delphox. Its movepool is pretty small. First two slots STABs: One consistency/accuracy the other physical/special. So decide! Third slot is really much just other stuff: Shadow Ball to hit... ghost types that don't straight out kill you? Yes, that. HP Ice hits dragons while HP Grass hits water/rock/ground whichever. Trick a Scarf at annoying stuff (actually switcheroo but close enough) to cripple them.

---

Delphox @ Leftovers
    Trait: Blaze / Magician
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
    Calm Nature
    - Will-o-Wisp
    - Mystical Fire / Flamethrower / Fire Blast
    - Wish
    - Protect / Psyshock / Toxic

Support version. This set tops up its already good special defense... while using Will-o-Wisp to burn some mons. Second move is STAB. Mystical Fire is cute in a sense that -1 SAtk... yay. More walling. Flamethrower does more damage and Fire Blast is just BURRRRRN. Wish is recovery. Last slot goes to other stuff. Protect to stall. Psyshock for secondary STAB. Toxic for other mons? I'm not sure.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Another 6th Gen of the Week! Still don’t have X and Y…

Typing: Fire-Psychic is a relatively rare typing, only shared by Zen-Mode Darmanitan and Victini. This typing is somewhat defensive, allowing resistance to 7 different types, including common Ice and Fighting type moves, giving Delphox some chance to switch in. Unlike Chesnaught however, it possesses fewer weaknesses than resistances, capping out at only 5. What sucks about those 5 weaknesses is that they are very common attacking types such as Water and Ground. A Stealth Rock weakness does nothing any favors in trying to stick around.
    Offensively, Fire-Psychic is decent, having no shared resistances among monotype pokemon. There are numerous pokemon that wall Fire-Psychic, including one that is outright immune to its stabs, despite the otherwise impressive neutral coverage.
    While this does nothing to increase Delphox’s viability, THANK ARCEUS WE DID NOT GET ANOTHER FIRE-FIGHTING starter!

Stats: Delphox will pale in comparison to Victini, so let’s save it that humiliation. Delphox’s base stats are arranged similarly to those of Roserade, Mismagius and Volcarona, where the pokemon possesses average HP, poor physical stats, but an emphasis on the Specials and Speed. Delphox is a mixed bag in comparing to its peers. On one hand, it has the best relative DEF, and comes in second regarding HP and SPD, but has the second poorest SATK and poorest SDEF of the pokemon listed. Not that 114 SATK is a bad thing, but it could be higher. Base 104 Speed is fantastic, allowing Delphox to outspeed many threats. And while its defense was the best of the pokemon listed, base 72 is barely average and with a weakness to Rock, Ground and Dark attacks, this does Delphox no favors. Overall, its stats hold the potential for success.

Moves: This is where the Garbodor hits the Fan Rotom. Delphox suffers from Fire type move syndrome, where it has a poor movepool outside of its STABs. Delphox’s viable special attacking movepool consists of Fire STABs, Psychic STABs, Shadow Ball, and Grass Knot. Grass Knot is situational in covering water types and Shadow is only good for opposing Psychic types. Calm Mind does have good synergy with Delphox, capitalizing on its best stats. Delphox’s support movepool is decent. Sunny Day, Substitute, Toxic, Switcheroo, Wish, Hypnosis and Light Screen {no Reflect?} are all good. Will-o-Wisp is the standout support move, patching up Delphox’s par defense. Overall, having no moves to cover Dark types severely hurts Delphox.
    Ability: Delphox receives the booby prize when it comes to alternate abilities among the starters. An added thief effect is highly situational at best and requires Delphox to have no hold item. Blaze is the more viable option, being superior in offense to Overgrow, and synergizes well with Delphox’s speed. The only problem is having Delphox surviving down to that HP range.

The Verdict: This magician has few tricks and is afraid of the dark but be careful or it will be you burning instead. While Delphox has a few things going for it, but its shortcomings are as glaring as a poorly executed magic trick.
    Last edited by Mestorn; 4th November 2013 at 1:23 AM.
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

Mestorn Says "The Verdict: Ask for a refund; this magician has few tricks and is afraid of the dark. While Delphox has a few things going for it, its shortcomings make it arguably the worst of the 6th gen starters."

I disagree: while it has few tricks for higher tiers, in UU it could thrive with some help from Grass Knot, Hidden Power Ice, and Shadow Ball, all of which tackle strong UU threats.
    3DS: 0387-9436-2508: Friend Safari has Magmar, Ninetails, and Charmelon!
    PM meh. btw.

( I claim the master of all Grass Warriors )
    Breloom

Legit, non-eventShinys as of Diamond and Pearl:
    and now skrelp!

Defensive FireFox
    Nature:Calm
    Item: Leftovers
    Moves:
    -Mystical Fire
    -Will-O-Wisp
    -Substitute
    -Psychic
    EV's: 252 HP/80 Sp. Att/ 176 Sp. Def

This is a somewhat gimmicky set, but usable. Sub, then W-O-W and just spam mystical fire to lower stats and force a switch or out stall to kill. The EV spread makes it able to survive more attacks, and still do damage. Psychic is for coverage.
    Lugia is amazing!

I am not impressed.
    I am not saying Delphox is bad. Problem is is that Delphox is not spectacular. I personally don't see much potential in it.

Choice set
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 sp attack and speed, 4 hp
    @: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Fire Blast
    Psyshock/Psychic
    Grass Knot/Switcheroo
    Shadow Ball/Switcheroo

The lack of Focus Blast just plain sucks. Houndoom can completely wall this because of the lack Focus Blast. Otherwise, I guess this can be effective.

Support Platform
    Nature: Brave
    EVs: 252 defense, 156 special defense, 100 hp
    @: Leftovers

Will-o-Wisp
    Hypnosis
    Wish
    Mystical Fire/Overheat

Sure, Mystical Fire can cause switches, but that will only help with the help of Spikes and Stealth Rock. Even then, there are better ways of making it happen (Dragon Tail and Roar).

Other options:
    VICTINI. That's all you need to know. Of course, that comes after PokeBank.
    I claim Buizel.

I think there could be a niche in absolutely screwing around with your opponent via Magician. With two good moves to limit damage output and the ability to steal items, I could see it really acting as a wrench in its opponent's plans. Rarely do I see a Weavile or Shiftry actually use its Thief ability. With not many other great options, Delphox could settle in as a reasonable user of Magician. Not that this has many uses, but I think everyone expects Delphox to do a limited sweeping so having the curveball in your arsenal provides some nice options.

Reynard
    Item: None (Of course, this is the absolute scariest thing I can think of here)
    Ability: Magician
    Mystical Fire
    Psyshock
    Will-O-Wisp
    Toxic/Wish/Shadow Ball
    EV (I don't know if these are correct...I don't do intensive calculations): 252 Spd, 252 HP, 6 Sp Atk.

Ideally, you want to jump in when there's a special sweeper with one of many resistance attacks and blast it with a damage move to neuter its strong damage sets. Mystical Fire will harm the Special Sweepers and deny their items while Will-O-Wisp will nullify some physical damage. I think this could take care of some sweepers who need time to set up. By using Psychock, you should be able to find a weak defence to hit.

If they are going to make a switch and you can see it coming, pull a utility attack and get out. Or just use it for a third attack slot.

In the tier I'm expecting it to come in at (UU), you'll likely see some tanks who will be hurt due to lack of Leftovers (stripped off via Delphox) and lack of real recovery abilities. Some special sweepers could be stopped in their tracks.

Gimmicky? Yes. Intriguing prospect? I'd also say yes.
    Last edited by kirant; 3rd November 2013 at 8:47 PM.

What's with all the "Just use Victini" here? Mystic Fire, Calm Mind, and 104 Base speed add a world of difference to them. Delphox has more in common with Volcarona than Victini.
    Who would win in a fight, Missingno or Diamond and Pearl's incredibly slow abomination of a game Engine?

What does the Delphox say?

It says that Delphox is not useless (your Chesnaught post).

