Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Aegislash Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MedievalMovies View Post
    True.

Are there any true hard counters to this guy in OU?
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdanger View Post

Back on topic, aegislash's unpredictability makes it hard to check, while a special based mixed set can be walled by tanks such as goodra, goodra has trouble stopping swords dance aegislash, and the same is reversed for landorus therian. As i said above, mandibuzz is aegislash's only true counter, resisting shadow sneak, shadow ball, and with its physical defensive set, doesn't take a lot from sacred sword, while aegislash is 2hkoed in shield mode, iirc, by foul play, OHKOed if it swords dances, and can roost to heal off damage, tho it makes it more vulnerable to sacred sword due to it losing its flying typing.
    Most people have been good, but i`m saying this now, stay on topic, and don't make 1 sentence posts, they serve no real purpose and don't really contribute to the thread, I don'i want to see any more of them.

aegislash can be very unpredictable until it uses its first move. Unless it has like shadow ball AND shadow claw (which defeats the competitive purpose) you will have a tough time countering it

Ok I am making a Team for battle maison and I plan to have a Greninja...someone here told me that an Aegislash was a good team mate for it but I'm hesitant about the moveset...Physical or Mixed ?
    3DS Friend Code: 2895 6298 8523. PM me if you add me ^^
    I am a grass type with Ivysaur, Pansage and Gogoat
    Looking for Friend Safaris with : Vullaby, Inkay, Swirlix, Emolga, Galvantula, Tranquill, tropius, Maractus, Nincada, Ariados, Muk, Foretress, Bronzong, Excadrill, Krabby, Azumarill
    PM me if you have one of those

Restarted X: Currently going to Café Lysandre
    For those who added me before try to connect more often, I'll also try in order to get you back on my PSS

Little brother Friend code: 4270-2625-9622
    Grass safari: Oddish-Petilil-??? (He has 5 badges currently)
    please help him fill his friend safari

I personally prefer mixed, as it's harder to check. The set you want to run will really depend on what your team is lacking.

Been messing with Automotize / Weakenss Policy...jury is still out on it
    Banner by: Dragonicwari

PS Names: SoundofMadness, SoM

Well I don't really have a fixed team for the moment I bred a quadruple flawless Protean Froakie yesterday and wanted to use it for battle Maison and on Wifi...but I don't know what else to put in my future team....
    3DS Friend Code: 2895 6298 8523. PM me if you add me ^^
    I am a grass type with Ivysaur, Pansage and Gogoat
    Looking for Friend Safaris with : Vullaby, Inkay, Swirlix, Emolga, Galvantula, Tranquill, tropius, Maractus, Nincada, Ariados, Muk, Foretress, Bronzong, Excadrill, Krabby, Azumarill
    PM me if you have one of those

Restarted X: Currently going to Café Lysandre
    For those who added me before try to connect more often, I'll also try in order to get you back on my PSS

Little brother Friend code: 4270-2625-9622
    Grass safari: Oddish-Petilil-??? (He has 5 badges currently)
    please help him fill his friend safari

Quote Originally Posted by SoundofMadness View Post
    Been messing with Automotize / Weakenss Policy...jury is still out on it
    That sounds deadly! I might try Weakness Policy Aegislash for myself.

As for mine, I keep Malmar with it and throw in a Trick Room. Malmar's attacks and Aegislash's Sword Dances go first most of the time (due to boths' rather low speed) and Malmar throws out some attacks to keep the battle occupied. I really don't mind losing Malmar after the point that the Trick Room has been launched and at least one Swords Dance has been used. Between Shadow Sneak (Which with STAB already has a base 60) and Sacred Sword (Although I am considering bringing back Iron Head) anyone can put this OU monster to good use.
    Pokemon I like: And plenty more!
    Can use any help for Friend Safari, mine are Bugs with Butterfree, Illumoise and an unknown
    I am still learning more and more about Pokemon everyday, so any help/advice along the way for competitive battling is always welcomed and appreciated!
    Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1177 - 6627 - 2469
    Desperately need a Glameow, any help appreciated!

I wonder if Mega/Kangaskhan can potentially check it. It'll be immune to shadow sneak and if you predict right, it can die to a sucker punch or crunch (if you're faster). Or maybe an earthquake for those that don't want to risk a contact move and for breaking through subs.

I guess if you can't really face it out right, then the next best thing is to probably cripple it with status or trick a choice scarf onto it when they're not expecting it.

Might be a stupid suggestion, but what about Pyroar? Being a normal/fire type, it'd be immune and resistant to its stabs. Noble roar can drop both its attack and sp attack stats. It can yawn it to switch out and can flamethrower/fire blast it away without making contact. Yeah I know, it can die to sacred sword too.

Pyroar could work, but Pyroar is too niche in general to be of any help outside checking Aegislash.

My best check for it (in Pokebank) is Heatran. It can come in on most moves and scare it off with Fire Blast.

Quote Originally Posted by The Imposter View Post
    Pyroar could work, but Pyroar is too niche in general to be of any help outside checking Aegislash.

My best check for it (in Pokebank) is Heatran. It can come in on most moves and scare it off with Fire Blast.
    Heatran naturally outspeeds, is barely even 3HKO'd by +6 Shadow Sneak, and can OHKO in Sword Forme with Fire Blast (2HKO in Shield Forme I believe), burn it with Will-O-Wisp, or just Roar it away. Definitely one of the most solid if not THE most solid check to Aegislash out there.

Oh, and he's far from total deadweight outside of checking Aegislash, since he also counters Talonflame and puts a hurt on MegaZard-Y, as well as carrying useful utility moves like Stealth Rock, Roar, etc.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Retribution View Post
    Heatran naturally outspeeds, is barely even 3HKO'd by +6 Shadow Sneak, and can OHKO in Sword Forme with Fire Blast (2HKO in Shield Forme I believe), burn it with Will-O-Wisp, or just Roar it away. Definitely one of the most solid if not THE most solid check to Aegislash out there.

Oh, and he's far from total deadweight outside of checking Aegislash, since he also counters Talonflame and puts a hurt on MegaZard-Y, as well as carrying useful utility moves like Stealth Rock, Roar, etc.
    252+ SpA Heatran Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD (custom): 278-330 (91.44 - 108.55%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Even in Shield Form it tends to OHKO.

To be fair, a calc against Sacred Sword would be better for that, because it would have to come in on that.

252+ Atk (custom) Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 228-270 (70.58 - 83.59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not bad whatsoever.

The one thing that I regret about Aegislash is its status weakness, as Will-o-Wisp will go right through a King's Shield and ultimately ruin everything. With Sacred Sword Kangashkan and Pyroar aren't [as] threatening as normal, which is why I am so on the fence about changing. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it right?
    Pokemon I like: And plenty more!
    Can use any help for Friend Safari, mine are Bugs with Butterfree, Illumoise and an unknown
    I am still learning more and more about Pokemon everyday, so any help/advice along the way for competitive battling is always welcomed and appreciated!
    Pokemon Y Friend Code: 1177 - 6627 - 2469
    Desperately need a Glameow, any help appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by NBP View Post
    The one thing that I regret about Aegislash is its status weakness, as Will-o-Wisp will go right through a King's Shield and ultimately ruin everything. With Sacred Sword Kangashkan and Pyroar aren't [as] threatening as normal, which is why I am so on the fence about changing. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it right?
    this is exactly why I brought up sableye earlier in the post... BUT... if its a special/mixed, will-o-wisp wouldn't harm a fly

Too many people use physically offensive aegislash's, usually brave with 0 speed iv's and gyroball. Its pretty predictable what my opponent's aegislash will be, so im currently working on a special attacking one. May not be the best idea and a total waste of my time but im thinking one with a modest/timid nature that knows shadowball, flash cannon, metal sound, and kings shield(Doubles) paired up with something that can support it with tailwind. For single's id replace kings shield with automize and metal sound with hidden power ground.
    Last edited by Primeguy; 16th December 2013 at 5:47 AM.
    FC: 0146-9877-1395.
    FS: Snubull, Jigilypuff, Clefairy
    Offering: Plethora of 5IV Pokemon
    Looking for: Nothing at the moment
    Shake N Bake. XY Doubles: Bench:

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_dog97 View Post
    this is exactly why I brought up sableye earlier in the post... BUT... if its a special/mixed, will-o-wisp wouldn't harm a fly
    Actually, this is true. Will-o-Wisp is not a reliable way of getting rid of Aegislash.

I usually find myself facing mixed Aegislashes, and while Will-o-Wisp hinders their durability, their Shadow Balls still do tons of damage. You want something that can smash through it's defense without being ruined by Shadow Sneak. Specs Hydreigon, for example, is a reliable check with STAB Dark Pulse.

252 SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 270-318 (83.3 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 234-276 (72.2 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It only needs a little bit of prior damage to get the job done. Dark types in general should give it trouble so long as they avoid Sacred Sword. Relatively bulky wall breakers work as well. I had used a Band Chomp before, and that usually broke through it's defenses in shield form and managed to tank a Shadow Sneak if slash decided to do so.

It's a difficult pokemon to truly counter, however, thanks to it's huge attack/special attack.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Actually, this is true. Will-o-Wisp is not a reliable way of getting rid of Aegislash.

I usually find myself facing mixed Aegislashes, and while Will-o-Wisp hinders their durability, their Shadow Balls still do tons of damage. You want something that can smash through it's defense without being ruined by Shadow Sneak. Specs Hydreigon, for example, is a reliable check with STAB Dark Pulse.

252 SpA Choice Specs Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 270-318 (83.3 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 234-276 (72.2 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It only needs a little bit of prior damage to get the job done. Dark types in general should give it trouble so long as they avoid Sacred Sword. Relatively bulky wall breakers work as well. I had used a Band Chomp before, and that usually broke through it's defenses in shield form and managed to tank a Shadow Sneak if slash decided to do so.

It's a difficult pokemon to truly counter, however, thanks to it's huge attack/special attack.
    since hydreigon is my favorite pokemon, im gonna have to agree with you on this...
    BUT what if the aegislash is holding weakness policy and is sporting sacred sword? hydreigon would NOT be able to withstand a super effective sacred sword

since hydreigon is my favorite pokemon, im gonna have to agree with you on this...
    BUT what if the aegislash is holding weakness policy and is sporting sacred sword? hydreigon would NOT be able to withstand a super effective sacred sword
    It wouldn't want to tank secret sword anyway.

The trick is you make it take a little prior damage. Hurt in the swap in or something, maybe set up some spikes. Then Hydreigon could finish the job. It's pretty difficult to OHKO in shield form.

you make an interesting point in this... hmm, the only counter (which you all know) to aegislash is mandibuzz, so with those attack boosts along with the kings shield secondary effect, mandibuzz should be able to ohko aegislash in both forms effectively with foul play

you make an interesting point in this... hmm, the only counter (which you all know) to aegislash is mandibuzz, so with those attack boosts along with the kings shield secondary effect, mandibuzz should be able to ohko aegislash in both forms effectively with foul play
    It can't OHKO in shield form, most likely, since it's shield form has horrendous attack, but Mandibuzz should probably be able to handle 'Slash just find.

+2 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 266-314 (82 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    +2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 222-262 (52.3 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 218-257 (51.4 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not perfect, but I think we can say that Mandibuzz is a reliable answer to 'Slash. Also, I was too lazy to calc without leftovers.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 18th December 2013 at 4:27 AM.

It can't OHKO in shield form, most likely, since it's shield form has horrendous attack, but Mandibuzz should probably be able to handle 'Slash just find.

+2 0 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 266-314 (82 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    +2 252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 222-262 (52.3 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mandibuzz: 218-257 (51.4 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not perfect, but I think we can say that Mandibuzz is a reliable answer to 'Slash. Also, I was too lazy to calc without leftovers.
    with the attack boosts, aegislash's shield forme can still have enough attack for foul play to do massive damage. And for all you trolls out there, pack defog on it just in case

I think it's better for Aegislash to attack after it's been attacked. I've seen some people try to go for a Swords Dance -> Shadow Sneak strategy with him that, while very nice, can result in someone surviving the attack and hitting it with a super-effective move that will OHKO him because he's still in Blade Mode. So, what I like to do is spend a few EVs on both defenses OR 252HP/252Attack. Endure an attack in Shield Mode and THEN use either Shadow Claw, Iron Head or Sacred Sword. Even if it doesn't kill, the attack will hurt a LOT and he can immediately use King's Shield to block whatever comes at him, including the chance to lower two Attack stages if it blocks a physical move. The same strategy pretty much works for a Special Aegislash, just switch the 252 EVs to SpA and use Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon.

This pokémon is beautiful, definitely one of the best out there.

Honestly, why do people hype King's Shield up so much? Sure, the Attack drop on contact moves is nice, but a lot of his counters don't even use contact moves, instead opting for non-contact moves like Earthquake. In addition, status (most notably Will-O-Wisp) goes right through King's Shield. You can't scout to see whether or not that Dusclops is running WoW with King's Shield. In my eyes it's inferior to Protect in most practical ways.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Honestly, why do people hype King's Shield up so much? Sure, the Attack drop on contact moves is nice, but a lot of his counters don't even use contact moves, instead opting for non-contact moves like Earthquake. In addition, status (most notably Will-O-Wisp) goes right through King's Shield. You can't scout to see whether or not that Dusclops is running WoW with King's Shield. In my eyes it's inferior to Protect in most practical ways.
    Does protect change it back into shield form? I'd assume it does, but I'm not sure. But even if it doesn't, simply the knowledge of that move's existence makes people reluctant to use physical contact moves. If you use protect, you give away that it doesn't have that move, and you're opponent will happily throw out moves like Crunch and Shadow Claw. I haven't actually tried an Aegislash competitively myself, but I know people have messed with me through that move.

...And there are ever times in which Dusclops doesn't run Will-o-Wisp?

One word: Novelty. It's new, and thus it gets a lot of hype. Though it can be sometimes be halfway decent (reiterate: sometimes, halfway decent) against some common things like Talonflame, but I digress. It is unreliable due to not protecting against Will-o-Wisp, which physical Aegislash hates... though mixed Aegislash just laughs at burns as it throws a Shadow Ball in your face.

Does protect change it back into shield form? I'd assume it does, but I'm not sure, but simply the knowledge of that move's existence makes people reluctant to use physical contact moves.
    It does. Any non-attacking move will switch you back to Shield Form.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    One word: Novelty. It's new, and thus it gets a lot of hype. Though it can be sometimes be halfway decent (reiterate: sometimes, halfway decent) against some common things like Talonflame, but I digress. It is unreliable due to not protecting against Will-o-Wisp, which physical Aegislash hates... though mixed Aegislash just laughs at burns as it throws a Shadow Ball in your face.
    To be honest, many Pokemon that carry WoW are well known to carry WoW (e.g. Rotom-W), so keeping Aegislash in on those Pokemon in the first place is just the fault of the player's.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

[In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast