Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community POTW #002

The area where Delphox really shines is its Speed and Special Attack. It doesn't have a very good movepool, though, so most opponents will be able to predict what you're going to do. I noticed that Delphox gets Future Sight, and while the move isn't used that often I think Delphox has the potential to pull it off.

Delphox w/ Leftovers/Life Orb
    Blaze
    Timid
    252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
    ~Substitute
    ~HP Fighting/Calm Mind
    ~Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    ~Future Sight

The goal here is to scare your opponents into switching into something that resists Future Sight, and then hitting it with Grass Knot or a STAB fire move. Send Delphox in on something like Forretress and use Substitute. When Forretress switches, use Future Sight. If you're running Calm Mind, use that before your Sub is destroyed. I would rather run HP Fighting, however, because the chances of Tyranitar being sent in to counter Delphox is pretty high. If you're running Fighting, use whichever move will deal the most damage before your Sub gets destroyed. Now your opponent has two options: Keep their Pokemon in, which hopefully took a big hit from your Delphox, and get KO'd by Future Sight, or switch and let something that resists Future Sight switch in. Depending on what they have on their team, use Flamethrower/Fire Blast (less power or more reliability), or Fighting/Calm Mind again, depending on which one you're running. Calm Mind will possibly give you some big boosts, while Fighting gives more coverage. As for items, Leftovers or Life Orb work equally well here. I personally would use Leftovers to give myself more staying power, to possibly run another Substitute if I had the opportunity, but Life Orb gives more power, plus it's unlikely that your Delphox will stay in the game long anyways. If you're running Calm Mind almost definitely use Leftovers, since you won't get much sweeping opportunity with your low Defenses. Partners for this set would be anything that benefits from a potential wall being severely weakened. Gimmicky sweepers like Scolipede would love to have the likes of Tyranitar and Gliscor KO'd or weakened.

Delphox also has pretty good Speed, and can make a decent Choice Specs sweeper.

Delphox w/ Choice Specs
    Blaze
    Timid
    4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed
    ~Psyshock/Psychic
    ~Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    ~Shadow Ball
    ~Solarbeam/Grass Knot

The goal of this set is simple. Use Psyshock to deal with annoying Pokemon like Chansey or Blissey that would otherwise wall Delphox. Flamethrower gives more accuracy while Fire Blast gives far more power. Shadow Ball rounds out the coverage, allowing you to hit Jellicent and Reunicleus hard. Solarbeam and Grass Knot depends on whether you're using Mega Charizard Y and/or Ninetails for Sun. Use Solarbeam if you've got Drought, but otherwise use Grass Knot. Partners for this set would be Ninetails/Mega Charizard Y, something to give you a powerful Solarbeam, a Pokemon with decent priority to clean up Mega Alakazam/Mega Gengar, like Talonflame, and walls that can resist things that would otherwise ruin Delphox's day. Avalugg, Chensaught, and Skarmory all provide good defense and resist/can withstand most of the attacks that would be directed at Delphox, like Aqua Jet, Earthquake, and ExtremeSpeed.

All in all I don't think Delphox will see much usage in standard play, but due to its typing and possible coverage, it shouldn't be ruled out. Base 104 Speed and base 114 Special Attack are stats that shouldn't be overlooked.
    Last edited by PrincessAbsol; 5th November 2013 at 8:26 PM.

I felt the strongest urge after reading the Chesnaught PotW to shove a porcupine up the a** of someone for the Delphox comment in it. However, in order to have my post provide any sort of constructive dialogue, I'll ask how the timing of Magician works when Delphox is equipped with a consumable item like a gem, in case it might be worth noting in the final write-up.

How a about a gimmicky burglar Pokemon?

Master of Thieves
    Delphox @ No Item
    Ability: Magician
    Nature: Timid/Modest

Switcheroo
    Embargo/Magic Room
    Flamethrower
    Psychic

No real use, just a novelty I suppose

3DS FC: 3480 3588 2591

Visit my Trade Shop!