Flame Charge/Calm Mind
    Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    Psyshock
    Calm Mind/Shadow Ball/Solarbeam

Item: Focus Sash
    Nature: Mild
    EVs: 252 SpAtk, 252 Speed, 4 Atk

Yeah Delphox isn't useless. Delphox works with a decent type coverage, beating some newly-overused Poison Types because of their Fairy advantage while also resisting said Fairy types. Flame Charge works with Focus Sash to give you a speed boost when you survive the oncoming attack. Of course, if you are faster already, it isn't needed so if you are not dependent on speed, you can use Calm Mind to raise your special stats. Flamethrower is your typical fire attack but because of its nerf this generation, you might want to use Fire Blast for extra power. Psyshock is to hit the physical side of Pokemon. The last move depends of what you need/have. Calm Mind can be used if you have another turn with your Focus Sash while still having Flame Charge. Shadow Ball gives you coverage against some Psychics and Ghosts who have you in a corner. If you are running a sun team, then Solarbeam will be useful. Also, when your Focus Sash is used, Magician allows you to steal the opponents item, as long as it isn't a harming item against you.

Delphox has stats that are decent for two different roles, but not incredible enough for either, especially with its weaker movepool. Its signature move benefits its defensive role as a special wall, generally forcing a switch-out to foes with no physical attack. -1 isn't too big of a drop, but to a set that can't buff itself back up through calm mind or nasty plot, it will generally cause enough weakening to force a switch.

That said, the moves the fox CAN learn are... not horrible, but not varied. You have your standard fire special stabs competing against mystic fire, you have solarbeam or grass knot depending on if you're in sun, you have psyshock or psychic for secondary STAB, and you have calm mind for buff or shadow ball for extra type coverage.

Overall: Not a bad pokemon, but suffers from the problem most starters do: it does everything kind of well, instead of one thing really well.

A possible moveset for a special wall / counter-sweep

Life Orb/Leftovers/Sitrus berry (use magician with the berry or with no item)
    -Mystic Fire
    -Calm Mind
    -Psyshock
    -Grass Knot / Hidden Power

Switch into a resisted special-based attack, cripple their SpA with mystic fire, then calm mind during the switch to set up for some damage. Hidden power for type coverage, based on what your team is lacking.

Counters: Something with good special bulk and physical damage, preferably that resists fire and/or psychic. Marill can switch in, take a hit, and force it out with waterfall.

I think a assault vest set could be worth a mention. With Delphox's typing, good speed, high special attack and it's high special defense it can be a good switch in for dealing with special attackers and some walls, while being able to take some hits and deal some back.

Item: Assault Vest

Mystic Fire/Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    Psyshock
    Grass Knot/Shadow Ball
    Future Sight/shadow ball/Grass Knot/

Nature: Modest
    EVs: SPatk 252, HP 252, SPdef 4

Since the assault vest applies a permanent taunt you can work around that a little and get Delphox to lower your opponent's spatk to compliment your enhanced special defense, Flamethrower or Fire blast can be also used if extra power is required. Psyshock is also used as a stab and to get around walls that also depend on purely SPdef, Grass knot and shadow ball can be used to help give you more coverage. Future sight might be a bit gimmicky but it could be included in a moveset due to it's 120BP and doing neutral damage, it can be very frightening to be hit by this move and being attacked at the same time. Future sight could also help with bypassing subs and can also not be blocked by protect or detect. No matter what the opponent does, he/she is going to take a hit.

Other than the already stated counters from the other posts, this set will also need to be weary of pokemon capable of removing your assault vest which will end up ruining your bulk and can leave you in a lot of trouble. The assault vest stops you from using non attacking moves as mentioned, which means you won't be able to boost your offensives or bulk further unless you can get delphox backed up with support to do so.
    Last edited by Knight Owl; 4th November 2013 at 12:25 AM.
    Drop me a PM if you want to trade, battle or have a nice friendly chat.

Friend Code: 1435-4378-9935 Friend Safari: Dark with Caturne, Pawniard, Sableye.

Game: Pokemon Y

Currently looking for: None at this current time.

Overview:
    Delphox is a bit of an oddity, though it is certainly not a bad Pokemon by any means. What Delphox really has going for it are base 114 and 104 Sp. Attack and Speed, which is combined with a pretty powerful Fire/Psychic typing. It even has a decent base 75 HP with a base 100 Sp. Defense, which can make for a good special sponge. It also has some fun support moves to aid in being a more defensive role. On top of that, its typing does give it 7 resistances, including some important ones like Fighting and Ice.

However, there are some big things that cause Delphox to have problems. The first is a lack of reliable coverage to Dark. Not having Focus Blast is a huge problem for Delphox, as it misses a lot of important coverage. The second is that base 69 and 72 Attack and Defense don't help Delphox with either actual Dark-coverage (Power-Up Punch) or being a good overall tank. Thirdly, It does have 5 weaknesses, two of which are the too common Water and Ground-types. Finally, its abilities don't help a lot, though Blaze can always help in a tight spot. Basically, Delphox has a lot of power and good offensive and defensive qualities, but lack of good coverage and a low Defense stat hinders Delphox from achieving great success in either role.

Abilities:
    Blaze: Increases the power of Delphox's Fire-type moves by 1.5 times. A decent ability, and a lot more handy in general than it's other ability.
    Magician: If Delphox is not holding an Item, it will steal the opposing Pokemon's Hold Item when Delphox attacks. This is more of a gimmicky ability. Do note that for this ability to work well, you need to either not have an Item yourself or use a consumable Item. The first is usually a poor choice, and the second is questionable depending on which Item is in question. Not a bad one, but Blaze is much more reliable.

Movesets:

A very choosy fox:
    -Fire Blast/Overheat/Flamethrower
    -Psychic/Psyshock
    -Grass Knot/Hidden Power [Fighting]/Switcheroo
    -Grass Knot/Hidden Power [Fighting]/Switcheroo
    Item: Choice Scarf/ Choice Specs
    Nature: Modest (+Sp. Attack, -Attack)/Timid (+Speed, -Attack)
    EVs: 4 Defense, 252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed

This set makes use of Delphox's high offensive stats by boosting either its Speed or Sp. Attack even further. The first move gets same-type-attack-bonus (STAB), and any choice hits pretty hard. Fire Blast has high power with mostly good accuracy, Overheat is the most powerful but drops Delphox's Sp. Attack by 2 stages (which means you would likely switch out after attacking), and Flamethrower is the weakest but has the highest accuracy and PP. The choice between Psychic and Psyshock comes down to hitting harder or sacrificing a bit of power to target the opponent's Defense stat, which would make Delphox more of a mixed sweeper.

The final two moves will be based on a more sweeping or a more support Delphox. Grass Knot covers Water, Rock, and Ground-types (which Delphox is weak to), Hidden Power [Fighting], while weak, is the only good Dark coverage Delphox has, and Switcheroo trades Delphox's and the target's Hold Item, which can cause problems for defensive Pokemon who get a Choice item.

The nature and EVs depend on which Choice item Delphox has. While any combination can be used, I prefer to give Delphox the nature that boosts the stat that the Choice item doesn't boost to balance Delphox out. Either way is fine, though, and the EVs should maximize Sp. Attack and Speed with the leftovers going to Defense, as putting them in HP would make Delphox have an HP stat divisible by 4 and make Stealth Rock worse for Delphox.

Cheerleader Fox
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Wish
    -Protect/Substitute
    -Flamethrower
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Calm (+Sp. Defense, -Attack)
    EVs: 252 HP, 4 Defense, 252 Sp. Defense

This set turns Delphox into a support character by using it's great Sp. Defense stat. Will-o-Wisp inflicts "Burn" status on the target, which not only does damage overtime, but also cuts their Attack stat in half and thus helps Delphox take physical attacks. Wish is a delayed healing move that even a teammate can utilize to restore up to one-half of Delphox's maximum HP, which is great for anyone on the team. Protect can stall for Wish to go off and to rack up Burn damage, but Substitute is a great barrier for Delphox by blocking status. Flamethrower is there to keep Delphox from being Taunt bait by having an actual attacking move.

The nature and EVs maximize Delphox's special bulk, and Leftovers offer free HP-recovery. Alternatively, you could run a more balanced wall by running a Bold nature (+Defense, -Attack) and put the EVs for Sp. Defense into Defense. However, Will-o-Wisp makes up for this somewhat and lets Delphox use that great Sp. Defense.

Other Options:
    -Shadow Ball has pretty good neutral coverage, but it is really only useful against opposing Psychic-types.
    -Other Hidden Power types like Ice and Ground. However, these have their own issues as well. Plus, base 60 power is a bit lacking, even when super-effective.
    -Hypnosis can be a good way to stop an opponent's Pokemon temporarily (I don't know what the sleep mechanics are for this gen). However, Will-o-Wisp is usually better, plus I don't know the legality of Hypnosis with Wish at this point.
    -Mystical Fire is guaranteed to lower the opponent's Sp. Attack stat by one stage, but it only has 65 power. This can be good on the support set, but otherwise is relatively useless.
    -Calm Mind could be used to boost Delphox's special stats by one stage each, but coverage is more of what Delphox needs. Plus, the immediate stat boost of a Choice item is a bit more helpful for a Pokemon that is kind of squishy.

Checks and Counters:
    If Delphox does not have Hidden Power Fighting or Ground, Flash Fire Houndoom is the perfect counter. Immune to both STABs, resistant to all other coverage moves, and the ability to either Pursuit-trap Delphox or just set up Nasty Plot and sweep later, Houndoom shuts down Delphox so bad. Certain physical priority moves, especially an STAB Aqua Jet, can do a ton of damage to Delphox. Another thing that works are special walls, but only if Delphox is not running Psyshock. Entry hazards are also a big problem for Delphox, since it is vulnerable to all of them, especially Stealth Rock. Finally, Toxic Poison and Paralysis make it much more difficult for Delphox to accomplish anything.

Overall View:
    Delphox is by no means a bad Pokemon, seeing how it has good special stats and a good Speed stat and some fun moves to play with. Ultimately, however, its movepool in both the coverage and support department make it so Delphox will have difficulty in either role.
    Let's face it: ferret-esque Pokemon are the most epic Pokemon ever (to me)!!!!!! Why can't Nintendo make ones that AREN'T NU Pokemon?!? One of these guys in standard would make me quite happy.

Started by jesusfreak94:
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9186-8386 Pokemon Found: Mienfoo, Throw, Breloom

Quote Originally Posted by ajgrocks100 View Post
    Mestorn Says "The Verdict: Ask for a refund; this magician has few tricks and is afraid of the dark. While Delphox has a few things going for it, its shortcomings make it arguably the worst of the 6th gen starters."

I disagree: while it has few tricks for higher tiers, in UU it could thrive with some help from Grass Knot, Hidden Power Ice, and Shadow Ball, all of which tackle strong UU threats.
    Thanks. Upon further reflection I realize I was a bit harsh on Delphox. I didn't mention Hidden Power due to its unreliability outside of emulators. That and it doesn't change the fact that Umbreon stops Delphox cold. That and its signature move mystical fire + will-o-wisp can make Delphox surprisingly bulky and extremely annoying. That and it does have the strength to muscle through squishier Darks. I have updated my verdict
    I was once routed by a Gengar who critted 4 times in a row on my team. Morale of the story; Crits happen and Sucker Punch is good Gengar repellent.

FC: 5043-1767-3387
    In-game Name: Xeran

1) Let us not forget that it has a unique ability called magician. I can see it being useful (under certain circumstances.) Maybe not enough to make it good, but it could help in certain given situations.

2) If you can work with it, Dephlox has a whopping 7 resistances, which makes it a viable all-around special wall that is not too lacking in the SpAtk stat, either.

3) It has a movepool that has almost nothing besides fire and psychic attacks, which hurts. Lots.

So.... Good pokemon, decent stats, small move pool=meh

AT LEAST WE DIDN'T END UP WITH ANOTHER FIRE/FIGHTING! GOOD LORD!
    Last edited by ViperByte; 4th November 2013 at 1:57 AM.

Scarf Set
    Timid Nature
    Choice Scarf Item
    Moves:
    Fire Blast
    Shadow Ball
    Psyshock
    Grass Knot
    EV: 252 Spa 252 Spe 4 Hp
    Good pokemon to make a scarf gets water and ground fooled but the rest is pretty standard.

I absolutely adore Delphox, and she honestly is not that bad. Base 114 Special Attack is nothing to mess with, and a trolly base 104 Speed is pretty good in Pre-Bank OU. A unique ability in Magician lets it mess with a ton of teams. Unfortunately, Magician activates before Gems, so it isn't that effective with a Gem. Still, I can see this kind of set doing well.

Delphox @ Fire Gem
    Trait: Magician
    Timid Nature
    (EVs depend on how the metagame pans out, but most likely max HP, enough Speed to outspeed key threats, and the rest in Special Attack)
    - Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Mystical Fire
    - Calm Mind
    - Psychic/Psyshock
    - Switcheroo

Fire STAB combined with Fire Gem deals a butt-ton of damage to anything that doesn't resist it or is an obese pink thing. Calm Mind boosts its already good Special Attack and its above-average Special Defense. Psychic STAB can do a good amount of damage to stuff that resists the Fire STAB, and Switcheroo lets our fox friend pawn off an item it steals onto something that would miss it.

What really sets this apart from other CM sweepers is Magician. After Magician, it can take a scarfer's Choice Scarf or Lefties from a wall and pawn it off on something else with Switcheroo, then take another item away. Combined with its base 104 Speed, it can completely screw with the items of your opponent's team and prevent them from doing their job effectively.
    http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=35776

i'm pretty sure i just found the most hilarious pogeymanz are satan discussion ever

I don't know why Delphox is getting all this hate when it's really pretty decent. Also, why on Arceus's green Earth does the Chespin in the PoW have a Timid nature and PHYSICAL attacks?

Here's a Delphox set:

Delphox@Leftovers
    Magician/Blaze
    Timid
    252 Spd/ 252HP/ 4Def
    Will O Wisp
    Calm Mind
    Flamethrower/ Fire Blast
    Psyshock

Burn the opponent, Calm Mind, and sweep, or just spread burn. This set runs Magician so that if your item disappears through Knock Off, you can just steal something else if you survive. Blaze can work too if you aren't worried about losing an item and want to be able to smack the opponent with a high powered STAB and Blaze boosted fire move when your health gets low. Psyshock prevents you from being special walled and hits things hard as a second STAB. Heatran completely laughs at this set, but that's why you have a team of six Pokemon, so you take care of Heatran first. This set appreciates Rapid Spin support and Dual Screens (Especially Reflect) so Klefki can make a nice partner to set up some screens for you. It's too bad there's not enough room for Wish because this set would love it. Priority can also be a huge pain.

I Can Make All Your Wishes Come True
    Delphox@ Leftovers
    Magician
    Timid
    252 Spd/252HP/4Def
    Wish
    Will O Wisp
    Substitute
    Fire Blast/Psychic

This set focuses on support by spreading burns and giving small wishes to help lighten the hit of incoming blows on the switch or help with hazard damage, I think this set is best used as a way to help bring in a setup sweeper. If you get a free switch in (maybe on the opponent's Will O Wisp or switch), you can burn the opponent, Wish, and switch to something more appropriate. This will make whatever move the incoming Pokemon takes, less painful. Substitute helps nab free switches or burns on a right predict, and can help by burning Aegislash. Fire Blast helps against steels like Ferro and prevents you from being Taunt bait. Again, Heatran laughs at this set for the most part, but you may be able to set up a Sub on a mis-predict and pass a Wish.

I think Delphox is very underestimated and very decent. It could function in OU, but will likely end up in UU. I think it could work well as a Poison killer and its bulky and quick enough to set up maybe one Calm Mind or two and can spread Burn fairly well. I feel like its main problem is its Hidden Ability, if it had gotten something more useful like Greninja's Protean or Chestnaught's Bulletproof, I think people would be singing a different tune about the magical fox wizard. Its movepool is also a little shallow, but I think that it has just the right tools for what it does (Although getting a special fighting/fairy move would be what it needs most).

I see Delphox being compared to Victini, but it's not Victini, it has 14 more points in Sp. Attack, 4 more points in Speed and access to Calm Mind. These things separate it from Victini, Victini cannot be a Calm Mind set up sweeper, and should primarily focus on Physical moves since it's way better at that anyway with its way better Physical movepool. Victini and Delphox shouldn't be compared since it's hard to do so.
    If you like this, see this and much more at...

http://superartninja.deviantart.com/# - Deviant Art Profile

Special Fox
    Delphox
    Item: Life Orb/ Focus Sash
    Ability: Blaze/ Magician
    EVs: 252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
    Moveset
    Fire Blast/ Flamethrower
    Psychic/ Psyshock
    Shadow Ball
    Calm Mind

Delphox is not bad in stats, its Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed are quite high. I would go for either Life Orb or Focus Sash for item, Life Orb to increases its attack and Focus Sash to ensure it will get at least 1 Calm Mind as a Physical Dark Type move like Crunch can easily OHKO it. I would defiantly go for Timid Nature with this moveset as its Special Attack and Special Defenses will be increase with Calm Mind. Fire Blast and Psychic would be use for STAB and Shadow Ball for coverages.

Scarf Fox
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
    Moveset:
    Fire Blast/ Flamethrower
    Psychic/ Psyshock
    Shadow Ball
    Hidden Power Fighting/ Grass Knot
    This Delphox is used to out speed most Pokemon thanks to Choice Scarf. The first 3 moves is the same as the first Delphox, but the fourth move must be a coverage attacking move. Use Modest Nature for this moveset as its speed is already high with Choice Scarf.

Delpox, with its far above average speed, and great special attack, could end up being a very nice RU/UU Pokemon. Even if it has no way to hit dark types, other then hidden powers (which recieved a nerf as to always having 60 power now), once bulky dark types are removed, it can become a great pokemon. Dark types generally are lacking in the defensive catagory, which means after a calm mind boost, or with an item, a stab fire blast could easily take care of one. The main bulky dark type, Umbreon, can easily be crippled by Delphox's ability of Magician, to steal its leftovers. Magician alone, being a unique ability that allows to deal damage and remove items (knock off is weak), will give it a niche as crippling certain item reliant pokemon, and could have a huge effect in scaring away many threats. However its low physical defense, and weakness to 3 common physical types in ground, rock and dark, limit its long term survival. It also lacks reliable recovery, outside of a wish protect combo, but that limits its movepool greatly. It also lacks coverage moves of many times, which will make it predictable

Delphox may have a great ability, but to use it, it cant be carrying an item at the time. As a result, the way you use Delphox will be dependent on what item you steal with it, and since items are generally predictable, you can often decide your use for the fox at the start of a battle. Choice items, life orbs, or expert belts would be an option under blaze, but with that it loses its niche (but can still help scare your opponent if they do not realize you arent running magician)

Dumbledore Gone Furry (I'm drawing a blank, but better Harry Potter based puns would be very helpful here for build names)
    Item: None
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EV Spread: 252 SAtk, 252 Speed, 4 HP

Fire Blast, Flamethrower, Heatwave
    Psychic, Psyshock
    Hidden Power Bug/Hidden Power Fighting
    Will O Wisp/Grass Knot/Shadow Ball

I'd recommend fire blast over flamethrower, as delphox's main stab for highest damage. Flamethrower is great too, for its highest accuarcy. Heatwave isn't recommended since its drop in power leaves it only slightly above flamethrower, but with less accuracy, but for double/triple battles it should be used.
    Since Delphox has horrid attack, Psyshock can be over psychic to allow it to get a hit on special walls, but psychic will be more powerful, and will give a strong satck neutral coverage of rock and ground types, which generally lack special bulk
    I recommend hidden power bug over fighting, as a dark counter, because it also will allow delphox to get an edge on its fellow psychic types without having to use shadow ball. But hidden power fighting allows it to have a strong counter to rock types. However, since rock types often lack special defense
    Will-O-Wisp is recommended as the last slot, for its crippling factor to physical pokemon which may have been planning to take a hit and OHKO in return. its accuracy may be imperfect, but burning any physical pokemon will ruin its day, and probably make it a nonfactor in the battle. Grass knot may be used for coverage, but only real gain it will give is against water types, but with the prevalence of bulky sdef water types, especially in the mid tiers delphox will inhabit, its better to just switch the fox out, because even with grass knot it probably wont OHKO those threats. Shadow ball can be used as a counter against enemy ghosts and other psychics, but since most ghost types generally lack bulk, just hitting them hard with neutral damage can kill them often, as Delphox can easily take other special attacks.

Hypnosis, calm mind, wish, and substitute are other options
    Hypnosis is nice, but unreliable accuarcy is a killer, will-o-wisp will be the better status to hold
    Calm Mind can turn delphox into a deadly sweeper, but physical attacks can still kill the fox, and it would require losing an important stab/coverage, with delphox already meager coverage pool.
    Wish is its only healing, but will result in losing an important moveslot
    Substitute is nice, but same issue as others, moveslot

Countering delphox isnt hard. Once it has stolen an item, it becomes a smaller threat, and since it cant be scarfed itself, you can easily kill it with any scarfed pokemon with super effective physical attacks, or just faster pokemon in general. Aerodactyl, Dugtrio, Gengar, Terrakion can easily make short work of it. and many since many fastest physical pokemon can have stone edge/rock slide/earth quake, its horrible defense is easy to prey on. its stealth rock weakness just adds onto its list of troubles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast