Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Blustery Santalune Gym Battle! (808)

This episode was great. I love how fast paced the gym match was and I wasn't crazy about how Ash handled the lost but I understand I don't like losing either no matter how many times it happens. Also no team rocket was great I'm glad that they kept that part from BW.

Perhaps this is a psychological point where Ash finally added up his losses from the past and thus is becoming self-aware of how much he sucks.

And I am NOT saying he sucks...well, as a character. He sucks as a trainer.

Looking at this we can at least hope that Ash losing a battle will consistently be treated as a big deal in XY and thus, it won't happen often.
    Might as well link my Deviantart gallery, I mainly do Pokemon related stuff, maybe something'll catch your interest.:] http://rohanite.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ash vs Korrina Alternate Ending Comic: http://rohanite.tumblr.com/post/8546...e-with-korrina

This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciated starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig. Started by Dax-360

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Sun View Post
    No, you misunderstood. Obviously Ash is not aware of the fourth wall. I meant the writers have Ash do that for that reason. Plus they give a little extra info about the Pokemon in terms of it's type or characteristics which help in a battle.

I can't get over the Bonnie asking Viola to marry Clemont scene. It was hilarious because Clemont looked genuinely embarrassed xD
    It seems like Bonnie used to do that before because he knew before she asked Viola to be his bride what was coming next.
    Bonnie asking Viola.
    Embarrassed Clemont.

Ash, as always, was clueless as ever and seemed to not know what they were talking about lol.
    Looks like Bonnie becomes a whole new Brock with a twist.
    I am here to help others to solve their problem,and I'm also the big fan of Kissshipping.

FC: 3737-9549-2888
    IGN: Shego

The group interaction seems interesting and DP styled battles are finally back. This episode was good

Oh man, this is the best saga ever and it's only been five episodes.

Everything about this was great - The music, the battle, the group interactions and the actual feeling of the show having depth to it instead of a simple formula.

I can't be bothered to make a huge paragraph but i will say it's great that a Gym Loss was actually reasonable, Ash genuinely doesn't feel reset with Pikachu, the Surskit was strong and tactically beat him.

I haven't nerded out on the anime in so long before XY (the last time was when Mewtwo returning was first announced for Movie 16 before being let down - before that was the back in DP at the league), but here every episode has been great so far. I love it. I really do.

This is my second favourite episode so far in XY next to XY002.

10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter ゴースト View Post
    Oh man, this is the best saga ever and it's only been five episodes.

Everything about this was great - The music, the battle, the group interactions and the actual feeling of the show having depth to it instead of a simple formula.

I can't be bothered to make a huge paragraph but i will say it's great that a Gym Loss was actually reasonable, Ash genuinely doesn't feel reset with Pikachu, the Surskit was strong and tactically beat him.

I haven't nerded out on the anime in so long before XY (the last time was when Mewtwo returning was first announced for Movie 16 before being let down - before that was the back in DP at the league), but here every episode has been great so far. I love it. I really do.

This is my second favourite episode so far in XY next to XY002.

10/10.
    I agree with every single word you said ^^
    It's only been five episodes and I have a feeling this will be one of my favourite sagas. It had a "realistic anime" feel to it that the previous sagas (IMO) did not have.

“Into the darkness they go,
    the wise and the lovely. ”

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Sun View Post
    I agree with every single word you said ^^
    It's only been five episodes and I have a feeling this will be one of my favourite sagas. It had a "realistic anime" feel to it that the previous sagas (IMO) did not have.
    This may be drastic but this, if it keeps up the same quality is my favourite saga without a doubt. I agree, it finally feels like an actual anime show.

I don't like obsessing over episodes, but this one was quite good. Even if the battle, especially Fletchling's win, was rushed, the episode had a nice tone and natural progression. Also, I'm loving Serena. Her personality is so peaceful and she seems genuinely excited, not only to meet Ash, but to start her journey. As simply as her plot is, the mystery behind it is engaging.

Yah, it is interesting how much of a reaction Ash is having to this loss, kind of like it. He hasn't felt this bad about loosing since his six on six battle with Paul in the D / P series. Guess the writers this series really want to show us this series how far Ash wants to push himself to get to his goal, guess that BW series really made him wise up due to his regression in the BW league, you saw how embarrassed he was when noticed that? I like this arc for him the best

Edit;

Poor guy who's out of shape and going to get rejected by girls each episode due to Bonnie, he's going to be driven nuts.
    Last edited by BlueDragonfangirl; 7th November 2013 at 9:45 PM.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Why he lose with a Pikachu thats supposely lvl 100 to a Surskit??? He is still a joke and Pikachu always manages to reset itself to lvl 1.... Beating a Regice and tying with a Latios was made a joke....
    Mii: Kaiyo [Friend Code is 1993-7286-9750. Friend Safari is Normal with ] PSN/Xbox Live/Steam/Twitter/ Youtube/Raptr/Twitch

Quote Originally Posted by KaiyoOrganiz View Post
    Why he lose with a Pikachu thats supposely lvl 100 to a Surskit??? He is still a joke and Pikachu always manages to reset itself to lvl 1.... Beating a Regice and tying with a Latios was made a joke....
    This is the anime not the games. There is no such thing as levels. Plus who knows how many battles Surskit was in? Viola is obviously a talented gymleader in terms of her strategy.

“Into the darkness they go,
    the wise and the lovely. ”

Quote Originally Posted by KaiyoOrganiz View Post
    Uh, better strategies? Ash isn't the only one who can do that yah know?

Pikachu may be really strong but it's not just strength that can defeat a person alone. Ash just needs to think up even better strategies while training his Pokemon.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

I have a question, when Serena went to the gym, did she know he was gonna be there or was she genuinely there for a gym battle??
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

I can't say I was thrilled about Ash losing another early Gym match. The battle itself was fine and like with Clemont it made Viola look skilled more than it made Ash look incompetent, but I would've rather seen that moment of loss pushed back a bit later against another Gym leader. Ash has had a lot of positive momentum in these first few episodes and I'd rather see it come to a screeching halt a little later on when we've had some more time for characterization.

I do really like that they didn't have Ash immediately recognize Serena, this person he's never mentioned in his years of travelling. I thought they did a good job holding out the suspense and made you wonder what exactly happened, even if the answer might not be that significant. Clemont/Bonnie are still doing great as well.

Viola was very well-done, I like that throughout the episode she subtly comes across as a bit less nice then you might think at first, and the little scene with her and Alexa conveyed that their may be a bit of tension in their relationship. The quality of writing has much improved these first few episodes.
    Defeated Super Single Subway Master Ingo - August 19th, 2013

Searching for: Litwick - Near Perfect IVs, Manetric (Shiny) - Good IVs, Switcheroo
    Can offer high IV'd Bagons, Digletts, and Darumakas, as well as DWs, Pokerus, and more, PM me if interesting in negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    I have a question, when Serena went to the gym, did she know he was gonna be there or was she genuinely there for a gym battle??
    Platane had told her Satoshi had gone the Hakudan City to challenge the gym, so she assumed he would be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dephender View Post
    Platane had told her Satoshi had gone the Hakudan City to challenge the gym, so she assumed he would be there.
    Oh, what did she say Alexa and the gang when she first entered??
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Lol this battle was just embarassing for ash. I feel bad for trying to stan for pikachu earlier. I thought he would at least make it to viviliion. On the other hand those people should feel happy he didnt star.

The battle was meh when compared to the bunnelby battle, but the episode itself was quite likeable. I liked Serena's expression in the end.

I would like to just say here that the Pikachu vs Panpour battle was better than Pikachu versus Surskit.

<--My tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu
    DRACO NO STOP. DRACO DOWN. DRACO NO FLIRTING WITH ME.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlerama

FF.Net profile: Here!!
    \

Quote Originally Posted by Dracoflare View Post
    The battle was meh when compared to the bunnelby battle, but the episode itself was quite likeable. I liked Serena's expression in the end.