ALL HAIL TOXIC ORB GLISCOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Xer-arrowtotheknee-us View Post
    How a about a gimmicky burglar Pokemon?

Master of Thieves
    Delphox @ No Item
    Ability: Magician
    Nature: Timid/Modest

Switcheroo
    Embargo/Magic Room
    Flamethrower
    Psychic

No real use, just a novelty I suppose
    It is a bit gimmicky. Also the second slot could have Will-o-Wisp as well, couldn't it?
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...8#post15775448 I'm back guys. Kind of. I won't be really active and sorry for any inconvenience I've caused!
        Spoiler:- B2W2:

Help the eggs!

Serebii War Fiction Story

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessAbsol View Post
    Delphox w/ Leftovers/Life Orb
    Blaze
    Timid
    252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
    ~Substitute
    ~Grass Knot/Calm Mind
    ~Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    ~Future Sight

The goal here is to scare your opponents into switching into something that resists Future Sight, and then hitting it with Grass Knot or a STAB fire move. Send Delphox in on something like Forretress and use Substitute. When Forretress switches, use Future Sight. If you're running Calm Mind, use that before your Sub is destroyed. I would rather run Grass Knot, however, because the chances of Tyranitar being sent in to counter Delphox is pretty high. If you're running Grass Knot, use whichever move will deal the most damage before your Sub gets destroyed. Now your opponent has two options: Keep their Pokemon in, which hopefully took a big hit from your Delphox, and get KO'd by Future Sight, or switch and let something that resists Future Sight switch in. Depending on what they have on their team, use Flamethrower/Fire Blast (less power or more reliability), or Grass Knot/Calm Mind again, depending on which one you're running. Calm Mind will possibly give you some big boosts, while Grass Knot gives more coverage. As for items, Leftovers or Life Orb work equally well here. I personally would use Leftovers to give myself more staying power, to possibly run another Substitute if I had the opportunity, but Life Orb gives more power, plus it's unlikely that your Delphox will stay in the game long anyways. If you're running Calm Mind almost definitely use Leftovers, since you won't get much sweeping opportunity with your low Defenses. Partners for this set would be anything that benefits from a potential wall being severely weakened. Fighting types like Blaziken and Lucario that struggle to get through Jellicent would love it if you could hit one with a Grass Knot.
    (sorry for big quote) One thing I would change is grass knot. While it works agains waters like Jellicent, how many times have you even seen that thing used as of gen 6 :P. Hidden Power Fighting seems to be a better option, as T-tar seems to be a primary threat. BTW mega t-tar isnt even 2HKOD by grass knot, and with pokemon houndoom walling this set to shreads, HP fighting gives this Delphox a trick up its sleeve.
    3DS: 0387-9436-2508: Friend Safari has Magmar, Ninetails, and Charmelon!
    PM meh. btw.

( I claim the master of all Grass Warriors )
    Breloom

Legit, non-eventShinys as of Diamond and Pearl:
    and now skrelp!

Delphox Calm Mind sweeper
    Item: Leftovers
    Nature: Bold
    Abillity: Blaze
    Ev's: 252 HP 252 Def 4 Sp.attack
    - Calm Mind
    - Mystical Fire
    - Psyhock
    - Wish

with a +74 defence, it will still reach an nice amount of defence and with calm mind you can set an quite dangerous set on the field
    Psychock + Mystical Fire creates an nice combination between Mixed attack and Stalling, since your going for Bold the Sp.attack drop is much appreciated for Delphox.

Delphox ANTI-ITEM
    Item: Choice Scarf
    Nature: Modest
    Abillity: Magician
    Ev's: 252 Sp.attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP.
    - Magic Room
    - Calm mind
    - Flamethrower
    - Psychock

Delphox's hidden abillty and movepool just screems that its an pokemon that plays with Items.
    Using Magic room will leave all the items inactive for 5 turns, which is an great oppertunity to get some Calm mind boost's. Once Magic room is over you are ready to sweep.
    because when Magic room is finished, your Choice scarf will take affect with the Calm mind boost's. This is an excellent strategy to counter Switch-in Mega's, due magic room will not allow them to mega Evolve, but you need to play your cards right as this is a gimmicky set but could turn out excellent in your favor.
    Last edited by Azulart; 5th November 2013 at 3:38 PM.

Visit my Secret Base and let me know if you enjoyed it

Quote Originally Posted by ajgrocks100 View Post
    (sorry for big quote) One thing I would change is grass knot. While it works agains waters like Jellicent, how many times have you even seen that thing used as of gen 6 :P. Hidden Power Fighting seems to be a better option, as T-tar seems to be a primary threat. BTW mega t-tar isnt even 2HKOD by grass knot, and with pokemon houndoom walling this set to shreads, HP fighting gives this Delphox a trick up its sleeve.
    That's a good idea, I didn't think of Mega Tyranitar or Houndoom. Thanks, I'll edit my post!

Delphox's stats scream special sweeper, but it can be a great support Pokemon and item manipulator as well. Apart from that, 75/100 Special Defense is very respectable for a primarily offensive Pokemon. Assuming Delphox will be used in UU, a Sunny Day set will prove to be quite a reliable set unless automatic weather (Drizzle and Sand Stream) is allowed in it.

A Fire Magic Trick Gone Wrong
    Item: Salac Berry/Petaya Berry (correct me if it's not available)
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed

-Sunny Day/Psyshock/Hidden Power Fighting/Grass Knot
    -Calm Mind/Substitute/Flame Charge
    -Fire Blast
    -Psyshock/Hidden Power Fighting/Grass Knot

This set aims to set up on slower Water-types, or switch ins, with Sunny Day. It effectively nerfs Special Water type attacks in tandem with it's decent Special Defense, rendering uninvested Slowbro and other Water-Types unable to 2HKO it. To exemplify, Scald from uninvested Slowbro, whom has decent 100 Base Special Attack, can only 4HKO it in the sun, and will struggle as it sets up. Next is the set-up move of choice; Calm Mind increases it's offense and defense, helping it to deal more damage and take hits better. Substitute blocks status, eases prediction and helps to activate the Berry. Flame Charge is for the Speed. Once set up is complete, Delphox can unleash it's almighty Fire Attacks across the entire Tier, with a possible Special Attack boost, Blaze and in the sun, in addition to STAB. Fire Blast coming off 114 Special Attack with three 50% boosts gives it a monstrous 370 Base Power (approximately) meaning that even resists will take a fair amount of damage. With merely +1 (with sun and Blaze factored) it can OHKO specially defensive Umbreon, 252/0 Slowbro, and 2HKO even the bulkiest of Milotic and Blissey, without entry hazards factored in. With even more boosts, only Flash Fire Pokemon will dare to stand against this fox's Fire Attacks. Alternatively, you can incline yourself to use Mega Charizard Y or Ninetales to set up the sun for you (should you want to use it on an OU team) , giving it more room for coverage. Hidden Power Fighting is recommended for Houndoom, but Psyshock and Grass Knot have their merits. If using Flame Charge, use Petaya Berry, and vice versa. Substitute appreciates either berry according to your needs- speed or power.

It's physical vulnerability means that it wont appreciate physical attacks, and at low HP (unless there is a Substitute) priority attacks finish it off. Rapid Spin support is needed as well.
    Last edited by YagamiNoir4896; 7th November 2013 at 4:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YagamiNoir4896 View Post
    A Fire Magic Trick Gone Wrong
    Item: Salac Berry/Petaya Berry (correct me if it's not available)
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Blaze
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Special Attack/252 Speed

-Sunny Day/Psyshock/Hidden Power Fighting/Grass Knot
    -Calm Mind/Substitute/Flame Charge
    -Fire Blast
    -Psyshock/Hidden Power Fighting/Grass Knot

This set aims to set up on slower Water-types Sunny Day.
    why grass knot, if ur countering water types?
    and this set has one minor flaw: Delphox is TOO frail. Like, even with that trollish 104 speed, anything higher *cough* mega evos *cough* can tear this fox apart.
    This means having a pinch berry in beyond useless, as without something like a water type desperately trying to kill you, your basically sweeping very little. Even with a sub, delphox is too physically frail to even survive neutral hits! Its just not worth it.
    PM meh. btw.

Breloom

and now skrelp!

and this set has one minor flaw: Delphox is TOO frail. Like, even with that trollish 104 speed, anything higher *cough* mega evos *cough* can tear this fox apart.
    This means having a pinch berry in beyond useless, as without something like a water type desperately trying to kill you, your basically sweeping very little. Even with a sub, delphox is too physically frail to even survive neutral hits! Its just not worth it.
    You could run Will-o-Wisp on the set with Substitute, so you set up a Sub on something that isn't going to hurt you much (like Bronzong), then use Will-o-Wisp to burn something that's trying to kill you. Most Pokes hate to be burned, even if they're specially attacking, just because of the time limit it sets on them. If it's a Physical sweeper even better. I think a support set is possible, it would just look something like this:

Delphox w/ Leftovers
    Blaze
    Timid
    252 Speed/248 HP/8 Special Defense
    ~Substitute
    ~Will-o-Wisp
    ~Flamethrower
    ~Hidden Power Fighting/Hidden Power Grass/Hidden Power Electric

The hidden power basically covers things you need to take care of. Fighting takes care of T-Tar to some extent, as well as Houndoom and Absol, Grass helps with Rotom-W, Jellicent, Lanturn, and Quagsire, and Electric works wonders on Talonflame (assuming you've got a Sub up), Gyarados, and Azumarill.
    Last edited by PrincessAbsol; 8th November 2013 at 5:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessAbsol View Post
    You could run Will-o-Wisp on the set with Substitute, so you set up a Sub on something that isn't going to hurt you much (like Bronzong), then use Will-o-Wisp to burn something that's trying to kill you. Most Pokes hate to be burned, even if they're specially attacking, just because of the time limit it sets on them. If it's a Physical sweeper even better. I think a support set is possible, it would just look something like this:

Delphox w/ Leftovers
    Blaze
    Timid
    252 Speed/252 HP/4 Special Defense
    ~Substitute
    ~Will-o-Wisp
    ~Flamethrower
    ~Hidden Power Fighting/Hidden Power Grass/Hidden Power Electric

The hidden power basically covers things you need to take care of. Fighting takes care of T-Tar to some extent, as well as Houndoom and Absol, Grass helps with Rotom-W, Jellicent, Lanturn, and Quagsire, and Electric works wonders on Talonflame (assuming you've got a Sub up), Gyarados, and Azumarill.
    Run 248 HP instead of 252 HP to allow yourself 4 Substitutes and increases the times of you switching into Stealth Rock damage.
    Image removed. Check out the signature rules. If you need help, make sure to check out the signature check thread in newbie lounge.

Delphox's physical fraility is inevitable, which is why I mentioned Substitute, which is used on something that you scare out or something that can't really touch you. It's a bad idea to set up a Substitute on something that is conceivably Choice Scarfed, and with a Substitute shielding it from the otherwise fatal attack, non- resists will have to risk taking a Fire Blast or PrincessAbsol's aftermentioned Will-O-Wisp. Delphox can even set up on Choice Scarfers less than 104 Speed as long as it has a Sub as it switches in, as it can Sub until the Berry activates, getting a possible Speed Boost, alongside an additional 50% boost to it's Fire STAB. As for Grass Knot, it's merely a coverage option, you can choose to use either move over it, I'm merely giving an option.

This strategy is basically more of a high-risk/high reward strategy. I forsee that Delphox won't be excessively powerful enough, or even used enough to be in OU, and shall possibly be in the lower tiers, which is why I mentioned this set, although it could still work in OU, alebit in a more harsh and tough environment.
    Last edited by YagamiNoir4896; 8th November 2013 at 7:34 AM.
    Image removed. Check out the signature rules. If you need help, make sure to check out the signature check thread in newbie lounge.

Run 248 HP instead of 252 HP to allow yourself 4 Substitutes and increases the times of you switching into Stealth Rock damage.
    I suppose. That 1 stat points won't make that much a difference anywhere else though, but might as well stick them into Special Defense.
    Last edited by PrincessAbsol; 8th November 2013 at 5:50 AM.

Delphox's physical fraility is inevitable, which is why I mentioned Substitute, which is used on something that you scare out or something that can't really touch you.
    This strategy is basically more of a high-risk/high reward strategy.
    Well Stated. Hadnt really thought over my comment.
    PM meh. btw.

Breloom

and now skrelp!

I think we're all agreed on a few main things. Delphox has great Stats for a Special Attacker, but its Movepool is a letdown. Oddly enough, Will-o-Wisp and Mystical Fire make you pseudo-bulky, but Guts Pokémon, Water Veil Pokémon, Flash Fire Pokémon, and Fire Types simply crack their knuckles, flex their pecs, and lay down hurt that a Delphic Oracle couldn't predict. Base Speed is really good, but there are so many Pokémon with better Speed and a Type Advantage that'll shut it down faster than you can say "Pikachu." Without Legendaries included, Pokémon with better Speed and Type-advantageous STAB Moves include Aerodactyl, Gengar, Weavile, Greninja, Starmie, Floatzel, Houndoom, Mega-Absol, Froslass, Archeops, Liepard, Mismagius, and Zoroark, many of which use Physical Moves or have high Sp.Def. Even then, Delphox has to deal with Stealth Rock...*shudders*...something Fire Types have been sore about since its debut.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Oddly enough, Will-o-Wisp and Mystical Fire make you pseudo-bulky, but Guts Pokémon, Water Veil Pokémon, Flash Fire Pokémon, and Fire Types simply crack their knuckles, flex their pecs, and lay down hurt that a Delphic Oracle couldn't predict.
    First, besides Conkelder, and Fire types, (which are uncommon nevertheless) have guts/water veil/ flash fire and are prominate in the current OU? AND Conk is escpeacilaly nerfed without ice punch! So while it may have little use in the futures OU, use sets like will-o-wisp/mystical fire now before OU gets its beef back.
    PM meh. btw.

Breloom

and now skrelp!

Delphox the Fire Mage
    Blaze w/ Life Orb/Leftovers
    Modest w/ 252 Sp attack, 252 Speed, 6 Sp Defense
    Flamethrower
    Psyshock/Psychic
    Hidden Power [Grass]
    Calm Mind/Magic Coat

Countering
    High Attack and Sp Defense with Water/Ground/Rock/Ghost/Dark-type moves like Gyarados, Tyranitar, Snorlax, Dragonite, or Kangaskhan. Other pokemon includes Aerodactyl and Mega Absol.
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 10th November 2013 at 8:37 AM.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

Just a fun little late-game cleaner set I used when I tried Delphox out. Not too great, but Delphox clearly wasn't meant for OU, so this could be cool in lower tiers.

Delphox Flame Charge Sweeper
    Item: Life Ord
    Nature: Modest / Timid
    Abillity: Magician
    EV's: 252 Sp.attack, 252 Speed, 4 SDef
    - Flame Charge
    - Shadow Ball
    - Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    - Psyshock

Pretty straight-forward strategy. Use Flame Charge against something either weakened or that can't do anything to you, then sweep with LO boosted attacks. Delphox has pretty solid coverage with this set, and Heatran will more than likely not go UU this gen, so he's not really a problem. That's really all there is to say though, a neat late game sweeper, but nothing really special.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12