I would like to just say here that the Pikachu vs Panpour battle was better than Pikachu versus Surskit.
    Meh, at least Pikachu actually got a hit in against Surskit. Against Panpour he just got pounded into oblivion.

Surskit at least used powerful moves that would cripple just about anyone in Pikachu's shoes, where as Panpour used relatively weak attacks.

First episode of the XY Series I actually liked. Hated XY004, disliked XY001-XY002, and XY003 was painfully average to me, but this gave me some hope.

Nice to see Ash caring about his Pokemon more than the battles themselves at the end, where he feels bad for what's happened to his Pokemon over the fact that he lost the Gym Battle. XY Ash came off as a generic hero up until this point, but it's good to see a more distinct personality emerging here than the flat, battle-obsessed freak I feared was coming out of the character like his DP counterpart (no offense to those of you who disagree).

Serena...is such a tool. Don't get me started with her: I'd like to see a goal for her rather than seducing Ash, you know...

Bonnie's gag was actually funny when she tried to find a wife for Clemont. Here's hoping it isn't overused and abused constantly, though. Apart from that, can't say I like anything or find anything unique about Bonnie/Eureka. She honestly pales in comparison to Max to me, tbh.

Clemont was funny: I like this guy. One of the few things about the XY Series I like is this character. Gotta admit, though, I hope he actually develops over the course of the series and isn't just there to be silly, or is flanderized to the point where he is no more than a one-note gag (e.g. DP's Brock, mid-end of BW Cilan).

No Team Rocket acting retarded or goofy this episode? EPIC WIN.

Rating: 80/100 (B-)
    Last edited by PokemonNation2000; 7th November 2013 at 11:33 PM.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Oh, what did she say Alexa and the gang when she first entered??
    She told them she was "just looking around", and asked if it was ok with them that she stayed and watched the battle.

So yeah, she's lying through her teeth.
    Last edited by Dephender; 7th November 2013 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dephender View Post
    She told them she was "just looking around", and asked if it was ok with them that she stayed and watched the battle.
    Ah, thank you. One last question, I know the translations are inaccurate so I thought I should ask you. Did Ash say "I'm sure this next guy will do the trick", When sending out Fletchling?? As in that Fletchling is a boy??

The episode was overall great. The serie is going very, very well so far!

So... First gym battle in the Kalos region, and it ends up as a loss. But this loss was actually very good! I've never felt that much emotion in a single gym battle, seriously! My eyes even became wet at the sight of the poor Fletchling trapped in the sticky web... It was so sad! And how it crashed down in the ice after being hit by Solar Beam! Oh god! My poor baby... Anyway, the battle was incredible. The dodging, the attacks, the defense, everything seems in place to do a wonderful blend.

Serena was great in the episode. She's desperatly in love with Ash, it doesn't make any sense. She even was about to disturbe the gym battle to talk to him. Her interactions with him in the end of the episode were nice. Her last line, "Do you remember me ?" was very well placed. It only gives the watchers the envy to watch the next one, and it really works. The relationship between those two is such a big deal at this point.

And then the siblings, they were funny this time! I'll have a lot of fun watching them throughout the whole serie. Good news; we finally saw Bonnie's wife proposal for Clemont, and Viola even blushed (that's it, I'm loving that pair). Also, seeing Bonnie doing a highfive with Serena as soon as Ash defeated Surskit, even though they just said hello, was so cute. I knew the two girls would have such an interaction! I can see Serena being a good older sister for Bonnie.

Finally, about Viola and Alexa... Viola is so fabulous. Her techniques and her way to talk, oh god. She's so awesome. Her techniques and skills in battle are pretty impressive. How she put out her Pokémon especially for that type of gym battle was pretty neat. Alexa's return was pretty cool too, and her Noivern helping Ash out with training is a nice touch of her side. She really shows a caring side for each of Ash and her sister, which is good.

I loved it, actually! The Pokémon in battle, the character interactions and the scenario... Yeah, great to watch! I will give it a 9/10! Well done!
    « Be the leaf... »

my deviantArt page
    my tumblr page

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast